AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-11-19, 21:52   Link #301
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Is it possible to stop all illegal net release of anime? Hmm..
Phantasmagoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 22:54   Link #302
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhead View Post
Not really -- after all, no one's been able to stop heavy drug use or theft, even though those are illegal.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 00:44   Link #303
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhead View Post
Remember when US tried to ban Alcohol by the 18th Amendment? That didn't exactly work out as we had hoped.
minhtam1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 00:48   Link #304
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
Well, you can't expect every game on every console to be a masterpiece just because it's next generation, can you?
Well... true, but it's either me or they really just don't interest me now more ^_^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 20:31   Link #305
stormie

" Japan Asks America to Stop Illegal Net Releases of Anime " Kinda pointless if you ask me. Never will happen, theres always another way around it. Japan's own people bit torrent their own anime shows, shall it be fansub or DVD releases.

I remember I was dling Fansub dvd anime rip there was like 20-40 people connected to me and they were all IP's from japan mostly, great speeds too over 1mbs. I was prety sure, that japan is MORE stricter on DDL anime then we are. While japan has house to house check for stuff like this.
stormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 14:16   Link #306
JustInn14
moo

hmm, how do you tell the things that License anime "WE WANNA HEAR IT IN JAPANESES' LANGUAGE?!" That might help a bit for DVD releases.
JustInn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 15:15   Link #307
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustInn14 View Post
hmm, how do you tell the things that License anime "WE WANNA HEAR IT IN JAPANESES' LANGUAGE?!" That might help a bit for DVD releases.
What? Most DVDs are already bilingual. So why would you have to tell them to do something they're already doing? Unless its 4Kids, which is a big exception. Or select Viz titles.
Royal_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 11:26   Link #308
JustInn14
moo

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
Remember when US tried to ban Alcohol by the 18th Amendment? That didn't exactly work out as we had hoped.
Of course not! We still have drunk drivers, and people who still drink (rather bad smelling) beer!

Anyways, I did not know that these Anime DVDS' had multiple language options on them. I've never owned any......
JustInn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 14:00   Link #309
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustInn14 View Post
Of course not! We still have drunk drivers, and people who still drink (rather bad smelling) beer!

Anyways, I did not know that these Anime DVDS' had multiple language options on them. I've never owned any......
That's not quite what he meant. After Prohibition was enacted, crime rose as a way to get around the alcohol ban until it was repealed.

Even if you haven't owned any DVDs, I thought for sure you'd have seen the talk around here about Japanese language and subtitle options, especially in the Lucky Star and Haruhi boards. Oh well.
Alexandrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 04:39   Link #310
HA2
a HnG fan

Send a message via Yahoo to HA2
They don't sell anime in my country, so i can only download.....
HA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 05:13   Link #311
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by HA2 View Post
They don't sell anime in my country, so i can only download.....
Gee that's tough. I'm guessing you must have laws against purchasing DVDs on the internet also, or else you'd just go to a ton of websites that sell discounted anime. Yup, that must be really tough. I guess it's true what they say: "If anime is outlawed, only outlaws will have anime."

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 07:59   Link #312
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Gee that's tough. I'm guessing you must have laws against purchasing DVDs on the internet also, or else you'd just go to a ton of websites that sell discounted anime. Yup, that must be really tough. I guess it's true what they say: "If anime is outlawed, only outlaws will have anime."
Hey! What about those researchers at the South Pole research station over the winter? They have internet, but no deliveries in or out for MONTHS!

Are we to deny them the third most important thing for survival after food and toilet paper? I think not.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 08:57   Link #313
Saleh
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Hey! What about those researchers at the South Pole research station over the winter? They have internet, but no deliveries in or out for MONTHS!

Are we to deny them the third most important thing for survival after food and toilet paper? I think not.
Anime certainly isn't a necessity and the researcher at south pole probably won't get any free time for animes.
Old 2007-11-23, 09:04   Link #314
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleh View Post
Anime certainly isn't a necessity and the researcher at south pole probably won't get any free time for animes.
Wow, someone has a serious problem detecting a joke.

To make this post have some content, I actually personally know someone who went to the south pole to work on one of the x-ray telescopes down there (cobra, I think it is called), and yes, they DO have time to relax. Considering that you aren't able to stay outside for very long at all, the people there over the winter are mainly for maintenance and to repair things that break. So yes, they DO have a lot of free time that I hear is taken up by things like cards, board games, etc. No evidence of anime ever being watched at the south pole, but with the number of college students that go down there I bet it's happened.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 10:01   Link #315
SilentBob
I like corm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarredmind View Post
I got one of those listed messages... for downloading an unlicensed series... The fact is I will not buy a series that I can't preview first (I've ended up with way too many stinkers that way) and with most anime running $30US per disk, its just not worth the risk.
What ^ said. I like to try before I buy. God knows I've burned myself on just getting stuff blindly before (applies to anime, games, movies, TV series and whatnot). So while I can appreciate them wanting to protect their intellectual property, they're not doing me any favours in that regard.
SilentBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 10:04   Link #316
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Well, to be fair, not everyone can really buy off the internet (it wasn't an option for me at all until very recently, and even then via other people) - a lot of downloaders happen to be teenagers and not all of them have control over their bank accounts etc. But I agree it isn't a real justification... although I used to download fansubs for the same reason anyway.

However, some decent official R1 releases go for such incredible prices I have to resist the urge to just steal someone's credit card and buy them during those sales... a pity they go to ridiculous prices when they're imported here (where I looked anyway).
Old 2007-11-23, 12:42   Link #317
Kristen
*Author

They can try, but it most likely isn't going to stop the fansubbers.

I think it's a boon to their industry. I never would have been watching anime if there were no fansubs (Since dubs are just... ew...), and because I'm watching it, they have already got some of my money for various things. And when the Kanon and Clannad patches come out, they're going to get even more of my money they wouldn't have had.
Fansubs spread anime around the world, resulting in more interest and more money.
Old 2007-11-23, 17:45   Link #318
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Send a message via AIM to WolfCoder Send a message via MSN to WolfCoder Send a message via Yahoo to WolfCoder
Someone once told me that by watching fansubs you won't want to buy the Anime. However, if it were not for fansubs I would have not been able to like or to know about the series in the first place making it nonexistent to me.
WolfCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 11:47   Link #319
Darkridr

I've considered the era of consumer-use Internet to be a new renaissance. With it, we can share ideas and concepts freely, with little or no influence from any government entities.

Back in the pre-renaissance days, the only way one could enjoy good music or theatre was by having substantial amounts of wealth needed to buy tickets to closed concerts. Later, there were independent theatre troupes who would perform these same plays and musical pieces at a substantially lower price, which then the lower classes could then enjoy. Such sharing of art led to more diversified ideas among the common people, which led to more radical ideals regarding politics. This indirectly caused "reforms" throughout various countries of an atrocious nature. Please read world history texts for more detailed information.

In the pre-internet days, the only way one could enjoy good anime was by traveling to Japan. Period. Please note that I said "good" anime, in my opening remark. The anime that was spoon-fed to American viewers was biased, censored, butchered, and blatantly lobotomized by the sponsors that imported them. Yet, I'm still happy they were released, as I would not have any kind of base for my search for this art form without it. Still, now that the Internet has allowed me access to the whole diverse realm of Japanese programming (yes, I am including non-anime in this) I can now pick and choose any type of show I want, in its original form, without anyone else censoring what they think is inappropriate.

This is done in its entirety by fansubs.

It's easy to mention all the licensing companies and say "but they put them out uncensored too," but the only reason this is true is because these companies realize from fansubs how much the general public wants it this way. I still remember the old Americanized copies of "Sailor Moon" and "Card Captors." *shudder*

IMHO, these movements to stop these independent, non-profit groups from releasing titles is no different from the old-governments' reform attempts -- you know...hunting down theatre troupes performing Hamlet for the masses, arresting them, and torturing them. However, in this care there's one exception: Fansubbing is too widespread for any major government to stop it in its entirety. At least I hope this is the case, as the methods needed to stop the sharing of art and literature would be so oppressive that we would see a "dark ages" kind of future of the likes that have never been seen before -- not even in post-apocalyptic SF movies.

So the question here is, "What are the legalities really?" I'm certainly for giving monetary credit back to the original creators of these wonderful works, but I want them ALL to be available, in their original state, in a timely manner, and in a format I can understand. Until those original creators can comply with my needs, I have to use a method that is considered illegal by government definitions.

If any Japanese Studios' representatives are reading this, I implore you: Please set up a business model similar to Netflix or Itunes, where I can buy my shows either one at a time, or with a flat monthly fee -- I AM WILLING TO PAY FOR IT!!!

For the rest of is, all I can say is, either a) the above business model will come out someday, b) there will be fansubbing groups forever, and/or c) there will be another "reform act" that will decimate our society forever -- and if this last is to occur, it will NOT be simply due to fansubbers, but rather to stop all piracy everywhere, to which we are a part.
Darkridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 15:38   Link #320
cyth
Banned

And the drama continues...

http://www.activeanime.com/html/content/view/2171/36/

Source
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote