AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-07-06, 08:12   Link #1041
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Well, in the sense that the key questions have already been answered by the end of the series.

1) "Will they, or won't they be a couple?" Yup, they're a couple now, as Nodame said coyly during the epilogue, "I guess it's official..."

2) Will Chiaki get over his fear of flying, and pursue a career overseas? Yup, he will.

3) Can bad memories be overcome? Yup, through new encounters.

These were the key themes that the anime had set up, and they've all been addressed very nicely by the end of the last episode. It's very rare for any programme, anime or live-action, to achieve such a satisfying sense of closure. As such, there really isn't any need for a second season. In fact, unless the manga/anime explore brand new themes from this point on, more episodes would simply be long-winded and unnecessary.

Sometimes, you've just got to know when to stop. Better to end on a high note than to drag things out to a boring end.

But of course, I say that as a non-manga reader. I don't really know if more exciting things will happen from now on. If there are, then by all means, bring on a second season.
True there have been several series where i just wish they would stop instead of dragging it out (cough School Rumble) I my self have not read the manga yet since i did not want to compare it to the anime. But serveral people have stated that some cool things happen once the new couple arrive in europe. So that could be nice to watch. However if there is not enough material i would rather the series end on the high note as it just did
Old 2007-07-06, 08:25   Link #1042
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Is there really any need for a second season? I mean, that was such an incredibly satisfying ending, I don't see the point to a second season.
I agree that the story being told in this season was satifyingly resolved, however, its not like nothing else will ever happend to the two characters. Given their personalites, I would not expect Chiaki and Nodame to live carefree and uneventlful lives from this point on. It just seems like these characters have enough depth to them to that there are more stories that could be told about them.

I can see two possible outcomes for a second season, either it's good, or it's not. If its good, certainly there is no reason to complain about it! If it's bad, well, so what? I that case, just ignore it! Certainly a bad season that you don't watch is no worse than no second season, right? It does not detract from the quality of the first season, or the enjoyment you derived from it.

If there is never another season of Nodame, this season was wonderful and does not need anything else to make it complete, but I would still like to enjoy more of these characters that I have come to like so much.
mdauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 09:16   Link #1043
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Next up on Noitamina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
IAccording to wikipedia, it's "Mononoke". (which doesn't really interest me too much despite sharing it's name with part of the title of one of my favourites)
Mononoke extends the three-episode sequence at the end of Ayakashi Ayashi, called "Bakeneko." I suggest you take a look at Bakeneko if you haven't. You might change your mind.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2007-07-06 at 09:35.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 13:58   Link #1044
mangafanatic

Having just finished episode 23, I have to say that the ending for this show has beem one of the most satisfying of any show I've watched in recent years. Since I don't follow the manga, can one more informed otaku tell me if there's any manga storyline left to give us hope for a second season? I would love it if we could get more Nodame and Chiaki. . .
mangafanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 14:07   Link #1045
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangafanatic View Post
Since I don't follow the manga, can one more informed otaku tell me if there's any manga storyline left to give us hope for a second season? I would love it if we could get more Nodame and Chiaki. . .
I believe someone else mentioned that the anime only covers the first 8-9(?) volumes of the ongoing manga, which is already up to volume 17 in Japan.
mdauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 14:20   Link #1046
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
Great stuff.

Every episode was a delight, hope that a new season will arise in the future.
ragnarokr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 14:23   Link #1047
Kinku
Hate a Hater.Love a Lover

Send a message via MSN to Kinku
i think they should leave the series as it is...it was just perfect how the ending was and really it ties things all togather. i read manga beyond the anime series and yea it does add much more materials for second season but doesnt have impact to keep me interested anymore. All togather Nodame cantabile was a great drama/comdey anime which well be one the top anime in my list now
Kinku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 17:10   Link #1048
Teletha

I disagree that the manga doesn't have anymore to add. To me it just gets better. Their relationship grows a lot. They both grow. We get new great characters. A few come back later on.... If they faithfully follow the manga like they did there is no way it could be bad. I only worry that there is no real stopping place right now going on in the manga.

Maybe since I was reading the manga this morning I really want a second season. I would love to see these scenes animated. The first season doesn't need it, but I don't think it was so conclusive that there is nothing you could possibly add to their story.
Teletha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 23:53   Link #1049
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

They arent a couple yet, thats just another of the many nodame misinterpretations

They're closer to being a couple that Chiaki and Sayako ever were, but they arent there yet, since Chiaki is still to focuused on his music at the mo
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-07, 00:15   Link #1050
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
They arent a couple yet, thats just another of the many nodame misinterpretations
That depends on if you believe that Chiaki's interpretation is more accurate then Nodame's. Personally if it comes to other people and relationships, I'll go for Nodame, as Chiaki just hasn't realised it yet

Nodame is a genius and like most geniuses she is misunderstood. Just wait a few hundred years and everyone will be worshipping the Puri Gorata way of life and saying gyaboooooooo
Old 2007-07-07, 00:28   Link #1051
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Mononoke extends the three-episode sequence at the end of Ayakashi Ayashi, called "Bakeneko." I suggest you take a look at Bakeneko if you haven't. You might change your mind.
Maybe I will , Lois. Maybe I will.

But seriously, since I have the fellow-Nodame-Cantabile-fan recommendation, then I suppose it's worth taking a look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Nodame is a genius
Talented yes, but isn't "genius" a bit of a stretch?

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-07, 00:42   Link #1052
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

I agree, neither Chiaki nor Nodame are geniuses, they got where they were through hard work and talent. Chiaki himself says he sucked at piano and only became as good as he is by hard work.

Nodame could be considered a genius in the way her ears work, in that she can listen to a piece of music once and repeate it almost fully. However her piano ability came through hard work.

Chiaki isnt interested in relationships at the moment, he's focuses fully on his music. Its clear he does have feelings for her (he admits it himself),, but he wont allow them to get in the way of his music. At the moment he considers her to be a very close friend, but not GF or a lover. I'm not sure if nodame really loves him or not, everything about the way she acted through the anime anbd the manga was more of a crush than love. They need to develop their relationship more before it can be really considered love. And nodame needs to listen to Chiaki more, at the moment she's to one sided.
Old 2007-07-07, 01:20   Link #1053
grey_moon

What? A person who can listen to a piece a few times and play it back is not >>> then just talented?

Chiaki has said that he worked until it was throwing up blood, Nodame mastered some very hard pieces in just a few days....

Remember what they keep saying about competitions, its all about accuracy and understanding of the piece and granted Nodame failed on two of them, but the ones she did well on she learnt in a very short time.

*Edit*
Must read all the posts before replying... Mine was aimed at Theowne
Old 2007-07-07, 01:50   Link #1054
blue^
ステージの端のピアニスト

If one can replay Petrushka by Stravinsky to the level that impresses hundreds of discerning people after listening to a recording just once and studying the score for half a day, no, forget that, maybe four or five hours at most, she is a genius. Period.

Eugene
blue^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-07, 03:18   Link #1055
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Your misunderstanding Nodame's ability. She has the ability to memorise music by listening to it, memorising and playing are two seperate things. Like everyone else she had to learn to play the piano.

Thats why her playing is off at times.

She is a genius, just not of the piano (didnt i already say that??)

I also happen to know someone who can read a piece of music once and then play it perfectly on the flute. She has a near photographic memory and can memorise anything once. However she had to learn to play the flute, nodame is the same, only she does it with her ears.
Old 2007-07-07, 03:44   Link #1056
grey_moon

errr playing the piano at a high level involves memorising the piece, interpretation of the piece as well as ability to plonk the keys in the right order. Nodame was born with a lot of the attributes required for being a high level pianist, the size of her hands for example. But the genius part about her and playing a piano is in a very short time span her ability to reproduce the whole package at a level it impresses judges of a high level competition. Normal people even talented ones can't do that.

My fiance is a pianist and unlike Nodame she is a sight reader, one of her colleagues is like Nodame and can memorise a piece after listening to it a few times. This thing is she trounces on him every time in a competition or exam as her overall piece is better then his.
Old 2007-07-07, 03:53   Link #1057
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

*sighs* Nodame is not a genius with the piano, like everyone else she struggled at first. If you havent i suggest you go read the manga, since it'll help you understand why she isnt a genius when it comes to the piano.

To call nodame a genius you my aswell call Chiaki a genius, since he surpassed nodame in year or so. Remember he admited that he could barely play the piano when he arrived, but he's now the top player in the school. He isnt a genius, he just worked hard.
Old 2007-07-07, 05:59   Link #1058
grey_moon

Isn't this the anime thread? But if we are going to use other genre's then the live action says she is a genius... I'm going by what I guess you believe a genius is, someone who can just pick something up without any effort at all, like they were preloaded with it from birth. Geeeezzz even Steven Hawkings needed to study the basics, and I'll peg him at above talented going on genius.
Old 2007-07-07, 06:15   Link #1059
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Actually the anime and manga are almost identical, they just left a few things out of the anime. The LA was all over the place.

Your misunderstanding EVERYTHING ive said, please reread it all. Nodame is a genius, just not of the piano. If she was a genius of the piano she'd be able to reproduce it all perfectly, however she dosent. She is extremely talented, just as Chiaki is, but neither are geniuses of the Piano.

Motzart was a genius, Nodame and Chiaki are just talanted
Old 2007-07-07, 09:16   Link #1060
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Finally managed to finish this after some delay.

Overall, this was a good show on par with Honey & Clover, with great characters and endless comedy in every episode. Though I'd say H&C has the edge in terms of insert songs (I'm not really a fan of classic).

The most interesting character is of course the title character Nodame, performance flawlessly by the ever impecabble Kawasumi Ayako. In terms of eccentricity, Nodame can match Morita of H&C in that department. She is well accompanied by the down-to-earth (literally) genius Chiaki, with Seki Tomokazu also doing a good job.

(I find it interesting that Kawasumi and Seki always seem to be in opposite relationship roles with each other lately, from Fate/Stay night to Kanon. )

Other characters like Mine and Masumi also provide for good support. The biggest surprise for me is Mine and Kiyora getting together so well once the Rising Star Orchestra was formed, because before that, these two barely knew each other.

The series ended on a good note, leaving room for a second series, where Nodame and Chiaki would develop their reputation and relationship in Paris. I have faith that director Kasai Kenichi would proceed to make a second series that is just as good as the first, as he has done with H&C2.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, nodame cantabile, noitamina, romance