AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 8 16.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 9 18.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 14.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 22.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 14.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 8.00%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 2.00%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 4.00%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-09-22, 20:37   Link #61
Shinhwa
Banned

They should have seriously just animated Liberal Art City arc...
Shinhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-22, 23:02   Link #62
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
Wait a minute. If Misaka could use her powers when she was still poisoned, why didn't she just zap Aritomi after he broke Febri's cure-thingy?
And how would that help? Plus, you have to remember that she started using her powers after she fainted, meaning time passed along with the weakening of the formula.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-22, 23:21   Link #63
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinhwa View Post
They should have seriously just animated Liberal Art City arc...
But we'll never know what happened to Shinobu if they did that!
Old 2013-09-23, 10:11   Link #64
Qilin
Romanticist

This was a good episode by my standards. It could have been done much better, like portraying the main villains as more sympathetic, for one. They're much too generic, but it's not really that big of a deal.

I'm not too concerned with the lore behind all of this, but I think this arc has been doing very well to provide some much needed closure for the Sisters arc. I feel that this was one of the things sorely lacking as I read through the Railgun manga. Here, Misaka learns to trust in her friends more and place herself on equal footing with them. Kuroko bringing out the four-leaf clover from the earlier episode was a nice touch.

It's not an original development by any means, but something like this was a necessary step to move her character forward. You could say that I'm in this more for the character growth and drama than the actual action, but then Railgun has always been that sort or series.
Old 2013-09-23, 10:46   Link #65
Birdway
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
I'm not too concerned with the lore behind all of this, but I think this arc has been doing very well to provide some much needed closure for the Sisters arc. I feel that this was one of the things sorely lacking as I read through the Railgun manga. Here, Misaka learns to trust in her friends more and place herself on equal footing with them. Kuroko bringing out the four-leaf clover from the earlier episode was a nice touch.
The problem here is, Misaka has yet to do that months later after Sisters Arc. So there is inconsistencies on her character.
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-23, 10:59   Link #66
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
The problem here is, Misaka has yet to do that months later after Sisters Arc. So there is inconsistencies on her character.
That still isn't a part of the current narrative, is it? So it's no problem.

Given how much this adaptation has impressed me thus far, I'm effectively looking at this as something distinct from its source material. If some future adaptation screws up and causes it to be inconsistent, I'll judge that one. For now, I like what I'm seeing.
Old 2013-09-23, 11:48   Link #67
HandofFate

lol, why is Saten even there?
Has she done anything this whole arc while everyone was helping other than the babysit?
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-23, 11:50   Link #68
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
lol, why is Saten even there?
Has she done anything this whole arc while everyone was helping other than the babysit?
She had a bat and was a temporary mom.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-23, 13:57   Link #69
Ashaman

Quote:
The problem is that doing that is a step down for Misaka. She's having to lower herself (or the narrative is lowering her capabilities) to their level.
Old 2013-09-23, 14:02   Link #70
R.LocK
My turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
But we'll never know what happened to Shinobu if they did that!
Who cares about Shinobu, though?

I... don't know. I'd rather have last remaining episodes dedicated to SoL rather than watch this. It's so generic that I don't even know how to feel about this arc after wonderful Sisters' Arc adaptation. Just end this on this week already, dammit.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-23, 14:22   Link #71
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.LocK View Post
I... don't know. I'd rather have last remaining episodes dedicated to SoL rather than watch this. It's so generic that I don't even know how to feel about this arc after wonderful Sisters' Arc adaptation. Just end this on this week already, dammit.
Honestly, I agree. It would have fared much better than the attempt here. Misaka on ep17 summed it up quite nicely so far:
Old 2013-09-23, 16:52   Link #72
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
The problem is that doing that is a step down for Misaka. She's having to lower herself (or the narrative is lowering her capabilities) to their level.
Why is that a problem?

The story makes it a point to show that despite the level gap, her friends are still capable of doing something to contribute. Just the fact that she was able to tell them the entire situation already shows huge character growth on her part. I haven't seen any case of her literally lowering her abilities just to stand alongside them anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.LocK View Post
I... don't know. I'd rather have last remaining episodes dedicated to SoL rather than watch this.
Well, I'd agree with this since we've already seen that this studio can do some good SoL material (I use the term liberally here), but I just can't see this arc as horrible like of lot of the people here seem to be saying. Yes, the villain and the whole set up is uninspired, but the character drama beneath, plus its tie up with the previous arc, gives it a decent amount of value.

That said, it's not like this show is particularly good at SoL or character drama either. I just know and appreciate what it wants to do with its characters. I've never really held a high opinion of the plots of Index or Railgun to begin with.

Last edited by Qilin; 2013-09-24 at 09:32.
Qilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-24, 01:10   Link #73
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

[QUOTE=Qilin;4842941
I've never really held a high opinion of the plots of Index or Railgun to begin with.[/QUOTE]

I beg to disagree.

But let's not get into that discussion right now...

Anyway, this episode was excellent. If I view this while forgetting the original material then it definitely becomes enjoyable.

I think the problem is that people are automatically down-grading this because it isn't liberal arts city...

In the end, since we are stuck with this I feel personally like we should just enjoy it for what it is.

If you want to hate it, then you have 8 or 7 less episodes of Railgun S that you can enjoy and see with high quality animation...

Maybe there are some problems with the storyline here, but in my opinion it is certainly better than nothing. I appreciate the world-building. Also, anything is weak in comparison to Kamachi's latest creations in the parent story, so I think the standards being used to judge how good this is are rather high

We should realize this is still the end of season 2 and be comparing it to the end of Index II in terms of quality. (not actually talking about Index II, but you get what I mean...)

In the end, this isn't done so badly.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-24, 01:26   Link #74
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
I think the problem is that people are automatically down-grading this because it isn't liberal arts city...
I don't know. Forgetting LAC, even then this has been fairly mediocre compared to the canon.
Old 2013-09-24, 01:30   Link #75
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACertainStark View Post
I don't know. Forgetting LAC, even then this has been fairly mediocre compared to the canon.
But at least it exists, right?... I prefer this scenario to the scenario where the Sisters arc would have its ending at episode 16...
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-24, 01:32   Link #76
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
But at least it exists, right?... I prefer this scenario to the scenario where the Sisters arc would have its ending at episode 16...
You mean if Railgun S ended at Episode 16?
Old 2013-09-24, 01:34   Link #77
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

If Railgun S ended in Episode 16, we'd have an anime series that is as short as the BRS anime series. And we all know how it suffered pacing-wise.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-24, 01:38   Link #78
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

I agree. I don't think they should suddenly drop the 2-cour standard. I prefer this since it keeps Toaru going.
Old 2013-09-24, 04:21   Link #79
Ashaman

Quote:
Why is that a problem?

The story makes it a point to show that despite the level gap, her friends are still capable of doing something to contribute. Just the fact that she was able to tell them the entire situation already shows huge character growth on her part. I haven't seen any case of her literally lowering her abilities just to stand alongside them anyway.
Its a problem because it feels forced. When a character's capabilities have to be cut on half in order to allow another character or group of characters to be useful, it creates narrative problems and people begin to question why didn't Misaka do x or y instead.

Its the same with Anti-Skill. The situation as presented there is like saying the American Military wouldn't step in to stop a terrorist threat because the company that supplies their weapons doesn't want them to.

In order to facilitate Misaka asking her friends for help, everyone else has to become half as competent.

And as for the villains? They're cringe worthy. I'd feel more threatened if Team Rocket were the bad guys.

Last edited by Ashaman; 2013-09-24 at 04:40.
Ashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-24, 06:36   Link #80
zaeraal

Quote:
Its the same with Anti-Skill. The situation as presented there is like saying the American Military wouldn't step in to stop a terrorist threat because the company that supplies their weapons doesn't want them to.
Antiskills are always incompetent. It does not matter if it is Index / Railgun Anime, PSP Game or Movie.

Quote:
In order to facilitate Misaka asking her friends for help, everyone else has to become half as competent.
This is just like saying that because of having to ask for her friends, Mikoto have also become half competent.

Saten, Uiharu, Kuroko nor Kongo have done absolutely nothing important yet to really contribute to the story.
Everything important was done by Mikoto alone. She even gets to deal with the bad guys at the end by herself.

Everything they practically do are beating the robots so Mikoto can save Febli.
If they suddenly dissapeared, then nothing would have changed. So I think blaming this on them is quite wrong.

Yes, JCStaff could have done better with some parts, but that's bad writting, not fault of some extra characters doing... nothing...
zaeraal is offline   Reply With Quote