Quote:
Originally Posted by cicido View Post
* Minami-ke ~Okawari~ - [06/01/2008]
Five Days To The Second Season...Well I Ready To Laugh
Old 2008-01-01, 14:57   Link #963
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Yep. It means 'seconds', but the wording itself does mean 'replacement'. But these types of words evolve with use. Like with many English wording. No wonder the exact definition of the words are always misunderstood.
ok, If you have to use babelfish to find the meaning of the word you have a problem.
If you watch the preview at the end of episode 13 (I don't expect you because it's still raw and nobody has subbed the episode yet) Chiaki tells us that when you want more of something you get "seconds". The problem with babelfish is that they replace words or obmit parts of the word.

replacement=Kawari=替わり
seconds,second helping =Okawari=お替り or お替わり

Notice that they are very similar and maybe for a non native they might sound the same but they have the "O" sound as a difference. Also Okawari can be written in two ways in Kanji but not "kawari" which is replacement. I am not a japanese native but I have been learning Japanese for 5 years and still have problem with some words but Kawari and Okawari are the most simple words you can learn. In japanese just by adding a single letter to a word you can change the meaning a lot.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-01, 16:41   Link #964
SilentBob
I like corm

Well, nevertheless, we're getting seconds of Minami-ke, and we didn't even have to ask for it.
SilentBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-01, 19:07   Link #965
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevency View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2008-01-01, 23:08   Link #966
ando

I'm looking foward to Mako-chan and Touma in Okawari.

Old 2008-01-01, 23:25   Link #967
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
replacement=Kawari=替わり

Notice that they are very similar and maybe for a non native they might sound the same but they have the "O" sound as a difference. Also Okawari can be written in two ways in Kanji but not "kawari" which is replacement. I am not a japanese native but I have been learning Japanese for 5 years and still have problem with some words but Kawari and Okawari are the most simple words you can learn. In japanese just by adding a single letter to a word you can change the meaning a lot.
Hmm... in this case the 'o' is just intended as a honorific you know A similar case to this would be genki, which means health. However when you want to politely ask for someone else health you go for 'Ogenki desu ka?' instead of the informal 'dou? genki?' Likewise, since with 'kawari' you want to politely ask for more food, you add a honorific to the word. In this case the use of the word kawari(replacement) to ask for more food, which might seem like an odd use for Westerners just stems from the fact that Japanese evolved linguistically sepparate from Western languages, and as such you shouldn't expect every word to have an exact, literal and similar equivalent, like it would be case with languages like Spanish or French.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-01, 23:57   Link #968
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoMan View Post
Hmm... in this case the 'o' is just intended as a honorific you know A similar case to this would be genki, which means health. However when you want to politely ask for someone else health you go for 'Ogenki desu ka?' instead of the informal 'dou? genki?' Likewise, since with 'kawari' you want to politely ask for more food, you add a honorific to the word. In this case the use of the word kawari(replacement) to ask for more food, which might seem like an odd use for Westerners just stems from the fact that Japanese evolved linguistically sepparate from Western languages, and as such you shouldn't expect every word to have an exact, literal and similar equivalent, like it would be case with languages like Spanish or French.
I agree that the O is used for politeness thus why Okawari is ALways used for "second helping"
or "Seconds". In the other side you don't use Okawari to say "substitute" or "replacement" if you don't want to be look at funny when saying it to a japanese.

I did a little more investigating as my anime schedule is empty and I hate to be wrong. It was not a bad deal because I learned some new kanji that I didn't know before. All the places I checked have Okawari only used for "second helping" and One place had "Kawari" also used as "second helping".

Online dictionaries! As you can see Babel fish is not the best place to find things.
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/c...wwwjdic.cgi?1C
http://www.freedict.com/onldict/jap.html
http://jisho.org/words?jap=okawari&eng=&dict=edict
http://jisho.org/words?jap=kawari&eng=&dict=edict
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-01, 23:58   Link #969
Midonin
Last Engage

Touma and Mako-chan look even better in the second season.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 00:42   Link #970
Falkor

And yet another fandub… I wonder if they will keep doing that for Okawari or perhaps they might start some auditions…

Spoiler for Random thoughts for the great finale:

Minami-ke is one of the few shows I was looking forward the most this passing Fall (the other one is Clannad). Okawari has a great task on its shoulders in order reach the same level of entertainment. Hopefully, this new season is up to the pressure and the high/low expectations created by the first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post
I'm looking foward to Mako-chan and Touma in Okawari.

Looking forward to those two also.

I think the term Okawari fits perfectly this “new” season. Many of us knew beforehand that a second season done by another studio would be coming right after this one. However, all the information pointed to an alternate retelling of the events rather than a continuation, but looking at the teaser, the latter seems more likely to happen and so, it’s Okawari. I wonder now what the writers have come up with since they don’t have to be bothered with more introductions, but rather, with extending/fleshing out the great job done by the first studio.

I might post something about Sensei and Ninomiya-kun… it's the best parody of Japanese drama.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 00:44   Link #971
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Spoiler:
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 00:47   Link #972
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
Spoiler for Random thoughts for the great finale:
Well, Touma doesn't need to imagine it - she's seen it first hand!
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 00:47   Link #973
todkapuz
Seiza + Katana = Ai-daiyo

all in all I enjoyed the first season... a fair bit of it reminded me exactly what I expected out of the manga... hehe..... i dunno... I've grown used to this season's charector depictions, not sure how I'll react to next seaon yet.... but it does look like Mako and Touma are going to have a lot of fun... it looks like they are headed to a bath in the next season.... that's going to be really fun....

Well for not expecting much, it was a good diversion from reality. Okawari!
todkapuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 01:40   Link #974
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
ok, If you have to use babelfish to find the meaning of the word you have a problem.
If you watch the preview at the end of episode 13 (I don't expect you because it's still raw and nobody has subbed the episode yet) Chiaki tells us that when you want more of something you get "seconds". The problem with babelfish is that they replace words or obmit parts of the word.

replacement=Kawari=替わり

Yes. Okawari is a word stemming from replacing bowls (hence the Kawari part) then the slangish word basically became official. I seriously doubt the word 'Okawari' came out of the thin air.

Speaking of the show, I just realized that Minami-ke likely spawned off of the popularity of the manga Azumanga which was basically based off of the retarded/stupid/slice-of-life antics of the Sailor Moon girls.

I had this weird moment of dejavu after watching a Sailor Moon episode then watching the Minami-ke episode.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 01:41   Link #975
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

This first half of the series is great. Minami-ke is a very refreshing comedy and out of it I've fallen in love with Kana and Fujioka. They make one hilarious pair. Poor Fujioka! Other great characters with great scenes are Mako-chan, Touma, and Hosaka. Of course, the sibling dynamic is the main draw and attraction. Even the counterpart Minami siblings offered some very interesting contrast. Can't wait for Okawari!
khryoleoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 03:37   Link #976
ZODDGUTS

Good series can't say it was as good as Azumanga or Ichigo Mashimaro but still a good and fun series to watch. Wanna see as to how the next series is gonna turn out to be.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 05:50   Link #977
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Great way to round off the season, but imagine that sweat dripping into those noodles oO
Old 2008-01-02, 06:09   Link #978
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

OMG ...I Didn't Ever Laugh That Much in my Life Like This...
This The Best End ..
Old 2008-01-02, 06:11   Link #979
Blaat

I enjoyed the final episode and honestly we should have a bonus episode featuring Hosaka's fantasies, great stuff

Anyway having seen the designs for Okawari in action I've got to say one thing: I really prefer the old one some of the character look scary with the huge eyes.

Thanks to Ayako for finishing this great stuff.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 06:34   Link #980
Sassarai
Army of One

Err so Ninomiya kun didnt die or get hit by a car in the final ep.....DISAPPOINTING!
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, seinen, slice of life