AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-01-25, 18:51   Link #21
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I'm so interest in how they incorporate mecha and battleships.

* Imagine Transformers and Star Wars
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 18:59   Link #22
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
No, in Macross he's Japanese. In Robotech his race is not clear, but his name sounds European or American (which doesnt define what race he is).
Yeah. IIRC Hikaru's name in Robotech is Rick Hunter. That sounds like American to me.
Old 2013-01-25, 19:28   Link #23
sweet-d

So he could really be any race or ethnicity in a live action movie. Philipp Rosler is a good example os this. It doesn't really matter if this movie does get made it will probably suck.
sweet-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 21:05   Link #24
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
No, in Macross he's Japanese. In Robotech his race is not clear, but his name sounds European or American (which doesnt define what race he is).

And as we all know, Harmony Gold doesnt give two flying hoots about the real Macross. Theyve taken so many steps to make sure the real Macross cant come to America, not even the new ones like Frontier.
i really can't figure out how HG manage to keep the rights to Macross for so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Yeah. IIRC Hikaru's name in Robotech is Rick Hunter. That sounds like American to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-d View Post
So he could really be any race or ethnicity in a live action movie. Philipp Rosler is a good example os this. It doesn't really matter if this movie does get made it will probably suck.
Rick is American

the Robotech novels expended on the cast's background which confirms it.
Old 2013-01-25, 23:05   Link #25
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
& how about the merchandise? i bet it will be Bandai's worst headache ever......
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 23:28   Link #26
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Normally I'm not one to immediately dump on proposed live-action adaptations, but this one has me shaking my head. Akiva Goldsman? Really? I can see the tagline already: "From the Executive Producer who brought you Paranormal Activity 2, 3, and 4 . . . " Looking at his sheet, he has been attached to just about every piss-poor adaptation of a supernatural/fantasy project in the past decade or so.

Fortunately, it's highly unlikely that this will ever get off the ground. Most likely it will flounder somewhere in development hell when they realize quite how many hundreds of millions it would take to decently produce.
Old 2013-01-25, 23:56   Link #27
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
the last original western movie makers adaptation of the Macross, Southern Cross, & Mospeada of the Robotech francise is that forgetable animated Shadow Chronicles movie & HECK it was god awful man!!! makes me scared of eating pineapple pie because of it,

i hope they never repeat the DAMN same mistake again.....
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 02:01   Link #28
Dragonkid11
A random-man

DAMN

Freaking Robotech got a movie while Battletech still getting screwed by Gold Harmony

WHY DID THE VILLAIN WIN WHY!!!!!!!!!*Skyward scream*
Dragonkid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 02:10   Link #29
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I actually think Macross could make for a decent Hollywood movie, but I don't think this is it.

I'd say this'll end out in development hell, or bomb at the box office and be forgotten.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 07:22   Link #30
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i really can't figure out how HG manage to keep the rights to Macross for so long.
It's complicated.

The way I understand it: the original show SDF Macross has split ownership. The design team (Studio Nue) and an advertising agency Big West (funding)own the authorship rights and the merchandising rights in Japan. The production studio Tatsunoko owns the actual footage and the international merchandising rights.

Tasunoko licensed SDF Macross to HG together with their own properties Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada. Carl Macek had those dubbed and edited to form Robotech. This license is renewed every 10 years and includes the international merchandising rights outside of Japan.

Those merchandising rights lie at the heart of the legal battle between Big West and Tatsunoko.
HG had word Macross trademarked so they own the brand name in most major anime markets outside Japan. Which blocks any manga, toys, DVDs based on Macross or it's sequels from getting licensed in the US or Europe.

Only Nue/Big West can make sequels as they own the authorship rights. Tasunoko and HG can only distribute the original show and sell toys based on it.

For Robotech Sentinels and Shadow Chronicles HG/Tatsunoko worked around this by using the American names and the mecha from Genesis Climber Mospeada and Southern Cross. Expect the same treatment for the movie if there is any semblance to anime to begin with.

Last edited by Bri; 2013-01-26 at 08:03.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 07:35   Link #31
Dragonkid11
A random-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
It's complicated.

The way I understand it: the original show SDF Macross has split ownership. The design team (Studio Nue) and an advertising agency Big West (funding)own the authorship rights and the merchandising rights in Japan. The production studio Tatsunoko owns the actual footage and the international merchandising rights.

Tasunoko licensed SDF Macross to HG together with their own properties Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada. Carl Macek had those dubbed and edited to form Robotech. This license is renewed every 10 years and includes the international merchandising rights outside of Japan.

Those merchandising rights lie at the heart of the legal battle between Big West and Tatsunoko as they block overseas sale of toys and DVDs or Macross sequels.
HG in turn had word Macross trademarked so they own the brand name in most major anime markets outside Japan. Which blocks any manga, toys, DVDs based on Macross or it's sequels from getting licensed in the US or Europe.

Only Nue/Big West can make sequels as they own the authorship rights. Tasunoko and HG can only distribute the original show and sell toys based on it.

For Robotech Sentinels and Shadow Chronicles HG/Tatsunoko worked around this by using the American names and the mecha from Genesis Climber Mospeada and Southern Cross. Expect the same treatment for the movie if there is any semblance to anime to begin with.

I didn't know their evilness was this sophisticated...
Dragonkid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 07:35   Link #32
Kudryavka

Quote:
It's complicated.

Those merchandising rights lie at the heart of the legal battle between Big West and Tatsunoko as they block overseas sale of toys and DVDs or Macross sequels.
HG in turn had word Macross trademarked so they own the brand name in most major anime markets outside Japan. Which blocks any manga, toys, DVDs based on Macross or it's sequels from getting licensed in the US or Europe.

Exactly.

And if Big West (who I believe in Japan is now undisputedly the owner to all things Macross except the actual footage from Tatsunokos stuff) ever changes their mind about selling Macross stuff in USA, theyll have to bring Harmony Gold down first. Which shouldnt be a problem at all since here we have "first made" copyright law, so if Big West proves they made up Macross name before Harmony Gold, they will automatically take the Macross copyright from HG.

imho cant wait to see that happen, HG has crossed the line too far by claiming ownership to future Macross installments and purposely preventing those from coming to USA.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 08:00   Link #33
Bri

Quote:
Exactly.

And if Big West (who I believe in Japan is now undisputedly the owner to all things Macross except the actual footage from Tatsunokos stuff) ever changes their mind about selling Macross stuff in USA, theyll have to bring Harmony Gold down first. Which shouldnt be a problem at all since here we have "first made" copyright law, so if Big West proves they made up Macross name before Harmony Gold, they will automatically take the Macross copyright from HG.
Unfortunately in the early 2000s, Big West assisted by Bandai's lawyers were denied the trade mark in the US in favor of HG/Tatsunoko. Legally it's not that easy it seems.
Old 2013-01-26, 08:05   Link #34
Kudryavka

Quote:
Unfortunately in the early 2000s, Big West assisted by Bandai's lawyers were denied the trade mark in the US in favor of HG/Tatsunoko. Legally it's not that easy it seems.
How did HG prove that they owned Macross before Big West???
Old 2013-01-26, 08:20   Link #35
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
2015. http://blog.sci-fi-stuff.com/full-me...lion-optioned/

At least thats going to have the consent of the original makers.
How the hell would a full metal panic movie work as a live action American release?

Half the appeal of Full Metal Panic is Sagara acting like a violent paranoid gun totting murder hobo in a Japanese high school. Which would be effectively impossible to make into a movie in America, because everyone is so uptight about school shootings.

Oh well. For all we know they'll have Sagara be played by Tom Cruise protecting the female heroine in an office building, and drop the high school setting entirely.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 08:53   Link #36
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
How the hell would a full metal panic movie work as a live action American release?

Half the appeal of Full Metal Panic is Sagara acting like a violent paranoid gun totting murder hobo in a Japanese high school. Which would be effectively impossible to make into a movie in America, because everyone is so uptight about school shootings.

Oh well. For all we know they'll have Sagara be played by Tom Cruise protecting the female heroine in an office building, and drop the high school setting entirely.
Hollywood knows how to make it work. And in the process ruin it
Old 2013-01-26, 08:58   Link #37
Bri

Quote:
How did HG prove that they owned Macross before Big West???
I'm not sure but it involves first usage.
Old 2013-01-26, 09:39   Link #38
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Hollywood knows how to make it work. And in the process ruin it
When has Hollywood EVER made a live action adaption of any cartoon besides Transformers and made it work? And I don't think they've ever successfully adapted something that was anime/animesque. The Speed Racer and Last Airbender movies completely bombed.

I know modern Hollywood is deathly afraid of taking the risk with original material...but I really can't comprehend why they think making live action adaptions to obscure Japanese media is somehow any safer. At least in America, allot of this stuff is still pretty niche relatively speaking, so it's not like you get big publicity points for adapting it. Especially when you need to modify the original so heavily to appeal to a mainstream audience.

Now the amusing thing? The Macross saga IS probably something that could be translated into a Hollywood live action movie reasonably well, especially since it's cast already had a heavy international flavor, and a precedent for that style of adaption. The only problem? Macross/Robotech is stuck in the midst of the most preposterous IP copyright shenanigans thanks to Harmony Gold.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 10:15   Link #39
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
When has Hollywood EVER made a live action adaption of any cartoon besides Transformers and made it work? And I don't think they've ever successfully adapted something that was anime/animesque. The Speed Racer and Last Airbender movies completely bombed.
I meant make it work as in make some sort of resemblance of a movie... Note how I said "and ruin it in the process" right after.
Quote:
I'm not sure but it involves first usage.
Hm, perhaps b/c HG and Tatsunoko used it in USA first...

w/e, screw Harmony Gold for all this crap.
Old 2013-01-26, 13:05   Link #40
GundamFan0083

What is wrong with Hollywood?
Has it become so destitute for ideas that it has to dredge up the sludge of the 80s?

Not to be overly cynical about this, but Robotech isn't anywhere near as good as Macross, Mosepeada, or Southern Cross Calvary.
Hell, I think the live action versions of Gai King and Grandizer will be better than this Robotech project.

Gai King:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUsEOZ4xWhQ

Grandizer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Meo3Gg1QR0