AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2019-02-01, 13:58   Link #1
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

AnimeSuki Choice Award Winners 2018

Winners of the 2018 AnimeSuki Choice Awards!

A massive thanks for those that participated and as always, big thanks to felix for his voting and counting scripts (and all the lovely banners).

Feel free to give feedback.

-{A1}- [Best Storyline & Plot] 29 users voted, 8 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

-{A2}- [Best Visuals & Animation] 32 users voted, 9 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{B1}- [Best Action-Adventure] 31 users voted, 7 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{B2}- [Best Fantasy & Supernatural] 32 users voted, 9 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{B3}- [Best Science Fiction] 28 users voted, 6 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{B4}- [Best Drama] 30 users voted, 6 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{B5}- [Best Romance] 29 users voted, 6 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{B6}- [Best Comedy] 26 users voted, 7 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{B7}- [Best Slice of Life] 29 users voted, 7 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{B8}- [Best Sports Series] 24 users voted, 8 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{C1}- [Best TV Series] 29 users voted, 6 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{C2}- [Best OVA] 22 users voted, 8 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{C3}- [Best Movie] 24 users voted, 6 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{D1}- [Best Female Lead] 32 users voted, 9 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{D2}- [Best Male Lead] 28 users voted, 6 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{D3}- [Best Antagonist] 27 users voted, 6 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{D4}- [Best Side-Character] 29 users voted, 9 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{D5}- [Best World Setting] 30 users voted, 9 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{D6}- [Best Credits Theme] 29 users voted, 9 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{D7}- [Best Soundtrack] 26 users voted, 7 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{X1}- [Best Ongoing Series] 29 users voted, 9 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{X2}- [Best Ending] 24 users voted, 9 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{X3}- [Best Voice Actor] 24 users voted, 9 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{X4}- [Best Producer-san] 25 users voted, 9 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{X5}- [Best Cinematography] 27 users voted, 7 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{X6}- [Best Cast] 29 users voted, 9 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results

-{X7}- [Best Thriller] 23 users voted, 9 entries chosen

TL;DR…
Results
Previous Winners:
2017 Winners
2016 Winners
2015 Winners
2014 Winners
2013 Winners
2012 Winners
2011 Winners
2010 Winners
2009 Winners
2008 Winners
2007 Winners

Last edited by Haak; 2019-02-01 at 17:15.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-01, 14:21   Link #2
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Almost none of the winner images are showing up for me fyi. Image not found is showing up instead.

Thank you for running this.
Old 2019-02-01, 14:31   Link #3
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Almost none of the winner images are showing up for me fyi. Image not found is showing up instead.
eeeeeerrrrrrrrmmmmm

Before I begin a very long and tedious process, is anyone else having the same issue?
Old 2019-02-01, 14:37   Link #4
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

For the record, images for B3, D2, D5, X2, X4 and X5 were showing up. The rest weren't.
Old 2019-02-01, 14:51   Link #5
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
eeeeeerrrrrrrrmmmmm

Before I begin a very long and tedious process, is anyone else having the same issue?
Same issue here

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-01, 14:58   Link #6
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Yuo. The same for me, only B3, D2, D5, X2, X4 and X5 are showing.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-01, 15:18   Link #7
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Regarding the image issue: We'll re-upload them to imgur. It will take a while, sorry.

Anyway. Let us know if you liked any of the X categories, or if there's any different ones you want to see. Next year we're definitely dialing it back in the number of extra categories and nominees going though (it's a bit too much work sadly). We've done some analysis and think the current rules may be just too much for certain categories (just doesn't make a difference). We think 5-6 (max) is enough for most (especially ones where you just vote a series), and we may allow certain categories to have more were voters are more divided or uncertain (due to unique criteria involved).

-

For anyone interested you can see the log of how the vote moved here: https://pastebin.com/raw/uQVjeTfd

I've limited it to just the #1 spot so it's easier to read.

Summary
  • For A1, 3-gatsu no Lion was the runner up. It eventually lost by 1 vote, however out of the 11 people who supported it as the winner 6 also voted for Sora yori mo Tooi Basho somewhere in their rankings.

• For A2, Violet Evergarden won decisively. A lot of people support Mahoutsukai no Yome (closest runner up) but the overwhelming majority voted for Violet Evergarden as having the best visuals. Mahoutsukai no Yome still stomped everyone in B2 (fantasy), so it's far from unloved.

• Speaking of stomps, B3 got dominated by Planet With; nobody came close. Guess I need to watch it now.

• Unsurprisingly 3-gatsu no Lion and Sora yori mo Tooi Basho butted heads in D4 (drama). This time 3-gatsu no Lion won by 3 votes (13 vs 10) and 3 people on the opposition also liked it.

• For B5 best romance After the Rain beat Rascal does not dream of Monogatari by a healthy margin.

• Sora yori mo Tooi Basho was runner up for C1 (best tv), lost by one vote. A reversal to what happened in A1.

• As everyone can see in the results Golden Kamuy just cleaned house in the character section (D1, D2, D3). While Asirpa was pretty much unstoppable we could have actually had a tie with Sakuta on Male lead and tie with Akane from SSSS.Gridman on Antagonist. Was off by just one vote and two votes respectively.

• For a long while we actually had Anzu & Hitomi tied Best Side-Character. Strangely appropriate for something like this to happen for Hinamatsuri.

• If you look at the results that show everythings placement you might think that that in X2 (best ending) 3-gatsu no Lion wasn't very high up. But it was actually the contender for first place! (yet again, lol) This is actually a category where the spoiler effect the new voting system is preventing is very obvious in effect, round 1 Devilman: Crybaby was actually the winner, but was overtaken (by a lot) once "not-winners" entries that divided the majority of the voters were eliminated.

• Yagate Kimi ni Naru was actually the runner up for X5 (best cinematography). Unfortunately lost. You might notice that it's actually 4th in the ranking for X5, that's because (unfortunately) in a world with out Vilet Evergarden the majority still had few other options to lean towards. Too bad.

• Attack on Titan lost by 1 vote to Kokkoku in X7 (best thriller).

A pity Zombieland Saga didn't win anything. To me it still will be the most fun series of 2018.

Given the constant love 3-gatsu no Lion is getting year after year seems I just have to watch it just to be in the know now. FOMO strikes again.
Old 2019-02-01, 15:36   Link #8
Dextro
He Without a Title

I'm actually surprised that Bunny Girl Senpai didn't win absolutely anything. I was expecting at least to get an ensemble award or something but I guess I completely missed all the good stuff this year since I haven't watched most of the winners.
Old 2019-02-01, 15:55   Link #9
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Congrats to the winners. Escpacially glad that Slime achieved victory for ongoing (X1).

BTW, I can see all but one image just fine. The one that's missing is Kaede Hondo from Best Voice Actor (X3).

And Haak, I completely forgot, but F/SN:HF wasn't egliable for the nomination (ongoing/X1) for some reason, despite us having PMed each other about it... I thought we agreed that it should be egliable in the end?
Though it's not like I'd have let it win that category anyway...

But ignore my nitpicking. I am really glad you guys made this happen again this year despite forums being on decline in the social media age and all that. This AS Choice Award really shows that this forum is still alive and has plenty of regulars around. Thank you very much.
Old 2019-02-01, 16:59   Link #10
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
BTW, I can see all but one image just fine. The one that's missing is Kaede Hondo from Best Voice Actor (X3).
I already sent Haak an updated version of the post, he'll update it when he checks back in. It's really strange there's an issue with vgy.me I've always seen images from it (it's whats used for the images in the vote phase).

Or is it you guys never saw the images in the vote phase?

In the past I would always use imgur for winners and haak used vgy.me for vote phase images. Since didn't see a problem with it, switched to it for winner banners for this year. Odd we would get problems with it now.
Old 2019-02-01, 17:34   Link #11
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Okay, imgur versions are up. Hopefully everyone can see them now. XP

I'm also wondering if everyone was able to see the pictures in the Nomination Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
And Haak, I completely forgot, but F/SN:HF wasn't egliable for the nomination (ongoing/X1) for some reason, despite us having PMed each other about it... I thought we agreed that it should be egliable in the end?
Though it's not like I'd have let it win that category anyway...
Did somebody tell you that it wasn't eligible for the X1 category? I'm sorry if there was still any confusing but the Heaven's Feel movie series was absolutely eligible for the Ongoing Series category.
Old 2019-02-01, 19:48   Link #12
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quite happy with the result. Most spots are taken by anime that deserve it. And thank god Liz managed to tie with NGNL Zero in the Best Movie category.

I'm so glad that Gundam: The Origin actually managed to be recognized at least for Best OVA. I voted in the awards fully prepared for it to get nothing at all. It's arguably one of the best Sci-fi in the last ten years or so. But it's hindered by being an OVA serial and a prequel of the long UC Gundam saga that made people reluctant to give it a try. Also shout out to Space Battleship Yamato-fans who can't seem to catch a break even though the recent Yamato reboot is excellent. I'm not really a Yamato-fan but I feel for them coz I also really enjoy the reboot.

As for Captain Tsubasa & Kitaro, I'm grateful that they were nominated at all. At least that gave me the joy of being able to vote for them .

Thanks very much to Haak & Felix for running the show all this time. It's always an annual delight.
Old 2019-02-01, 19:48   Link #13
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Some good winners there, but I'm happiest to see Koi wa Ameagari win for best soundtrack. That's probably the biggest curb stomp of the year for me in any category.

Thanks again for all the hard work you guys put in on this. Much appreciated.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-01, 23:36   Link #14
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

I'm satisfied with the results. I tell you, there are very few anime that are so good, you're worried that they can't stay good.
But it stayed good all the way to the end. It was just that good. And I was very happy when it turned out so.
Yeah, I'm talking about Sora yori Tooi Basho de.

Thanks to the organizers of the Animesuki Awards!

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-02, 01:47   Link #15
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I didn't participate in the voting because I had seen way too few anime in 2018, but I will use this thread as a reference when considering what to watch later on. Thanks to everyone who hosted and participated in these choice awards, it's interesting to see AS's opinion on the anime of last year!
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-02, 05:29   Link #16
Dawnstorm

Congrats to the winners, and a big thanks to the organisers who made nominating and voting as easy at is possible could be. A great example is the voice actor category, where the compilation of the major roles they played really gave me a good overview over the range these voice actors delivered (when nominating I went by standout perfomrance first, and the corrected for over-all effort; when voting I won't mostly by balance and versatility, but also by shameless favouritism as a corrective).

About pictures: I can all the images in this thread, and back when I voted I could see all the images in the voting thread (I think), however some of the images in the voting thread seem to have disappeared for me (for example, Inori Minase's first role, which was definitely there when I voted, since I used those images extensively while voting).

About the results: I'm fairly happy with the results. What I feel most strongly about is that I think <i>Bloom Into You</i> should have won best cinematography, while Violet Evergarden was great in selected episodes, but on balance seemed to put polish over creativity.

About nominating and voting: I had huge troubles voting for and nominating best soundtrack this year: generally, the best soundtracks are either the ones I don't notice because they support the scenes so well, or the ones that stand out like an extra character. The former are hard to remember, and there was very little of the latter for me this year. I can't remember the soundtrack of <i>After the Rain</i> at all, but I do have a vague feeling that it deserves the win (which is a weird feeling to have, as if I appreaciate the soundtrack somewhere unconsciously?).

As I get older, I find it harder and harder to vote in the character categories, as I tend to get overwhelmed by the sheer mass of what's there, and it's often hard to balance characters against each other that fill completely different roles in a completely different shows. I think the trend is that in earlier years favouritism and just having fun voting made up for that, but as I grow older I don't feel as strongly about the characters while I'm not watching the show.

The new categories were fun. I'm especially happy to have a voice actor category. Initially, I wished we were awarding them for a standout performence (because those are easier to nominate than overall performance), but you guys did a really great job making it easier in the voting phase. The one character I didn't quite get into was "best producer san". It's so broad and hampered by my sketchy understanding of the production process that I was a little bewildered during the nomination phase, fine during the voting phase, and surpringly uninvested in the outcome.

I had fun this year, so if we're doing an award next year, I'll look forward to participating again, and if not this was a great way to send off the award. Thanks for all the effort you put in: it really paid off!
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-02, 07:25   Link #17
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
The one character I didn't quite get into was "best producer san". It's so broad and hampered by my sketchy understanding of the production process that I was a little bewildered during the nomination phase, fine during the voting phase, and surpringly uninvested in the outcome.
Initially we had it as a "vote for the person" similar to VA, however it became problematic once we were testing it out (making our own posts before-hand) so we changed it to position instead. It's much easier to vote for the position, and this worked out as well as it could have given the circumstances. Well, we can at least say we did it (once). Sadly it's very unlikely we'll repeat it. It's somewhat nebulous and hard to vote for.

In hindsight it would have probably been better to just do "Best Director" and have it as a simple series pick, since that's what it kind of turned into for the most part. Which is unfortunate.

Quote:
The new categories were fun. I'm especially happy to have a voice actor category. Initially, I wished we were awarding them for a standout performence (because those are easier to nominate than overall performance), but you guys did a really great job making it easier in the voting phase.
With regard with VA, I'm not against bringing it back if more people actually liked it. I liked it, but not sure what the temperature in the room is on it.

We're unlikely to change the format to be Male / Female though or make it per individual performance. Main reason against individual performance would be that it splits the votes, so the VA liked by the majority might just end up fragmented across roles, and it would also be quite silly if we end up with something like multiple spots taken up by the same VA. Overall I think it's pretty fair as-is (I also don't want to get into females playing male roles and other problem areas).

Quote:
I had fun this year, so if we're doing an award next year, I'll look forward to participating again, and if not this was a great way to send off the award. Thanks for all the effort you put in: it really paid off!
Thanks! We'll probably have one. It's not a definite thing because we depend on various external factors; we tend to get screwed somehow every 2nd year (this year we just happen to get extra screwed, but still made it). Like I mentioned earlier we'll very likely tone it down, it wasn't our intention to have so many categories with 9 nominees, miscalculation on our part (it's a bit of a problem since by itself it more then doubles the work, even with out adding the stuff in X).
Old 2019-02-02, 07:28   Link #18
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

Either this was a really, really weak year with only garbage tier anime that I don't even want to watch or the taste of this community is just plain weird. Haven't watched much yet, since the BDs aren't all out yet, so I'll have to wait and see.
Old 2019-02-02, 07:52   Link #19
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0cean View Post
Either this was a really, really weak year with only garbage tier anime that I don't even want to watch or the taste of this community is just plain weird. Haven't watched much yet, since the BDs aren't all out yet, so I'll have to wait and see.
I don't want to accidentally steer the discussion into some quality war, but I did hear a way to describe this year that I found interesting and agreeable recently.

Paraphrasing...
According to Gigguk, 2018 was a year with a lot of good anime (more then previous years), and everyone can definitely find at least one or two shows in it to enjoy. A year of the industry (netflix in particular) flexing their muscle to just crank out shows for the masses. But it was also a year of nothing being special, no rockstars that people will still remember in 3 years time (like we still remember Code Geass, Fate, Death Note, Madoka, etc). A year for the mainstream.

I don't quite agree with it (mainly because of shows like Zombieland Saga) but I can't really disagree with it either. Which is better, a bottomless well or a well with a single nugget of gold at the bottom? this will likely depend on each individual, and there's no right or wrong answer. We can only hope to get lucky and have years with both.
Old 2019-02-02, 09:59   Link #20
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm very happy with the results. Only thing that's a bummer for me is that Bloom into you didn't win anything.

Thanks a lot for organizing this, as usual. As for new categories I'd want to stay, definitely best voice actor. For the record, I didn't vote for HanaKana out of fanboyism (well, probably a bit actually), but because she had two outstanding roles this year which were Shirase and Hinata.