AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-12, 07:23   Link #1
Spongy

Stylish Violence.

Hey everyone, I am looking for an anime to watch which has stylish violence or action. A great example of this would be Afro Samurai!!

Great Soundtrack and Stylish angles

I haven't really watched much anime in this category so I'm free for any suggestions!

Thanks in advance!
Old 2010-01-12, 07:52   Link #2
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Great soundtrack and stylish angles? One anime I could remember with both of that is Cowboy Bebop.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-01-12, 09:30   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm going to say Baccano! fits the bill perfectly here.
Old 2010-01-12, 12:25   Link #4
signorRossi

Second 'Cowboy Bebop', most arcs of 'Samurai Champloo' should fit too.
Old 2010-01-12, 15:09   Link #5
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by signorRossi View Post
most arcs of 'Samurai Champloo' should fit too.
Second that it should fit what he wants.
MAL
Old 2010-01-12, 17:52   Link #6
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Samurai Champloo is the obvious choice.
Old 2010-01-12, 23:26   Link #7
Boduar

Samurai Champloo probably wins but I would add Murder Princess as a close second. Murder Princess is rather short but its pretty much completely filled with good action scenes (picture of main good guys in my avatar).
Old 2010-01-13, 03:18   Link #8
Spongy

Thanks for the suggestions! Will try out all the mentioned ones.
Old 2010-01-13, 05:03   Link #9
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Great Soundtrack / Stylish action sequences / Well constructed and executed characters, than the show you are looking for is GunGrave . I could bother trying to sell Gungrave to you but this video is the best pitch . This anime overdoses on style as well substance : )

<Spoiler>

Old 2010-01-13, 06:37   Link #10
signorRossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post
Great Soundtrack / Stylish action sequences / Well constructed and executed characters, than the show you are looking for is GunGrave . I could bother trying to sell Gungrave to you but this video is the best pitch . This anime overdoses on style as well substance : )

<Spoiler>

I know it is not nice to play other recommendations down, but 'Gungrave' IMO is terribly overrated and ranks far, far below 'Cowboy Bebop' and far below 'Samurai Champloo'. IMO it the story is uninspired, the pacing is terrible, the fights are annoying and lack creativity and connecting emotionally to the characters is very difficult. Take the arc with the blind female Shamisen player in 'Samurai Champloo' as a counter-example, there you see what makes up a good fight/story.

Spoiler:

Last edited by signorRossi; 2010-01-13 at 06:49.
Old 2010-01-13, 16:37   Link #11
Godly_senselessness

Kara no Kyoukai fits the billl.
Old 2010-01-13, 17:18   Link #12
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Kara no Kyoukai. Beautiful artwork, very detailed and obviously high-budget. Excellent soundtrack from Yuki Kajiura/Kalafina. The fight scenes are very beautifully animated and seem to flow effortlessly across the screen, though fighting is not specifically the focus of these movies, there's quite a lot of it. Especially in Kara no Kyoukai #5: Paradox Spiral and Kara no Kyoukai #7: Murder Speculation (Second Half).

Darker than Black (first season) has a great soundtrack by Yoko Kanno of Cowboy Bebop fame, and has some extremely intense supernatural fight scenes. Both seasons are good, but season one is the best for action and music.

Black Lagoon, while not having the best music, does have extremely stylish gunfights, very reminiscent of a Quentin Tarantino film or the "heroic bloodshed" genre of Hong Kong action films. Artwork is likewise very good for a TV series.

Noir, while an older series and somewhat slow-paced, has extremely stylish gunfights (which seem a bit surreal due to the almost total absence of blood) and an excellent soundtrack by Yuki Kajiura.

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 has some of the best-animated fight scenes I've ever seen in a mecha series. The music is fitting to the subject matter, but somewhat forgettable (though the second OP, Ash Like Snow by The Brilliant Green, is excellent). I can seriously watch this series over and over again, all fifty episodes, just because the fight scenes are so well-done. The plot is pretty basic Gundam fare.
Old 2010-01-13, 18:42   Link #13
micheut

One that has a rather stylish environment is Basilisk. I didn't like the first episode because it was to stylish and violent. The violence stays but the story gets better, after a while I liked it.
Old 2010-01-13, 20:05   Link #14
JRendell
Manga Addict

Air Gear has an awesome soundtrack, yet only has a little bit of violence.
Old 2010-01-14, 04:31   Link #15
Albafica
Pisces no saint

I don't agree with you signorRossi, I think that Gungrave is a great anime! I prefer Gungrave than Cowboy Bebop and Champloo. I love the story, the pace, characters and fights!