AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > School Rumble

Notices

View Poll Results: Vote for your Favourite SR Factions (multiple choice allowed)
Flag / Jersey Faction: Harima x Eri 412 63.00%
Oudou / Correct Path Faction: Harima x Tenma 63 9.63%
Onigiri / Riceball Faction: Harima x Yakumo 295 45.11%
Kids Meal Faction: Harima x Eri x Yakumo 157 24.01%
True Oudou Faction: Karasuma x Tenma 89 13.61%
Dream Come True Faction: Hanai x Yakumo 25 3.82%
Flute Faction: Hanai x Mikoto 156 23.85%
Kite / Chocolate Faction: Hanai x Akira 22 3.36%
Glasses Faction: Hanai x Yuuki 28 4.28%
Applejuice / Apple Faction: Imadori x Ichijou 182 27.83%
Banana Faction: Imadori x Lala 33 5.05%
D Faction: Imadori x Mikoto 31 4.74%
Basketball Faction: Asou x Mikoto 75 11.47%
Chinese Food Faction: Asou x Sara 69 10.55%
Cookies / Dynamite Faction: Tani x Tae 45 6.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 654. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-19, 12:05   Link #61
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I've realized that Hanai is pretty honest and decent with his feelings towards Yakumo, but I simply think that the Onigiri faction is beautiful in its impossibility.

Still, one can't help but hope that Yakumo and Harima will discover each other.

I had to laugh when the silent Yakumo had more confessions than Mikoto and Eri and Tenma combined ... that was fun.
Old 2006-05-19, 12:26   Link #62
Trax
Rock beats scissors

I wouldn't say impossible, just unlikely (at this point, anyway). And as I pointed out before, does Onigiri really need to be a romantic relationship?

Yakumo had that many confessions? Although it might be true, I can't recall seeing anything about that... I thought it was Eri having more confessions than Mikoto+Tenma combined?
Old 2006-05-19, 12:32   Link #63
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
i don't think so, if you consider the confession count for mikoto + Tenma = 0, then yes, Eri beats them by one. But I mean if Eri was such a confession-Idol why did Hig- i mean harima's confession affect her so much, if she's so used to it?

eh?
Old 2006-05-19, 13:20   Link #64
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax
Yakumo had that many confessions? Although it might be true, I can't recall seeing anything about that... I thought it was Eri having more confessions than Mikoto+Tenma combined?
It's certainly in the manga (and I think it was in the anime as well), it's when Akira, Mikoto and Eri have a sleepover at Tenma's house.

In the manga (Vol 1 chapter 16) the figures are...
Spoiler for number of confessions:
Old 2006-05-19, 14:09   Link #65
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
i don't think so, if you consider the confession count for mikoto + Tenma = 0, then yes, Eri beats them by one. But I mean if Eri was such a confession-Idol why did Hig- i mean harima's confession affect her so much, if she's so used to it?

eh?
It was the passion and the intensity behind the confession that surprised her. Most guys are just after her for her looks, so Eri is forced to deal with flattery and insincere expressions of emotion from the people around her on a regular basis - you see that in the flashback in Ep.15 as well. Eri is looking for someone who appreciates her for who she is - which is why she doesn't commit to a relationship with the numerous guys who are after her. When Harima comes forward with an earnest (although misdirected) confession, Eri catches a glimpse of what she was yearning for. Contrast the confession from Sano (Ep.8) and Harima (Ep.10) and you'll see what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
Are there any problems if a poll was added to this thread with the following choices (don't forget it would be a multiple choice poll).
You've got most of the relevant factions listed there. Keep in mind that Monkey is not the same as Kid's Meal, though. Monkey is a three-way faction (Harima x Eri x Yakumo - a humorous pairing, rather than a serious one) and Kids' Meal is basically someone who is part Flag, part Onigiri - an undecided vote. I don't think either choice belongs in a serious poll.
Old 2006-05-19, 14:14   Link #66
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm
You've got most of the relevant factions listed there. Keep in mind that Monkey is not the same as Kid's Meal, though. Monkey is a three-way faction (Harima x Eri x Yakumo - a humorous pairing, rather than a serious one) and Kids' Meal is basically someone who is part Flag, part Onigiri - an undecided vote. I don't think either choice belongs in a serious poll.
There is always room for a threesome.
Old 2006-05-19, 14:17   Link #67
Vicke

Quote:
It's certainly in the manga (and I think it was in the anime as well), it's when Akira, Mikoto and Eri have a sleepover at Tenma's house.

In the manga (Vol 1 chapter 16) the figures are...
Spoiler for number of confessions:
1 - Tenma
That Tennôji guy confessed to Tenma.
Old 2006-05-19, 14:40   Link #68
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Yup, you are correct on this. I appreciate that Monkey is indeed not the same as Kids Meal but I combined the two factions when I first created this thread for various reasons.

The problem seemed that that the two factions seemed to be a bit vague, or undefined, and I'm sure they have changed slightly over the time I first looked at the various factions. My understanding is that Kids Meal is more humorous than serious, a threesome comprising specifically of Harima, Eri and Yakumo. Monkey on the other hand (originally) seemed to imply Harima and (either Eri or Yakumo) but not both. I now see that the definition of Monkey has expanded to include candidates such as Eri, Yakumo, Tenma, Tae, Itoko, or in fact any other girl! And I'm not exactly clear if it just means an undefined Harima and (undefined girl) pairing or various multiple girl combinations. All in all, it's best we not go down that path Not in a poll at least otherwise the combinations would be endless

Anyway, I do agree that Kids Meal / Monkey isn't exactly "serious" and it was the one I was most unsure of including in the list but in the end I thought some would still like to have the option of an "exotic" choice even if only for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicke
1 - Tenma
That Tennôji guy confessed to Tenma.
Maybe so but not before Volume 1 chapter 16
Old 2006-05-19, 17:44   Link #69
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
whats with the kids meal? its a bento to me. >.>
You got your rice balls, and you box of...rice....with the red coloured seawed in the middle making the nippon flag. hence, bento.

Anyway bento is a good deal, as someone wise once said, "there is always room for a threesome", i think that was Einstein....
Old 2006-05-19, 18:38   Link #70
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Quote from http://www.wannabefansubs.net/harima...s_Meal_Faction:
"The name comes from a Japanese kids meal being a combination of onigiri and a little japanese flag."
Old 2006-05-19, 19:31   Link #71
LCeh

I think this is one of the few series that would seem totally wrong for the main male lead and the main female lead to be together when it was introduced as the main conflict. I think we can consider this as the original main conflict, seeing as Harima was trying to get with Tenma while she liked someone else, with both being lead characters.

I think it will ruin just about everything about the story. After rewatching some more episodes, I have to say that Eri ending up with Harima would probably be the "best" resolution, although I still root for Yakumo and Harima. Both would be fine as long as Harima doesn't end up wtih Tenma.
Old 2006-05-19, 21:27   Link #72
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Smile

Quote:
The problem seemed that that the two factions seemed to be a bit vague, or undefined, and I'm sure they have changed slightly over the time I first looked at the various factions. My understanding is that Kids Meal is more humorous than serious, a threesome comprising specifically of Harima, Eri and Yakumo. Monkey on the other hand (originally) seemed to imply Harima and (either Eri or Yakumo) but not both. I now see that the definition of Monkey has expanded to include candidates such as Eri, Yakumo, Tenma, Tae, Itoko, or in fact any other girl! And I'm not exactly clear if it just means an undefined Harima and (undefined girl) pairing or various multiple girl combinations. All in all, it's best we not go down that path Not in a poll at least otherwise the combinations would be endless
The phrase "Monkey" comes from Ep.16, when Tenma thinks Harima is going after multiple girls at once. Kids' Meal, as Trax noted, is a Flag stuck in an Onigiri. We wrote up those faction articles on the wiki based on the discussions that we had in here about a year ago. Many of the faction names came up from forum discussions where a name just stuck.

The original set of faction names, however, such as Flag, Onigiri, Dream Come True, Kids Meal, Monkey, and so on, were created by the fans discussing the series on 2channel in Japan. You might say that they're more "official" names - and to the best of my knowledge, they haven't changed over time. I'll check those articles and see if there are any mistakes.

Kids Meal = Sitting on the Fence between Flag and Onigiri
Monkey = Threesome

Humerous factions are always fun, though. Might I suggest Under the Moon and/or Bloody Mary? Those should definitely get a few votes, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCeh
I think this is one of the few series that would seem totally wrong for the main male lead and the main female lead to be together when it was introduced as the main conflict. I think we can consider this as the original main conflict, seeing as Harima was trying to get with Tenma while she liked someone else, with both being lead characters.
Well, the original main conflict is Tenma's quest for Karasuma. In the manga, in fact, Harima doesn't even show up until chapter 2. That's why Tenma x Karasuma is "True Oudou" and Harima x Tenma is simply "Oudou".
Old 2006-05-19, 21:40   Link #73
LCeh

Quote:
Well, the original main conflict is Tenma's quest for Karasuma. In the manga, in fact, Harima doesn't even show up until chapter 2. That's why Tenma x Karasuma is "True Oudou" and Harima x Tenma is simply "Oudou".
I see, thanks for the info. I just personally didn't really think of Tenma x Karasuma as the true oudou since Karasuma barely makes an appearance in the series.

EDIT:

I have a question about the flag faction. I still don't quite get why this is considered flag while the others aren't. What exactly is different between their relationship and others that make them "analagous to Harima making all of the right decisions to end up with a girl whom is highly difficult to end up with.", which is the definition of flag.

Last edited by LCeh; 2006-05-19 at 21:51.
Old 2006-05-19, 21:55   Link #74
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
I have a question about the flag faction. I still don't quite get why this is considered flag while the others aren't. What exactly is different between their relationship and others that make them "analagous to Harima making all of the right decisions to end up with a girl whom is highly difficult to end up with.", which is the definition of flag.
Where did you get that definition from?
A flag is just a branch/turning-point event in a dating sim. Seriously, your definition of a flag event is strange...

One of several reasons why Flag is used, is because Eri and Harirma nearly never have any reason to see each other at all. Specific accidental events, like that of the "umbrella in the rain" Flag event, was what triggered the whole faction. Hence Flag.

Does other factions use flags? Yes, but Harima/Eri was the first. Hence they got the name. The Yakumo/Harima event with the eraser was a flag too, but it came way later in the story. The Glasses faction was also flagged, but once again it was much later.

One thing about most other major factions, is at least one member generally already had feelings for the other. In comparison, Eri's "trigger" for Harima was solely due to the flag and nothing else.
Old 2006-05-19, 21:58   Link #75
LCeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
Where did you get that definition from?
A flag is just a branch/turningpoint event in a dating sim. Seriously, your definition of a flag event is strange...
Oh, maybe I should have quoted the whole thing, since it might not make sense when taken out of context. I got it from wannabe's wiki:

Quote:
Origin of Flag

The name "Flag" finds its origin in an analogy involving dating simulation games.

Dating simulations form a genre of computer games wherein the player makes a set of decisions to influence the outcome of the plot - with the intent of having a relationship with one of several heroines in the story. Different choices can result in endings with different girls - so the player's goal is to end up with the girl of his/her choice.

A "Flag" in computing refers to a set of bits that define a state. Choosing particular answers in dating simulation games causes 'flags' to be set, which direct the flow of the story.

In School Rumble, Harima's actions with respect to Eri can be compared to the choices that a player may make in a dating game. While seemingly random, many of the decisions that Harima makes unintentionally bring him closer to Eri. This is analagous to Harima making all of the right decisions to end up with a girl whom is highly difficult to end up with. When discussions on the manga are held the Japanese 2ch message boards, where the nickname originated, fans of the pairing use the nickname to cheer the couple on.
Basically, I just don't understand why this is considered flag, while others aren't.
Old 2006-05-20, 05:39   Link #76
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Poll now open! Now's your chance to vote for your favourite School Rumble Faction.

This is a multiple choice poll and while we won’t restrict you from voting for every Faction, please try to limit your choice to your top 3 or 4 picks if you can (or at least one from each group). If you are undecided and want to vote for all of them, then so be it, but if you can narrow it down a bit, then that’s even better. If you like one pairing the most, then don’t feel the need to vote for anymore.

Please remember that once you make your vote you may not "come back" later to add or change your previous vote(s). So make sure you know all the factions you want to include in your vote before you click the "Vote Now" button.

And of course the vote is public, so your votes will be visible.

Thread Rules
  • No campaigning for votes.
    What this means is don't post something like this:

"VOTE FOR KIDS MEAL!!!" Or…"Yakumo >>>>> Tenma" Or… "DO NOT VOTE FOR HARIMA x ERI!!!!111 "

Any post with "Vote for…/Do not vote for..." verbiage will be deleted. Discuss why you do or don’t like characters or factions without campaigning for votes.

• Do not insult or harass other members for their choices.
    Please remember: this is for fun. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a faction you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won’t be tolerated.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It’s great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

Thanks to Catgirls for the thread template!

Note: The poll now only includes the Kids Meal faction (before I was considering calling this the Kids Meal / Monkey faction). Since the Monkey faction is essentially a "sitting on the fence" faction, this it can be represented by people either voting for all the appropriate Harima pairings or none of them A vote for Kids Meal is specifically a threesome combination.
Old 2006-05-20, 09:41   Link #77
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Smile

Quote:
Basically, I just don't understand why this is considered flag, while others aren't.
Well, it has to do with the randomness of the events, more than anything else. Harima makes choices that result in scenes with several different girls - Tenma, Eri, Mikoto, Tae, and Yakumo. The point is with Eri x Harima, their meetings are completely random, but they just keep getting thrown together. Harima is actively trying to avoid Eri, but he inevitably ends up with her based on seemingly random decisions that he makes. Whether you take the scene where he confesses to her, where he picks her as a swimming student, or where he just happens to bash in just the right wall for firewood during the Tea Club trip, pretty much every interaction that the two occurs by a strange series of accidents.
He may have met up with Tae and Yakumo by accident, but after their first meetings, he continues to seek their company whenever he needs it. There's no moment in time when Harima is trying to be with Eri - it's circumstance that constantly pulls them together. That's the main point behind the faction name - it's an "impossible couple" that's strangely possible.
Old 2006-05-20, 11:13   Link #78
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

To keep it short and simple while not sounding stupid and condescending, I like the Riceball faction because Yakumo is truer to herself than Eri ever was and that I see change occurring with Yakumo and Harima if ever they'll end up together (hopefully, they will.) I meant a change for the better, that is.

Simply put, I couldn't see how regular fighting can be considered to contribute to a great relationship, but that's me. I'd have posted more, but that's just reiterating what I said over at WF.
Old 2006-05-20, 11:37   Link #79
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
I'll also make a stab at answering your question because I think people are misunderstanding the point you are making.

I think the confusion is because it's easy to assume the way the terms "faction" and "flag" are being used. It's very easy to think that the two words are interchangeable, faction = flag. Now in context, it's clear that they don't mean the same thing but I think that I possibly had the same thoughts as you when I first saw talk about flags and factions.

Initial, I thought "flag" to mean "what flag are you under", or "what group do you belong to or support". Therefore, each of the pairing groups were under a particular flag, such as the Jersey Flag, the Oudou Flag, the Onigiri Flag, etc. To me, this made sense because I could imagine the expression of "flying the Jersey flag with pride".

So yes, all the different factions could also be called flags, but it seems the terminology in common use is to call the groups Factions, and one of these factions just so happens to be called the "Flag faction". In this context, flag doesn't mean the banner you support, it just happens to be the name of one of the specific groups.

Hope that made some sense
Old 2006-05-20, 11:49   Link #80
LCeh

That made sense xris, but I don't think that was the thing that confused me. I knew the term "flag" applied just to Eri and Harima, but I didn't understand why the relationship between Harima and Eri fitted the flag description, while others didn't.

Swamp made some very good explanations, and I think I get it now.

Thanks a lot for you guys' help.
Closed Thread