AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-02-28, 20:21   Link #1
Hydex

What's so fun about Karaoke?

Well, I just can't understand why in almost every anime i watch the characters have to sing at a karaoke place?
I suppose it's because it's popular in Japan? but why? and how did it become so successful?
Hydex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-28, 20:30   Link #2
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Think about it.

You and a group of your friends want to do something fun together. Since its an urban enviroment you arent given the same amount of space as those in the country side. So you want to do something fun together, singing is one of them.

Singing has long routes, as long as history of the human race. We began to sing probably when we were all still in africa. Singing brought social benefits to the people.

Weither you realise it or not, singing is fun and relaxing. Not matter how bad you sing your friends will sing as bad as you most of the time. So you can make fun of each other while each other is performing and it'll all be clean fun.

Take a few friends to a local karaoke shop, and you'll see what i mean.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-28, 22:26   Link #3
Taboo
Riceball!

Send a message via Yahoo to Taboo
We don't have anything like karaoke shops here in Oklahoma. Only "karaoke nights" at the bars and such. Some people really enjoy it though. However, It seems some people who enjoy it the most think they are able to sing well and, typically, are...uhm...not. LOL

We start off singing as small children and I think it is pretty natural for it to be fun for most people even as they grow older.

*edit for forgetting an important word LOL*
Taboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-28, 22:40   Link #4
Cz
Needs more sleep~

Because it is fun? Some of us like singing, and of course, if it's all bad singing then people around will suffer. But if you do not sound too bad, then it can be quite fun, especially if one sings a favorite song. See the karaoke competitions we have had before.
Cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 10:53   Link #5
Cloudkiller1
Spina~

Sometimes it's better when you're bit drunk. But really, its actually quite fun to do so. If you can't find a kareoke bar. Go buy one of those machine. I think they will do just fine.
Cloudkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 12:42   Link #6
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Dunno; but if they're anything like my friends and I, we do karaoke as often as possible (hard with kids and such); we like to hang out, I love to sing, so, it works out well. 90% of the people I go with don't sing, so we're spared at least that; however, I maintain Karaoke is where people who shouldn't drink, and people who shouldn't sing, meet

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 13:28   Link #7
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

I'm surprised people don't sing with your friends in America. Most Asian nations have karaoke - from Taiwan to South Korea, to Hong Kong.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 13:53   Link #8
Hydex

As Taboo said, we only have Karaoke nights, mostly in bars or clubs, and as far as i know it is not so popular..
It seems it never had the success it has in Asia. According to http://ens.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karaoke it origins in Japan, it seems that it has not spread.
Kj1980 i'm the one surprised ^-^.
Hydex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 14:06   Link #9
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
I'm surprised people don't sing with your friends in America. Most Asian nations have karaoke - from Taiwan to South Korea, to Hong Kong.
Many of us do in America. I do. It's just not as well known or publicized. Plus, the American culture can be a bit more "stand offish" at times. Many of us would rather ram a steel poll through our abdomen then car pool and sit toe-to-toe with a semi-strange co-worker. I just don’t think it’s all that ingrained in our culture to go out on a night and sing together. Embarrassment > Fun.

Regardless, there's a thriving Karaoke crowd around my area, but admittedly, the topless bars have an edge on us.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 21:55   Link #10
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I would never get up and sing in front of a crowd of people... I might not even sing in front of my friends. I'm not very good at singing, and I have social anxiety disorder, so I get embarrased extremely easily. I still like to sing, though. That's why I enter the Karaoke Competitions on Animesuki. Even if the people here think my singing is horrible/stupid, it doesn't feel the same as doing it in front of people's faces.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 22:06   Link #11
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydex
Well, I just can't understand why in almost every anime i watch the characters have to sing at a karaoke place?
I suppose it's because it's popular in Japan? but why? and how did it become so successful?
Get Drunk. Then sing. You will have fun.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-02, 02:07   Link #12
llama

Send a message via AIM to llama
It's fun because it allows you to torture people legally and non-violently.
llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-02, 10:52   Link #13
Lady Yanami
There's always a catch...

Send a message via AIM to Lady Yanami Send a message via MSN to Lady Yanami

Most places in the US that have karaoke are not the same as they are in Japan. You normally sing in front of whoever happens to be listening and that can be embarassing. But if you want to do karaoke with your friends and family, you can either buy a karaoke machine OR a PS2. PS2 has a few games out by Konami called Karaoke Revolution (yes, like DDR--but with singing). And you can sing at home. They have characters you can choose from, change outfits (the newest one--you pretty much create your own character), you pick from a list of 50 songs and sing. It has different modes, so you can challenge each other etc. It's a really fun game, and you don't have to leave your house. I recommend it. It is fun.

It's a great stress reliever ^.^
Lady Yanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-02, 17:28   Link #14
Cz
Needs more sleep~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy
I would never get up and sing in front of a crowd of people... I might not even sing in front of my friends. I'm not very good at singing, and I have social anxiety disorder, so I get embarrased extremely easily. I still like to sing, though. That's why I enter the Karaoke Competitions on Animesuki. Even if the people here think my singing is horrible/stupid, it doesn't feel the same as doing it in front of people's faces.
I feel the same way too, especially since most of my friends do not sing to Japanese/anime songs. I remember karaoke'ing with my family at home when I was younger, singing to those karaoke VHS tapes of older songs that my parents love. I'm not sure I would do it now, especially singing those songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama
It's fun because it allows you to torture people legally and non-violently.
Hahaha I like this answer. However, some people sing well enough that torture becomes pleasure. *goes back to listen to some good karacomp entries*

Karaoke places are common in the Southeast Asian country that I come from, and although I have not seen one of those here in the U.S. my current roommate and his wife do karaoke in the comfort of their home (in which I'm staying). They usually do it after a nice romantic home-cooked dinner. Aww... (I usually just stay in my room )
Cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-02, 19:01   Link #15
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirls
Regardless, there's a thriving Karaoke crowd around my area, but admittedly, the topless bars have an edge on us.

Topless karaoke....just an ideal.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-02, 20:27   Link #16
Cloudkiller1
Spina~

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin
Get Drunk. Then sing. You will have fun.
Damn right!!! That's what I said earlier as well. With this way, you won't be embarrassed when you sing. See? It works both way, now if you could only find a friend who would pay for the booze...
Cloudkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-08, 10:43   Link #17
Roopoo
Roo

Send a message via MSN to Roopoo
Im sorry but karaoke leaves me dead. It might be fun for the singer but its hell when you have to listen. I went to a party and a Filipino guy brought his karaoke machine with him. He thought he was such a good singer. Hmmmm... The only one I think. Mind you, the rest of us were mostly Ozzies. More interested in the drink side.

Last edited by Roopoo; 2006-03-08 at 11:18.
Roopoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-13, 21:45   Link #18
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Karaoke is no good if you are trying to be serious... and you are not a good singer. Most people are not good singers.

I try to stick to songs where you can ham it up like "New York, New York", or fun songs with little range, like Cameo's "Word Up", or Mystical's "Shake Your ___". With those last two songs I've gotten lots of people out on the dance floor... the crowd usually gets bored with idiots trying to sing beautiful love songs and such. You're supposed to let loose out there!!!

"SHOW ME WHAT YOUR WORKIN' WIT' !"

-k

curious
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-14, 11:40   Link #19
ZeRoGravity

i think everyone likes to sing, don't tell me you don't sing along with one of your favourite songs when you're alone. You just have to get over your embarrassment of singing with other people.

Just a few weeks i went to karaoke for the first time, i really didn't wanna go but i end up singing. When i hear one of my favourite song was on i just wanted to sing it. My friends said my voice wasn't bad, so that was good.
Old 2006-03-14, 21:09   Link #20
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

the funnest thing about karaoke is....

well i guess...

its the girls.

your probably going with guys... thats why your not having fun :P

really though, karaoke pizza places arnt that bad. they can be fun to go with the family.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote