AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-04-13, 16:29   Link #1
mangafanatic

Romeo X Juliet: I can only see the subtitles in the opening and the OP!!

So, I'm curious if anyone is having this problem or if there's an obvious fix for it. So-- I downloaded the umai version of Romeo and Juliet episode 1 from a direct download site and when I try to view it, the only English subs I see are the opening credit and the song. I'm trying to view it in VLC Media Plater. What's going on!? Does anybody have idea what I'm doing wrong?
Old 2007-04-13, 17:44   Link #2
monster

It has softsub, read this.
Old 2007-04-13, 20:09   Link #3
Double_Edge
Cool Lander

Yeah, meaning that you can switch the subtitles on and off. If you dont want to get the cpp codec or whatever just play it on VLC and on the top toolbar go to:
video>subtitles track>then choose english.

Although the font wont be "pretty" so just get the combined community codec pack.
Old 2007-04-15, 11:42   Link #4
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

VLC can't handle our (Umai, that is) typesetting styles so it's advisable not to use that (I've heard it screws up the TL note royally). The best thing to do is to download CCCP codec pack and use Media Player Classic (it's included in the install). If you have any problems after that, come to the #Umai rizon chan and we'll see if we can help out
Old 2007-04-15, 14:21   Link #5
shiro83

VLC is known to have problems with subtitles.
It is best to check out the Playback Help here:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=34910
Old 2007-04-18, 15:43   Link #6
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
VLC can't handle our (Umai, that is) typesetting styles so it's advisable not to use that (I've heard it screws up the TL note royally). The best thing to do is to download CCCP codec pack and use Media Player Classic (it's included in the install). If you have any problems after that, come to the #Umai rizon chan and we'll see if we can help out
Making a version that isn't a total bitch to play on platforms other than Windows would be nice. Just a thought.
Old 2007-04-18, 15:54   Link #7
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by killmoms View Post
Making a version that isn't a total bitch to play on platforms other than Windows would be nice. Just a thought.
Use mplayer, it even has the fluffy subtitle support.
Old 2007-04-18, 16:47   Link #8
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

The OS X port of mplayer with fluffy subtitle support is semi-broken. Subs muxed into MKVs show up 1.5 - 2 seconds before they're supposed to, and the sub delay feature does nothing to fix the problem. I have to demux them with MKVToolnix and then reference the external, demuxed subs to get mplayer to play them properly.

Like I said... total bitch to play.
Old 2007-04-18, 16:53   Link #9
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by killmoms View Post
The OS X port of mplayer with fluffy subtitle support is semi-broken. Subs muxed into MKVs show up 1.5 - 2 seconds before they're supposed to, and the sub delay feature does nothing to fix the problem. I have to demux them with MKVToolnix and then reference the external, demuxed subs to get mplayer to play them properly.

Like I said... total bitch to play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=31445
WARNING! Don't use the version of Mplayer (also called MPlayerOSX2) from Sourceforge! That is an old broken version that is no longer being updated as far as I can tell. Avoid it like the plague.
Using that by any chance?

People have been able to properly play those files on mplayer, so the problem should be on your end. I suggest you post in that thread for advice.
Old 2007-04-18, 16:56   Link #10
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

No, according to that thread he's using the 1.0rc1 official build, which AFAIK is not only compiled without fontconfig, but also apparently has an issue which sounds surprisingly like that ancient "negative delay on SRT subtitles in MKV's on Windows" issue. Which is why he should use the build in that thread and not the ancient official one. There IS a reason there's a special build, after all (and surprisingly, it's not really to bash stupid trolls over the head with, even though it can be used for that too, as I just demonstrated).
I guess he could also try -correct-pts, it may or may not fix anything.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2007-04-18, 16:59   Link #11
emptyeighty

Ah, should have read that first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
I guess he could also try -correct-pts, it may or may not fix anything.
-correct-pts fixes 1-2 frame lags, not 1-2 second lags.
Old 2007-04-18, 17:14   Link #12
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

I was just taking a shot in the dark. It DOES change timestamp calculation, so there's an off chance that it might fix it. On Windows the issue is apparently fixed by using -ao win32, for some bizarre reason, but that obviously would not apply on a Mac.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read