AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-04-10, 10:32   Link #1
marvelB

Nayuta no Kiseki [PSP]

Official Site

Well, now that more info has started to leak out, I figured it was about time I made a thread for this game. I can pretty much always rely on Falcom for quality RPG titles, and this new Trails game most certainly sounds like it won't disappoint. Interestingly, this won't be a "traditional"-style RPG like the previous Trails titles, but an action RPG like the Ys series. You can view the translated details about the gameplay here and here.

So far I've gotta say that I'm most intrigued by this season change system (kinda makes me think of the Click Clock Wood level from Banjo-Kazooie). However, I especially can't wait to hear more about the music (which is something Falcom always excels at ). BTW, despite it having the Trails/Kiseki title, this game isn't actually related (at least, not directly) to Trails of the Sky/Zero. Rather, it's its own separate game (it's not even a part of the Legend of Heroes line!). Hopefully, this means that there's a chance that the good folks at Xseed will be able to bring this game overseas (even it's through DLC only). Either way, this will most definitely tide me over while waiting for the localized TotS SC and the Vita remake of Ys IV.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 12:56   Link #2
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I hope xseed re-releases Sora no Kiseki FC to Steam like they did with Ys: The Oath in Felghana. Playing on a 24" screen > playing on a 4.3" screen.

Additionally, I hope that Sora no Kiseki SC gets releases on both Steam and the PSP (UMD and PSN) that's also compatible with the Vita.

I already own FC for PSP UMD, but I'd buy it again from Steam in an instant, and I'd buy both versions of SC just to support xseed.
Old 2012-04-10, 14:13   Link #3
xizro345
King's Justice

I'd like XSEED to avoid Steam and its DRM like the plague, but since now they're sticking to mostly DD releases, I'm going with the Japanese version on this one.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 15:35   Link #4
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
I'd like XSEED to avoid Steam and its DRM like the plague, but since now they're sticking to mostly DD releases, I'm going with the Japanese version on this one.
How is Steam's DRM worse than Sony's DRM on the PSVita? I'm not asking for stuff to only be released on Steam, but to have the option to play Trails or Ys on a big screen would be nice.

The PSP makes my eyes burn after a while.
Old 2012-04-13, 09:27   Link #5
marvelB

First screens are here!

Wow.... this game looks great. The visuals look WAY better than Ys Seven's. In fact, I'm almost tempted to say that it almost looks as good as Zwei 2's (which is easily Falcom's best-looking 3D game by far). Actually, speaking of Zwei, the whole thing with controlling 2 characters simultaneously reminds me of those games. Too bad the male MC doesn't have a drill as a weapon instead of a sword.....
Old 2012-04-20, 13:16   Link #6
marvelB

And now we have our first gameplay video, featuring some boss battles:

Spoiler:

Looking sweet so far! And as I figured, I am getting stronger Zwei vibes from this than Ys.

UPDATE: And here's some more screenshots, some of which are taken from the boss battles from the above video. Man, late July can't get here fast enough....

Last edited by marvelB; 2012-05-27 at 11:47.
Old 2012-04-27, 10:16   Link #7
marvelB

Next trailer is out:

Spoiler:

Seriously, Falcom should've just titled this Zwei 3 already.

Last edited by marvelB; 2012-05-27 at 11:47.
Old 2012-05-11, 14:17   Link #8
marvelB

Next Nayuta trailer is out. This one is longer than the last few ones, too. I'm already hotly anticipating this game, so I don't really have much more to say other than the fact that I really like how more platforming elements are being shown. Could use some more music samples though....
Old 2012-05-27, 11:51   Link #9
marvelB

It's a couple days late, but what the heck: THE LATEST TRAILER!

Spoiler:

Good mix of story AND action going on in this trailer! The sweet music isn't a bad addition, either. I still think there's a good chance that Xseed could get their hands on this title since they have a good relationship with Falcom....
Old 2012-06-15, 11:28   Link #10
marvelB

Of course, I didn't forget about this thread! This time we have what's pretty much the longest preview of the game so far (and probably the last one too, since the release is so close). So without further ado:

Spoiler:

I'm definitely loving what I see here. Hopefully, Falcom will incorporate some of the Nayuta mechanics into their future Ys titles.
Old 2012-08-07, 10:45   Link #11
marvelB

Time to bump!

So I imported this game and just started it yesterday. And I've definitely gotta say that I'm having a blast so far! Now that I'm actually playing it, I've gotta say that it feels more than anything like a spiritual successor to Gurumin, rather than Ys. I mean, the main character doesn't have a drill weapon (though for all I know there MAY be one..... I'm still pretty early in the game after all), but it's similar in the sense that you don't really tackle the adventure from one big field to the next like you do in Ys. Rather, the action segments take place in their own separate "stages". Also, you apparently just have one town that acts as your hub (which, again, is like Gurumin).

Combat-wise, again I can't give a full impression due to me still being at the early point of the game, but so far it feels slightly slower than Ys Seven. Not that it's a bad thing, though. Something I find cool is that Nayuta can equip different weapons aside from swords (though so far the only other weapon I used was an axe). You also have Noi (the tiny fairy girl), who's basically the mage (she can use many kinds of offensive magic, though so far I only have two spells for her). And speaking of Noi.... I just find her so cute (I especially like how she's floating with little gears attached to her hair)!

But so far, I have to say that I'm most impressed by the platforming. Currently I've just gotten past the first boss dungeon, and my goodness, was it a blast! Even the dungeon's boss battle forces you to rely on your jumping skills! It really makes me wish that Falcom made more platformer-type games (but sadly, it looks like even the upcoming Ys Celceta will be entirely ground based like Seven was.... which is kind of a shame, IMO).

As far as visuals go, it definitely looks nice, that's a given. Very bright and colorful, and the character models are more detailed than in Ys Seven. And as for music (which is usually one of the main attractions of a Falcom title), well..... truthfully, I'd rather not give a full impression until I've gotten farther in the game. I can definitely say I'm liking what I hear so far, though (the first boss dungeon I mentioned before has my favorite BGM so far). Sadly, I can't really say anything about the plot now since my knowledge of Japanese is miniscule at best (as far as I know, it's basically about Nayuta and co. traveling to some alternate world and stopping the bad guys from doing bad stuff. But what the heck do I know? ).

All in all, I'm definitely love what I played of it. And I say that it's more than deserving of an overseas release (you reading this, Xseed?).
Old 2012-08-13, 18:16   Link #12
singjies

A small gripe I have with this is that the isn't any button configuration, I don't like the default controls and you could always change buttons in most of the other Falcom games I've played. Other than that I'm having a blast despite the fact that I have no idea what anybody is saying. Here's to hoping XSeed brings this over so I can play it properly (doubtful though )
Old 2012-08-14, 02:02   Link #13
KBTKaiser

Currently on a NG+ here.

The weapon types are actually 1-handed and 2-handed. 1-handed you can quickly chain together multiple hits. 2-handed is slower and more powerful. Heck, the final 2-handed is a friggin' chainsword. XD
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 10:33   Link #14
marvelB

Heh, I've been taking my time with this game. So far I just started chapter 4 (that crab boss from the third chapter was awesome, BTW).

Something else cool I discovered is that Nayuta can learn new techniques from his master (I think it depends on how high your level is, but I'm not really sure about this). So far I've got the ground pound, the mid-air spin attack, the aerial dodge and the guard/parry moves. And I've also gotta say that I actually prefer the 2-handed weapons over the single-handed ones (I always did like the heavier weapons). The new powers I got for Noi are great, too. So far my favorites are the tornado and ice wave attacks. I swear, Falcom could seriously teach those bigger companies a thing or two on how to make an action game.....
Old 2012-08-14, 18:41   Link #15
KBTKaiser

The Training sessions are dependant on getting stage completion stars, 3 per stage. 1 for the stage, 1 for smashing big crystals and finding the treasure chests, and one for satisfying the minimission for the stage.

I suggest grinding as much as you can and getting what achievements you can.

For Reference, there are 10 achievements you cannot get until you run a new game +

In no particular order.
1) Clear all island quests
2) All Weapons/Armor
3) All Magic
4) All Museum Items
5) All Sword Trainings
6) All Foods
7) Game Clear on Infinity Difficulty
8) All Seasonal Stages Cleared
9) All Star Shards collected
10) All enemy types defeated
Old 2012-08-15, 15:37   Link #16
marvelB

^Okay, thanks for the tip. Coincidentally, I've pretty much been concentrating on finding the crystals+items since I like to explore the stages. However, I notice that some of those stage missions involve speedrunning through the stages.... which is a major weakness for a slow-and-steady player like me. Oh well, I'll manage somehow.....

Anyways, I'm at the boss of the lava dungeon now, though I lost against him a couple times due to me being a bit under-leveled. But I suppose that's what I get for treating this like Zwei and grinding mainly through eating food rather than killing the enemies over and over!
Old 2012-08-15, 20:35   Link #17
KBTKaiser

Food grind is easier if you have full access to the higher tier stuff. Also, if you have some of those feather items that either have stone, cocoon, or soil in the name, drop them off at the blacksmith girl, item shop girl, or farmer to expand your buying list.
Old 2012-08-17, 09:42   Link #18
marvelB

So I've been marathoning this game over the last couple days and now I'm at the final boss. I almost beat him my first time fighting him but I got a little careless at the very last second and lost, heh. BTW, something I found very amusing about the final battle:

Spoiler:

Anyways, the whole game's been a blast so far. If there's any small gripe I have about it is that I really wish that some more boss fights made more use Noi's abilities that WEREN'T the grapple power. I'd have especially loved it if there were more bosses that forced you to use the wheel power in creative ways (and while there is one battle where you're in wheel mode for the entire duration, I just found it way too easy...). But maybe I'm just biased since the wheel power's my favorite ability in the game by far.
Old 2012-08-24, 09:46   Link #19
marvelB

.....Well, I THOUGHT what I beat was the last boss.

I beat the After Story a few days ago. True last battle was awesome. Now I'm doing New Game+. Heh, I went straight for the Infinity difficulty without thinking about it twice (and this is despite having only beat the regular game on Normal). Man, do those enemies kick your ass in this mode. I'm still enjoying it a lot, though. So far I'm taking it slow again (right now I'm just doing the new side-quests for the first world), but rest assured, I WILL see this thing through to 100% completion....
Old 2012-08-24, 21:14   Link #20
KBTKaiser

Actually, the Boss fight on the second set of bosses required wheel use, if you recall. Ride up the pillars to damage the core on the back of the floating boss and such.

Last edited by KBTKaiser; 2012-08-24 at 21:38.