AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-11-15, 20:58   Link #1121
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

So how do I play this exactly? I keep trying to git gud but still ends up doing badly
I have a couple of questions:
- What determines battle rank? Is it the total turn to accomplish?
- Why do sometimes my unit doesn't do any damage (like only depleting 1-10 of their hp)? Is it because I'm not in the range?
- What's the point of engineer and how do I utilize snipers?

;_;

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-15, 22:30   Link #1122
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
So how do I play this exactly? I keep trying to git gud but still ends up doing badly
I have a couple of questions:
- What determines battle rank? Is it the total turn to accomplish?
- Why do sometimes my unit doesn't do any damage (like only depleting 1-10 of their hp)? Is it because I'm not in the range?
- What's the point of engineer and how do I utilize snipers?

;_;
Yes, Battle Rank tends to be total turns. You are not told up front what the requirements are.

Not sure what you mean by the damage question.

Engineers can repair vehicles, remove mines, heal friendly infantry, and repair broken barricades. Those actions would preclude you from taking shots, but if you need them to, they act the same as scouts, essentially.

Snipers have very short movement ranges. You need to place them in the right spot to start and get them into position quickly. When you trigger their firing mode, you get a sniper scope view that you can zoom in and out. Aiming for the head, like with any class, causes more damage.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-15, 22:45   Link #1123
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by the damage question.
Simply put it's something like this. I had one enemy that got shot by my shocktrooper but my unit did literally no damage, and I was only shooting a scout/shocktrooper too. I can understand if I'm hitting a lancer but scout or shocktrooper?

Old 2014-11-15, 23:40   Link #1124
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Engineers can repair vehicles, remove mines, heal friendly infantry, and repair broken barricades. Those actions would preclude you from taking shots, but if you need them to, they act the same as scouts, essentially.
Don't forget that engineers can replenish ammo on the field, which is important if you want to utilize snipers and lancers a lot.

Though yes, the most important function of engineers is keeping the Edelweiss (and later the Shamrock) repaired.

Quote:
Simply put it's something like this. I had one enemy that got shot by my shocktrooper but my unit did literally no damage, and I was only shooting a scout/shocktrooper too. I can understand if I'm hitting a lancer but scout or shocktrooper?
Was the enemy crouching? Enemies crouched behind sandbags have their defenses boosted, even if you somehow flank them. You can do 3 things in this regard:

- Use the Attack Boost order on your unit and then aim for the head (least effective).
- Use a flamethrower, since it ignores defense. You need to get your Shocktroopers to Level 11 to have those though.
- Use a grenade.

The upside of course is that the same defensive boost applies to your own units, so they can take the same amount of punishment from enemy fire when crouched.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-15, 23:59   Link #1125
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
Was the enemy crouching? Enemies crouched behind sandbags have their defenses boosted, even if you somehow flank them. You can do 3 things in this regard:
IIRC he was standing because he's on the rooftop which doesn't have any sandbag.. I think I tried to hit him with my shocktrooper when I did almost no damage.

Old 2014-11-16, 00:23   Link #1126
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
IIRC he was standing because he's on the rooftop which doesn't have any sandbag.. I think I tried to hit him with my shocktrooper when I did almost no damage.
In that case, it's a question of height and range. Different weapons have different effective ranges, and machineguns have the worst damage drop off. Also, for some reason shooting at enemies at significantly higher places deals less damage.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2014-11-16, 00:26   Link #1127
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
For guys on rooftops, if you want to get him at range, use rifles or sniper rifles, and aim for the head of course. Snipers tend to be more useful after some leveling and weapon upgrades. You want your accuracy to be up the wazoo.

On engineers, repairing sandbags and disarming mines do not use up an action. You can do those in addition to

a) repairing a tank
b) heal someone
c) attack using grenades or the rifle
Old 2014-11-16, 04:06   Link #1128
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
ifferent weapons have different effective ranges, and machineguns have the worst damage drop off. Also, for some reason shooting at enemies at significantly higher places deals less damage.
I guess that makes sense.. I know that we can see maximum range on the menu but can we check it during battle? Like whether there's an indicator when I'm too far from my enemy or out of range?

Also just realized that we can use mouse to control the camera and targeting makes thing much more easier than switching around with wasd and directional keys

Old 2014-11-16, 06:09   Link #1129
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
I guess that makes sense.. I know that we can see maximum range on the menu but can we check it during battle? Like whether there's an indicator when I'm too far from my enemy or out of range?

Also just realized that we can use mouse to control the camera and targeting makes thing much more easier than switching around with wasd and directional keys
Hover the targeting cursor over an enemy's head (doesn't work if enemy's under cover or a boss). If you're too far away, the number of hits to kill for headshots should be very high (even "??")

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2014-11-16 at 06:44.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-16, 14:31   Link #1130
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

For some reason, the game can't recognize the rotation x and y axis for XBCD configured 360 controllers.

Anyway, for this playthrough (I got up to around the first desert mission on the PS3 version years ago), I'm going to give the English dub a shot, as I went solely with the Japanese audio the last time around.
Old 2014-11-16, 20:05   Link #1131
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
Hover the targeting cursor over an enemy's head (doesn't work if enemy's under cover or a boss). If you're too far away, the number of hits to kill for headshots should be very high (even "??")
Thanks for that, now I'm able to know how much damage I could give to my enemy.

Also just managed to beat chapter 7 hopefully there won't be anything like this after this ;_;

Old 2014-11-16, 20:52   Link #1132
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Don't forget that engineers can replenish ammo on the field, which is important if you want to utilize snipers and lancers a lot.

Though yes, the most important function of engineers is keeping the Edelweiss (and later the Shamrock) repaired.
Good call. Definitely a very important point for the Lancers. On some maps, you pretty much have to replenish them if you want to get an A rank.

Old 2014-11-16, 23:03   Link #1133
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Once you have the anti-armour orders, might be better to use shocks to destroy tanks.
Old 2014-11-16, 23:49   Link #1134
kasimmorathi

Using anti-armor orders, as mentioned above, can be more effective than trying to move a Lancer into position. One of my favorite tactics is to get a sniper into a nest of some kind and add a Demolition Order. You can knock out tanks from half way across the map, safe from their anti-personnel turrets or the covering fire of any nearby infantry.

You can use the same method for Scouts as well if there is no decent sniper nest, since they have tremendous move ranges they can sweep around behind tanks fairly well. Later on in the game, Shocktroopers can take out a tank radiator without needing any Orders at all.
kasimmorathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-16, 23:57   Link #1135
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Shocktrooper + Demolition order = tank rape. On the condition of course that they can get behind them.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-17, 02:24   Link #1136
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

One thing that I've found, and which Durante and his bros have apparently confirmed:

At FPS rates of 60 and higher, interception fire appears markedly more effective, and does a lot to mitigate scout rushing. I suspect that's because at 60 FPS everyone's shooting twice as fast. Certainly I note that I've been playing as though the game is running at 30 FPS like the PSP games.

Also the gun sounds seem oddly muted. Is there a patch or something for that?

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-17, 20:56   Link #1137
JagdPanther

I try to use orders as little as possible since I view them as costing more CP than they otherwise save by allowing units to do certain things.

Old 2014-11-17, 21:11   Link #1138
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I miss my little light tank of doom with the ridiculously accurate tank gun. *sighs*

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-18, 06:13   Link #1139
Xacual

Quote:
I try to use orders as little as possible since I view them as costing more CP than they otherwise save by allowing units to do certain things.
Depends on the order, some of the anti tank ones are great for letting fast infantry take out tanks they wouldn't be able to.

I feel like an idiot, I've gotten to the final chapter and only just now realized that the reports are added in the chapter list. So going back and doing the reports with all upgrades and stuff is pretty silly.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-18, 09:13   Link #1140
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
If you want A-Ranks though, orders are incredibly important as they provide significantly large boosts to your units. For example, if you need a tank taken out but can't get a Lancer in position, you can spend three points to give a Shocktrooper or Scout the Damage Boost Order, get behind an enemy tank and then blow up its radiator, which would be faster and less wasteful than trying to get a Lancer in the same place.

The infamous Scout Rush tactics in fact rely on Orders to succeed: stacking Defense Boost or Caution alongside Awaken Potential on Alicia turns her into a monster.