AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-12, 04:38   Link #1041
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I'm not understanding the love for Angel Beats. The show has promise which it has yet to capitalize on 6 episodes in (over 2 hours of content) and frankly I can't see how it's anything other than a mess of concepts that have yet to receive any definition or mesh together in the slightest. It might help if the show didn't devote over half of it's time to slapstick comedy and random over-animated concerts (what's with this trend anyway) with ticker tape flying around everywhere. Really though when you're 6 episodes into a show and still barely have any idea what is going on it's hard to identify with what you are watching.
Have you read the prequel novels and manga? If you haven't, that maybe the problem.
Old 2010-05-12, 12:23   Link #1042
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Have you read the prequel novels and manga? If you haven't, that maybe the problem.
The thing is.. he shouldn't HAVE to. Anime should be able to stand on its own as a story-telling medium. Also, anime series pretty much serve as advertisement for the merchandise. It expands and extends the potential audience for the source material ... so if the anime leaves you empty you aren't going to buy the merchandise.

On a separate note, this whole thread is subjective opinion - a place where people can scratch their heads at what others like. Everyone should try to be civil about it though and avoid the "series X is crap and you're stupid/lame/gay if you like it" that the insecure resort to.

I've watched Angel Beats for six episodes and am still saying "so what?" at the end of each episode. I think I just roll my eyes at the basic premise and the *feeling* that it is launching on top of 'haruhi memes' to capitalize on those motifs. That doesn't mean it doesn't have merit.. just that it doesn't push MY buttons.
Old 2010-05-12, 13:33   Link #1043
Demon God
Banned

Amaenaideyo and Amaenaideyo! Katsu are a disgrace to all hardcore Ecchi genre fans...,seriously..
Old 2010-05-12, 13:35   Link #1044
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiopz View Post
toradora...the girls voice made my ears bleed
i didnt mind in zero no tsukaima but that voice will shorten my lifespan so shakugan no shana is also on my do not want
You should probably avoid Rie Kugamiya's voice pack for the Japanese market Maplus 2 GPS package then.

I'm a bit surprised to here someone say her voice was more annoying in Toradora than ZnT. I agree that her voice can be grating in Shana though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I've watched Angel Beats for six episodes and am still saying "so what?" at the end of each episode. I think I just roll my eyes at the basic premise and the *feeling* that it is launching on top of 'haruhi memes' to capitalize on those motifs. That doesn't mean it doesn't have merit.. just that it doesn't push MY buttons.
A few days back I was discussing Angel Beats and it's "everything and the kitchen sink" approach to anime with a friend. I remember at one point joking that "So it's basically Code Geass done by Key?" At which point my friend said he thought that was actually a pretty good description of it.

I actually enjoy the show for it's mash up, parody like nature... I'm just not sure that's what the writers are intending. As to the characters, well, it's probably not a good thing when I throw my support behind a particular character due to fanart (soooo cute...) rather than the show itself.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2010-05-12, 14:02   Link #1045
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

The eps 6 of Angel Beats is the one of the most horrible episode I ever seen. And not too mention the eps 3 is kinda sucky too for the two eps which supposed to make a impact to positive respond they are fail hard there, and yes I'm not understand how people can like that show. But I do understand the hype, the solely reason I'm still watching it because I miss hype like AB cause' since Code Geass air time.
Old 2010-05-12, 14:30   Link #1046
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, Code Geass, concept and execution, was a huge fail for me, so that may explain a bit of my feelings.
Old 2010-05-12, 14:37   Link #1047
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I see Angel Beats as Umineko (TV) done by Key... and enjoy it for the same reason. (aka stupid shit happens for no reason, random violence, and the writing staff is obviously drunk, also a whole lot of theorizing for nothing. Also, fanservice) But it's pretty and sounds good!

Shows are a lot better when you take them less seriously.

*Goes back to facepalming*

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-05-12, 14:43   Link #1048
Demon God
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiopz View Post
toradora...the girls voice made my ears bleed
i didnt mind in zero no tsukaima but that voice will shorten my lifespan so shakugan no shana is also on my do not want

k-on was hella boring too

Yes...,lately K-on started to get..,boring. But I'm also lucky to get some cool 3D images of the characters...
Old 2010-05-12, 14:55   Link #1049
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Hmmm, Code Geass, concept and execution, was a huge fail for me, so that may explain a bit of my feelings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I see Angel Beats as Umineko (TV) done by Key...

Shows are a lot better when you take them less seriously.
The CG part I'm kinda agree, but hell, comparison to umineko more fitting

Take it less seriously ?
The show itself do make things happen' otherwise for me, they make Dramatic scene like a comedy with Gay jokes pops from nowhere, and then make killing and massacre as gags

So how the the hell I'm supposed to behave

Last edited by fertygo; 2010-05-12 at 15:04. Reason: fix spelling
Old 2010-05-12, 15:16   Link #1050
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
The CG part I'm kinda agree, but hell, comparison to umineko more fitting

Take it less seriously ?
The show itself do make things happen' otherwise for me, they make Dramatic scene like a comedy with Gay jokes pops from nowhere, and then make killing and massacre as gags

So how the the hell I'm supposed to behave
I really have no idea, so I stopped worrying (Just like I did with Umineko ). But yea, the humor/drama balance is bad.

Basically my response to events is similar to the ones in Umineko "sure why not??" and "This is stupid even for this show".

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-05-12, 15:55   Link #1051
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It's weird because i didn't like Code Geass or Haruhi and yet I like Angel Beats. It really just a marmite thing...

Quote:
The thing is.. he shouldn't HAVE to. Anime should be able to stand on its own as a story-telling medium. Also, anime series pretty much serve as advertisement for the merchandise. It expands and extends the potential audience for the source material ... so if the anime leaves you empty you aren't going to buy the merchandise.
I know and, truth be told, I find it rather irritating myself because the anime would clearly work better if the prequels and background info had been added into the anime. especially after watching episode 6...
Old 2010-05-12, 17:19   Link #1052
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Which Code Geass? I think 90% will agree if you're talking about Part2...

@Haak - What anime is that in your siggy? Interesting animation...
Old 2010-05-12, 17:57   Link #1053
Demon God
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Which Code Geass? I think 90% will agree if you're talking about Part2...

@Haak - What anime is that in your siggy? Interesting animation...

I believe it's from Arakawa Under the Bridge.. Which is cool by the way..
Old 2010-05-12, 18:56   Link #1054
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
I see Angel Beats as Umineko (TV) done by Key... and enjoy it for the same reason. (aka stupid shit happens for no reason, random violence, and the writing staff is obviously drunk, also a whole lot of theorizing for nothing. Also, fanservice) But it's pretty and sounds good!
Umineko by Key would actually be a good description but it doesn't have the same LOL factor that describing the show as Code Geass by Key does.

Amusingly enough, Ryukishi07 credits Key as being one the major influences on his work, and he recently helped write the script to Key's upcoming game Rewrite. So there actually is a possibility that he had contact with some of the people who ended up working on Angel Beats.

(This being said, I wouldn't say that shit happens for no apparent reason in those shows... it's more like the rules of reality in the settings they occur in are just really warped.)

Edit: Haak's sig is from Summer Wars.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2010-05-12, 19:31   Link #1055
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Umineko by Key would actually be a good description but it doesn't have the same LOL factor that describing the show as Code Geass by Key does.
Ah, perhaps. I just never got into Code Geass (only watched a little bit and it didn't interest me)

Quote:
Amusingly enough, Ryukishi07 credits Key as being one the major influences on his work, and he recently helped write the script to Key's upcoming game Rewrite. So there actually is a possibility that he had contact with some of the people who ended up working on Angel Beats.
Yea, I can definitely see the influences and I like it a lot since Higurashi and Key takes up a lot of space on my favorites. Aye, they must have all gone drinking and came up with it.

Quote:
(This being said, I wouldn't say that shit happens for no apparent reason in those shows... it's more like the rules of reality in the settings they occur in are just really warped.)
Yea, I understand that's the point, but the way it is executed makes it look really stupid and random. It's also for the same reason in both sides, being rushed and having too much material to cram into the allotted episodes, as well as poor use of time to get the important stuff in. It causes people to go "What the hell was the point of all this?"

Of course, I like both shows when they don't do this, and they both also have very good soundtracks, so it's not a complete wash. But I can't help but draw parallels between the shows, especially with AB's most recent episode that reminded me of Umineko's frequently abrupt episode endings. I'm afraid AB! may join Umineko in the "wasted potential" show.

edit: Then again, I don't really see "everyone" liking Angel Beats either. IMO, there was already a ton of bias against the show being a Haruhi clone, when most of the similarities are really superficial. The other thing is the show's own fault for hyping itself up so massively and naturally many were disappointed.

Actually, many of the shows listed here I can't see "everyone" liking. This thread should just be "Popular anime you hate"

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2010-05-12 at 20:28.
Old 2010-05-13, 00:40   Link #1056
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Everyone still have fun discussing AB huh... to be honest I'm not have any expectation again after eps 6, Its like the script is decent enough but the execution is done" very poorly... But I'm planned to watch Haibane Renmei, people said the concept is similar to AB but the execution far more better, maybe after watching its my opininion to AB will get better (or maybe even more worse)
Quote:
Actually, many of the shows listed here I can't see "everyone" liking. This thread should just be "Popular anime you hate"
Nah... the titles already fit enough, it kinda have "sarcasm" feel on it
Old 2010-05-13, 01:18   Link #1057
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Koihime Musou has recently gave me a foul taste and a cold slap in realizing how we male fans have become Fudanshis.
Old 2010-05-13, 02:25   Link #1058
Velsy

Well I've really liked Angel Beats, its had its silly moments (the moments you ask the devs what are they doing) but I have enjoyed it. But over the last few weeks I been hearing people around me talk how bad it is.. So now I think maybe I just have bad taste in anime. I mean I find the comedy really good, and so is the music. I mean I laughed so much when they got killed by traps and the music would play. But then thats just me I guess and noone else. Guess I better stop recommending it to people if its really that bad :s. It sorta dont see anime the same way as others I guess. Makes sense since I am the only one whos actually liked Emiyo Shirou. Whos suppose to be the most hated character by everyone.

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Old 2010-05-13, 02:43   Link #1059
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

People will love Emiya after everybody can watch UBW muvi
or maybe not, CURSE YOU DEEN !!!
Old 2010-05-13, 02:48   Link #1060
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
So now I think maybe I just have bad taste in anime.
No such thing. Taste is taste. That's like saying you should absolutely like vanilla over chocolate.
Closed Thread