AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni (Season 1) - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 40 12.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 5.13%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 50 16.03%
7 out of 10 : Good 66 21.15%
6 out of 10 : Average 48 15.38%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 29 9.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 28 8.97%
3 out of 10 : Bad 15 4.81%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 4 1.28%
1 out of 10 : Painful 16 5.13%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-01-02, 14:10   Link #21
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Without love it shouldn't be seen, but they put it on TV anyway and this is the result
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-02, 22:13   Link #22
Arachanox
Trust the red.

Similar to another person's earlier mentioning, I found the anime as a sort of supplement to the Visual Novel rather than as a standalone anime; thus, my score is higher than most. I found it in general very entertaining and sufficient until the very last episodes of EP4 where the excitement vanished as did the consistency. The third arc was definitely the best, as were any scenes with Eva-Beatrice.

In terms of adaptation quality? I don't really care. I watched for the entetainment, and since I understood the core story already from the VN, I found it very entertaining. So:

8/10.
Arachanox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 15:23   Link #23
Nontype
CONTRACTS

Went into the anime/vn around the same time, so..

Art - 6. Can't complain too much (ubiquitous QUALITY moments aside), because I loved most of the character adaptations.

Animation - 2. It's like they cut out as many action sequences as they could get away with, making the show mostly talking heads. Ronove/Jessica fight was a good example of this.

Pacing/Direction - 0. They rushed right into the murder sequences, cutting severely into a lot of character development that they tried to cram in later. They also cut all the comic relief, making the series seem overwhelmingly dark. The pacing is incredibly bumpy and uneven, missing a lot of the vital hints and plot points. They should have just done 2-3 arcs in the first season to make more room.

Voice Acting - 8. Moreso than the character designs, this is really what shines in the Umineko amine. Beatrice's VA is PAAFEKTO, and I think that all the voice actors managed to capture the essence of their characters very well, although the emotional content was lacking in some spots.

Overall - 4. Umineko had a lot of potential as an anime adaptation. I think that with the right people, it could possibly have become really popular. Studio DEEN are not the right people for anything other than concentrated suck. I wonder, does Japan have any good Lynchian-style directors? Because that could have singlehandedly made this series amazing. Hell, I'd settle for Cronenberg style.
Nontype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 18:28   Link #24
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
It was a fairly enjoyable ride. I have not played the visual novel, so I cannot draw a comparison, but the overall story was within my expectation from what I know from Higurashi.

There are some arcs that I really liked, such as the third arc. I have always followed the stereotype that Tsunderes are generally the most honest arch-types out there (when showing their dere side). Well, not anymore. My leg got pulled so very perfectly. Couple that trolling with the mention of endless eigh--nine and the voices of Sugita and Ono, I can't help but crack a smile.

There are, however, many instances for which my suspension of disbelief simply shattered. I'm pretty sure that's the point, though, as we're forced to decide whether magic truly exists. Yet, some of the scenes are downright silly. I can't help but laugh at moments that I should not.

With such a diverse cast of character, few stands out as my favorites:
Beato: such an amazing villain. She makes the show what it is-- I hope those Loli witches take notes on how to become badass like her.
Kyrie: A character that, while admitting to her defeat, never had a hysterical outburst. Her jealous side is also pretty sexy.
Virgilia: She came up with the epic troll. How awesome is that?

And the few that I do not particularly like:
Maria: never liked Children, their delusions, and the creepy laughing child arch-type.
Ange: Came out of nowhere and was in line with Maria's fantasies. I also do not like the plot device of: oh this is what happened (or could have happened) in the future. As the witches said, Ange is a high maintenance piece.

Overall, I would give this a 7/10. Pretty fun, and I would definitely watch the second season, if there is going to be one.
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 01:42   Link #25
Kite22
Wielder of the Bracelet

Send a message via AIM to Kite22
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
A wonderful mystery anime. I'm almost shocked this was made by the same group as Higurashi... I wonder if they really want the audience to try and solve everything in a logical manner, with girls flying around and turning into spikes and people teleporting around in the most entertaining outfits.
Well, I'm sure they can answer everything with "It was just a delusion."
Heck, it couldn't even turn into horror, with overdone face distortions that only brought laughter.

Either way, I'd give it a 1/10 for being so disappointing as a person looking forward to a mystery, but I'd say 4/10 because it was so entertaining as a comedy. Too bad 11eyes beat it there.

2nd season?
Heh.
No, I was just laughing over the dragon in the last episode, that's all...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing View Post
It was a fairly enjoyable ride. I have not played the visual novel, so I cannot draw a comparison, but the overall story was within my expectation from what I know from Higurashi.

There are some arcs that I really liked, such as the third arc. I have always followed the stereotype that Tsunderes are generally the most honest arch-types out there (when showing their dere side). Well, not anymore. My leg got pulled so very perfectly. Couple that trolling with the mention of endless eigh--nine and the voices of Sugita and Ono, I can't help but crack a smile.

There are, however, many instances for which my suspension of disbelief simply shattered. I'm pretty sure that's the point, though, as we're forced to decide whether magic truly exists. Yet, some of the scenes are downright silly. I can't help but laugh at moments that I should not.

With such a diverse cast of character, few stands out as my favorites:
Beato: such an amazing villain. She makes the show what it is-- I hope those Loli witches take notes on how to become badass like her.
Kyrie: A character that, while admitting to her defeat, never had a hysterical outburst. Her jealous side is also pretty sexy.
Virgilia: She came up with the epic troll. How awesome is that?

And the few that I do not particularly like:
Maria: never liked Children, their delusions, and the creepy laughing child arch-type.
Ange: Came out of nowhere and was in line with Maria's fantasies. I also do not like the plot device of: oh this is what happened (or could have happened) in the future. As the witches said, Ange is a high maintenance piece.

Overall, I would give this a 7/10. Pretty fun, and I would definitely watch the second season, if there is going to be one.
Ange didn't really come out of no where though, she was mentioned quite a few times in the novels before she made her on screen debut, and I'm not sure I see the problem with her "being part of Marias fantasies" since Ange was supposed to help deliver the clue that theirs all sorts of magic and that it does actually exist.
Kite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 01:56   Link #26
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite22 View Post
Ange didn't really come out of no where though, she was mentioned quite a few times in the novels before she made her on screen debut, and I'm not sure I see the problem with her "being part of Marias fantasies" since Ange was supposed to help deliver the clue that theirs all sorts of magic and that it does actually exist.
There's the problem. Guess what anime-only viewers think?
Old 2010-01-04, 13:04   Link #27
Golden Witch Drugs
しゆあげいん。

Puh, I finally came around doing this review~

Spoiler for Best and worst::
Golden Witch Drugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 13:20   Link #28
Baru

Send a message via AIM to Baru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite22 View Post
Ange didn't really come out of no where though, she was mentioned quite a few times in the novels before she made her on screen debut
Because twice = quite a few

I felt in the VN she came out of nowhere just as much as she did in the anime

It's really useless to justify every single negative opinion as a result of the anime, when the same reaction can be felt from your glorious VN
Baru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 14:01   Link #29
Orophin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baru View Post
Because twice = quite a few

I felt in the VN she came out of nowhere just as much as she did in the anime
The biggest difference concerning Ange in the VN is that we knew who she was and why she wasn't able to go to Rokkenjima since the prologue of Episode 1. Though I'll admit it kinda looked like Ryukishi himself forgot that she existed at times.

Also, only twice? I'm pretty sure she was at least mentioned three times before her appearance in Episode 3.
Orophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 21:04   Link #30
June 1983

Quote:

It's really useless to justify every single negative opinion as a result of the anime, when the same reaction can be felt from your glorious VN
Don't be a wanker.

And she is mentioned more than twice in the VN
June 1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 21:27   Link #31
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Quote:
You're right! Almost all of the VN's flaws are present in the anime. Ange being partly forgotten in 1986 is surely one of the biggest.

But the anime is responsible for a whole ton more.
Old 2010-01-05, 00:36   Link #32
Chishio no Hana

I'm finally going to write my review. To be honest, I was part was through the anime before I started to read the VN. That was why I knew about some things, but didn't know about others. At first, I thought it was a pretty good anime. The artwork was beautiful, and the voice actors were amazing. Then it began to let me down.

Animation: As I said, the character designs were very beautiful. Unfortunately, DEEN began to make many mistakes near the end of arc four..... They went over the top Higurashi-like with Maria's facial expressions...also, were the chest enlargements really necessary? 7/10

Voice actors: Oh. My. Gosh. These guys were amazing. They were undoubtedly the best thing in this series. Plus, some of my faves were in there (Ohara, Yuu, Yui and Miki) and I was also surprised at how Daisuke Ono portrayed Battler (when I first heard of it, I thought that every time I heard this guy speak I would think of Akasaka). All of there guys did a great job. 10/10

Script: To be honest, I'm not really sure..... It could have been a million times better, but...they didn't cut too much important stuff out.... 8/10

Adaption from VN: I think DEEN is controlled by Bern and Lambda and are trolling us all! at some points, it was an extremely good adaption. Others... well.... I'm surprised that I am the first to bring this up, but I actually thought that Kanon was in love with Shannon for the first 7 episodes because DEEN couldn't spend about ten seconds of the first episode explaining Shannon and Kanon's relationship! They cut out much of the backstory about the characters that makes you like them, deleted important red texts, and made what should be very heart-breaking scenes BORING. 5/10

Overall: It was good. It was fun to watch (most of the time...) and it made you think. It really did give off the witch feel, but some things were either over done, understated, or left out completely. They really need to step it up if they do a next season. Just... could they get rid of Chiaki Kon and get a director that won't mess it up? 8/10
Chishio no Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 15:16   Link #33
Endrance
~Rock ☆~
*Graphic Designer

I actually liked the anime..sure it had a few missing parts and such things from the vn but overall i enjoyed watching it
Old 2010-01-05, 15:35   Link #34
bereal31

Very Not Happy Person

Hi, Umineko, TERRIBLE. 0/10

-2000 for making a character pop out of nowhere in the middle of a series with no explantation whatsoever and spending how many episodes on it. Annoying and pissing the hell out of anime viewers. Why should we care about HER?! Many, or should I say all anime viewers think that this is the way the STORY is, like the vn was this way. Like as though the vn dudes were on drugs or something. I am so annoyed and tired of people saying how this STORY could be so good if only they didn't do this, blah, blah, For the LAST FREAKING TIME, this is something done by the ANIME by that dude that they summoned from hell to direct and subsequently not only kill the anime but the original source as well by making people think that the anime is as the bad the source.

-1000 for Maria's retarded faces.

-1000 for all the other crap. Like leaving stuff out and changing stuff for no reason and making stupid mistakes.

-5000 for the characters. 10 or whatever it was dead in the first episode before I could even learn there names. Then none of the characters do anything to help me remember their names or who they are. So even know I have no idea who got killed and when. Or even who is who. Or who has what problem. This is why I skipped through all the mystery parts, they die as quick as pigs in a slaughterhouse and I don't even know their names or anything about them and they could have died in the wrong place or wrong way because of some stupid anime mistake, so why should I care? In the end, the only names I know is the witches names, and battler. I only know the witches because they dress and look so hawt. I only know Battler's name because who the hell names their kid battler??!! Might as well name him stupid since he is going to be beat up and get in fights anyways. Oh and Maria's, cause her face is retarded. Otherwise I don't know any other characters. Needless to say, the only thing that held my attention is witch's drama drama.

Final Score: -9000!!!

Final Comments: Don't watch the anime, just read the threads on animesuki. Interesting, funny, and drama at times. There is heated discussions, spoilers, fights, everything you need to enjoy Umineko. Plus there is no mistakes. =)

Don't be like me, I spend like how many hours watching the anime, now I have to spend hours reading threads on animesuki and begging vn readers for help and explanation just so I can understand it.
Old 2010-01-05, 15:43   Link #35
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

If you want to understand everything about umineko I reccomend the VN instead, the first episode is free so you can test if you like it first.
sona-nyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 22:32   Link #36
Fishcaek-Chan
Victory is taken!

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishcaek-Chan
Are you kidding? This series was AWESOME!! Sure I'd heard of the game before, but I'd never really got the chance to ever look into it, but when the series came out, I found myself, researching, playing, reading it all over! I swear, If a series can make me so hiped up, it's nothing short of awesome sauce.

It's true I didn't play the game, so I'm being a little bit biased here, but to me, a viewer of the ANIME and NOT the Visual Novel, I thought it was brilliant. The art was beautiful, the characters were connectable, and best of all...Satoshi=Kanon<3 EPIC WIN!!xD Go Kobayashi-chan, Go!~*roots*~
So, all-in-all I'd totally reccomened it, though I'd reccomend watching the anime, and THEN reading the V/A, this way you won't get as angry as half of the very loyal fans on here~

Last edited by Fishcaek-Chan; 2010-01-05 at 22:45.
Fishcaek-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 05:44   Link #37
Dlanor A. Knox
Crazy but OK xP

It was ok. but last ep. was messed up, esp. the Red vs. Blue was kinda =.=
and it's a shame that they let funny/important things out, so why do they have all those eps fit in just 26 episodes? if they took more time(thus more episodes) it would have been much better.

well anyway, they had a awesome opening&ending
Dlanor A. Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 05:49   Link #38
Iromaru

I must say DEEN really impressed me with Umineko. No other studio could take a great source material and turn it into a pure garbage as well as DEEN.

I'll give it 7/10 because of ep.5, if only the whole series looked like that...
Iromaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 13:26   Link #39
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcaek-Chan View Post
So, all-in-all I'd totally reccomened it, though I'd reccomend watching the anime, and THEN reading the V/A, this way you won't get as angry as half of the very loyal fans on here~

I actually do NOT reccomend doind this, all the surprises of the Visual Novel are destroyed, I'm actually really happy that I played the VN before the anime came out.
sona-nyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 15:44   Link #40
Chii Kei
Nyeh~

* General impression of the series
Basically, I felt it was more of a fanservice comedy than a mystery and when it did try at the serious moments, it didn't flow and felt strained.
* Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
Terrible. Everything felt horribly rushed and since they omitted so many crucial plot points, I think it would be difficult - if not impossible - for non-VN readers to fully understand or solve the true mystery.
* Thoughts about the animation quality.
Again, strained. I'll admit there were a few good scenes where the animation quality was smooth, but there were numerous continuity errors - especially in character consistency. Beato at the start looks extremely different at the end. In EP1 she was drawn with a Griaffe neck and slanty Takano-esque eyes. By the end, her anatomy had improved, but she had turned completely moe. (I understand this is part of the story, but a smoother transition would have made it all more believeable.)
* Will there be additional DVD only episodes and what will they contain.
I doubt it. Hell nows if they'll even be a second series, I've heard the sales were that bad.
* How did the anime compare with the game?
Game >>> Anime. I'm sorry, but it was a poor, rushed adaptation of a brilliant series.
* Characters/Character Design
I talked about this before with Beato, but it applies to some of the other characters too. Though I liked how Battler and Ronoe were portrayed.
* What the show meant to you.
Really, it was more to see how much it would differ from the game, and it gave me something to do. But if there IS a second season and the quality is like this, I won't be watching it.
* What could the creators/animators/writers could have done better.
Almost everything. I would have loved to see the BGM music featured more prominently. I was so let down when classic tracks like HOM weren't played in their key scenes.

Animation Quality: 6-10
Voice Actors: 9-10. I was really impressed with the Seiyuu.
Script: 3-10
Adaptation from Game: 4-10
Editing: 4-10.
Chii Kei is offline   Reply With Quote