AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-11-06, 03:22   Link #41
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravis View Post
I'm not so sure its even that good. There's a reason why gamers don't use trackpads. Watch the Counterstrike section of that video and notice how much time he requires to take a shot on a non-moving non-hostile target. There's a serious disadvantage with having to continuously lift your thumb to reposition, something that he has to do constantly, something that you don't have to do with a controller stick.
In the end the controller is 1-size-fits-all.
Valve even admits that you can play DotA2 with it; you just won't win.
Old 2013-12-18, 02:43   Link #42
T-6000

Since last week, Valve released the SteamOS in beta form. I was a bit surprised by this move as I didn't expect a late 2013 release and Valve releasing a Beta version of the OS. I'm holding off on downloading the OS until it comes out of Beta (which could take a very long time) and on top of that, I'll need a bigger Primary Hard Drive.
Now before anyone else tries out the OS be sure to give the FAQ a read.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ste...4395741989999/

Also, for the moment the Beta OS only supports NVidia cards. And it's recommended that you are familiar with Linux (especially installation)before giving this OS a try.

Once you believe you are ready to give the SteamOS beta a try, the download link is here:

http://repo.steampowered.com/download/

And for anyone who gave the Steam OS a try, what are your thoughts on the Beta so far?
Old 2014-03-15, 11:46   Link #43
saravis

Looks like Valve has revealed controller 2.0.

http://www.screwattack.com/news/valve-shows-new-improvements-have-been-made-steam-controller

My observations, its basically become a 360 controller with the right side stick and buttons swapped. I can't say if that's a good thing or not, all its really got going for it now are the special trackpads. Also, I question the position of the buttons. Depending on the size of the controller, smaller hands might have trouble accidentally pressing the 'A' or 'B' when they mean to press the 'X' or 'Y'. Also, the closeness of the buttons to the trackpad could mean accidentally touching the pad when attempting to press 'Y' or 'B' for larger thumbs.

All in all, still not impressed, at the most it's maybe an improvement over a 360 controller. However, Valve would have to sell the controller by itself and at a competitive price point for that to be relevant. PC gamers that want a controller are just going to buy a controller for their PC. It may interest console gamers, but that depends on the quality of the box.
Old 2014-03-15, 16:08   Link #44
greensoulreaper
こんにちは

I feel like the whole concept surrounding SteamBox just seems to be more of a business endeavor rather than something innovative.
greensoulreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-15, 18:44   Link #45
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensoulreaper View Post
I feel like the whole concept surrounding SteamBox just seems to be more of a business endeavor rather than something innovative.
It was never about innovation; it was about Valve realising that currently, their business model had been too reliant on MS Windows, and that MS is currently backing off PC gaming and dedicating their time on the XB1.

The Steam Box is not meant to innovate, it is meant to be a way to spread the risk around, to not put all the eggs in one basket. MS could cut Steam off tomorrow, and Valve wouldn't be able to do anything. Steam Box is a way to ensure they can survive being back-stabbed by Microsoft.
Old 2014-03-16, 11:55   Link #46
saravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
It was never about innovation; it was about Valve realising that currently, their business model had been too reliant on MS Windows, and that MS is currently backing off PC gaming and dedicating their time on the XB1.

The Steam Box is not meant to innovate, it is meant to be a way to spread the risk around, to not put all the eggs in one basket. MS could cut Steam off tomorrow, and Valve wouldn't be able to do anything. Steam Box is a way to ensure they can survive being back-stabbed by Microsoft.
But how successful is that going to be? This thing looks more in line to compete with consoles, not be a backup PC gaming platform, but consoles already have their audiences. The only group of gamers I see this targeting are console gamers that are interested in dabbling into PC gaming, but are terrified (for whatever reason) of actual PC gaming.

As for Microsoft back-stabbing Valve, I just cannot see that happening. Windows, including products that are associated with Windows, is a bigger revenue source than the Xbox. While that's primarily because of the business side, so long as Microsoft sees success with Windows, they'll continue to release it on the home consumer side. Steam is a major component of the success of PC gaming and Microsoft doesn't have to do a damn thing. So long as Microsoft wants Windows to continue to be as successful as it can, they won't touch anyone contributing to that success. Microsoft has certainly done or attempted to do some stupid things, but this one just seems unfathomable.
Old 2014-03-16, 11:59   Link #47
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
But how successful is that going to be? This thing looks more in line to compete with consoles, not be a backup PC gaming platform, but consoles already have their audiences. The only group of gamers I see this targeting are console gamers that are interested in dabbling into PC gaming, but are terrified (for whatever reason) of actual PC gaming.

As for Microsoft back-stabbing Valve, I just cannot see that happening. Windows, including products that are associated with Windows, is a bigger revenue source than the Xbox. While that's primarily because of the business side, so long as Microsoft sees success with Windows, they'll continue to release it on the home consumer side. Steam is a major component of the success of PC gaming and Microsoft doesn't have to do a damn thing. So long as Microsoft wants Windows to continue to be as successful as it can, they won't touch anyone contributing to that success. Microsoft has certainly done or attempted to do some stupid things, but this one just seems unfathomable.
I think the strengh of SteamOS and the Steam Machines lies more in a Remote Play like scenario rather than a full blown console replacement.

I'm currently trying out the Steam Home Streaming beta and it's seriously making me consider a small Intel NUC to run SteamOS on. Streaming a game from the main PC to another in the same network works amazingly well and I could see myself sitting on the couch playing the games running on my gaming rig remotely. And if they would add support to the android app it would make it even more interesting.
Old 2014-03-16, 14:15   Link #48
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
So long as Microsoft wants Windows to continue to be as successful as it can, they won't touch anyone contributing to that success. Microsoft has certainly done or attempted to do some stupid things, but this one just seems unfathomable.
Except they already have. It shouldn't be a surprise that most enthusiast gamers are sticking with Windows 7 instead of upgrading.

Microsoft has been unifying Windows 8 and higher within their walled garden. Valve is rightfully concerned that Microsoft might start demanding things that could make Valve's life quite difficult. This is one of the reasons why they're pushing the GPU makers and developers so hard to start making gaming on Linux a reality.

Valve's profit depends on open, flexible operating systems. If Microsoft manages to pull an iOS and wall off Windows to the extent they really want to, Valve would like to have an escape route already planned.
Old 2014-03-16, 15:14   Link #49
greensoulreaper
こんにちは

Quote:

What do you mean by "cutting off" Steam? Does Microsoft have that much power over them? Wouldn't that screw a gigantic user base if the service was to stop?
Old 2014-03-16, 15:17   Link #50
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
What do you mean by "cutting off" Steam? Does Microsoft have that much power over them? Wouldn't that screw a gigantic user base if the service was to stop?
MS doesn't care about Steam, they don't get paid for it. They rather run Xbox games on PC and charge people to play online. If they can force everyone to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold, even PC gamers, they get more money. Valve is a competitor, not an ally.

MS was willing to screw the 360 user base, what made you think they wouldn't screw the PC user base?
Old 2014-03-16, 16:07   Link #51
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Microsoft most profitable sector is the corporate and business solution. They don't have to pander or tailor their OS for the regular gaming consumer let alone Steam. To simply put it, PC gamers are not their core business.

Personally, i dont feel like Microsoft thinks of Steam as a valid competitor even in the gaming sector. Their concern is all on the console now with nothing at all for the PC platform. While there's some level of cannibalization between PC and console user, it's not that significant enough to warrant a shift in design.

The move to switch to a unified closed ecosystem with Win 8 is motivated more by Apple and the rise of smartphone and tablet. SteamOS is Valve's answer to this change to avoid being cornered by MS in the future.
Old 2014-03-16, 16:31   Link #52
greensoulreaper
こんにちは

Quote:
MS doesn't care about Steam, they don't get paid for it. They rather run Xbox games on PC and charge people to play online. If they can force everyone to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold, even PC gamers, they get more money. Valve is a competitor, not an ally.

MS was willing to screw the 360 user base, what made you think they wouldn't screw the PC user base?
I don't know. It would shake a lot of people's trust in MS. I think that alone will affect consumer's decisions in buying any product with their name on it. That's why I think MS doing something like that would be pretty unwise.
Old 2014-03-16, 16:37   Link #53
TJR

Quote:
The long term plan is to phase out Win32 in favour of WinRT apps. Those are sold exclusively through Microsoft's Windows Store, which leaves the future of Steam in question.

SteamOS and Steam Machines (a lot of questions remain, such as whether consumer desktops will eventually fall out of the mainstream, or if PC gamers will keep SteamOS desktops for gaming if WinRT dominates in productivity software) are safety measures. They're keeping all options open, including a transition from desktop gaming to PC-style experiences in the living room.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-16, 17:01   Link #54
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
I don't know. It would shake a lot of people's trust in MS. I think that alone will affect consumer's decisions in buying any product with their name on it. That's why I think MS doing something like that would be pretty unwise.
People have zero trust in MS already. We use their products because we don't have much of a choice. MS know this, Valve know this. And that's why Valve is preparing an insurance policy.
Old 2014-03-16, 18:39   Link #55
greensoulreaper
こんにちは

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
The long term plan is to phase out Win32 in favour of WinRT apps. Those are sold exclusively through Microsoft's Windows Store, which leaves the future of Steam in question.

SteamOS and Steam Machines (a lot of questions remain, such as whether consumer desktops will eventually fall out of the mainstream, or if PC gamers will keep SteamOS desktops for gaming if WinRT dominates in productivity software) are safety measures. They're keeping all options open, including a transition from desktop gaming to PC-style experiences in the living room.
Personally, I hate that some games require you to have steam for it. If that were done away with completely, I would barely touch steam. Even if they do have great sales from time to time, I prefer hard copies anyways.

Desktops and PC gaming aren't going to disappear, or at least I don't see any solid indication of that today. If there's anything that alienates me from PC, it's DRM. Because of that, we'd be screwed if one day, whichever software we use that is a form of DRM decides to just shut down, there goes our money.
Old 2014-03-16, 19:12   Link #56
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

If you hate steam, you would loath Xbox Live Gold more. Imagine having to pay Microsoft in order to watch youtube videos on your own internet that you paid for.
Old 2014-03-16, 19:18   Link #57
greensoulreaper
こんにちは

Quote:
If you hate steam, you would loath Xbox Live Gold more. Imagine having to pay Microsoft in order to watch youtube videos on your own internet that you paid for.
You got that right. I never paid for Xlive the entire time I owned a XB360. I was also ticked when they closed down Games for Windows Live. It's all about $$$. "What customers want? F that." is what MS is telling me sometimes.
Old 2014-03-16, 20:08   Link #58
T-6000

Quote:

When Microsoft first released Games for Windows Live they actually did try to charge gold subscription, and GFWL took a large hit. Steam had just as many features (if not more) and was completely free, and that was something you can't compete with. So Microsoft had to remove the gold subscription, but in turn gave the client little to no support.

Quote:
People have zero trust in MS already. We use their products because we don't have much of a choice. MS know this, Valve know this. And that's why Valve is preparing an insurance policy.
As a Windows Platform user, I don't have all that much trust with them as it is. But as a PC Gamer, my trust with them is in the deep negative zone. Ever since 2007 they have made a whole bunch of promises for PC Gaming and backed out on most of them (if not all). They promised to bring more titles to the PC Platform, which they didn't see through (I'm still waiting for that "Graphics heavy" PC Title they promised), and they make this promise every year since 2007. They also promised more support for GFWL with updates and features, but they never followed through (it only got a handful of updates while Steam gets several every month). And they also said that they wouldn't pull the plug on GFWL and they would continue to support it for the future, and now we've gotten word that GFWL wll be taken offline in July of this year. People who have bought GFWL titles that use it's Server Side Authentication will be in trouble. Some developers have recently put out patches to remove GFWL from their games but others stil haven't (such as People Can Fly's "Bulletstorm"). A couple weeks ago Microsoft told Rock Paper Shotgun that they plan on bringing more titles to the PC, but I don't expect them to follow through.

This is one of the reasons why I hope the SteamOS is successful, if enough PC Gamers adopt it over Windows (it'll take a long time for that to happen, I'll admit, but chances of that happening look good if Valve plays their cards right with the OS) it may force Microsoft to bring some more titles to the PC as well as improve on their services. I'll admit that one of the reasons why I am sticking with Windows 7 and not adopting 8 is because I'm not one bit happy with their support for PC Gamers. Even though it's an insignificant punishment on my part, it's a personal stance for me. I'll move on from Windows 7 when the times comes that I really have to, but until then I'll give Microsoft as little support as possible.

Last edited by T-6000; 2014-03-16 at 20:18.
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-16, 22:28   Link #59
saravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Except they already have. It shouldn't be a surprise that most enthusiast gamers are sticking with Windows 7 instead of upgrading.
I think most computer users are sticking with Windows 7, unless they get stuck with 8 in a prebuilt, but I attribute that more to the "Good OS -> Bad OS -> Good OS -> etc" curse, than anything else. If this trend, that 8 started, continues, then that's cause for concern. However, I can't see it continuing unless it was successful and I would not call "sticking with 7" a success.