AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2014-12-20, 18:35   Link #1
Lefay

Mother of Learning [Web Novel]

Original Title : Mother of Learning
Author : nobody103
Publisher : Fictionpress
Baka-Tsuki Link
nobody103's Fictionpress
nobody103's Patreon

Quote:
Synopsis from Baka-Tsuki:
Zorian is a teenage mage of humble birth and slightly above-average skill, attending his third year of education at Cyoria's magical academy. He is a driven and irritable young man, consumed by a desire to ensure his own future and free himself of the influence of his family, whom he resents for favoring his brothers over him. Consequently, he has no time for pointless distractions or paying attention to other people's problems.
As it happens, time is something he is about to get plenty of. On the eve of the Cyoria's annual summer festival, he is killed and brought back to the beginning of the month, just before he was about to take a train to Cyoria. Suddenly trapped in a time loop with no clear end or exit, Zorian will have to look both within and without to unravel the mystery before him. And he does have to unravel it, for the time loop hadn't been made for his sake and dangers lurk everywhere...
Repetition is the mother of learning, but Zorian will have to first make sure he survives to try again - in a world of magic, even a time traveler isn't safe from those who wish him ill.
Spoiler for Cyoria:

Surprised no one's posted this here yet, since it's one of the best. Even though it's not originally in Japanese, it reads just like a light novel. The updates are somewhat slow, but the author says he's planning to release 2 chapters a month.

Last edited by Lefay; 2015-02-15 at 16:12.
Lefay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-20, 18:39   Link #2
Princess Angels
Ur # 1 Girl

This is interesting ^-^
Tell me does this light novel has romance
Old 2014-12-20, 18:49   Link #3
El Rue
Otherworld Wanderer

Oh, yeah...it was one of those things on my list to check out.

But as usual, I get distracted easily. Better fix that...
Old 2014-12-20, 18:55   Link #4
Princess Angels
Ur # 1 Girl

Does it have any romance on it?
Old 2014-12-20, 18:57   Link #5
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Angels View Post
not really

a hint here and there but the MC is too busy trying to survive and figuring things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefay View Post
Surprised no one's posted this here yet,
somebody did, i believed the mods deleted because it is a Eng novel not japanese/korean/chinese. So technically it doesn't actually belong here.
Old 2014-12-20, 19:07   Link #6
Princess Angels
Ur # 1 Girl

oh by the way i love ur sig pic what is it?

Can you tell me more about this novel?
Old 2014-12-20, 19:13   Link #7
Lefay

Quote:
There are several girls, but the nature of the time loop makes the romance extremely subtle (that is, nonexistent if you're talking about relationships), but I think it will develop further in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
not really

a hint here and there but the MC is too busy trying to survive and figuring things out.

somebody did, i believed the mods deleted because it is a Eng novel not japanese/korean/chinese. So technically it doesn't actually belong here.

It's not like there can't be an English light novel

The author admits to be influenced by works like FMA, Naruto, and some of his writing has a very Japanese feel.
Old 2014-12-20, 19:31   Link #8
teejmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
not really
I'm not sure about an actual thread for it. It was mentioned in the Syosetsuka ni Narou Discussion Thread a few times.

As to the story, Zorian is the type of character I most appreciate - someone who thinks before he does stuff. He realizes there are multiple opportunities present with continually going to the past, and he takes advantage of them. He's not some overpowered superhero that a lot of light novels like to show. Instead, he relies on traps and stuff to "overpower" his enemies.

Interestingly enough, Zorian is not the one who the whole time-travel is centered around. Instead, he's forced into it. A certain other person has been reliving the three months over and over again a lot longer than Zorian.

As to romance, Zorian seriously has no interest. He realizes a few girls may actually want something along those lines, but he actively steers away from that (it didn't help that a past crush had no clue he even thought of her that way, even after he confessed...).
teejmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-20, 19:33   Link #9
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
oh by the way i love ur sig pic what is it?
mine? Those are Sweet Potato Fries.

Quote:
Can you tell me more about this novel?
not much to say, it is basically Groundhogs Day+Fantasy+School Life.

the writing is a bit slow at first until the first reset. It gets a lot better after that. The MC is smart but not brilliant, well verse but not OP. A bit mature for his age but well explain by his families circumstance.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2014-12-20 at 19:43.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-20, 19:56   Link #10
Princess Angels
Ur # 1 Girl

thanks

oh okay ^-^ I don't like sweet potatoes fries anyway
thanks for answering my questions
Old 2014-12-20, 21:52   Link #11
ballster147

Oh I like this one but its updates takes a month or so that made me forgot it.

The character is not OP in here although he can go back in time but with his mediocre mana reserve or something that increases slightly every reset (still mediocre though) he was limited with his magic output but he compensate with knowledge (unlike the other one), magic control and variety of spells and tools. He has an innate talent too(talking to spiders).
ballster147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-21, 02:20   Link #12
laclongquan

NO romance just yet, if you compare its aspect to Japanese web novel style.

PG13. though some violence scene might be too much. Then again, gorier scenes than that shown on TV, so maybe not.

Update schedules, think 5 weeks per chap.

EDIT: think latebloomer char of Japanese design.
laclongquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-21, 14:02   Link #13
Johnny
Working the bags...

Does it get better? I made it through the first chapter and not sure if I can stand much more of the MC...

I find it ironic that he's calling his sister a brat when that's what I was thinking he was. Seems like a whiny teenager mad at the world that doesn't have any major problems or reasons to be acting like a douchewad...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-21, 14:20   Link #14
NotteBoy97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Does it get better? I made it through the first chapter and not sure if I can stand much more of the MC...

I find it ironic that he's calling his sister a brat when that's what I was thinking he was. Seems like a whiny teenager mad at the world that doesn't have any major problems or reasons to be acting like a douchewad...
Zorian get's better and grows as a character through the story and describes himself as mellowing out. Basically try and deal with it if you can or at least stay for the time loop and one of the greatest (imo) magic systems i have seen in all of the books I have read.
NotteBoy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-21, 15:24   Link #15
bludvein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

Yes it does. Think of it like Groundhog's Day, where one of the major themes is for Zorian to grow as a person. Bill Murray's character was a complete asshole at the start of that movie; Zorian is actually nice in comparison (though he's no people person).

The sister thing wasn't so bad though. She is kind of a brat. I thought their relationship was pretty normal all things considered.

Last edited by bludvein; 2014-12-21 at 16:11.
bludvein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-21, 16:02   Link #16
teejmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvein View Post
Yes it does. Think of it like Groundhog's Day, where one of the major themes is for Zorian to grow as a person. Bill Murray's character was a complete asshole at the start of that movie. Plus Zorian has believable reasons to be like that, trust me.

The sister thing wasn't so bad though. She is kind of a brat. I thought their relationship was pretty normal all things considered.
Plus, he later finds out why she was being bratty and they really get close. Granted that lasts all for three months, thanks to the Groundhog's Day phenomenon, but he never forgets about her.
teejmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-21, 16:28   Link #17
Lefay

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotteBoy97 View Post
Zorian get's better and grows as a character through the story and describes himself as mellowing out. Basically try and deal with it if you can or at least stay for the time loop and one of the greatest (imo) magic systems i have seen in all of the books I have read.
Yeah, I have to say the month-long time loop gives the story huge room to grow, as we see in the newest chapters.

Definitely agree about the magic system and world building. The longer you read, the more you realize how wide the author's ambitions are in synergizing a whole lot of different fantasy elements.
Old 2014-12-22, 09:46   Link #18
bludvein

Zorian was kind of a good person from the start, just hidden under his attitude. He helps the little girl get her bike out of the creek and searches for Akoja during the invasion before the loop even starts for him.

So anyway, how do you all think the next couple loops will go? Will he focus on the dungeon while honing his ward-breaking, or will he investigate the missing/dead mages?
bludvein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-22, 10:49   Link #19
casgoldsmith

~Boring

I NEARLY DIED OF BOREDOM!!!
Old 2014-12-22, 10:58   Link #20
Lefay

Quote:
Originally Posted by casgoldsmith View Post
~Boring

I NEARLY DIED OF BOREDOM!!!
No hot romance, no good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvein View Post
Zorian was kind of a good person from the start, just hidden under his attitude. He helps the little girl get her bike out of the creek and searches for Akoja during the invasion before the loop even starts for him.

So anyway, how do you all think the next couple loops will go? Will he focus on the dungeon while honing his ward-breaking, or will he investigate the missing/dead mages?
Spoiler for :

Tags
fantasy, smart male lead, time loop