AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Love Live!

Notices

Old 2016-07-06, 19:38   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Love Live! - Character Discussion - µ's

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things µ's related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Love Live! fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-25, 10:57   Link #2
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'm replying to this here since it's purely a counterargument to Pen3's criticisms of the original Love Live. I don't have much problem with the bulk of Pen3's assessment of Sunshine, but I think his arguments do a severe disservice to the original Love Live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
The original didn't have very good characterization at all, it was mainly the Honoka/Kotori/Umi trio and that was still fairly weak.
I completely disagree. The original had very good-to-excellent characterization across the board.

In addition to the three 2nd years, Eli, Maki, and Nico were all very well-developed in Season 1. Eli's characterization was very solid, and the anime did an excellent job of showing smooth seamless character development for Eli from her first appearance in Episode 1 to her joining μ's in Episode 8 to what Eli was like at the end of Season 1. Eli was initially a very stern and driven person, lacking much trust in others, and having become duty-bound to an excessive degree. In joining μ's, Eli allowed herself to embrace fun again, and to accept truly new experiences and ways of doing things. With this change, Eli demonstrated considerably maturity, and the beautiful irony is that she did so by becoming less of an edgelord and more happy/optimistic. This makes Eli a wondrous counterpoint to some of the more cynical notions of what it means to be an adult. With Episode 8, we get a strong sense of a great weight being lifted off of Eli's shoulders as she allows herself to truly embrace life itself again, and not merely the duties and obligations that often come along with life. And by the end of LL Season 1, we see an Eli that has embraced life and several new friends, realizing the considerable value in having other people in your life that you like and trust and share good experiences with.

Maki is one of the best tsunderes I've ever seen, and her own character development was also smooth and believable. Maki, like Eli, was overly stern and loner-esque early on, finding it difficult to connect much to other people for a variety of reasons. Maki, like Eli, learned to relax some and embrace fun and friends for their own sake. Maki never lost her considerable charm and wittiness, and in fact had that grow due to being more comfortable talking with other people. LL Season 1 Episode 10 did an excellent job of drawing parallels between Eli and Maki. In so doing, it nicely demonstrated Eli's character growth through the first 9 episodes, and similar growth that Maki should have. I found this a very clever approach to Eli and Maki, better enabling both characters to feel like individuals within the wider μ's.

Nico is consistently a good source of comedy. Love Live also did a good job of displaying the pros and cons to Nico's hardcore fan-based perfectionism. In this way, Nico can in fact be an interesting representation of detail-oriented hardcore fans in any fandom (it's not hard for me to imagine the superhero fan equivalent of Nico's school idol fan). One good point of Nico's perfectionism is how very knowledgeable she is about what she loves, enabling her to quickly bring the rest of μ's up-to-speed on school idols and what makes school idols special. On the other hand, her perfectionism previously chased people away, and it occasionally presents real difficulties for the rest of μ's to deal with. There's also considerable dynamism in Nico's relationships with other μ's members. Nico starts out wanting to be the clear leader of μ's, which played marvelously into a highly humorous Episode 6. But as time goes on, Nico is drawn to other μ's members, making deeper friendships with some of them. Nico's strongly implied friendship with Maki is a good example of this, and later on we see Nico take on an admirable mentor role towards Hanayo and Rin. Nico, Maki, Hanayo, and Rin in fact become like a subgroup within the wider μ's. It's interesting to see the many different ways that μ's can be seperated into different friendship dynamics, in a variety of different subgroups and one-to-one relationships.

To keep this from going overly long, I'll end things here for now. If other LL fans found this read interesting, perhaps I'll delve into other μ's characters like this sometime in the future, perhaps choosing to focus on 3 μ's characters per post.
Old 2016-08-25, 12:05   Link #3
R.LocK
My turn

I don't feel that OG did a very good job fleshing out girls by themselves. However, I feel that they shone as a group very very brightly, playing off each other's strengths and weaknesses alike. This is what made me pick the series right back up, a whole year after I initially disregarded it as just another idol franchise.

In my opinion, episodes dedicated to focus only on one girl out of the nine were by far the weakest, except for Rin and Nozomi. On the other hand, any episode which focused on the group dynamics, no matter how foolish it looked like, was undeniably strong.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-26, 22:13   Link #4
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

If u's announced some random reunion performance 2-3 years from now, I'd make it my life mission to go see it.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-26, 22:24   Link #5
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.LocK View Post
I don't feel that OG did a very good job fleshing out girls by themselves. However, I feel that they shone as a group very very brightly, playing off each other's strengths and weaknesses alike. This is what made me pick the series right back up, a whole year after I initially disregarded it as just another idol franchise.

In my opinion, episodes dedicated to focus only on one girl out of the nine were by far the weakest, except for Rin and Nozomi. On the other hand, any episode which focused on the group dynamics, no matter how foolish it looked like, was undeniably strong.
Hhhmm... there's probably some truth to this. The best OG episodes probably were the ones focusing on the full group. There was also a lot of good verbal chemistry throughout the full group - The best comedy episodes tended to be the ones where everybody played off of everybody else (the Halloween episode probably being the best example of this, in my opinion).
Old 2016-08-27, 00:41   Link #6
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
If u's announced some random reunion performance 2-3 years from now, I'd make it my life mission to go see it.
I hereby vote for Muse to perform in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-16, 23:36   Link #7
Windy
Smug AF Birb

Send a message via MSN to Windy
Happy Birthday Hanayo Koizumi!

May the rice gods bless you with much white rice today!

Tags
characters