AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Full Metal Panic

Notices

Old 2007-03-27, 22:19   Link #341
MeggieMay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
InuYasha is not really a good example of KyoAni's production values as it is a joint effort between several companies (Sunrise being one of them). When people were commenting on KyoAni making Kanon as their first 2-cour series, they were referring to the fact that it would be their first, on their own.
Yet FMP Fumoffu and FMP: TSR are both 12 and 13 episodes long, which is exactly the same as a two cour series. The only difference is that they didn't do them one right after the other. Also, it seems KyoAni did a series called I'm Gonna Be an Angel in 1999 and it was two cour's long (26 episodes).

The point I'm really trying to make here is that Kyoto Animation isn't a bunch of noobies to the animation field. They have the experience of doing a number of shows and while they don't usually do multi cour shows there is no reason to think they couldn't do it and do it well. They just haven't been doing them, for whatever reason.

Still, I'm not sure anyone was talking about KyoAni doing the rest of FMP as single run of shows making up two, three or four cours. We've tossed around a lot of different ideas on how it could be done (a few pages back) but no one knows if KyoAni is even going to do more FMP, let alone if they do how many cours they might want to try it in (seeing they may want to try doing the show via OVA's or they way they have done it up to now, in cours/seasons split apart by years).

The main thing issue the last few pages has been when and/or if will KyoAni will do more FMP and if they do can they do it while doing another show. IMO, if they wish to KyoAni can do FMP while doing other shows and the truth may be that they already are doing it. Personally, I think they are probably working on more than two shows as we speak - they just haven't announced what else they are doing. The reason I think that is I don't believe that KyoAni could have just now decided to do Clannad for the Fall. They had a full blown trailer to air after Kanon ended which says to me that they've got part of the show animated already. They may not have a lot of Clannad done but they seem to already be working on it and are past the pre-production stage.

So the point I'm trying to make here is that saying we aren't going to be seeing any more FMP because KyoAni can't handle doing more than what they are already doing is flawed reasoning. IMO if KyoAni wanted to do it, they could do it. The problem is do they want to do it now and should they do it now? There in lies a big issue. FMP doesn't seem to be popular enough to get fast tracked, so KyoAni probably will hold off doing it. There is also a issue of "is there any demand in Japan to do more FMP?" We know there are fans of the show on this board but I'm not sure how well FMP actually does when it airs on TV in Japan. No one is going to make more animated FMP if it isn't making money. I'm personally wondering how much demand there is to do more animated FMP at this point in Japan but that's a question I've not heard a good answer for so far .
MeggieMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-28, 00:31   Link #342
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeggieMay View Post
Yet FMP Fumoffu and FMP: TSR are both 12 and 13 episodes long, which is exactly the same as a two cour series. The only difference is that they didn't do them one right after the other.
"FMP! TSR" is a sequel. When people talk about a 2-cour series, they are referring to an anime series run that lasts about 6 months (1-cour being 3 months). We are not talking about the total run here, but the seasonal runs. So "Fumoffu!" and "TSR" are two separate seasons, each being 1-cour in length. The only 2-cour FMP! season is the initial one, and that was by GONZO.

Quote:
Also, it seems KyoAni did a series called I'm Gonna Be an Angel in 1999 and it was two cour's long (26 episodes).
Again, this is a joint project. It's a bit hard to discern from ANN's database, because they are fairly ambiguous about the distribution of credit (remember, most of ANN's data is user-based much like Wikipedia, so don't take everything in there as absolute truth). For actual KyoAni's solo projects, refer to KyoAni's own homepage.

Quote:
The point I'm really trying to make here is that Kyoto Animation isn't a bunch of noobies to the animation field. They have the experience of doing a number of shows and while they don't usually do multi cour shows there is no reason to think they couldn't do it and do it well. They just haven't been doing them, for whatever reason.
Nobody has ever proclaimed KyoAni to be "newbies" at animation, but they were relatively new to solo projects. Just like how Blizzard blew the gaming world away with their first few PC-games, KyoAni took the anime scene by storm with their initial solo projects of "Fumoffu!" and "Air(TV)".

Quote:
Still, I'm not sure anyone was talking about KyoAni doing the rest of FMP as single run of shows making up two, three or four cours. We've tossed around a lot of different ideas on how it could be done (a few pages back) but no one knows if KyoAni is even going to do more FMP, let alone if they do how many cours they might want to try it in (seeing they may want to try doing the show via OVA's or they way they have done it up to now, in cours/seasons split apart by years).

The main thing issue the last few pages has been when and/or if will KyoAni will do more FMP and if they do can they do it while doing another show. IMO, if they wish to KyoAni can do FMP while doing other shows and the truth may be that they already are doing it. Personally, I think they are probably working on more than two shows as we speak - they just haven't announced what else they are doing. The reason I think that is I don't believe that KyoAni could have just now decided to do Clannad for the Fall. They had a full blown trailer to air after Kanon ended which says to me that they've got part of the show animated already. They may not have a lot of Clannad done but they seem to already be working on it and are past the pre-production stage.

So the point I'm trying to make here is that saying we aren't going to be seeing any more FMP because KyoAni can't handle doing more than what they are already doing is flawed reasoning. IMO if KyoAni wanted to do it, they could do it. The problem is do they want to do it now and should they do it now? There in lies a big issue. FMP doesn't seem to be popular enough to get fast tracked, so KyoAni probably will hold off doing it. There is also a issue of "is there any demand in Japan to do more FMP?" We know there are fans of the show on this board but I'm not sure how well FMP actually does when it airs on TV in Japan. No one is going to make more animated FMP if it isn't making money. I'm personally wondering how much demand there is to do more animated FMP at this point in Japan but that's a question I've not heard a good answer for so far .
Given that the relationship between the author of "FMP!" and KyoAni is very good, to the point where the author actually assists in KyoAni's other anime projects, I say there is little need to worry about there being another FMP!-project by KyoAni.

Additionally, KyoAni is not really in the habit of rushing their projects. Recall the gap between "Fumoffu!" and "TSR". Now compare it to the gap between the "TSR:OVA" and today. It is still faaaar too early to worry about the lack of a FMP!-sequel.

It will come, in due time.

Cheers.
Old 2007-03-28, 00:33   Link #343
velvet nightmare

the problem im seeing is that they're losing the fan base they had by dragging everything out so long

1 year with no movement in the animation field surely has to take its toll on fans
velvet nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-28, 00:56   Link #344
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
the problem im seeing is that they're losing the fan base they had by dragging everything out so long

1 year with no movement in the animation field surely has to take its toll on fans
It took more than a year before "TSR" came out after "Fumoffu!", but it still kicked all sorts of ass, so what's the rush? Quality first, patience is a virtue.

Cheers.
Old 2007-03-28, 06:31   Link #345
MeggieMay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Again, this is a joint project. It's a bit hard to discern from ANN's database, because they are fairly ambiguous about the distribution of credit (remember, most of ANN's data is user-based much like Wikipedia, so don't take everything in there as absolute truth). For actual KyoAni's solo projects, refer to KyoAni's own homepage.
KyoAni's home page is a mess, at least the English version is . The Japanese page looks a lot better but I don't read Japanese and most of what I can figure out off of it is the links. The English page, on the other hand, is a mess and parts of it look like they haven't been updated years. It also doesn't render correctly in either Firefox or EI, which makes using it a real problem (currently IE is crashing on me as I write this because I tried to use it to see if I could get the page to work better in it).

Of course you aren't in charge of the site and this isn't your fault but since you brought it up I thought I'd mention some of my issues with the site .

Quote:
Additionally, KyoAni is not really in the habit of rushing their projects. Recall the gap between "Fumoffu!" and "TSR". Now compare it to the gap between the "TSR:OVA" and today. It is still faaaar too early to worry about the lack of a FMP!-sequel.
Well I'm personally not that worried about the lack of a sequel at this point. My concern is people writing off any future sequels because KyoAni has too much else to do now. I also think whoever is in charge of this (I mean the animation and its future) needs to keep the buzz going on the show or they are going to lose part of the audience with any delays, IMO. Now, the announcement that TokyoPop has picked up the novels is a helpful development in keeping the buzz going in R1 but if it really takes TokyoPop two years to get the novels out it's going to all for naught [However, I'm not sure the "two year" figure is going to be accurate. While I do think it may take two years for TokyoPop to translate novels, I also think it's possible that TP has had the license for the books for a while now but held off on the announcement. So part of the "two years" may have already passed and the books could in theory show up sooner than that to buy (but you just never know when it comes to Japanese to English translated books).]
MeggieMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 12:25   Link #346
Autumnaki
Superstar

I definetly think that there will be another season.

It seems too unlikely that there wouldn't be. It would prolly be the best season as far as plot and action and stuff. Provided they don't condense it alot.

TSR didn't have alot of conclusion to it. I mean sure. We end with Sousuke back at school with Kaname. Him about to wrap his arms around her before he gts interrupted by Kyoko, and Kaname tugging on his shirt sleeve at the end. But we also have to worry about Leonard, Tessa's bro, and there wasn't any conclusion with Amalgram. Not to mention the fact that they left The end open with Tessa as well. What with that whole speech Sousuke gives her that makes her freak out as soon as he leaves the room. The least they should do for us is give us a concluding OVA.

I dunno. I definetly don't think that this whole thing is over with just yet. I think we will see SOMETHING animated com up within the next year or two. Even if its just an OVA.
Autumnaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 09:36   Link #347
Maxon
Demon Hunter

Send a message via MSN to Maxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnaki View Post
The least they should do for us is give us a concluding OVA.

I dunno. I definetly don't think that this whole thing is over with just yet. I think we will see SOMETHING animated com up within the next year or two. Even if its just an OVA.
It's not conclusive at all, but there was on OVA released last year. It serves as some nice comedy since TSR had less comedy than the previous seasons. I guess its other purpose is for Tessa fan-service.
Maxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 11:42   Link #348
Autumnaki
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxon View Post
It's not conclusive at all, but there was on OVA released last year. It serves as some nice comedy since TSR had less comedy than the previous seasons. I guess its other purpose is for Tessa fan-service.
Hmm... I dunno. I think that there will be something that will come up. Just don't know when.

Lucky?Star already has a release date, so that project is done. So far alot of people are saying that the new Key game that Kyoani is working on right now, is looking at a release date of October. So we might hear about what comes next somewhere around then. *shrug*
Old 2007-03-30, 11:45   Link #349
Maxon
Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnaki View Post
Hmm... I dunno. I think that there will be something that will come up. Just don't know when.

Lucky?Star already has a release date, so that project is done. So far alot of people are saying that the new Key game that Kyoani is working on right now, is looking at a release date of October. So we might hear about what comes next somewhere around then. *shrug*
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu is also in production (due for a autumn/winter broadcast), so I don't forsee anything this year. We haven't even been given a rough estimate of when the next FMP series will air. Normally there is a rough indication of 6-9 months before the intended date of broadcast.
Old 2007-03-30, 13:13   Link #350
Autumnaki
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxon View Post
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu is also in production (due for a autumn/winter broadcast), so I don't forsee anything this year. We haven't even been given a rough estimate of when the next FMP series will air. Normally there is a rough indication of 6-9 months before the intended date of broadcast.
Seriously? When did they announce that??? O____o;;

Meh, I say... Let them get the second season of Haruhi out of the way. It will get the hardcore Haruhi fans off of their backs, and feed their appetites for awhile, and in the meantime the next FMP! novel will start in Dragon Magazine again. So FMP fans will still have something until 08. They will probably make an announcement around this coming winter about stuff. Who knows.
Old 2007-03-30, 14:34   Link #351
Meatrose
Antihero

Yikes!

I had no idea that another Haruhi-season was under production, but I knew that they were gonna do that before any FMP-related stuff. Given the popularity of the Haruhi-trademark it wasn't a real shock to hear about that tbh.

These last 3 days I watched the full shows of Air, Kanon and Haruhi, you know... just to see what the hell was keeping them from fulfilling OUR needs (lol) and I must say that they were all really good. It seems that everything KyoAni touches has turned into gold so far.

Well then, what about FMP? I expected them to release another Haruhi-season first, and they're working with Clannad too. What I don't know is; can we expect another Key-related show after Clannad, or is that it? Air--Kanon--Clannad--XXX? I think someone spoke about another Key-story that was to be told after Clannad, but I have no information whatsoever about that. Can someone wise enlighten me? =)

Btw, I'm sure that those of you that have watched Haruhi spotted the FMP-stuff in episode 7. Made me laugh when esper-boy used his attacks called "fumoffu" and "second raid"
Meatrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 15:18   Link #352
ricerocket

new haruhi from kyoani? according to what?
ricerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 17:11   Link #353
Rahan

A new season of Haruhi has not been announced yet. There are only rumors.

Apparently, Kyonani has announced on their website 10 new original projects !

All of them are originals, so no Key fourth project, FMP or Haruhi listed.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 18:13   Link #354
Maxon
Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post

I can't remember where I heard it. It might have been this thread.
Old 2007-03-30, 21:06   Link #355
Autumnaki
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post

Crud... so does that mean we have to wait even longer????

Like... longer than 2008??
Old 2007-03-31, 08:18   Link #356
Meatrose
Antihero

Bah, that's it. I'm gonna have to pull a Cartman and freeze my body. Please wake me up when the next season is here.

Truth to be told, I haven't completely understood what all this means. Will they animate all those 10 projects? Or are they asking their fans to vote for one of them and animate the winner, or the top 3 or something? I followed your link and asked pretty much the same question there, but noone has answered there yet. Well, if noone here knows anything about that, I guess an answer should appear sooner or later in the other thread.

See you later... gotta go prepare the Kryotank. ^^
Meatrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 10:33   Link #357
TigerII
Pilot in Training

I would suggest getting into several other series. It is gonna be a while.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 11:57   Link #358
Autumnaki
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Metal_Meatrose View Post
Bah, that's it. I'm gonna have to pull a Cartman and freeze my body. Please wake me up when the next season is here.

Truth to be told, I haven't completely understood what all this means. Will they animate all those 10 projects? Or are they asking their fans to vote for one of them and animate the winner, or the top 3 or something? I followed your link and asked pretty much the same question there, but noone has answered there yet. Well, if noone here knows anything about that, I guess an answer should appear sooner or later in the other thread.

See you later... gotta go prepare the Kryotank. ^^

Good God I am so joining you. I am hoping they will just do a season two of Haruhi, and get all those fans content and then work on FMP. I thought Kyoani had a bunch of FMP fans working for them anyway? Didn't they say they wanted to work on the next season?

I guess this leaves us to wonder. ARE THEY REALLY GOING TO MAKE A NEW SEASON!?!?!?!?!?!? Or are we all just living in a fantasy world???? *emo*
Old 2007-03-31, 12:01   Link #359
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Untill anything is announced, we might be living in a fantasy world. I am more interested in the last novels though. Finish this out.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 12:22   Link #360
Autumnaki
Superstar

I suppose there is hope. I mean the novels aren't done. And I know that there are many times where people wait until an entire series is done before they choose to make it into a movie or a tv show.

I am kinda said that Abstratica hasn't been updated in awhile. I LOVE the scans that are up on the site from Dragon Magazine. I haven't seen any recent scans from.... i think its MMD? That made me sad. I want to find more illustrations from the more recent Dragon magazine. I have no idea where to find them though.

Last edited by Autumnaki; 2007-04-03 at 19:20. Reason: Typo

Tags
there is a god!