AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Old 2005-12-16, 19:02   Link #1
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

My HiME/Otome Q&A Thread

Originally posted by NoSanninWa

This thread is for those with questions about the My Otome anime or manga. Please keep discussion about episodes in the relevant threads. And please don't ask things like asking who is stronger or more capable of winning a fight, only ask questions that can actually be answered as facts from the anime or manga.

This thread is hopefully for My Otome only. There is already a thread to help answer your questions about the ending of My Hime and we don't want to confuse things between the two series by talking about both of them here. You can ask your questions about the ending of Mai Hime in: Confused? What was the Hime star all about?

To start things off, here are a couple of questions that everyone should know the answers to.

Question: What is the connection between the My Otome manga and anime?

Answer: Very little. While the My Otome anime is inspired by the manga and uses the same character designs, there are already differences cropping up in episode 1. Please don't expect the anime to follow the manga at all, or else you're bound to get confused.

Question: What is the connection between My Otome and My Hime.

Answer: Once again the answer is: very little. The Japanese have something called a "star system" where they reuse character designs as if the parts were being played by actors starring in these shows. They simply play similar characters in different shows or manga. In the US, this is best typified by the various Tenchi anime series which have no connection despite the fact that they all have the same characters. If there is another connection between the two animes, it has not yet been shown, so it would be purely speculative. If you want speculation, please go to Are My Hime and Otome related series? (credit: kj1980)

Question: Why is there a Z in the title?

Answer: It isn't Z, it's 乙, which is a Jananese kanji character. If you spell out Otome, it's 乙女. They took out 女 so the title would be pronounced "Mai Oto-Hime", except that nobody pronounces it that way. (credit: lone_wolf)

Question: When does My Otome air?

Answer: According to the TV listings, it airs in Japan at 1:30am - 2am Friday morning. To find out when this is, in your time zone, you can use this Time Zone Coverter (http://www.timeanddate.com/. **Show time correction. Thanks to lone_wolf

Now, everyone else can ask their own questions. Please try to read some of this thread before asking so that we can cut down on the repetition.

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-02-07 at 15:03.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-17, 12:49   Link #2
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Recovered Content

Repost of recovered FAQ content.

sinistral
2005-10-13, 08:00
Let me start off with a question.

'Hime' is known as 'Princess', so what does 'Otome' stands for? My-What?

MartAnimE
2005-10-13, 08:31

"Otome" stands for "Maiden", I believe.

I too have a question, regarding the anime only, Arika is an entirely new character (having only appeared on My-HiME's last episode), is Nina an entirely new character aswell, or has she appered somewhere on My-HiME and I've missed it?
2005-10-13, 09:00

I too have a question, regarding the anime only, Arika is an entirely new character (having only appeared on My-HiME's last episode), is Nina an entirely new character aswell, or has she appered somewhere on My-HiME and I've missed it?

Nina was student at Fukaa, in class with Mai. She was sitting just in front of Tate.

Erstin ans Tomoe, respectivly number 3 & 2 of the coral Otome, are new characters.

It's not confirmed yet, but the red head girl with glasses (can't remember her name right now) in the coral class may be the alternative Midori (but in my opinion, she's also a new chara...)

paTKany
2005-10-13, 09:05
Nina was student at Fukaa, in class with Mai. She was sitting just in front of Tate.

Actually she's a Nina look-a-like. She is a chinese girl, her name is 春妹 (Chun Mei).

Rei_Ikari
2005-10-13, 12:57
You'll see Arika in the very last scene....right b4 they end off....she'll run in from the left backgrounf, stop and stare at us for a while b4 running off.......

Oh yes.... does anyone know which day is Mai Otome aired?

Edit by moderator: Unfortunately this question touched off 6 replies due to some confusion regarding how to answer the question. Since this will probably be a popular question, I deleted the whole conversation and summarized it in the first post. Thanks to lone_wolf for providing the basic information.

Answer: According to the TV listings, it airs in Japan at 2530 Thursday night which is also known as 1:30am Friday morning. To find out when this is, in your time zone, you can use this Time Zone Coverter (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html).

NoSanninWa
2005-10-14, 02:21

Otome is also short for Otohime. Otohime is the daughter of Ryuujin, the Dragon King, in Japanese folklore. And it also means youngest princess.

And nobody has a clue yet which of these meanings is relevant.

Chuong
2005-10-14, 20:36
Ok, I have a question, Dose it mean that every times otome need their robe, they need their master to confirm it, its will be really bad because just you imagine their a monster and they need to defeat it, they need to also bring their master there aswell.???

lone_wolf
2005-10-14, 20:46
Ok, I have a question, Dose it mean that every times otome need their rode, they need their master to confirm it, its will be really bad because just you imagine their a monster and they need to defeat it, they need to also bring their master there aswell.???

It hasn't been confirmed yet so we'll just have to watch and find out....we're only on episode 2

--Lone Wolf 一匹狼

Takemi_Ikazuchi
2005-10-14, 21:44
the likeness of the kanji to a Z is probably meant as a zeta gundam parody (also a sequel and also by sunrise)

http://www.gundamofficial.com/worlds...ges/splash.jpg

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/maiotome/

paTKany
2005-10-19, 02:48
pearl Nr. 1. - Akane
pearl Nr. 2. - Chie
pearl Nr. 3. - Shiho
pearl Nr. 4. - Nao

coral Nr. 1. - Nina
coral Nr. 2. - Tomoe
coral Nr. 17. - Erstin
coral Nr. 51. - Arika

Sky~hog
2005-10-19, 19:31
Hey guys, having gone to re watch the Mai HiME series before embarking onto Mai Otome ive found a big problem. when i transferd the series to DVD i lost the order of the eppisoeds. ive tryed to re-order them from the start a finnish of each epp, and failed missribuly!

its a slim hope, but is any one willing to write me a short discription of the start of each eppisode to help me re order!

it would be much appriciated!

thanks
sky~hog

Radiosity
2005-10-19, 20:10
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...d=4155&page=25

Just check out the ep titles and match them up like that.

_Reiko_
2005-10-24, 00:55
I have a question ... whos the creator of Mai Hime/Mai Otome?? just wandering XD

TBox
2005-10-24, 01:23
Mai Hime was originally conceived by "Hajime Yatate", which is a pseduonym for "Random Sunrise Employee Who Didn't Read the Fine Print on the Intellectual Copyright/Nondisclosure Agreement."

No, really.

Mai Otome should be the same, but I am already in position to be corrected.

The Character Designer is Hisayuki Hirokazu, and lone wolf will be along any second to tell you his website is www.dendoh.com (http://www.dendoh.com)

Since character design is such a huge part of "creation," I suspect what happened is the Marketing Wonks at sunrise held a meeting, said, "What's the roach motel of otakudom?" Eventually someone answered "Hawt chix utterly dependent on fanboys for giant mecha to fight with" It got refined, then they commissioned Hisayuki to do the dirty work. IOW, Mai Hime appears to have been designed by committee to be marketing gold. And it seemed to have worked.

But I speculate.

kj1980
2005-10-24, 02:53
Mai Hime was originally conceived by "Hajime Yatate", which is a pseduonym for "Random Sunrise Employee Who Didn't Read the Fine Print on the Intellectual Copyright/Nondisclosure Agreement."

No, really.

Mai Otome should be the same, but I am already in position to be corrected.

Many myths surrounding Yatate Hajime exists, but let's keep it simple. Yatate Hajime is a collective pen name used by Sunrise's production staff board for copyrights purposes.

In a way, it's somewhat similar to the usage of "Alan Smithee" in Hollywood movies (once again, bad example provided by me).

Oh, and Kuribayashi Minami (singer of the OP, seiyuu of Suzumiya Haruka in "Kimi ga Nozomu Eien") happens to play a character as Erstin Ho (she will eventually be the roommate of Nina and Arika).

NoSanninWa
2005-10-24, 04:34
I certainly hope that Yatate Hajime is not similar to Alan Smithee.

Alan Smithee is a name used by directors that feel their movie was wrested from their creative control and no longer want anyone to know that they were associated with the movie. Note that according to DGA (Director's Guild of America) rules the name can only be used if they can show that the producers or other involved people stole control of the prodution from the director so that it no longer realizes his vision. If the movie stunk merely because of bad directing, the DGA will not allow them to use the pseudonym.

kj1980
2005-10-24, 19:42
Hoorah, NSW! You are the first person that I know who knows what Alan Smithee means!

Yes, it's highly different from Yatate Hajime's usage. I was making the bad allusion that both are commonly used pseudonyms to denote something in visual production.

Added trivia: Toei was the first company that started using a pseudonym for their staff - they have "Yatsude Saburou" for their series.

Kallewoof
2005-10-24, 21:08
Natsuki, Kuga, Kruger, alter-ego, huhm?

Either I'm deaf, an idiot, or I just slept through the 3 Otome-episodes, but I'm definitely missing something there. I keep seeing references that seem to indicate somewhere that the 3 are (or aren't!) the same.

Kieli
2005-10-24, 21:16

Either I'm deaf, an idiot, or I just slept through the 3 Otome-episodes, but I'm definitely missing something there. I keep seeing references that seem to indicate somewhere that the 3 are (or aren't!) the same.
You're probably seeing people making mistakes.

In Mai HiME, it was Kuga Natsuki. In Mai Otome, it's Kruger Natsuki. You're most probably seeing truncations when others are referring to Natsuki in either form. I can see where it could be confusing.

TBox
2005-10-24, 21:53

I think it depends on your definition of "same," which is turning out to be quite the weasel word. It can range, by context, anywhere from "clone" to "of a kind." IE, from "The President and the Commander in Chief are the same person" to "Those two birds are the same: they're both bluejays."

paTKany
2005-10-27, 07:06
Mai-Otome official site FAQ (http://www.my-zhime.net/outline/keyword.html)
Did i read well? Only the half of the corals can be pearls?

Sageblink
2005-10-27, 11:02

Yes, you did well. 50 Coral, 25 Pearl. That's why there is a classement. (I want to see the Pearl outfit. >_< )

I just understand the hierachy of the Otome student, for their outfit i mean (i said outfit, not Robe...). Not very interesting, but if someone is also wondering...

For the coral, in their costume... hum, on their socks, the got lines of color, as well as the rest of the uniform.

1st coral: green lines (Nina)
2nd coral : purple lines (Tomoe)

1st pearl : white costume with red lines (Akane)
2nd pearl : long black socks (Chie)

All the other Coral got blue lines. The Pearl got blue lines on socks and yellow on the main outfit.

I was wondering since the beginning because of Arika, who got pink lines.
Since there is only 50 student in first years, and as she's the 51th, they need to make a difference between them (and she's one of the main character, also... T_T)

I understand also why Arika is at the 51th place of the classement. Cause she's new. (instead of just being a crap in the manga. -_-')

n1dh0g
2005-10-28, 10:56
I'm not sure if this question has been asked before.
Are there other meisters other than the 5 pillars and do all of them haf special coloured gems like Shizuru which has the amethyst.

Sageblink
2005-10-28, 11:44
I'm not sure if this question has been asked before.
Are there other meisters other than the 5 pillars and do all of them haf special coloured gems like Shizuru which has the amethyst.

AS far as I understand, when you get graduate, you receive your own jewel. SO yeah, there are several other Meinsters.

n1dh0g
2005-10-28, 23:46
Thanks Sageblink.

On another note, was it stated that Fia has the Onyx in the anime?? If it was, when was it stated???

Morisato
2005-10-29, 18:20
Did they change Reito into a girl?

Thanatos-X86A
2005-10-29, 18:57
No they didn't. They turned him into a cyborg like thingy. The girl you mistook for Reito is Chie. Just add glasses and a handphone then you'll know it's her

Takemi_Ikazuchi
2005-10-29, 19:39

Good find, and you are correct. Only half will be promoted.

Otome...

Serious Business..

Edit: And oh, it confirms that all Meister Otomes are titled after jewels

Morisato
2005-10-29, 20:00
So in the MANGA, Mashiro is a guy and in the ANIME, Mashiro is still a girl?

Thanatos-X86A
2005-10-29, 20:23
Precisely.

Well here's an interesting fact for breast size in Mai-Otome:
http://kurogane.animeblogger.net/ima...e/Mobreast.jpg
Surprised that Nina's is on the lvl of Mashiro's =_="

omegastar
2005-11-04, 22:17
Even more interesting, why is Shiho left out from the chart? considering she was the most jealous of the other girls, especially Erstin

Sageblink
2005-11-16, 06:58
Thanks Sageblink.

On another note, was it stated that Fia has the Onyx in the anime?? If it was, when was it stated???

Actually, i didn't see that too. I think i've read somewhere on the forum that Fia was the Otome of the old -3 points on my head-man. But the onyx part is unknow to me

shouki
2005-11-16, 08:39
http://www.my-zhime.net/outline/keyword.html

This has gotten some new entries since I last looked...

One is about "惑星エアル" - Planet Earl, where the story is set. (The "earl" bit is a guess).

Basically, in the future humanity goes through a collonisation phase and this planet is among the inhabitable ones found. However, only a small amount of the surface area is inhabitable - about the size of Europe. The political situation is somewhat similar to middle ages Europe too. Anyway, technology is somewhat going backwards these days, so there is a mix of old super-technology and more recent but less advanced technology.

shouki
2005-11-16, 09:19
Another new entry is about the Kingdom of Windbloom, ruler Mashiro. Doesn't seem to be especially unusual except the first school(s) on Planet Earl was setup there. Though there's modern technology around, on a social/political level it is more like country in Europe in the middle ages (monarchy etc).

Garderobe is actually not part of Windbloom - it is part of the "ビューネ自治区" - the "Buhne autonomous region", basically a small country. ("Buhne" is a guess). Natsuki is the "first lady" of it, as well as school head.

The "審議会" (inquiry commission) that we see in eps 2-3 that Natsuki heads helps regulate the students - enrollment, reporting, promotion, graduation etc. Has a representative from each nation and they normally meet at fixed intervals. (Also seems to help out the political situation)

paTKany
2005-11-16, 10:12
Actually, i didn't see that too. I think i've read somewhere on the forum that Fia was the Otome of the old -3 points on my head-man. But the onyx part is unknow to me

During episode 3 when she entered with her master (Emperor Argos) into the ceremonial hall, the usher called her "Kenrei no Shimamenou Fia Gros-sama".
shimamenou=onyx

Sageblink
2005-11-16, 10:52
During episode 3 when she entered with her master (Emperor Argos) into the ceremonial hall, the usher called her "Kenrei no Shimamenou Fia Gros-sama".
shimamenou=onyx

Thanks paTKany

GEM question :
How could a Gem know that it's a royalty who kiss "her" and not a modest person?
Mashiro has been ... "introduce" has the queen. But if she's not the real one, how could the Gem get activated?
Laibeus Lord
2005-11-19, 20:56
Thanks paTKany

GEM question :
How could a Gem know that it's a royalty who kiss "her" and not a modest person?
Mashiro has been ... "introduce" has the queen. But if she's not the real one, how could the Gem get activated?

after watching ep7.. my theory
First off, the story can be based from Mai HiME but was twist here and there so as not to make it redundant.

"The King's Otome was retreating during the attack." Which was referring to the "Blue Jewel of Heaven" who lost her Otome abilities.
We all know that the only way to lose the ability is if you get married and well have intercourse. The Blue Jewel of Heaven lost her ability, put the two jewels (the Otome Jewel and the Royal Jewel [both blue]) into a pendant and wore it to the "Real Princess".

So more likely Mashiro isn't the real princess at all but it's Arika. I am thinking that the Wife of the King died and gave them no children and the King and his Otome fell in-love and the Blue Jewel of Heaven gave birth to Arika.

Remember the other picture of the King with his Otome in full armour in episode 7?

Now that's Theory #1.
Theory #2 would be that the Blue Jewel got married with someone and gave birth to Arika.
The Queen, the wife of the Blue Jewel's master, also gave birth which "might" be Mashiro.
Now, I don't know why the Blue Jewel will save her child before the King's but I guess that's a motherly instict.

Oh btw, for sure, Arika's mother is the Blue Jewel of Heaven coz during episode 1, while the baby's under the bridge, the Blue Jewel was still able to use at least a bit of the Jewels' power (the Otome Jewel and the Master's Jewel) which are in the pendant the baby's wearing. Assuming the baby in episode 1 is Arika. But I think she is that baby coz in episode 7 she was able to remove the two jewels. The Otome Jewel fits in her earring while the Master's Jewel fits in the Queen's Ring.

Another thing, tho not related....

Additionally there's an organ (called Harmonium) in the basement which houses some sort of great power. They have to combine the [1] "Singer's melody", [2] "the organ's player", [3] "the protector's charm", to use the power of the Harmonium.

The Singer's melody would me Mashiro. The Protector's Charm would be Arika. The Organ's player, we still have to know. SPecial note here, there are 3 seats in the organ so there must be 3 players. I don't remember if there's somethign similar in this matter with Mai HiME or if this is unique to Oto-HiME.

Those are my assumptions so far, since the latest is ep7.

Sageblink
2005-11-19, 22:18
"The King's Otome was retreating during the attack." Which was referring to the "Blue Jewel of Heaven" who lost her Otome abilities.
We all know that the only way to lose the ability is if you get married and well have intercourse. The Blue Jewel of Heaven lost her ability, put the two jewels (the Otome Jewel and the Royal Jewel [both blue]) into a pendant and wore it to the "Real Princess".

So more likely Mashiro isn't the real princess at all but it's Arika. I am thinking that the Wife of the King died and gave them no children and the King and his Otome fell in-love and the Blue Jewel of Heaven gave birth to Arika.

Remember the other picture of the King with his Otome in full armour in episode 7?

Now that's Theory #1.
Theory #2 would be that the Blue Jewel got married with someone and gave birth to Arika.
The Queen, the wife of the Blue Jewel's master, also gave birth which "might" be Mashiro.
Now, I don't know why the Blue Jewel will save her child before the King's but I guess that's a motherly instict.

Oh btw, for sure, Arika's mother is the Blue Jewel of Heaven coz during episode 1, while the baby's under the bridge, the Blue Jewel was still able to use at least a bit of the Jewels' power (the Otome Jewel and the Master's Jewel) which are in the pendant the baby's wearing. Assuming the baby in episode 1 is Arika. But I think she is that baby coz in episode 7 she was able to remove the two jewels. The Otome Jewel fits in her earring while the Master's Jewel fits in the Queen's Ring.

Interesting. But don't forget that we don't know who are Nina's real parents. Sunrise based is serie on that. An orphan-girl, a "maybe" fake princess ans a girl with no past. The three could be the princess though.

But, isn't episode 7 affirming that Mashiro was choose to replace the princess?

dgb001
2005-11-20, 23:19
is it me or is the manga of MO very different then the TV version? I was reading up to the 14th issue of the manga and it's nothing like the TV I know why's that?

NoSanninWa
2005-11-20, 23:31
is it me or is the manga of MO very different then the TV version? I was reading up to the 14th issue of the manga and it's nothing like the TV I know why's that?

If you had read the first post of the FAQ thread, you'd have seen that the first question in the first post was this:

Question: What is the connection between the My Otome manga and anime?

Answer: Very little. While the My Otome anime is inspired by the manga and uses the same character designs, there are already differences cropping up in episode 1. Please don't expect the anime to follow the manga at all, or else you're bound to get confused.

RiderFaiz
2005-11-21, 03:35
Dunno if this is the right place to ask but where could I get the Mai Otome manga from? I have been trying to look around for it without success. Thanks in advance.

lone_wolf
2005-11-21, 04:56

It was intentionally done that way. The Mai Hime manga also took a different path from the anime version.

--Lone Wolf

kismis
2005-11-27, 00:14
can someone clear this up.. a meistar is an otome who's duty is to protect royalty from different countries, right? and is shizuru a meistar? is she protecting natsumi? but natsumi isnt royalty...right?

also, what is a pillar? is it the same thing as a meistar?

sorry for being so dense >.<

lone_wolf
2005-11-27, 01:37
can someone clear this up.. a meistar is an otome who's duty is to protect royalty from different countries, right? and is shizuru a meistar? is she protecting natsumi? but natsumi isnt royalty...right?

also, what is a pillar? is it the same thing as a meistar?

Natsuki is *not* Shizuru's Master so Shizuru is not bound to Natsuki as a Meister. She however, is aiding Natsuki out of her own freewill as her profile has explained in many magazine scans.

Shizuru and Natsuki are confirmed Pillars There are a total of 5 Pillars and these are considered the highest level Otome. They don't have Masters yet they have pledged themselves to a higher Deity....which is mostly likely Fumi since it's her initials that show up on Shizuru's Gem when she's activating her Robe.

Hope that helps.

--Lone Wolf

n1dh0g
2005-11-27, 04:49
Are Yukariko and the other teachers in Garderobe Meisters???

lone_wolf
2005-11-27, 05:03
Are Yukariko and the other teachers in Garderobe Meisters???

Well Yukariko definitely is one, otherwise she wouldn't be able to activate the robe that she wears.

Garderobe graduates have been speculated to teach at the school.

--Lone Wolf

BlackCatXIII
2005-11-27, 07:58
Since i saw episode 8 i'v been wandering ......how many maister otome can a singel ruler have?.....seeing that in Miss Maria's flash back we see at least 8 on one side and 7 on the other and only 2 distinct flags......also since the white haired otome with the buterfly shaped axe is probebly Miss Maria ...does this mean that she has a master (she defently has a robe .... the maister jewl can be seen clearly when she talks with Arika).............Sory for geting caried away .... and making such a long question

Matrim
2005-11-27, 10:04
Since i saw episode 8 i'v been wandering ......how many maister otome can a singel ruler have?.....seeing that in Miss Maria's flash back we see at least 8 on one side and 7 on the other and only 2 distinct flags......also since the white haired otome with the buterfly shaped axe is probebly Miss Maria ...does this mean that she has a master (she defently has a robe .... the maister jewl can be seen clearly when she talks with Arika).............Sory for geting caried away .... and making such a long question

Maria mentioned that at the time the Otome academy allowed too many students to go fight, without having the necessary skills and being far from the level of the real Meisters. So I guess the number of Otomes a single ruler commands is rather low in peace time but if a war breaks out every student from the countries involved, Meister or not is summoned to help.

Thanatos-X86A
2005-11-27, 10:50
My friend came up with a theory that not only the rulers would be able to have an otome. In a Kingdom there are nobles and high ranking military officers. Why don't they have their own otome during times of war?

Biswa
2005-11-27, 21:59
Ehh, yes, this is a basic, stupid, and biased question in many ways, but hopefully it is simple. Is it true that there Mai is not in this series (as of yet)? I think it is rather strange to have the name "Mai" in the show without Mai in it at all.
i apologize before hand.

lone_wolf
2005-11-27, 22:22
Ehh, yes, this is a basic, stupid, and biased question in many ways, but hopefully it is simple. Is it true that there Mai is not in this series (as of yet)? I think it is rather strange to have the name "Mai" in the show without Mai in it at all.
i apologize before hand.

Do a search on this forum and you'll encounter threads that confirm Mai will be in the series. Once again, if you need proof, please look at the character designer's homepage at www.dendoh.com.

If you look at his BBS in the OCtober section, you'll find his confirmation of Mai being in the series.

--Lone Wolf

kur0gan3
2005-11-27, 23:48
My friend came up with a theory that not only the rulers would be able to have an otome. In a Kingdom there are nobles and high ranking military officers. Why don't they have their own otome during times of war?

A little addition here, well, I was the one who came out with the theory .

We've learned that not all the Corals can become Pearls who won't all become Meisters, so what happens to the failed ones?

I speculate that even if they don't succeed into graduating as Meisters, the failed Otomes still are too valuable to dispose off and most likely they'll enter service for the lower ranking nobles and other semi-VIP's for each country.

Training an Otome is probably a big investment, with all the lessons in Garderobe and implanting nanomachines, so I don't think any rulers would want to waste them.

A good example of this would ancient Chinese emperor's concubine system. They pick the eligible girls from each district around the country and send them to the capital for a weeding out process. The best ones would serve the emperor, and the ones not chosen are still assigned to the government officials.

n1dh0g
2005-11-29, 23:06
I was wondering when the Otomes graduate as Meisters can they choose which master they want to protect or are they assigned to their masters?

shouki
2005-11-30, 08:11
I was wondering when the Otomes graduate as Meisters can they choose which master they want to protect or are they assigned to their masters?

Based on what Sergay says in ep 7, it's the Otome's choice.

Most Otome would chose to serve someone from their home country, it seems.

n1dh0g
2005-12-01, 01:11
Thanks Shouki.

I have another question. What happens to the Otome's gem when they are defeated? Are those gems buried together with the Otomes or are they being passed on to other Otomes like how Arika has Rena's gem???

Diodati
2005-12-01, 11:24
Well Rena was able to pass on her GEM on her own accord so she's a special case.
My idea is that if you die wearing it, then either the GEM disintegrates/shatters (like we saw happen to the Slave and 'their jewel' in ep 7), or it simply stays with the Otome into death. But also, are defeated Otomes buried or do they go green sparklies too....

Andy00
2005-12-01, 11:42
Since the crystal pillar graves in the basement of the Forbidden Library/Fumi's Grave don't have any bodies, I'm guessing they vanish into sparklies.

Pleroma
2005-12-01, 13:16
The bodies could well be below the pillars or they could just be there as monuments.

n1dh0g
2005-12-06, 05:51
Do the Otomes get the choice to become pillars or are pillars chosen???

Who are Yukariko and the other instructor's master? Is it the school?

Another question, can Pearls activate their robes themselves or do they also need permission to activate it?

ArchDragon
2005-12-07, 19:35

Do the Otomes get the choice to become pillars or are pillars chosen???

Most likely chosen by the current headmaster, since Natsuki said something that implied that she "made Shizuru return" to Galderobe as one of the pillars.

Who are Yukariko and the other instructor's master? Is it the school?

Most likely Fumi Himeno, just like Shizuru.

Another question, can Pearls activate their robes themselves or do they also need permission to activate it?

No, otherwise Shiho could've freed herself from that tentacle monster's grasb.

Kieli
2005-12-07, 19:41

I'm not entirely sure that's true since Nao was able to activate her Robe somehow in order to free ShihoHime. I'm not sure a teacher would've known that quickly about her predicament so it seems apparent that the Pearls are able to activate their robes without Meister intervention.

lone_wolf
2005-12-07, 20:05

Actually, they haven't shown how any of the Pearls (especially the Trias) activate theiry robes so that can't be confirmed at this point.

So far the only piece of information we know (regarding robe activation) from the episodes that have aired is that:

1. Shizuru is able to activate her robe on her own.
2. Nina and Arika had their robes activated by either nobility or anyone in high level of authority (Like Natsuki for example).

Haruka's status is unknown still since we were thrown for a loop with that particular Bandai ad, though one poster on another forum did provide an image that Haruka and Yukino sported the same GEM. Her situation is rather confusing and I hope that issue is addressed within the next few episodes.

Then there's Arika who hasn't nullified her contract with Mashiro. Assuming the gems are still in her custody, does she still need the kiss of her master to activate her Meister robe?

Anyway, these questions have been asked many times....but we won't get a confirmed answer until it actually appears in an episode.

--Lone Wolf

Diodati
2005-12-07, 20:15
Hmm everything to do with robes is giving me a headache - I hope Sunrise aren't going to make this too convoluted.

Most likely chosen by the current headmaster, since Natsuki said something that implied that she "made Shizuru return" to Galderobe as one of the pillars.
Hmmm I never got the impression Natsuki 'made' Shizuru: Natsuki talks about not finding 'her' from 14 years ago (I presume the princess) and says ''that's why I had you return'' - taken in the scene; Natsuki is pacing around clearly agitated, and Shizuru is right-as-rain with her tea. It comes across as 'sorry Shiz, I know you were off somewhere, I requested you back because I really need you to help me out with Schwarz' etc. That Natsuki justifies her reasoning implies she has no authority over Shizuru personally - even Shizuru's response is one of agreeing with Natsuki's decision: ''well it is our job as the Pillars to protect Garderobe''

Most admin aspects of Garderobe is going to be down to Natsuki, but I sincerely doubt she was the one to choose who the Pillars are. It's possible Shizuru may have become one before Natsuki, being that she's older. But that too is speculation - overall, everything to do with the Pillars is still pretty unknown.

lone_wolf
2005-12-07, 20:25
Hmm everything to do with robes is giving me a headache - I hope Sunrise aren't going to make this too convoluted.

Hmmm I never got the impression Natsuki 'made' Shizuru: Natsuki talks about not finding 'her' from 14 years ago (I presume the princess) and says ''that's why I had you return'' - taken in the scene; Natsuki is pacing around clearly agitated, and Shizuru is right-as-rain with her tea. It comes across as 'sorry Shiz, I know you were off somewhere,and I requested you back because I really need you to help me out with Schwarz' etc. That Natsuki justifies her reasoning implies she has no authority of Shizuru personally - even Shizuru's response is one of comforting Natsuki's decision: ''well it is our job as the Pillars to protect Garderobe''

Most admin aspects of Garderobe is going to be down to Natsuki, but I sincerely doubt she was the one to choose who the Pillars are. It's possible Shizuru may have become one before Natsuki, being that she's older. But that too is speculation - overall, everything to do with the Pillars is still pretty unknown.

Yes! That's exactly how I saw it too! Shizuru's quote that you mentioned implies that she's been at Garderobe all this time...I mean, yeah, she could have been doing a small errand or something, regardless she was still part of the faculty for quite some time now.

It never mentioned that she was (how some other's speculated) off in some far away land and was asked to come back to the campus to assist. And as far as Shizuru being made Pillar, isn't or wasn't she technically Natsuki's sempai? Doesn't this imply that she reached her status before Natsuki?

--Lone Wolf

ArchDragon
2005-12-07, 20:35
I'm not entirely sure that's true since Nao was able to activate her Robe somehow in order to free ShihoHime. I'm not sure a teacher would've known that quickly about her predicament so it seems apparent that the Pearls are able to activate their robes without Meister intervention.
Well, Nina told Irina to notify a teacher about the situation.
It's possible that said teacher (Miss Maria) authorized Nao to activate her robe, and to went ahead of her.

As for Meisters, I'm sure they can activate their robe on their own once they made a contract.
Otherwise they can't be sent abroad to fight a war.

Kieli
2005-12-07, 20:48
As for Meisters, I'm sure they can activate their robe on their own once they made a contract.
Otherwise they can't be sent abroad to fight a war.

Apparently they don't necessarily need to make a contract for that to happen, unless you count the status of some Meisters as Pillars with a "contract" to their Shinso. I would think that, once you've attained Meister status, you could still activate your robe even without having made a contract. But since those details have not quite been revealed yet in the show, it's all speculation.

Diodati
2005-12-07, 21:03
Shizuru's quote that you mentioned implies that she's been at Garderobe all this time...I mean, yeah, she could have been doing a small errand or something, regardless she was still part of the faculty for quite some time now.

Another piece of evidence that makes it OBVIOUS that Shizuru is a part of Garderobe in some sense, is the pupils response to her. Arika sees Shizuru on TV, and Nina speaks of her with relative familiarity. If Shizuru was a comparative stranger (or just famously known) then I doubt the pupils could have discussed her with the same sort of familiarity either. ''Well y'know Shizuru-oneesama can really fight'', ''We thought you knew Shizuru-oneesama'' etc. I now also judge Tomoe's ''look'' in ep.3 to be one of ''omg, she's come back - super yay''. (Bless )

If she was continually away, or from somewhere else, then I doubt Shizuru would be 'known'/discussed by name, let alone loved by the pupils at Garderobe.

That said, I don't know if all Pillars necessarily have to be around Garderobe all the time - if Haruka is indeed one, then she may come back when 'asked' - obviously - unless you're psychic you might need to be asked.

And as far as Shizuru being made Pillar, isn't or wasn't she technically Natsuki's sempai? Doesn't this imply that she reached her status before Natsuki?

I think she'd certainly have graduated before Natsuki....heee, Natsuki seemed thrilled being reminded of her darling sempai coming to her rescue (even though, technically, this is what she requests in ep.1) Interesting to wonder how/why Natsuki became Principal.

It's possible that said teacher (Miss Maria) authorized Nao to activate her robe, and to went ahead of her.
The timespan was so small though - it seemed constructed to suggest Nao herself 'knew' her little soldiers were in danger (heh) and flew in. I saw it as Nao being able to activate her robe herself, but perhaps that doesn't make overall sense....

I would think that, once you've attained Meister status, you could still activate your robe even without having made a contract. But since those details have not quite been revealed yet in the show, it's all speculation.
Crazy theory: maybe once you've attained meister status and if you don't have a master, then in general, you have Fumi as one...I know that ruins the ''Pillars only'' thing, but that way your life isn't contracted, but you still have the necessary 'master' relationship for the robe to work.

Wah I dunno, the show makes me want to weep blood.

coefficientX
2005-12-08, 01:55
Imagine Irina running down and shouting for sensei about the monster. Everyone could have heard her shouts. Anyway I'm thinking maybe Nao is coincidentally having performance class at that time and happened to hear Irina shouting. From episode 4 we know that Shiho & Nao ain't in the same class or else we would have saw her in the bathroom.

Crazy theory: maybe once you've attained meister status and if you don't have a master, then in general, you have Fumi as one...I know that ruins the ''Pillars only'' thing, but that way your life isn't contracted, but you still have the necessary 'master' relationship for the robe to work.Hmmm yeah perhaps. And that does not neccessary ruin the "Pillar only" thingy. It'll make sense if all otome serving Garderobe has their master as Fumi.

Last edited by Catgirls; 2005-12-17 at 13:55. Reason: Recovered content worked in.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-18, 18:19   Link #3
Mich666

Very useful FAQ at Wikipedia ~_^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mai-Otome
Mich666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-18, 20:44   Link #4
Gage

There are some facts about Mai on that Wiki link I don't remember from the series...

Spoiler:

Did I totally miss something, or are people mixing up info from the Anime and Manga? Only thing I remember about Mai from Otome was a poster in the store where Arika's clothes were sold.
Gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-18, 20:57   Link #5
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage
There are some facts about Mai on that Wiki link I don't remember from the series...

Spoiler:

Did I totally miss something, or are people mixing up info from the Anime and Manga? Only thing I remember about Mai from Otome was a poster in the store where Arika's clothes were sold.

The information in Wikipedia is brought to readers by numerous people. Just about anyone can enter information on that site just like IMDB. Some of the stuff you see can be taken with a grain of salt.

--Lone Wolf
lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-18, 20:59   Link #6
Gage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf
The information in Wikipedia is brought to readers by numerous people. Just about anyone can enter information on that site just like IMDB. Some of the stuff you see can be taken with a grain of salt.
Yeah, I know, but I was wondering if there was something I had totally missed (a spoiler from somewhere, previews from Anime magazines, ect..) because that is pretty specific information, and the rest of it seems so well thought out that anyone who wrote the rest of that wouldn't let something that is blatently wrong or unknowable stay there.
Old 2005-12-18, 21:04   Link #7
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Yeah, I know, but I was wondering if there was something I had totally missed (a spoiler from somewhere, previews from Anime magazines, ect..) because that is pretty specific information, and the rest of it seems so well thought out that anyone who wrote the rest of that wouldn't let something that is blatently wrong or unknowable stay there.

Well, as far as "Mai Otome", the "her" that she keeps referring is what people are speculating to be Mai.

She brings "her" up numerous times including in ep 9. Can't remember which episode but it was the episode where Natsuki and Shizuru along with Maria talk about Natsuki's Rival...we also learn in that episode that this person was her roommate as well.

It could very well be Mai but then again, it's like Wikipedia mentioned....*speculation*.

--Lone Wolf
Old 2005-12-18, 21:07   Link #8
Gage

Ahh! Now I know what you're talking about. I had really thought they were talking about Arika's mother there, but I can see how that could be Mai as well. Ok, that makes sense.
Old 2005-12-18, 21:56   Link #9
PastPrime

Quote:
Ahh! Now I know what you're talking about. I had really thought they were talking about Arika's mother there, but I can see how that could be Mai as well. Ok, that makes sense.
Rena would have been at least as old as Shizuru and Natsuki are now when the "accident" happened 14 years ago, so it would not have been her.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 18:53   Link #10
Redeem
Iron Spidey

I have some doubts...

1- How many babies were!?

What I understood was that there were two babies, the daughter of the King and Queen, and the baby of the Sapphire of Azure Sky' Otome

2- Is Gakutenou a slave!? And if it is, Why is he summon different to the other slaves!?
Redeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 19:02   Link #11
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeem
I have some doubts...

1- How many babies were!?

What I understood was that there were two babies, the daughter of the King and Queen, and the baby of the Sapphire of Azure Sky' Otome

There are three babies. Nina Mashiro and Arika all have the same birthday. It's speculated by everyone in Mai Otome that Mashiro may *not* be the true Princess.

--Lone Wolf
Old 2005-12-23, 10:39   Link #12
Preston
I am the lies in you.
*Author

Ok, not sure if this is correct thread, but I didn't want to create one myself, so..

http://www.my-zhime.net/event

Top option in the toolbar to the left, and, uhh.. can anyone explain what exactly this is, and what is going on..?
Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 11:33   Link #13
SpeedRcrX
Ba~bu~!

From what I understand, it's a trivia.
You can win CDs, Posters, PC fan kit (wallpaper, icons...) a box of the lastest cardass...
SpeedRcrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 12:17   Link #14
Preston
I am the lies in you.
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedRcrX
...PC fan kit (wallpaper, icons...)...
Sweet, now, if anyone was to get that, you would share right?
Old 2005-12-23, 16:13   Link #15
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston
Sweet, now, if anyone was to get that, you would share right?

Well the poll that's going on right now is the "choose your best partner" poll. Once you click the button to vote a seperate window will pop up and you'll select one character and the second selection is where you would choose your favorite oneesama to be partnered with the character of your choice.

Unlike the Mai Hime polls from last time, you can only vote once a day for the Otome polls. I was lucky enough to use all three servers at work to vote 3 times and than when I get back home I vote another 3 times using different WiFi networks....so basically if you want to vote more than once, just make sure to use a different IP address each time

So hurry up and vote since this poll will be expired on the 24th of this month. The winning pair will be announced on the 10th of January....and then on to the next poll.

--Lone Wolf
Old 2005-12-23, 16:28   Link #16
Preston
I am the lies in you.
*Author

I've been voting in the poll for days now. Hmm, you cheater! Not.. that.. eh.. forget it.. the wonders of the IP Re-routing firewall.. now if only I could dig that baby up again..
Old 2005-12-23, 16:37   Link #17
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston
I've been voting in the poll for days now. Hmm, you cheater! Not.. that.. eh.. forget it.. the wonders of the IP Re-routing firewall.. now if only I could dig that baby up again..

Cheating? I suppose....

but nothing beats being able to vote 6 times a day. When you want something, you gotta work at it I also have an account with T-mobile WiFi so I could just go to Starbucks and vote as well.

--Lone Wolf
Old 2005-12-23, 17:36   Link #18
MakotoFatora
Yes

Send a message via AIM to MakotoFatora
Jeeeeeez....and everyone complained when the Midori fans ganged up and started spamming on the votes for everyone's favorite 17-year-old in the previous HiME poll....

time to go break out my script again, where'd I put that MidoriShallPwnYouAllWithJustice.pl again...hmm...
Old 2005-12-23, 17:38   Link #19
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakotoFatora
Jeeeeeez....and everyone complained when the Midori fans ganged up and started spamming on the votes for everyone's favorite 17-year-old in the previous HiME poll....

time to go break out my script again, where'd I put that MidoriShallPwnYouAllWithJustice.pl again...hmm...

Who's everyone?

Anyway, sometimes, you gotta be ruthless to get what you want in life, right?

--Lone Wolf
Old 2005-12-23, 17:55   Link #20
SpeedRcrX
Ba~bu~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf
Who's everyone?

Anyway, sometimes, you gotta be ruthless to get what you want in life, right?

--Lone Wolf
Damn right, Lone !!!
I manage around 350 PCs, when I get the chance (no often...) I make a vote on the PC I'm reparing ^^
SpeedRcrX is offline   Reply With Quote