AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Who were your favorite characters? Multiple choice allowed!
Suzumiya Haruhi 625 64.77%
Kyon 587 60.83%
Nagato Yuki 569 58.96%
Asahina Mikuru 289 29.95%
Asakura Ryoko 159 16.48%
Koizumi Itsuki 175 18.13%
Kyon's Sister 145 15.03%
Kunikida 22 2.28%
Taniguchi 43 4.46%
Tsuruya 317 32.85%
Kimidori Emiri 37 3.83%
The ENOZ Girls 89 9.22%
Shamisen (the cat) 105 10.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 965. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-12, 13:29   Link #281
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Guy getting that close to Godzilla's mouth = guy being eaten by Godzilla.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-04-12, 13:43   Link #282
xxBANGitsaly
Rabid Fangirl

wheres the asakura love guys? 129 votes?

anyways, voted yuki and asakura. i love all the characters from shny but those two were the ones i loved the most.

...perhaps i have some sort of thing for aliens.

signature by the talented risa-chan
Old 2009-04-12, 17:19   Link #283
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Yeah. I wasn't quite happy with the level of attention that seems to get shifted away from Haruhi in the later books. My fear for the new season is that they've already used up most of the Haruhi centric plot lines, so we'll end up having the focus everywhere else.
She does get Wandering Shadow though, and the ending of Intrigues is all hers. Vol. 10 will probably have a lot of focus on her too... if it ever comes out.

It's not as bad as I make it out to be. We won't be getting much Haruhi-centric stuff in S2 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I'm pretty sure they never got Godzilla to not destroy Tokyo by having some guy liplock him.
Thank you for that.
Old 2009-04-12, 17:34   Link #284
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The analogy would work better with Gamera than Godzilla (friend of children and all that).

And while the plotlines seem to focus away from Haruhi, all actions/resolutions seems to be based on her for one reason or another. Each one reenforces Haruhi with Kyon in some way or another even if Yuki or Mikuru have the majority of the attention in the story.

Won't stop me from liking Yuki more than Haruhi, but I don't see any real shipper cases being realistic aside from Haruhi and Kyon unless there is a massive shift in the little details in future novels.
Old 2009-04-13, 00:46   Link #285
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
We won't be getting much Haruhi-centric stuff in S2 though.
Well given the fact that the main story of "S2" is The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, I'd say that's rather fitting
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-04-13, 00:54   Link #286
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Well given the fact that the main story of "S2" is The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, I'd say that's rather fitting
Indeed.
Old 2009-04-18, 03:41   Link #287
Woodchips
つかれた!

Voted for Haruhi, Kyon and Tsuruya.

Haruhi: Conniving, vindictive, impulsive, egocentric and ultra-moody. Haruhi is both the protagonist and anti-hero all in one.

Kyon: Love the snark, the rapid-fire internal commentary and his interactions with Haruhi.

Tsuruya: Bubbly, eccentric with a speech impediment. Fav for being so vary different from the rest of the cast.
Old 2009-04-18, 03:50   Link #288
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchips View Post
Haruhi: Conniving, vindictive, impulsive, egocentric and ultra-moody. Haruhi is both the protagonist and anti-hero all in one.
I don't know why people still think this.

Everything important happens to Kyon, not her. She's just a catalyst and a foil to Kyon.
Old 2009-04-18, 04:02   Link #289
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Because she's the title character and present for most of the stories people who haven't read the novels are familiar with. You have to remember that not everyone has actually went out of their way to do that
Old 2009-04-18, 04:28   Link #290
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Because she's the title character and present for most of the stories people who haven't read the novels are familiar with. You have to remember that not everyone has actually went out of their way to do that
I know, but, not even that.

Kyon is the focal character for the entire story, is the male lead, and is honestly more plot important than Haruhi is. You can tell this just from watching the series, particularly the central Melancholy arc.
Old 2009-04-18, 05:42   Link #291
Woodchips
つかれた!

Quote:
I don't know why people still think this.

Everything important happens to Kyon, not her. She's just a catalyst and a foil to Kyon.
If we're going to be picky then switch protagonist to deuteragonist.
Old 2009-04-18, 05:44   Link #292
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
If we're going to be picky then switch protagonist to deuteragonist.
I actually had to look that up.

Why not just "major character"?
Old 2009-04-18, 05:51   Link #293
Woodchips
つかれた!

Quote:
I actually had to look that up.

Why not just "major character"?
Because you were objecting to the literary term. I was trying to simplify things. Technically Haruhi could also be called the antagonist, too.
Old 2009-04-18, 05:55   Link #294
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Because you were objecting to the literary term. I was trying to simplify things. Technically Haruhi could also be called the antagonist, too.
To an extent, yeah, but she's not actively malicious (other than her molestation of Mikuru, which is supposed to be funny, a fact that many people seem to miss) or acting against Kyon's interests.

I'd prefer to call her a catalyst.

The real antagonists start to show up in the later books. I'd suggest you read them, as they are awesome.
Old 2009-04-18, 05:58   Link #295
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Yea Haruhi is both the protagonist and antagonist as I mentioned earlier and is why I related her to Godzilla.

I don't see her as Gamera though, she doesn't make friends with people, not to say children.

The SOS-dan are her friends, but she calls them subordinates and were all abducted by her lol

@Kaisos who ninja'd me:

That is when Haruhi transfer to protagonist and its like Godzilla vs Space Godzilla.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-04-18, 06:07   Link #296
Woodchips
つかれた!

Quote:
To an extent, yeah, but she's not actively malicious (other than her molestation of Mikuru, which is supposed to be funny, a fact that many people seem to miss) or acting against Kyon's interests.
Never said she was malicious, just that she is technically the antagonist in the anime series that we've seen thus far.

Haruhi is always acting against Kyon's interests in the anime series. That's what the first season is all about. Just because she doesn't fill the traditional role of antagonist = villain, doesn't make her any less of an antagonist.

I've been restraining myself from reading the novels because I don't want the anime to have less impact. Once the series is complete, I will go back and read them with pleasure. For the meantime, I will remain spoiler free.
Old 2009-04-18, 06:14   Link #297
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Haruhi is always acting against Kyon's interests in the anime series. That's what the first season is all about. Just because she doesn't fill the traditional role of antagonist = villain, doesn't make her any less of an antagonist.
This depends on what you interpret Kyon's interests as. I'd say that he's gotten what he's always really wanted, just that he doesn't see it, not yet.

Quote:
I've been restraining myself from reading the novels because I don't want the anime to have less impact. Once the series is complete, I will go back and read them with pleasure. For the meantime, I will remain spoiler free.
quigonkenny had a great post about that in the second season thread, but I'm too lazy to go find it so I'll just restate what he said here.

Trust me, reading the novels beforehand will not lessen the impact of the anime any. The anime is basically the exact same as the novels, and what it changes it usually improves.

It's not that kind of adaptation, simply put.
Old 2009-04-19, 02:32   Link #298
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Tsuruya

The true star of the show!
Old 2009-04-28, 19:52   Link #299
Seitsuki
Onee!

nuu how can our yuki be losing to kyon??
and yah i cast the token vote for haruhi sama as well
Old 2009-04-28, 20:47   Link #300
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

It's only nine votes, and Kyon's the freaking main character. Besides, I consider the Great Goddess being the highest ranking non-central, non-title character a huge achievement.
Closed Thread