AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-10-06, 18:25   Link #361
Elestia

Well candy has a long shelf life compared to other perishable foods I guess. Looks like Pina will be heading over to Japan next chapter.
Old 2012-10-06, 19:15   Link #362
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Looks like Pina is about to visit Earth.
Old 2012-10-12, 09:32   Link #363
walt

when 15ch realesed?
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 08:18   Link #364
Ncf

Itīs realesed on the 30th of this month in japan, I think... From what i think Pina will get into the "otaku" ways and djs
Ncf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 07:28   Link #365
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncf View Post
Itīs realesed on the 30th of this month in japan, I think... From what i think Pina will get into the "otaku" ways and djs
well it was said that she was influenced to a degree, right?

still, the Cobras virtually emptying rocket pods (since there were no bigger targets like siege engines why fire the TOW? anti-personnel much?) at the enemy still makes me shiver. I could understand peppering them with bullets but blasting them with several hydras but since its show of force... god that was awesome carnage. seriously, sooner or later armor's gonna roll in the open plains like bawses and a... err... it's probably not gonna be right to call it as such anymore when its like this... a "siege" won't even last a day.
Old 2012-10-18, 11:12   Link #366
Insane
Banned

I just never thought that our modern millitary armaments were so powerful that they completely surpass those medieval troops with huge margin.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 13:09   Link #367
Ncf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
I just never thought that our modern millitary armaments were so powerful that they completely surpass those medieval troops with huge margin.
Of course it surpasses... 10 modern troops are enough for 100 or a bit more medieval if everything goes "normal"
Old 2012-10-18, 13:17   Link #368
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Go study some of the military History form WW1 and how the advance in tech necessitated advances in tactics (Trench Warfare, demise of the Calvary).
Old 2012-10-18, 13:51   Link #369
Awrya
U mad?

As the others said, though JSDF had aerial advantage as well as the element of surprise.
There's a reason why soldiers use firearms and not swords.
Old 2012-10-18, 14:15   Link #370
Ncf

But this manga really is amazing, I considered ordering the Books from amazon.jp but it would cost me 170 euros... 50 of them in shipping, so iīm saving in order to buy the series and 1st volume of the manga

Last edited by Ncf; 2012-10-18 at 17:05.
Old 2012-10-18, 19:00   Link #371
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Yep. Even the smallest modern weapons are an out of context problem for a medieval army.

Your average infantry has a rifle that can be fired about a dozen times faster than a bow. And it's more accurate, and the projectiles can go further. And the best medieval armor is useless against it. Just a couple of squads of rifle infantry would be a huge threat to a medieval army. This isn't even counting for the fact that the JSDF had howitzers. And it's not like how Hollywood portrays artillery. A 155mm shell air-bursts directly over a mass of soldiers shoulder to shoulder? You're looking at 100 casualties right there. And the Howitzers aren't gonna stop firing for your convenience.

There's a reason why modern warfare is so much about not being seen. Because our weapons are powerful and accurate enough that being targeted almost always means you can be killed instantly.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 21:25   Link #372
willx
Nyaaan~~

^ Also don't forget that even normal guns can "indirect fire" although it's not typically thought of as useful. Records are hard to find, but there is speculation there have been quite a few casualties due to bullets recklessly fired into the air ..
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 22:38   Link #373
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Yep. Even the smallest modern weapons are an out of context problem for a medieval army.

Your average infantry has a rifle that can be fired about a dozen times faster than a bow. And it's more accurate, and the projectiles can go further. And the best medieval armor is useless against it. Just a couple of squads of rifle infantry would be a huge threat to a medieval army. This isn't even counting for the fact that the JSDF had howitzers. And it's not like how Hollywood portrays artillery. A 155mm shell air-bursts directly over a mass of soldiers shoulder to shoulder? You're looking at 100 casualties right there. And the Howitzers aren't gonna stop firing for your convenience.

There's a reason why modern warfare is so much about not being seen. Because our weapons are powerful and accurate enough that being targeted almost always means you can be killed instantly.
hell, 5-6 MG crews can wipe out an infantry charge, artillery CAN and WILL decimate an entire expeditionary force downright accurately, to add for overkill lulz, helos can simply unload their hydra rocket pods at masses of infantry.
Old 2012-10-18, 22:39   Link #374
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
^ Also don't forget that even normal guns can "indirect fire" although it's not typically thought of as useful. Records are hard to find, but there is speculation there have been quite a few casualties due to bullets recklessly fired into the air ..
I'm pretty sure most well trained soldiers aren't trained to try to fire their weapons like that. And infantry already have far more efficient means of indirect fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
hell, 5-6 MG crews can wipe out an infantry charge, artillery CAN and WILL decimate an entire expeditionary force downright accurately, to add for overkill lulz, helos can simply unload their hydra rocket pods at masses of infantry.
Yep. When the JSDF crossed over into the alternate world, the vast majority of the casualties they inflicted were using artillery. And the siege of that town was broken by a helicopter attack. Casualties in war tend to overwhelmingly be produced by weapons more powerful than rifles. Heck. I think there was a US general in WW2 who made hyperbolic claim that you could have replaced all the service rifles of US soldiers in WW2 with spears, and the US could have still won the war provided they still had machine guns and artillery and tanks.

There are ways a medieval force using clever strategy could wipe out a light platoon of modern infantry. A skirmisher force in a wooded area could skirmish with bows to produce casualties, or occasionally try to ambush with close in attacks (albeit, having to accept significant casualties in either cases). But a large force fighting from a fortified base, with mech infantry, armor, artillery and helicopter support? A medieval force just doesn't have anything in their arsenal to threaten them.
Old 2012-10-18, 23:42   Link #375
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I'm pretty sure most well trained soldiers aren't trained to try to fire their weapons like that. And infantry already have far more efficient means of indirect fire.

Yep. When the JSDF crossed over into the alternate world, the vast majority of the casualties they inflicted were using artillery. And the siege of that town was broken by a helicopter attack. Casualties in war tend to overwhelmingly be produced by weapons more powerful than rifles. Heck. I think there was a US general in WW2 who made hyperbolic claim that you could have replaced all the service rifles of US soldiers in WW2 with spears, and the US could have still won the war provided they still had machine guns and artillery and tanks.

There are ways a medieval force using clever strategy could wipe out a light platoon of modern infantry. A skirmisher force in a wooded area could skirmish with bows to produce casualties, or occasionally try to ambush with close in attacks (albeit, having to accept significant casualties in either cases). But a large force fighting from a fortified base, with mech infantry, armor, artillery and helicopter support? A medieval force just doesn't have anything in their arsenal to threaten them.
well there's the old ways of it, but I don't think that they'll be given time or even the range to set it to motion, let alone reach the base's perimeter from the constant bombardment:
trebuchet - possibly has a high firing arc, but rocks can't do shit to hardened concrete unless they could match HE ordnance
ballista - I still don't know how effective as fuck this was in medieval warfare, but it would be funny to see a ballista bolt to try and pierce a tank
siege ramps - as if they could reach the wall pushing that through the barbed wire, heavily mined perimeters and MG's, mortars and big guns threatening to zero them in
battering ram - I'm not sure what good will that do against a base that has literally have EVERYTHING set to kill you as you try to bang that log at their doors

if that wasnt a challenge enough, I'd like to see them laugh at what the soldiers are carrying a "great steel rod that produces fire" and their faces when they blast a siege engine to bits.

incendiaries could help them... a bit...
Old 2012-10-19, 06:23   Link #376
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
well there's the old ways of it, but I don't think that they'll be given time or even the range to set it to motion, let alone reach the base's perimeter from the constant bombardment:
trebuchet - possibly has a high firing arc, but rocks can't do shit to hardened concrete unless they could match HE ordnance
ballista - I still don't know how effective as fuck this was in medieval warfare, but it would be funny to see a ballista bolt to try and pierce a tank
siege ramps - as if they could reach the wall pushing that through the barbed wire, heavily mined perimeters and MG's, mortars and big guns threatening to zero them in
battering ram - I'm not sure what good will that do against a base that has literally have EVERYTHING set to kill you as you try to bang that log at their doors

if that wasnt a challenge enough, I'd like to see them laugh at what the soldiers are carrying a "great steel rod that produces fire" and their faces when they blast a siege engine to bits.

incendiaries could help them... a bit...
Yeah that's the thing. Since the JSDF have howitzers, they can pretty much just sit in their base and fire hundreds of shells at anybody who comes within 24-30 kilometers of their base. And that's exactly what happened to the feudal lords who tried attacking the JSDF. They got schwacked by howitzers before they even realized the engagement had started.

The fact the JSDF even built a starfort might be a sign that the JSDF was perhaps being overly cautious. Since so far it seems their enemies haven't had the ability to even physically threaten the concrete walls of their base.
Old 2012-10-19, 08:07   Link #377
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

I am honestly surprised that the japanese to chinese translators haven't picked this up yet.
Avrorrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 08:19   Link #378
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I feel sorry for those vassal lords. Dying horrifically without even seeing or fighting the enemy. With those forces gone, who will the Empire send next?
Old 2012-10-19, 08:35   Link #379
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
I am honestly surprised that the japanese to chinese translators haven't picked this up yet.
This series was written by a Japanese nationalist, and the Chinese aren't presented in a good light.
Old 2012-10-19, 08:45   Link #380
Insane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I feel sorry for those vassal lords. Dying horrifically without even seeing or fighting the enemy. With those forces gone, who will the Empire send next?
The Empire were really stupid and stubborn. They're clearly realizing that their enemies on Alnus are on God's level, yet they still repeat their futile attempts anyway.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, harem, military science fiction