Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2011-11-17, 09:38   Link #601
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
Well Monogatari is the complete opposite of Circlet Girl. The former got literally zero votes from collaborators while the latter got very close to zero votes from the public.
Circlet Girl sounds interesting....what's it about?
Old 2011-11-17, 09:42   Link #602
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I don't suppose you have the list of Top 10 for the collaborator with no regard of the public?
1. Circlet Girl (4)
2. Bento (3)
3. Occult Logic (7)
4. Idolizing (9)
5. Iris on Rainy Days (10)
6. Shinmeikai Road Grass (13)
7. Kohitsuji wa Mayowanai (23)
8. Hazuki Rine no Teikoku (16)
10. Golden Time (18)
10. Toaru Hikuushi e no Serenade (22)

Proportion of collaborator votes among all votes for each title in top 10
Circlet: 98.1%
Idol: 97.1%
Iris: 93.2%
Occult: 93.0%
Bento: 75.5%
Hagani: 24.2%
SAO: 23.5% 
Bakatest: 18.9% 
Haruhi: 13.7% 
Index: 8.5% 
Old 2011-11-17, 09:45   Link #603
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
Already read that, but i can't deduce where the author plan to take the series to from that teaser XD. It kinda look like a school romcom introduction with a little bit of action setting though. Do I guess it right?

2 to 3 volume per year is actually the norm for the plot heavier title though. Kami memo also only produce 2 volume a year on average(maybe even less). Index's author is just that fast for producing 4-5 300 pages book a year.
I haven't read very far yet and I intend to read the bunko version, but you can read the web version here:
http://ncode.syosetu.com/n2569f/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I'm not too sure myself, but our Kino has it all along. If you can't find at Taka, go Liang Court, it has a complete set for nearly any LN ever shipped here. If you see on Bookweb "In fulfilment centre" but cannot find at Taka Kino, it's definitely at Liang Court Kino.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 09:48   Link #604
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
1. Circlet Girl (4)
2. Bento (3)
3. Occult Logic (7)
4. Idolizing (9)
10. Golden Time (18)

Collaborator votes proportion:

Wow, so basically nothing popular ? Is it suppose to be a Critics thing for all of them to go against mainstream?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 10:02   Link #605
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Having some prior experiences in swallowing epiclly long SF stories with confusing settings and terms is recommended. If you expect another Haganai or Oreimo, good luck to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Wow, so basically nothing popular ? Is it suppose to be a Critics thing for all of them to go against mainstream?
Well Bento is mainstream enough IMO. Also, Haganai and FMP were in last year's collaborator ranking.

Btw collabarators also include writers, and it is no surprise that writers tend to hate mainstream works of the same genre.

To be fair, I have read a majority of the mainstream works and the ones picked up by the collaborators. Considering quality alone, I'd have to agree with the selections of the collaborators, even though some of them may be a bit hardcore.
Old 2011-11-17, 10:14   Link #606
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Having some prior experiences in swallowing epiclly long SF stories with confusing settings and terms is recommended. If you expect another Haganai or Oreimo, good luck to you.

Dood....I'm reading Horizon.....Oreimo is not my cup of tea....

Liang Court....Has far more stuff than Ngee Ann....usually there these days...
Old 2011-11-17, 11:09   Link #607
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Dood....I'm reading Horizon.....Oreimo is not my cup of tea....
No offence. I was simply trying to point out what genre the series is in.

The fact that Circlet girl got almost zero vote from the entire voting public should be a helpful indicator. I have no info on Horizon yet but its public votes should at least be very far from zero.

On the other hand if you have been following Kawakami from his early days and have read the entirety of his infamous "都市" series with ease, Circlet Girl would be a piece of cake .
Old 2011-11-17, 12:15   Link #608
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
No offence. I was simply trying to point out what genre the series is in.

The fact that Circlet girl got almost zero vote from the entire voting public should be a helpful indicator. I have no info on Horizon yet but its public votes should at least be very far from zero.

On the other hand if you have been following Kawakami from his early days and have read the entirety of his infamous "都市" series with ease, Circlet Girl would be a piece of cake .
Well that's what got my eye actually, having no votes from the public....means it's ultra-rich so to speak....
Old 2011-11-17, 17:46   Link #609
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I totally recommend Alice and Masayoshi are Indifferent, I read the first chapter and I'm totally in love with the story, plus it shows promise in my opinion.
Old 2011-11-17, 19:48   Link #610
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
1. Circlet Girl (4)
2. Bento (3)
3. Occult Logic (7)
4. Idolizing (9)
10. Golden Time (18)

Never thought to aru hikushii get that good of an review from collaborators. I read renai already, and although it's pretty good, that kind of story is just notmy cup of tea in a novel. Might enjoy the anime version much more though.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 19:59   Link #611
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
EDIT:

Top 10 for the public with no regard of collaborator votes:

SAO (1)
Index (2)
Haganai (6)
Monogatari
Bento (3)
Bakatest (5)
Oreimo (11)
Haruhi (8)
Kamimemo (14)
Kokoro Connect (12)

Quote:

Ben-to seem to be an unusual case being somewhat equally liked by mainstream and Collaborator, this is not something I would have expected given it's wacky premise that's more along the lines of Baka-Test.

Mainstream wise, it looks like there's a surprisingly even number of titles that are light hearted and those that are serious plot, but that's only for the top ten- I would think light hearted series attract more fans easily.
Old 2011-11-17, 20:13   Link #612
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Unlike baka test, ben-to took its own ridiculous setting seriously, and frankly, from what I read, ben-to's author writing style is at least a level higher than Inoue-sensei's super simple writing style. Which one is more enjoyable depend on the reader's preference and mood though.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 20:49   Link #613
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
Mainstream wise, it looks like there's a surprisingly even number of titles that are light hearted and those that are serious plot, but that's only for the top ten- I would think light hearted series attract more fans easily.
It's call "Light" novel for a reason. To me, it's suppose to be something that can be read easily and can enjoy as a relaxation, not something that makes me go back and forth b/t settings and plots and still don't know what's going on...

Quote:
Ben-to seem to be an unusual case being somewhat equally liked by mainstream and Collaborator, this is not something I would have expected given it's wacky premise that's more along the lines of Baka-Test.
Not really. Ben-To = 75% Collaborator, 25% Web, 0% Survey (12-18 y.o.).

The 2 "most balance" (in terms of % of point) out of the Top 10 are SAO (44.93% Web, 31.59% Survey, 23.47% Collaborators) and Haganai (44.34% Web, 31.46% Survey, 24.19% Collaborators).

One have to realized that survey size is not big at all, though. It's 65 Collaborator, 103 people surveyed, and 1434 people vote on Web...
ion475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 21:14   Link #614
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
It's call "Light" novel for a reason. To me, it's suppose to be something that can be read easily and can enjoy as a relaxation, not something that makes me go back and forth b/t settings and plots and still don't know what's going on...
I'm pretty sure the 'light' refers to the size and thickness of the books, not the nature of the actual content

(In before Horizon)

Quote:
Not really. Ben-To = 75% Collaborator, 25% Web, 0% Survey (12-18 y.o.).

The 2 "most balance" (in terms of % of point) out of the Top 10 are SAO (44.93% Web, 31.59% Survey, 23.47% Collaborators) and Haganai (44.34% Web, 31.46% Survey, 24.19% Collaborators).

One have to realized that survey size is not big at all, though. It's 65 Collaborator, 103 people surveyed, and 1434 people vote on Web...
My balance meaning both can be found in roughly the same positions whether it's by the Collaborators or the Public.

But I'm surprised at the small pool of public voters, I thought given how popular Light Novels have become we'll have something like ISML numbers, not much just a couple thousand online...
Old 2011-11-17, 21:17   Link #615
larethian

Quote:
actually, while most titles confer to this, it's already starting to diverge. some titles are published under both Light Novel and normal Bunko labels, with the only difference being the cover and the inside illustrations, and their content and language is not necessarily 'light', and remains the same for both versions (the LN version may have more furigana though). my eyes bleed when I read stuff like Horizon or the Regios spinoffs (not that I have really read them, just browsing).
Old 2011-11-17, 21:18   Link #616
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Most obvious is KnK and Gosick....
Old 2011-11-17, 21:23   Link #617
tomtkp

May I know how and where do you guys get the statistic data for Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi 2012 consider that the magazine is not on sale yet? (sorry for the stupid question)
Old 2011-11-17, 21:54   Link #618
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Technically "light novel" is anything and everything published by the recognized light novel labels, regardless of nature and thickness, or whether there is illustration at all. It is not that different from the shoujo or seinen designations in the manga scene.

As Lare pointed out there are in fact quite a few light novels got directly into the conventional literature scene by just changing the cover.

Examples include the SDF Trilogy by Hiroshi Arigawa, a majority of light novels by Itsuki Sakuraba, Psyche no Namida by Jin Shibamura, and many others.

And then there are also light novels that don't look like light novels at all. If you stay in this thread long enough Mimizuku is probably the first title come up to your mind.

As for Bento, the collaborators have been pushing it for quite some time (in the previous years) and long before the public even notices the series. The choice of animating it was to a certain extent influenced by their push, and consequently with the anime more and more casual readers flow in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtkp View Post
May I know how and where do you guys get the statistic data for Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi 2012 consider that the magazine is not on sale yet? (sorry for the stupid question)

Spoiler:

Last edited by Doraneko; 2011-11-17 at 22:11.
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 22:03   Link #619
tomtkp

Quote:

Spoiler:
Okay,okay,I got it.
Someone had answered my question by PM though.
Old 2011-11-17, 23:18   Link #620
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtkp View Post
Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Tags
light novels