AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-07-14, 05:13   Link #1
SanttuH
Don't you *beep* with her

explorer.exe crashes

This is kind of pissing me off. When this happened before, I knew a quick resolution for it...

When I open my anime folder, the explorer crashes. Simple as that. But, I know what's causing it, but ironically don't know how to fix it. I downloaded an episode of this anime (it's irrelevant), it's not Shin Otaku's (their eps., especially Naruto, crashes my explorer too) and now when I tried to acces the anime folder the explorer crashes.
Nooow, I moved the ep. into another folder within the anime folder, and it still crashes, and when I try to acces that folder where it is the explorer crashes immediately, without any notice... (Oh what a genius one am I?)

And yes, this has happened before, with Shin Otaku's Naruto releases, but I just deleted them when the comp. was reporting of the error. Now I can't do this because explorer.exe crashes immediately and THEN asks if I want to report the error. Geee.

Little help please.
SanttuH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 06:18   Link #2
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanttuH
This is kind of pissing me off. When this happened before, I knew a quick resolution for it...

When I open my anime folder, the explorer crashes. Simple as that. But, I know what's causing it, but ironically don't know how to fix it. I downloaded an episode of this anime (it's irrelevant), it's not Shin Otaku's (their eps., especially Naruto, crashes my explorer too) and now when I tried to acces the anime folder the explorer crashes.
Nooow, I moved the ep. into another folder within the anime folder, and it still crashes, and when I try to acces that folder where it is the explorer crashes immediately, without any notice... (Oh what a genius one am I?)

And yes, this has happened before, with Shin Otaku's Naruto releases, but I just deleted them when the comp. was reporting of the error. Now I can't do this because explorer.exe crashes immediately and THEN asks if I want to report the error. Geee.

Little help please.
I never heard of that error before but I assume you have some sorta codec issue.

[Level 1]
Could it be that you configured the explorer to always show some kinda preview of video and image files (the first frame of the video)?
Since I don't know the English word for it (That's why I had to use an awkward description above), I'll clarify what I mean with a pic:
You are most likely using the first option ("Miniaturansicht"). Change it to list ("Liste") and try to access the folder again. Does it still crash? If it does not you can delete the files that cause the problem now (but don't do it since we might be able to solve the problem. Also, wait until some other people give you advice on how to handle the problem if my solution does not work. I don't want to be blamed for you deleted files )

[Level 2] Installing the codecs

1. Uninstall all of your codecs (I mean all)
2. Go to the Media Configuration Guide and install ffdshow-alpha. That will suffice for most anime fansubs. If you have trouble playing back *.mkv and ogm files, read on:
OGM: Install OggDS and playback with any media player
MKV: Install the mkv codec and Playback with Medial Player Classic (refering to mkv files)
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 06:24   Link #3
SanttuH
Don't you *beep* with her

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
[Level 1]
Could it be that you configured the explorer to always show some kinda preview of video and image files (the first frame of the video)?
Since I don't know the English word for it (That's why I had to use an awkward description above), I'll clarify what I mean with a pic:
http://img23.exs.cx/img23/7395/1---View.gif
You are most likely using the first option ("Miniaturansicht"). Change it to list ("Liste") and try to access the folder again. Does it still crash? If it does not you can delete the files that cause the problem now (but don't do it since we might be able to solve the problem. Also, wait until some other people give you advice on how to handle the problem if my solution does not work. I don't want to be blamed for you deleted files )
*Bangs himself with a frying pan*

Really, how can it be such a simple thing?
It worked and I deleted the ep. that was causing the problems, since it crashed when I tried to watch it.

Thanks a lot. I shall keep this in mind that I don't use the preview of the first frame...
SanttuH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 06:53   Link #4
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
I doubt you'll even read this answer since Sin found a work around, but hey.

I've personally had this error. if you check the event viewer, you'll see it's a problem with the Xvid codec and caching the thumbnail for the first frame. The solution, so you can still use the "Details" mode, it to disable caching.

This also gets rid of that annoying "thumbs.db" file in EVERY FOLDER.

Open your start menu and choose "Run".
Type "gpedit.msc" and hit Enter.

You'll need to change the following value in "User Configuration/Administrative Template/Windows Components/Windows Explorer". Double click the entry, and select "Enable" in the new window.

Last edited by KeinikuSuki; 2004-07-14 at 09:33.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 07:41   Link #5
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Well, since the problem is solved, can someone give me the English names of the view modi in the picture above? That way I don't have to make an idiot out of myself circumscribing one word. Thanks in advance!
Old 2004-07-14, 09:22   Link #6
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Quote:
Can someone give me the English names of the view modi in the picture above?

I spent 10 mins trying to make it look just like yours!
Old 2004-07-14, 09:25   Link #7
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeinikuSuki
I spent 10 mins trying to make it look just like yours!
Thanks a whole lot!
Old 2004-07-15, 17:25   Link #8
DigitalisAkujin
Web Developer

Send a message via AIM to DigitalisAkujin Send a message via MSN to DigitalisAkujin
You can also deleted the file cousing the crash using command prompt.
DigitalisAkujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-16, 23:14   Link #9
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Y'know... anyone you have to tell that to, is going to need instructions explaining what those words mean. You'd probably be best off starting the information on how to get a command prompt and moving on through the basic DOS commands necessary to get to the correct directory (dir and cd) and ending with the syntax of del. Otherwise you're just wasting your time by posting something that is absolutely meaningless to the person who needs the information.

You might as well have posted "You can also deleted the file cousing the crash using frim frotz." for all the help you provided. Personally I think it would be too much trouble to explain the whole thing, but I hope my post prompts someone with way too much time on their hads to explain it. Maybe even complete with screenshots from the German version of Windows.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-17, 03:34   Link #10
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

In Windows XP/2000 it is possible to open the windows task-manager with the key combination Ctrl+Alt+Del. There should be in the Menu: File=>run new task. Typing in cmd.exe and pressing enter should open a DOS-like command console.
In the console different commands can be used:

cd.. = change to the parent folder of the current folder
cd\ = jump to the root of the drives folders (i.e. F:\parent_folder\child_folder>cd\ => F:\> )
Driveletter: = Change to the drive with the letter "Driveletter"
cd folder = changing to the childfolder (i.e. F:\parent_folder>cd child_folder => F:\parent_folder\child_folder> )

if you have very long folder names or you do not know the complete folder name you can use the tab key (like in Linux/UNIX systems) then the console tries to complete the foldername with the first matching folder-textpattern in the folder_tree

dir = listing of all contents of a directory/folder
dir /p = listing with a key break, so you can read the list, when it is too large for the console window
dir *. = listing folders (directories) only (i.e. you can use this filter with every extension and or filename... dir hello.* would result in a list of all folders and files with the name hello )

erase filename.ext = erase the file with the name "filename" and the extension "ext" in the current directory/folder

to relaunch the explorer running explorer.exe as a new task in the windows task manager or typing it in the command box is needed (there is no need to change to a windows directory as current directory)
Old 2004-07-18, 11:43   Link #11
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Personally I think it would be too much trouble to explain the whole thing, but I hope my post prompts someone with way too much time on their hads to explain it. Maybe even complete with screenshots from the German version of Windows.
Somehow I feel that this post was directed at me
Believe it or not, I wanted to include that option in case the first workaround did not work. But then I decided it would be more efficient to wait until someone actually said that the first workaround did not work... (I felt so lazy that I would have thought I'm a Mod if I didn't know better ).

BTW: KeinikuSuki, I think you can also turn off cashing of thumbnails in "Folder options" (Oh, I hate guessing the English words...) of the Windows Explorer.
Old 2004-07-18, 14:36   Link #12
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Quote:
(Oh, I hate guessing the English words...) of the Windows Explorer.
I know what you mean, its fun (I use the definition of fun lightly) trying to fix a Japanese vesrion of Windows XP.

"OK, now which one of those translates to 'Advanced Settings'?"
Old 2004-08-12, 02:47   Link #13
hacks21

gpedit.msc this is what i click but there seems to be a wrong spelling cause i can't enter it ....
hacks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-12, 10:33   Link #14
plastic unicorn
(miko-senpai)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacks21
gpedit.msc this is what i click but there seems to be a wrong spelling cause i can't enter it ....
hacks21, you are using winME... it may be that you have a different problem, though alas i dont know how to sort it out for you.

any ideas anyone?
plastic unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-12, 23:48   Link #15
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

I guess I should have mentioned that the Group Policy Editor only works for Windows 2000 and XP Professional. Alternatly you can add an entry to the registry manually rather than letting the group policy editor do it for you. Here's a link explaining which key needs to be added.

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/994/
Old 2004-08-13, 20:29   Link #16
hacks21

it isn't working:S the stupid explorer error still pops out then closes my folder:S dammm this happen too on another anime few weeks ago:S
hacks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-14, 15:14   Link #17
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Ok, let's make sure it's the error I think it is. Click on one of the problem files and allow explorer to restart. Open your event veiwer by typing "eventvwr.msc" into your Run dialog box and hitting enter. Check the System and Application tabs for any Errors or Information especially those pertaining to Explorer.exe or Winlogin.exe. Please post the content of any messages here.

Old 2004-08-14, 16:54   Link #18
Green²
It's bacon!

If you got a AAC parser installed from a codec pack, you'll probably want to uninstall it.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote