Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-11, 05:29   Link #101
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
For whatever reason Koko reminds me of a hillarious female version of Gai from Guilty Crown. And that smile is making me lol with how casually they off people. It seemed to go kinda fast and I'm not the biggest fan of the character designs, but a decent opener showing off and introducing the leads well.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 05:40   Link #102
jwai

I was a bit miffed when I saw the first episode expecting something over the top like Black Lagoon, but I suppose that's an unfair comparison given the contexts of Jormungand and Black Lagoon are completely different.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 05:52   Link #103
Ridwan

Mmmhmm, as I thought, the first episode came up with less impression then what I would ideally hope from it. Steins;Gate's first episode's animation quality was actually better then this one. Even the OP and ED didn't really hook me, even though I've placed more hope for them (I'll blame Black Lagoon for this one). Jonah and Koko more then redeemed all that for me though The background musics were also decent. We'll see how the anime will roll on ahead.
Old 2012-04-11, 06:40   Link #104
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

That was great. Best show of the season.

Be better if they don't try to humanize Jonah over the course of the series, but that's probably too much to ask.

Edit: As a non-manga reader, I am trying to decide if the first few minutes are something I should keep in mind or not, as it didn't seem to have anything to do with this episode, but maybe it is one of those things that will have an impact later? And, no, don't ruin it for me. Just talking to myself.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 10:02   Link #105
zarqu
Stüldt Hĺjt!

Well, wasn't that enoyable. I have been waiting for some action that doesn't involve magic or highschool students. I have read the first two volumes of the manga, and it's a good action fix for any Black Lagoon fan.

It's weird hearing Koko yell my name Joona (a Finnish name, it's from the Bible) translates to Jonah. Can't say I mind, though Shizuka Itou voicing Koko was an interesting choice. I guess her cute voice (sometimes too cute for my liking) goes with Koko's happy/crazy and nigh childish behaviour.

Valmet's name is interesting, too. Valmet was a Finnish state-owned conglomerate, known for manufacturing, among other things, the Rk 62, standard issue assault rifle of Finnish Defence Forces. Only thing I found about Hekmatyar was this Afghan warlord.
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 10:23   Link #106
Waffeln Ladro

The seiyuu who voiced Jonah is the same as Sonya in Kill Me Baby! LOL, this time she really is an assassin!
Waffeln Ladro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 10:23   Link #107
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Excellent premier, just as I expected. This really feels like Black Lagoon to me, with its mix of grim dark but also lighthearted, action but with black comedy, and with a ton of style. Hell yeh... all of this series, Fate Zero S2 and Space Brothers which I all had high expectations for didn't disappoint. Now, Sakamichi no Appollon show me your Watanabe x Yoko Kanno goodness and we'll call it an awesome season on the same tier as Spring 2011 (in terms of openers).

9/10 for this opener episode.

EDIT: I just remembered but it looks like they could be potential yuri for Koko and that eyepatch chick if anyone is interested in that

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-04-11 at 10:39.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 10:39   Link #108
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

I'm enjoying the first eps.. but good god, visually its very ugly..

Ugly ass CGi on everywhere n the animation is very jerky and looked weird in many place, not too mention the amount of QUALITY. Damn shame because the explosion looks good.

I hope its not gonna stay like this because I'm planning to follow this till the end :/ but so far u disappoint me White fox, at the very least the premiere must in top quality folks!
Old 2012-04-11, 10:43   Link #109
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
I'm enjoying the first eps.. but good god, visually its very ugly..

Ugly ass CGi on everywhere n the animation is very jerky and looked weird in many place, not too mention the amount of QUALITY. Damn shame because the explosion looks good.

I hope its not gonna stay like this because I'm planning to follow this till the end :/ but so far u disappoint me White fox, at the very least the premiere must in top quality folks!
Yeh, that's the one thing I don't like regarding White Fox, they are very mediocre with their visuals. As fantastic Steins Gate was, it did look rather... average. And Katanagatari was horrendous looking. But who cares that much. I prefer a show with a great plot, characters, atmosphere over those pretty-looking slice of life fluff with no substance any day. Though in this case, I have a feeling this will be an episodic style series so not sure how much plot will be of importance. Will not name any studios regarding pretty-looking fluff .
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 10:49   Link #110
Dextro
He Without a Title

Just saw the first episode and I'll reserve my judgement for now, it's simply too early to give a thumbs up or down to this.

I will however say that I thoroughly enjoyed what we had so far: it's just dark enough with a bit of an over-the-top character like Koko to keep me watching and I feel that the first episode was nowhere near enough to really make us anime-only viewers aware of what's going to go down from here on out. On the other I have to say that the character design for Koko does not seem to go with the VA at all! Every time she started talking the illusion broke for a few seconds due to how jarring the contrast was. I'm guessing we were meant to get some Joker vibes and got the stereotypical over-the-top anime girl vibes instead killing the illusion for a bit. I'm sure I'll get over it but it detracts a bit from the show and it's also my main qualm with it.

I did notice some QUALITY faces along the way and there's a bit where they freeze-frame on Jonahs' face for a bit too long that seems like something was off with the scene (like missing frames due to time or budget constrains) but aside from that I'm digging the show.

Btw is it just me or the colour palettes that White Fox chooses are always pretty distinct in a very much subdued way? I find that Jormungand's colours have a very old school feel to them that remind me of the old shows that were still made before digital colouring was the norm and as such were never able to have the vibrant colours we've come to associate with modern ones. I may be wrong with this but it was just a thought that came to me in the middle of the first episode.
Old 2012-04-11, 10:55   Link #111
Akarin

Her name is Koko
She is Loco
I said ''Oh no''

Episode 1 was surprisingly good. The animation quality is very good, just like Steins;Gate (same studio). And Itou Shizuka as Koko.. she's just, well... Awesome. I love all of Itou Shizuka roles equally.

Her name is Morishima Haruka
She is Loco
I said ''Oh no''

. . .
Akarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 11:02   Link #112
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
Yeh, that's the one thing I don't like regarding White Fox, they are very mediocre with their visuals. As fantastic Steins Gate was, it did look rather... average. And Katanagatari was horrendous looking. But who cares that much. I prefer a show with a great plot, characters, atmosphere over those pretty-looking slice of life fluff with no substance any day. Though in this case, I have a feeling this will be an episodic style series so not sure how much plot will be of importance. Will not name any studios regarding pretty-looking fluff .
Yeah.. but you just can't help to compare it to Black Lagoon which excel in every part of production value compared to this. Its even have properly animated car and ship! not those puke inducing CGi :/

I'm digging the other part though, just hoping the visual not make my eyes bleeding.
Old 2012-04-11, 11:03   Link #113
HighGuard

What a Great first episode, easily the number 1 new show of the season. Reminds me of Black lagoon a bit.
HighGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 11:08   Link #114
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
On the other I have to say that the character design for Koko does not seem to go with the VA at all! Every time she started talking the illusion broke for a few seconds due to how jarring the contrast was. I'm guessing we were meant to get some Joker vibes and got the stereotypical over-the-top anime girl vibes instead killing the illusion for a bit. I'm sure I'll get over it but it detracts a bit from the show and it's also my main qualm with it.
Really? I haven't read the manga but I thought her voice was very fitting. I really liked it.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 11:08   Link #115
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Not bothered much by the visuals, steins;gate was not particularly spectacular either, which may explain why some people found it hard to get into when they were used to more "colorful" anime.

However, what gets me into Jormungand is what seems to be "commercial" war between arms dealers. While it may appear as a Black Lagoon-like at first, it leans closer to Lord of War to me.
Old 2012-04-11, 11:10   Link #116
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Really? I haven't read the manga but I thought her voice was very fitting. I really liked it.
I haven't read the manga either and maybe further on in the story the voice will grow to fit more the role in my eyes but for now it felt off to me. Just personal opinion with the single episode as my basis, nothing more.
Old 2012-04-11, 11:14   Link #117
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Yeh, that's the one thing I don't like regarding White Fox, they are very mediocre with their visuals. As fantastic Steins Gate was, it did look rather... average. And Katanagatari was horrendous looking.
I personally thought that Katanagatari was beautiful (both style and animation-wise), but that's just me, I guess.

I like White Fox's work, everything I've seen of theirs has been fairly decent to my eyes. I also like that Takahashi's art style wasn't too heavily deviated from. There's nothing I hate more than a studio practically tossing out an artist's hard work, and White Fox doesn't usually do that (to some extent or another).

Quote:
I prefer a show with a great plot, characters, atmosphere over those pretty-looking slice of life fluff with no substance any day.
I very much agree with this.

Quote:
I could imagine Koko with a voice that's a little deeper in pitch and throatier, but I find her current voice very fitting as it is. She's serious but playful, and I like that her voice leans more towards her playful side. It brightens things up.
Old 2012-04-11, 11:21   Link #118
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Well it was definitely entertaining but I'm not sure if this is going to be what I thought it was going to be. I was expecting something like Lord of War but this seems more "anime-fied" than I was hoping it would be.

Just a question for manga readers: How political is Jormungand?
By anime standards? Very. As a central theme? Not so much, because the series is more about the timeless travails of the human condition than any transient political commentary.

I love Koko, and I thought Shizuka Itou was great - perfect fit. Of course I love her, too. But as a manga reader I think it should be said, you can enjoy the series a lot focusing on Koko, because she's a fabulously entertaining and fun character. But Jormungand is Jonah's story IMHO - if you want to appreciate the story on the level the author intended, he's the key character.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 12:13   Link #119
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Good first episode. I liked the moral complexity of Jonah hanging out with the people he supposedly hates; of Koko knowing that he will always have a weapon, which he also supposedly hates; and of the government guy knowing he had to keep advanced weapons out of the hands of his own military, since their having them would lead to war. These characters are certainly versions of character cliches, but since they're versions that work, I'm happy.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissičre (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 15:10   Link #120
ookamigirl

This one kinda reminds me of Black Lagoon.
Jonah... he kinda reminds me of Revy ^^
Think he's gonna be my fav character.
Kako sure can be pretty funny, especially when sleepwalking LOL
I like this one, will be watching it.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, gunfights, seinen