AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-03-03, 16:36   Link #6081
ghost_zero5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Bernkastel View Post
nah, he probably didn't refer to his Higanbana project...[hopefully]. that doesn't count as a"when they cry" [after all, it's not like umineko, he didn't even give it the title "when they cry"+number (5, in this case) ]. I believe it's really just a side project like you said.
plus, i think he referred to a new *novel*, and higanbana is just a manga [and I believe it'll stay that way. don't think he plans to make a novel for it].
If it is a new When They Cry series novel, the other question is, if someone is going to translate it. After all, I guess the Witch-Hunt team would like a break...
ghost_zero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 22:55   Link #6082
Kishin
Hanyuu's #1 Fan

Well they would probably get one anyways wont they? I doubt Ryukishi could churn out something on the level of higurashi or umineko without significant planning. I only cami into them both after their initial launch so i cant compare higurashis end to uminekos beginning however I assume he gave himself time to build a framework, plus character design and backround and music preperation. If he can pull out a new series by next comiket he'd be much more than a literary god as with the whole 07th team
Old 2011-03-03, 23:26   Link #6083
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishin View Post
Well they would probably get one anyways wont they? I doubt Ryukishi could churn out something on the level of higurashi or umineko without significant planning. I only cami into them both after their initial launch so i cant compare higurashis end to uminekos beginning however I assume he gave himself time to build a framework, plus character design and backround and music preperation. If he can pull out a new series by next comiket he'd be much more than a literary god as with the whole 07th team
07th Expansion has only missed one Comiket since they released the first When They Cry game. Of course, they had Rei between Higurashi and Umineko, but that's all. Umi 1 come out a year after Higu 8.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 00:47   Link #6084
Kishin
Hanyuu's #1 Fan

well that is still half a year, though, shit Ryukishi.. take a vacation lol, well I guess I'd prefer him not to but I'm amazed he was able to lay the framework for umineko in that much time. He must have been planning it while still releasing higurashi
Old 2011-03-05, 07:26   Link #6085
ghost_zero5

It could also be that he already had plans for Umineko before Higurashi.
I always thought the When They Cry series is very well "planned", so maybe he has laid the groundwork for more than for Higurashi alone.

@chronotrig:
In the case there should be another When They Cry series, do you have any plans do translate that one.
I mean you don't have to start immediately but could take a break and start half a year later or so...

Btw. is the compatibility patch still planned for this week?
ghost_zero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 11:42   Link #6086
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_zero5 View Post
Btw. is the compatibility patch still planned for this week?
If you mean an EP7 patch compatible with EP8, I tried the latest EP7 patch and it works.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 12:31   Link #6087
Zero Sora

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
If you mean an EP7 patch compatible with EP8, I tried the latest EP7 patch and it works.
It may work for you, but for some of us it doesn't work.
Zero Sora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 12:40   Link #6088
naikou
Slashy Slashy!

Wow, I didn't know there was only a year between Higurashi and Umineko.

I guess Ryukishi never gets writer's block, and never has to rewrite his work. That's amazing.
naikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 12:57   Link #6089
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Didn't he say he spent about a month writing Ep. 8? (And he also had time to write Ookamikakushi and work on Rewrite along the way.)
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 15:27   Link #6090
legomaple

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
Didn't he say he spent about a month writing Ep. 8? (And he also had time to write Ookamikakushi and work on Rewrite along the way.)
something i read on here before, but he might have wrote down the story of umineko in basics somewhere, and is just thinking stuff around it.
legomaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 16:25   Link #6091
Golden Bug-Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by legomaple View Post
something i read on here before, but he might have wrote down the story of umineko in basics somewhere, and is just thinking stuff around it.
I really hope that's right. If he hasn't, and he's just making crap up as he goes along, ep 6 is pretty brutal about the treatment of writers with continuity errors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROSORA
It may work for you, but for some of us it doesn't work.
I wasn't able to make the windows patch work for me, but if you take the "other" patch and follow the old directions about changing language settings and stuff to install the original disc, then drop in the folders from that patch, it should work. Or maybe you tried that and it screwed up that way too?
Golden Bug-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 05:37   Link #6092
legomaple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Bug-Hunter View Post
I really hope that's right. If he hasn't, and he's just making crap up as he goes along, ep 6 is pretty brutal about the treatment of writers with continuity errors.
Well, Ryukishi does like to input alot of fake hints in his game. He said that himself in the higurashi manga's. Only 1 actual key to solving the mystery. The continuity errors were probably his biggest problems. Seeing that he did solve those is pretty impressive in a month(or a few) time.
Old 2011-03-06, 07:22   Link #6093
VladD

Technically, Ryukishi handled the Umineko episodes pretty well(except the 8-th, that I haven't read yet). The whole part about the parallel universes was pretty good, because it acted as a failsafe for the differences between the episodes, without causing "logic errors", as he likes to call them.

Also, about his writing speed, it is nothing amazing, he is a professional author. Besides food, sleep and the occasional tour, he has plenty of time to write. And not all the things he writes are new. It is essentially the same story, told (and retold) from different viewpoints. There is only a single true story, and only a bit of it is revealed in each episode. The rest of the episode is comprised of making up a soft layer of magic and mystery.

As Jim Butcher said (the author of the Dresden Files), most of the fantasy stories are the same, the underdog protagonist gathers his merry bunch of wizards or hobbits or knights and goes on an adventure to stop something evil/save someone. The finer details comprise of 30 % of random conversations about food or weather, and 70 % explaining an environment like a forest or a mountain, or a lake. It's similar with detective stories. 10 different types of characters, 20 types of backgrounds, 1 or several killers, few love stories. Make a random permutation of people with roles and places and you have a story.

For proof, look at the scene where Maria lost her rose, and people went into the storm to look after her. Repetition much?

Also, about the coding problems, am I getting this right - there is a choice somewhere in the game, and it proceeds in a ridiculous non linear form - like an if (choice == yes) print this; else print something else. Except this goes on for the entire story., and there are multiple choices?
VladD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 10:52   Link #6094
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

There are multiple optional short scenes that can play or not depending on what you choose. Excluding a single instance the story still follows a single continuity.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 11:01   Link #6095
Leafsnail

Hey, at least there'll be a use for the 40 save slots this time around...
Leafsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 04:48   Link #6096
legomaple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsnail View Post
Hey, at least there'll be a use for the 40 save slots this time around...
problen then is to discover which save slot you wereXD
Old 2011-03-07, 19:08   Link #6097
Madman6510
Child of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by legomaple View Post
problen then is to discover which save slot you wereXD
If you play enough visual novels, you make your own system for figuring that out XD
Madman6510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-08, 06:43   Link #6098
VladD

Or you study computer engineering and apply breadth first search or depth first search without thinking.
VladD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-08, 07:21   Link #6099
legomaple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman6510 View Post
If you play enough visual novels, you make your own system for figuring that out XD
this is the first VN i play, I'm also reading Clannad, but that is the first one I read with choices. So it is going to be confusing for meXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladD View Post
Or you study computer engineering and apply breadth first search or depth first search without thinking.
hmm, I do study ICT, but not thatXD
Old 2011-03-08, 07:24   Link #6100
Vampe
Otaku Witch of Ubuntu

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladD View Post
i prefear binary search, but if i whanted to apply it to save files whitout making a program that hacks the save files for information, i would have to know what date i saved the file im looking for :P
Vampe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation