Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-11-10, 04:36   Link #101
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
Why would he? He was the only pitcher of a small team, so his defensive position was set in stone. At best, he might have had some experience with field play from way back before middle school... Why would that coach think a pitcher would have any experience in field play is beyond me.
I don't think he cared whether he has any experience in the field or not.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 09:16   Link #102
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I don't think he cared whether he has any experience in the field or not.
This, he's testing Eijun to see what happens.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 05:36   Link #103
JKL
Kyuuketsuki

Watching this. While it is enjoyable for what it is, it won't make me a fan of real life baseball any time soon.
JKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 05:46   Link #104
hamazura
whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKL View Post
Watching this. While it is enjoyable for what it is, it won't make me a fan of real life baseball any time soon.
me too, i play tennis, badminton, soccer and basketball but i never like baseball... why? because there's no one fvking play baseball in my country
Old 2013-11-23, 23:34   Link #105
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
I'm not gonna lie, I never played baseball in my life and I think baseball as a sport is god dam boring to watch.

That said, I love baseball stories, where it's as much about the personal relationships as it is about the actual game itself. And this show is of no exception, with just this episode we get to explore the past of Chris, how Mitsuki looks up to him, and how he got the MC of the story to bow down to him (god dam onions again T_T). I mean there IS baseball, but I like how they don't go to the nitty gritty aspects or even devote an excessive amount of time to it.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-24, 11:22   Link #106
wormspeaker

Quote:
Baseball Anime are unlikely to make you a real fan of the sport since the contents of the anime almost always focus on the interpersonal dynamics and personal growth as told through the baseball metaphor.

The real sport of baseball is incredibly boring if you don't really know the nuance of what is happening at every step. However that sort of thing makes for poor anime. Baseball is about layers of strategy (team roster strategy, team match up strategy, player usage strategy, game strategy, inning strategy, the placement of players on the field, and then the inner strategy of each at bat). So while one can watch a high energy sport like soccer, football, or basketball and enjoy it just for the energy and movement on display, baseball is really only fun for the players if you don't recognize the undercurrents of strategy going on. (And even then, some people are just to ADD to to be able to handle the long downtime for everyone on the team except the catcher and pitcher.)

But even if you do recognize it, baseball is still a low energy sport that is lots of very little happening punctuated by short spurts of fast action. That's not going to appeal to everyone. If many other sports are exciting baseball is relaxing.

While one goes to a football or soccer game to root for the team, take in the action, drink lots of beer, get drunk, and yell at the players, baseball is a different pace. One goes to a baseball game to enjoy the weather, enjoy the company of those around you, eat a hot dog, and drink some beer. The game itself for most people is kind of like the campfire at a camping trip. It's just something for everyone to look at while stories are told, food is eaten, and comradery is had.
wormspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-24, 12:04   Link #107
Uribatake

I've seen people dismissing this show as a "generic sports anime", but I see it as the purest sports anime in quite some time. I love Kuroko's Basketball and Yowamushi Pedal as much as the next guy, but I think it's refreshing to see a show that's all about the game, with no cartoonish excess or a main character who's an oddball and an unlikely genius at the same time.
Uribatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-24, 22:01   Link #108
kitten320

I'm fucking annoyed with Sawamura! I mean WTF dude?! It took angered Miyuki and injured Chris to get his freaking head out of clouds!

WTF did he think baseball is? Just ball throwing? He doesn't even know what half the players are meant to do and he calls himself a baseball lover?

Does her really think that running aka stamina are the only things needed? What about other muscles?! Especially arms and shoulder! Where does he think the power comes from and what is the most under risk for pitcher?

Come on dude! Just how fucking retarded do you have to be not to figure out the basics of almost any sport! Especially of the one you love!

If he won't get any smarter after this, he officially will be the most retarded MC in sports anime history.
Goro in Major is also hot headed but the guy knows exactly what he is doing, he is a real baseball lover. Sawamura is just an eyesore.

It was about time someone put him in place. Well done Miyuki, now I like you even more.

Uribatake
You really should take a look at Major then. MC is not an oddball and it is all about baseball and games. Especially in later seasons. Goro is also hot headed but 50 times smarter then Sawamura (in baseball at least). He did annoy me a bit in season 2 but it does not even come close to how much Sawamura pissed me off just now.
Old 2013-11-25, 12:53   Link #109
Uribatake

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Uribatake
You really should take a look at Major then. MC is not an oddball and it is all about baseball and games. Especially in later seasons. Goro is also hot headed but 50 times smarter then Sawamura (in baseball at least). He did annoy me a bit in season 2 but it does not even come close to how much Sawamura pissed me off just now.
Someone recommended me Major years ago, when it had just finished its first season. I didn't give it a try because I didn't have much interest in baseball, but I started to develop some affinity for the game after watching other shows that had something else to offer like gambling strategy (One Outs) and high school romance (Touch, Cross Game).

Now that I got to a point where I can enjoy a straight-up baseball show like Ace of the Diamond, I guess I should give Major a try. I'll see if I can find a well-seeded batch torrent.

Last edited by Uribatake; 2013-11-25 at 16:54.
Old 2013-11-25, 15:44   Link #110
ditn

you should major is really great
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 19:02   Link #111
Kirarakim

Leaving Japan today

But turned on the TV while I pack and the latest episode was on. I think this is the first time I caught a series I was following while in Japan. A good omen for my last day here.

Not a lot of Diamond no Ace merch here. But I did get two cute stickers from a machine.
Old 2013-12-08, 00:30   Link #112
leongsh
Daijoubu!

The next episode (Episode 11) is what I'm looking out for.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-29, 16:45   Link #113
Uribatake

Was episode 13 great or what? Forget about making it to the first string, I'm just glad Sawamura finally threw a strike to Chris.
Old 2013-12-30, 03:00   Link #114
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Too many onions. I really like this series because it pulls at your heartstrings; it really does feel like a story about bromance without the fujoshi taint. Which I guess explains in part why the dismal sales...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-30, 04:04   Link #115
hamazura
whatever

i cried...
Old 2013-12-30, 04:07   Link #116
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Too many onions. I really like this series because it pulls at your heartstrings; it really does feel like a story about bromance without the fujoshi taint. Which I guess explains in part why the dismal sales...
In truth, I don't think the P.C. was factoring in anime sales as a part of the equation here - it's really about promoting the manga. Sports series without a fujoshi base (for the record I did see one Diamond no Ace circle at Comiket ) simply don't sell discs.

I also don't think of fujoshi liking a series as a "taint". Yowapeda is extremely popular with fujoshi and it's a fantastic show. Admittedly more "old-school" sports shounen are less likely to have a fujoshi following, but there's room for both kinds of shows.
Old 2013-12-30, 16:16   Link #117
shaqpabst

So how long is this series gonna be? 13 episodes? 3-Tier or wat??
shaqpabst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-30, 18:37   Link #118
SinsI

Last episode was chapter 37, 2/3 of the way in volume 5. In total they have 39 volumes out, and continue to release it at a rate of about 5 volumes/year, so right now they have enough material for ~108 more episodes, enough for 2 more years of anime. They'll run out of material around episode 140 - and I think that's how many more episodes we can expect, unless they decide to add some fillers or go on a break.
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-30, 19:58   Link #119
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
Last episode was chapter 37, 2/3 of the way in volume 5. In total they have 39 volumes out, and continue to release it at a rate of about 5 volumes/year, so right now they have enough material for ~108 more episodes, enough for 2 more years of anime. They'll run out of material around episode 140 - and I think that's how many more episodes we can expect, unless they decide to add some fillers or go on a break.
Whoa - confident much?

At this point AFAIK no one has any idea how long this will run. I would imagine it could be a few cours at least, but who knows - the business has changed since we got a new season of Major every year with a one-cour break.
Old 2013-12-30, 22:03   Link #120
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
...the business has changed since we got a new season of Major every year with a one-cour break.
Major was more like 1 season of 25/26 episodes, then an immediate repeat of that season during the year. After the repeat concluded, the next season started.

At the very least, I hope Ace of the Diamond anime covers the whole 1st year of Eijun ;-)
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, shounen, sports