AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 0 0%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 9 19.57%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 32.61%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 36.96%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 8.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-02-28, 17:04   Link #41
Eater of All
NOM

Oh man, I gotta side with Kuroko for this one. It's surprising how Uiharu can even explode towards someone she'd been working with for past few years; I thought she'd know Kuroko pretty well by now.

And since Haruue receives telepathic signals without fail everytime there's a Poltergeist incident, does that imply her partner is the one messing with the AIM fields?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
Anyway, I support the opinion that Railgun is the better of the two. Not only is Mikoto a lot more compelling a character than Index ever was in my opinion, but there's some actual continuity in the storytelling instead of being broken into discrete chunks that don't really relate to each other.
Index was enjoyable to me for all of its technobabble (however nonsensical they turn out to be ) and general flashiness, but I agree that having continuity between arcs already makes Railgun much better in terms of storytelling. It also helps to see main characters getting developed instead of disappearing for 70% of the series.
Old 2010-02-28, 17:08   Link #42
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Oh man, I gotta side with Kuroko for this one. It's surprising how Uiharu can even explode towards someone she'd been working with for past few years; I thought she'd know Kuroko pretty well by now.
I'm sure that will come up, but Erii is definitely important to Uiharu, and Uiharu has never had the oppurtunity to the 'big sister' type to anyone, and she clearly wants to. You already know that obviously, but my point is that I don't think this is a situation Kuroko and Uiharu have been in before, nor do I think they've been in any similar situation so naturally there would be complications.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 17:48   Link #43
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I haven't watched the episode yet, but I think Kuroko has crossed the line in being too blunt to others. First time someone reacted on her bad side.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 17:48   Link #44
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco
there's some actual continuity in the storytelling instead of being broken into discrete chunks that don't really relate to each other.
Its convergence, when actions from the past become relevant in the future(Vol.2->Vol.7-->Vol.11-->Vol.13 and so Vol.3-->Vol.5-->Vol.8-->Vol.13), yeah, I know, not many knows of this.

Quote:
It also helps to see main characters getting developed instead of disappearing for 70% of the series.
If they dissapear then they aren't main characters, just support/side characters.
BTW, I wonder what kind of concept pf "development" have the people in mind, far I have seen its just slice of life doing things that would make any day, you can skip them and the characters would be the same.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 18:34   Link #45
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I'm sure that will come up, but Erii is definitely important to Uiharu, and Uiharu has never had the oppurtunity to the 'big sister' type to anyone, and she clearly wants to. You already know that obviously, but my point is that I don't think this is a situation Kuroko and Uiharu have been in before, nor do I think they've been in any similar situation so naturally there would be complications.
Such a conflict can serve to strengthen their bond, I guess. Uiharu's blind support for Haruue against her friends still annoys the heck out of me though, especially given that she barely met the girl less than a month ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
If they dissapear then they aren't main characters, just support/side characters.
BTW, I wonder what kind of concept pf "development" have the people in mind, far I have seen its just slice of life doing things that would make any day, you can skip them and the characters would be the same.
I know this is rehashed alot, but the least Index can do is give its title character more screentime than an average antagonist of an arc. Splitting the story into distinct arcs means we're stuck with Touma as the only reoccurring character of the whole series, and there's only so much one character can do before it starts to get tedious.
As for development thing, I assume nowadays it's more used as "fleshing out a character" rather than solely "having characters undergo changes." Your aforementioned slice of life stuff fits the bill for the former, and looking back at the end of the Level Upper arc, you can see that Saten and Mikoto also changed a fair bit as well.
Old 2010-02-28, 22:01   Link #46
babohtea

Quote:
Its convergence, when actions from the past become relevant in the future(Vol.2->Vol.7-->Vol.11-->Vol.13 and so Vol.3-->Vol.5-->Vol.8-->Vol.13), yeah, I know, not many knows of this.

Development = characters changing by themselves in some way or another.

For instance, suddenly finding 100 million dollars is not development, but deciding that money is not happiness is. A character finding a new ability is not development, but suddenly realizing that people with lesser talent are not necessarily trash is.

Also, that kind of continuity is fine, but it could be easily be written better to have all of the arcs connect, from the get-go.
babohtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 22:10   Link #47
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I love how they stack any adult females to make up for our heroines lack there of.
Old 2010-02-28, 22:20   Link #48
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Law of Conservation of Mammary Volume.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2010-02-28, 22:23   Link #49
babohtea

However, I'd prefer it if they both had a more equal distribution of the sexes. I mean, in Railgun all of the major protaganists AND antagonists are female (Touma doesn't count). I can understand why you have to keep Touma in for Misaka, but the other girls could easily become friends with more guys. Even if they aren't friends, at least have more male characters. Even for the stock characters in the background!
babohtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 22:51   Link #50
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babohtea View Post
However, I'd prefer it if they both had a more equal distribution of the sexes. I mean, in Railgun all of the major protaganists AND antagonists are female (Touma doesn't count). I can understand why you have to keep Touma in for Misaka, but the other girls could easily become friends with more guys. Even if they aren't friends, at least have more male characters. Even for the stock characters in the background!
Silly lad, the first man to interact with these young ladies would become an enemy of all men (fictional or IRL).
Old 2010-03-01, 00:01   Link #51
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
That is true but I feel Uiharu is more full on emotion about it all and Kuroko-sama is more level headed about it.
Kuroko-sama notices their may be a connection with the Poltergeist stuff and Erii and thats cause for concern with any body, where as Uiharu is basically trying to deny any possibility at all.
If the masses find out that a person with out of control powers is causing harm to others there would most def be outcry about it and consequences for all espers.
Sure this is no X-Men thing but I would have to guess something would happen.

p.s Kongo Mitsuko is <3(I always think of Mugi-chan when she appears)
Old 2010-03-01, 00:53   Link #52
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
p.s Kongo Mitsuko is <3(I always think of Mugi-chan when she appears)
Which brings to question why the RSPK event happened to her. I have a feeling there is more to Kongo Mitsuko than meets the eye. If indeed Banrichan(sp?) is contacting her old friends why Mitsuko? Is she a friend as well?
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-01, 01:22   Link #53
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Mmmeh, a so-so episode. Yes there were developments, but not quite anything that we didn't see coming for a while there. And yes, UIharu is a bit overprotective of a person she hasn't even known for a week. Not much else for me to say. :/

7/10
Old 2010-03-01, 01:45   Link #54
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Mmmeh, a so-so episode. Yes there were developments, but not quite anything that we didn't see coming for a while there. And yes, UIharu is a bit overprotective of a person she hasn't even known for a week. Not much else for me to say. :/

7/10
Then again Kuroko is a bit too fast jumping the gun. Which has been also the reason for their previous argument.

Only Mikoto is connecting the dots that this has something to do with Harumi's kids.
Old 2010-03-01, 01:45   Link #55
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

@ReddyRedWolf

Now that you've thought about it, yes. I think there's more to Kongou being attacked by scary dolls than just a running gag. But so far, there are little clues to link Kongou or Tokiwadai's dormitory in the Gardens of Education to the RPSK incidents. Could it be... the Queen? o.o

Old 2010-03-01, 03:37   Link #56
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
He probably meant the characters being expanded aswell. Both can contribute to giving depth to a character.

Ouch. Not one perfect ten.

Last edited by Haak; 2010-03-01 at 05:00.
Old 2010-03-01, 05:15   Link #57
Sigsig

Quote:

And since Haruue receives telepathic signals without fail everytime there's a Poltergeist incident, does that imply her partner is the one messing with the AIM fields?

Index was enjoyable to me for all of its technobabble (however nonsensical they turn out to be ) and general flashiness, but I agree that having continuity between arcs already makes Railgun much better in terms of storytelling. It also helps to see main characters getting developed instead of disappearing for 70% of the series.
I think her friend died in the Kiyama experiment shown several eps ago.
Sigsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-01, 05:28   Link #58
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

No she's not dead. She's just in a coma.
Old 2010-03-01, 05:30   Link #59
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigsig View Post
I think her friend died in the Kiyama experiment shown several eps ago.
No she is alive...barely.

The reason why Harumi created Level Upper was to use the combined computational power of the victims to formulate a way save those children from coma induced by Kihara Sr. power berserk experiment. Those in authority won't let her use the Tree Diagram. But that is all moot as the Tree Diagram was already destroyed along with the Kaguya satellite.

Problem is these inhuman experiments are sanctioned by Academy City's Board of Directors therefore by Aleister Crowley himself.
Old 2010-03-01, 07:48   Link #60
Ashaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
@ReddyRedWolf

Now that you've thought about it, yes. I think there's more to Kongou being attacked by scary dolls than just a running gag. But so far, there are little clues to link Kongou or Tokiwadai's dormitory in the Gardens of Education to the RPSK incidents. Could it be... the Queen? o.o
DO WANT! I want to know more about the Queen, she seems to be quite intresting from what little I've read.

This episode got an 8 from me. It was quite good, but seemed to more be building up for next episode. The idea of Uiharu wanting to protect her new friend was a little extreme, but understandable. I'd have to side with Kuroko though. She had good reason to be suspicious.
Ashaman is offline   Reply With Quote