Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-30, 11:30   Link #1
TidusBlade
西瓜の騎士

Any anime with characters like Ippo?

Was looking around for any good anime with the lead character someone like Ippo from Hajime no Ippo. I would look for any good sports anime but I'm not that into them. I didn't even think I'd like boxing, but now it's one my favourites. The only other anime I found that fit the bill was History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, and what I probably liked most about both was the determined main character. More so in Ippo, every time he won a match it actually felt he did it out of sheer will and not with the help of the writers overpowering him.

It doesn't need to be martial arts related but I'm guessing it's more or less sports related, the only other character close to Ippo I would say is Luffy from One Piece, so anything along those lines as well

Spoiler for Here's a list of what I've watched just in case.:

Just realized how much anime this might cover xD Anyways, thanks in advance ^^
Old 2010-05-30, 13:14   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Sounds like you're looking for the Determinator type.

I recommend To Aru Majutsu no Index. I also recommend Summer Wars because the main lead pulls off that kind of feeling at the end.
Old 2010-05-30, 15:08   Link #3
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Ashita no Joe is basically Ippo of the 70's.
Old 2010-05-30, 15:28   Link #4
kakakka

Quote:
I would look for any good sports anime but I'm not that into them. I didn't even think I'd like boxing, but now it's one my favourites.
If you want the same feelings as this...

Eyeshield 21? (American Football)

The techniques were a bit stretched for shounen, but Hajime ni Ippo is the same, so I think this might fit.
Old 2010-05-31, 03:53   Link #5
Godly_senselessness

Berserk is the one you want.Gatts will NOT flinch NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2010-05-31, 06:34   Link #6
janipani

Ippo... omg. That character is even more gay that Sasuke and Naruto combined. Okay, he is quite cool while boxing, but arghh... otherwhile he is making me feel ill. Wihtout supporting characters that series would be awful pain.

That guy is even worse with women than I am. That manga has stopped character developement years ago.

-Best anime was made in 80s-
Old 2010-05-31, 06:53   Link #7
TidusBlade
西瓜の騎士

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Sounds like you're looking for the Determinator type.

I recommend To Aru Majutsu no Index. I also recommend Summer Wars because the main lead pulls off that kind of feeling at the end.
Damn you for linking to tvTropes lol, just spent 20 minutes browsing the place But yeah, the trope has it nailed pretty much.

Anyways, thanks for the recs, To Aru looks a bit off my interests but I'll give the first few episodes a try. Heard a lot of Summer Wars, but only the game lol but it's only a movie so I'll check it out soon, description sounds pretty interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Ashita no Joe is basically Ippo of the 70's.
Oh nice, sounds a lot like Ippo, will definitely check it out soon. Plus, it'll end up being the oldest anime I watched Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakakka View Post
Eyeshield 21? (American Football)
Yeah I was thinking of picking Eyeshield up but I sort of hate American Football lol, but I guess it can't hurt to at least try the first few episodes, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godly_senselessness View Post
Berserk is the one you want.Gatts will NOT flinch NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol sounds like what I'm looking for, I stalled on Berserk ep 4 or 5 a long time ago, forgot why but it wasn't bad, guess this'll motivate me to pick it up again, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janipani View Post
Ippo... omg. That character is even more gay that Sasuke and Naruto combined. Okay, he is quite cool while boxing, but arghh... otherwhile he is making me feel ill. Wihtout supporting characters that series would be awful pain.

That guy is even worse with women than I am. That manga has stopped character developement years ago.
Yeah I do somwhat agree but since I've only watched the anime I still think he's pretty well developed and I just see his awkwardness with women as good humour. There's tons of development in the original series and I feel he's what made the series so awesome, well not by himself obviously but he plays the biggest role. Takamura in New Challenger was epic enough by himself though. Anyways, thanks for the suggestion?
Old 2010-05-31, 16:00   Link #8
janipani

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidusBlade View Post
Yeah I do somwhat agree but since I've only watched the anime I still think he's pretty well developed and I just see his awkwardness with women as good humour. There's tons of development in the original series and I feel he's what made the series so awesome, well not by himself obviously but he plays the biggest role. Takamura in New Challenger was epic enough by himself though. Anyways, thanks for the suggestion?
So you don't count Naruto Sasuke combination as suggestion? Ok.. that's fair.

I don't have an other Ippo for you, but try Grappler Baki. In many ways similar series, even though story in Baki is very weird compared to Ippo's realistic touch on sport and life. Baki is more about fighting than sport, but has arenas and matches, and best thing is, it introduces many fighting styles.

Old 2010-06-01, 06:18   Link #9
TidusBlade
西瓜の騎士

Quote:
Originally Posted by janipani View Post
So you don't count Naruto Sasuke combination as suggestion? Ok.. that's fair.

I don't have an other Ippo for you, but try Grappler Baki. In many ways similar series, even though story in Baki is very weird compared to Ippo's realistic touch on sport and life. Baki is more about fighting than sport, but has arenas and matches, and best thing is, it introduces many fighting styles.
Well, even if I count it as a suggestion, everyone I know has told me many times never to touch Naruto lol so I guess it's turned me off a lot. I'll probably pick up the first episode to *try* it sometime when I'm bored but anyways.

Grappler Baki looks sort of interesting, not really the part about non realistic fighting but matches between two fighters of different styles are always interesting to watch, I'll give it a try, thanks
Old 2010-06-01, 14:15   Link #10
janipani

^ Great. It's long time since I watched it myself. Tell me later how it worked for you.

Closed Thread

Tags
determined, ippo