AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-30, 17:43   Link #101
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Not sure about you guys, but i wills surely miss Yuri for the most part by the end of Angel Beat.

I don't know myself, but she always surpass my expectation, especially how mature she actually turned out to be. Firstly was her observation in Kanede's Mapo Tofu screen. Then Naoi's joining the SSS, and Kanede's fishing invitation. Finally it was her participating in Kanede's rescue missions and Yuri concern over her.

For the past few years I do like many anime characters. But Yuri is probably one of the few that really earned my respect

PS:
Spoiler for Aren't they lovely:
OMG need to sig this!
Old 2010-05-30, 18:11   Link #102
caesarsalad
..is a work in progress!

About Yuri being disliked... this is my personal opinion.

Yuri isn't my favorite, but Kanade isn't EITHER, my favorite girl is probably Yui Buuut, I like both Yuri and Kanade.

....I think I sympathize with Yuri a bit more. I personally don't think Yuri really -has- to apologize to Kanade. Yuri's main priority has been the SSS. Kanade has acted in opposition to them, even if it was to maintain the peace and her motivations were basically good; the SSS didn't know them. No, she didn't reach out to Kanade... and her understanding was limited. And yeah, she ended up looking mean in some instances, but she ended up showing remorse and took the blame. I don't think she's that bad. In fact when they went to Guild for the second time, they were going there to rescue her. So is she so terrible? I personally don't think so...

And about her looking like Haruhi; meh, her color scheme is more attractive, and her eyes are lovely! XD Her personality is better too! Haruhi didn't really feel remorse, at all. I found her arrogant and selfish
Old 2010-05-30, 20:35   Link #103
kitten320

Yeh basicly same thinking.

And totally agree about Haruhi, she is a spoiled brat
Old 2010-05-30, 22:18   Link #104
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Yeh basicly same thinking.

And totally agree about Haruhi, she is a spoiled brat
Even when I really like Haruhi, i admit that she's a spoiled brat. She got everything she want afterall

Back to the topic, there are two assumptions that people often made against Yuri.
  • The first one was: Kanade found Yuri's action against her a mistreatment. I don't think Kanade ever express any feelings like sad, depressed or annoyed by the SSS before. Yuri probably won't carry out half of her actions if Kanede ever shows such human's traits (hearing a 'human' Kanede suffering even made her wondering if it was her fault)
  • The second also relate to the first. It was the assumption that: Kanede can easily be recognized as a human based on her room/ her behavior/ her value. Then point toward how Yuri purposely chose ignorance to carry her revenge. As none of us see an Angel before, i don't think it's justified to put judgment of what is obvious and what is not. The only incident that ever show Kanede could be human is "the Angelplayer program " and her buying Mapo Tofu Ticket. Both showed a sign of her emotional/physical weakness that can't exist in a higher being. With that mindset, i myself would even doubt if Kanede's really a human by the end of ep 9.

PS: Even the staff also poked fun at the fact of her being an angel. Considering how the series named "Angel Beats" and her program is named "Angelplayer " =D
Old 2010-05-30, 22:24   Link #105
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Even when I really like Haruhi, i admit that she's a spoiled brat. She got everything she want afterall

PS: Even the staff also poked fun at the fact of her being an angel. Considering how the series named "Angel Beats" and her program is named "Angelplayer " =D
Plus, at the end of the opening it shows an angel wing in Kanade's back.
Old 2010-05-31, 17:49   Link #106
Seiryuu

I imagine this has been stated before, but I really wonder why Yuri has a problem with suicide, and why she's trying to throw everything at God. I've got a few theories for Yuri's feelings about suicide despite not having done so.

1) Yuri had been contemplating suicide, even preparing for it, when some random accident took her first. Her grudge against God is partly because He didn't even let her decide when and how to go.
2) Yuri had attempted suicide before, but either her fear and uncertainty kept her from inflicting fatal injuries or, more likely imho, she was barely saved each time. Being saved from the brink, people would inevitably say that it's a miracle, and that God wants her to stay a little while longer. She hates herself on some level for her powerlessness to save those she loves, and also for perceived cowardice that kept her from being more thorough in her attempts, and projects this all on God.
3) One or both of Yuri's parents committed suicide, and Yuri somehow feels that she'd failed them too.

I can't imagine there's only one way out of this place. Not everyone will reach full acceptance or release their regrets; some will fall into pits so deep that they can no longer escape and deliberately abandon all hope, until there's no more the world can do for them. No telling what happens then, but it can't be pretty.

I suspect Yuri is going to be in danger of this by the end. What we know so far of Yuri's regrets is that she feels those close to her were taken from her, and that she wasn't able to protect them; if the SSS members start passing on, then it'll be the same all over in her eyes. It would be even worse if she eventually does figure out that the ascension is a good thing, because she'll realize that she's been fighting to keep everyone trapped in this world of regret and pain.

Either way, I suspect ultimately Otonashi and Yuri will be the only SSS left, or close, and Otonashi will have to find a way through his love for her to save her. This will probably also lead to Otonashi ascending, because he finally manages to give a loved one a gift that grants her happiness, hope and a future, instead of one that kills her.

In many ways, this reminds me of Haibane Renmei, and I wouldn't be surprised to find parallels all the way to the end.
Old 2010-06-05, 11:30   Link #107
satomianzaki

^nice one there...

and i'm already missing yuri...the latest episode is really nice...but an episode with less yurippe in it is kinda "sabishii"...will just wait for the next episodes...
Old 2010-06-05, 11:44   Link #108
kitten320

I don't see anything wrong with disliking suicide... on anyones part. Even if you have no connection to it. Because suicide is nothing more but a selfish act and cowardness. At some point those who commit suicide don't think about others who care about them.

I can partly understand those who have nothing left, are deeply ill and in pain but even then I dissaprove it.
Old 2010-06-05, 13:02   Link #109
Knightrunner

Quote:
I can partly understand those who have nothing left, are deeply ill and in pain but even then I dissaprove it.
It kind of depends. I remember there was a young patient that had metastatic caner (mult-cancer spreading) throughout the organ. The cancer spread to her liver, kidneys, intestines, and pancres but not the brain. the machines is helping her live but she was in so much pain. Even the pain medications effects are not working but she has the will to live on until her kids said to her she did enough and they will be fine.

Another case. Another patient in there early twenties ended up like Yui except even more paralyze and organ damaged. She was also in a lot of pain, but she had the will to live on. So she lived for months and months but the damage is still to great in her body. Eventualy she passed on too but I bet it was painful for the family members to watch.
Old 2010-06-05, 13:19   Link #110
kitten320

And do you think they would feel better if they knew that their child/relative/friend had commited suicide? I really doubt that.
They might try to convince themselves, but they still will be hurt.
Old 2010-06-05, 13:56   Link #111
Knightrunner

Well people will understand the reasons why though. If pain medications stop working for them and they know that death is going to come but come slow why not make it quicker.

I wouldn't want someone to suffer months of angony just because a relative wants them to live. I know the relative cares but if a person know he will die and pain medications do not work LIFE WILL BE A CRA* SHOOT
Old 2010-06-05, 14:08   Link #112
kitten320

There are times when doctors give special medications which put you to sleep. If you really can't take it, you should talk it through with your close ones.
Yeh it hurts, but as you listed there are people who can bear the pain. If you want it all to end, discuss it and find the solution, don't lay hands on yourself just like that.

I really don't want to go too deep into this topic but I can say one thing, I have a quiet straight connection to suicide. It really hurt, hurts and I'm sure it will keep hurting. And no, I don't hate that person, I'm just really sad.

If I was in huge pain and wanted it to end, I would not lay a hand on myself. I would talk it through but I think that I would prefer to die like those two even if t hurt.

But as I said I can bear with this kind of suicides.

But I sure as hell won't forgive those who kill themselves just because they got yelled or failed some stupid entrance exam or something!

P.S. And I didn't approve suicide before the incident too.
Old 2010-06-05, 14:49   Link #113
Knightrunner

I don't approve in sucuide as well but only with a few exceptions I understand. I guess it is because as a healthcare student I see some injuries that I sure definately don't want to live with or can't imagine myself in that situation. I seen a few amputations and how they treat patient's postoperatively. I guess it is becasue I'm new in the healthcare system. I even seen holes through people's bottoms which can see bone.

I hope Yurippe didn't commit sucuide either like what other people are suggest. I hope she had an accident like the rest of them and that memory is just one of the memories that she regreted. Who knows maybe she had a stable life afterwards going to school joining leadership activities and she got hit by a vehicle. Before she lost conciouness she remembered her brother and sisters and still regreted that day before she hit coma state or died. One thing is for sure is that her anger increased over time when she was in purgatory and she still seems like she usually think about that incident along with other failures in the past.
Old 2010-06-05, 14:56   Link #114
kitten320

I can agree with that statement
Old 2010-06-05, 15:04   Link #115
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by satomianzaki View Post
^nice one there...

and i'm already missing yuri...the latest episode is really nice...but an episode with less yurippe in it is kinda "sabishii"...will just wait for the next episodes...
I feel like justice isn't given to Yurippe either considering it made it seem like she was one of the main chracters. Now it seems like she was just one of the first side chracters introduced and telling her prospectives about the world. I hope the next few episodes do her justice in the end especially her past. Like what Iwasawa said her past is the worst. So I hope they develop that soon and I hope her decision making skills will advance the plot sooner.

Quote:
I can agree with that statement
Glad we are in coherence
Old 2010-06-05, 18:49   Link #116
Seiryuu

Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with disliking suicide... on anyones part. Even if you have no connection to it. Because suicide is nothing more but a selfish act and cowardness. At some point those who commit suicide don't think about others who care about them.

I wasn't talking about a person disapproving of suicide. I feel the same way myself. Yurippe, however, suddenly jumped into the subject without real cause. No one had been talking or speculating about it, her declaration came out of nowhere. It would be somewhat like if someone asked a woman whether she had kids or why she didn't have kids, and her replying vehemently that she'd never had an abortion. Having strong feelings, positive or negative, would be completely understandable, but there's not enough connection to explain the sudden leap. Yuri doesn't just have some strong convictions about suicide; suicide has a major significance to her, something meaningful enough for her to react like she did.

It certainly makes sense, though, that she'd take a leader position, and that the position would be very painful for her. She feels the need to be the protector, but she winds up seeing those she's leading die over and over with her powerless to stop it. I imagine every time her people "die" in a mission, without a specific purpose or reason for deliberately taking it, brings that memory of the first time back to her.

Last edited by Seiryuu; 2010-06-05 at 19:00.
Old 2010-06-06, 17:32   Link #117
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
I wasn't talking about a person disapproving of suicide. I feel the same way myself. Yurippe, however, suddenly jumped into the subject without real cause. No one had been talking or speculating about it, her declaration came out of nowhere. It would be somewhat like if someone asked a woman whether she had kids or why she didn't have kids, and her replying vehemently that she'd never had an abortion. Having strong feelings, positive or negative, would be completely understandable, but there's not enough connection to explain the sudden leap. Yuri doesn't just have some strong convictions about suicide; suicide has a major significance to her, something meaningful enough for her to react like she did.

It certainly makes sense, though, that she'd take a leader position, and that the position would be very painful for her. She feels the need to be the protector, but she winds up seeing those she's leading die over and over with her powerless to stop it. I imagine every time her people "die" in a mission, without a specific purpose or reason for deliberately taking it, brings that memory of the first time back to her.
^This. Reading this pushed me into the group saying that Yuri did suicide, or it at least had an influence on her.

Also gets me thinking that Yuri will disappear when everyone else in the SSS goes to rest. Knowing that her charges have "died" meaningfully and peacefully, as her siblings should have but didn't, may send her to rest as well.
Old 2010-06-06, 20:41   Link #118
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
^This. Reading this pushed me into the group saying that Yuri did suicide, or it at least had an influence on her.

Also gets me thinking that Yuri will disappear when everyone else in the SSS goes to rest. Knowing that her charges have "died" meaningfully and peacefully, as her siblings should have but didn't, may send her to rest as well.
I'm not really sure if she did commited suicide. She was able to live a few more years after her siblings were murdered so I wouldn't see why she would commit suicide in her highschool age. She may have thought about suicide before but never actually commited it. Since she was giving her past to Yuzuru and Yuzuru ask how she died it may imply she thought about suicide since she blurted it out suddenly, but she may have never commited it.
Old 2010-06-06, 23:22   Link #119
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
I'm not really sure if she did commited suicide. She was able to live a few more years after her siblings were murdered so I wouldn't see why she would commit suicide in her highschool age. She may have thought about suicide before but never actually commited it. Since she was giving her past to Yuzuru and Yuzuru ask how she died it may imply she thought about suicide since she blurted it out suddenly, but she may have never commited it.
I dunno, maybe someone important to her committed suicide, or someone's suicide killed her as well. It seems that suicide had some place in her life.
Old 2010-06-08, 08:31   Link #120
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

So i looked at Kanon's image (above), and started to think about some alternative endings of Angel Beats. Something like:

Otonashi finally let everyone, include Hinata to disappear. He and Kanede corner Yuri but Yuri was success to get him to move on first. Kanade and Yuri left in a looked-like "Mexican stand-off". Then both of them broke into laughter. Later on, they sit on above pose, and Kanade praise that this group is pretty interesting but complained that Yuri was mean and bullied her too much; and claimed it's her turn to lead the rebel group and Yuri should play the Angel role this time....
Then Yuri will just laugh out loud and claim whatever will work as long as Kanede like it so

Some ending twists like that surely will get my vote. Then it can satisfy my Yurix Kanade shipping also. Two birds one stone

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2010-06-08 at 09:15.
Closed Thread