AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations > Custom Requests

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-19, 06:08   Link #1
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Something along the line of Scrapped Princess.

I just finished Scrapped Princess a few days ago. And i would like to hear recommendations that are somewhat similar to it.

So basically Adventure/Action, Magic. Tbh it almost felt like watching a Final Fantasy game when watching Scrapped Princess, which i quite liked. Middle ages theme is not a must.

Most important things i'm looking for in the anime would be:
- A story that sucks you in. Making you want to see more of it.

And a minor thing:
- Not to old anime. But if it's really good i don't mind if it is.

Anime i already watching.
Spoiler for List is sorted on Alphabetical order:

I made the series bold which i think were sort of similar to scrapped princess.

On top of that i would also like to know some series that are similar to Mai-Hime/Otome Which are somewhat like Scrapped princess to i guess

Thanks in advance

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Old 2008-01-19, 07:55   Link #2
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Quote:
Adventure/Action, Magic
Night Wizard the Animation fits in well.
Old 2008-01-19, 09:00   Link #3
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Seirei no Moribito
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Rosario to Vampire

I Didn't See This In Your List..So Enjoy
Old 2008-01-19, 09:23   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I didn't see Noein in your list either. It's putatively sci-fi, with some long riffs on quantum physics, but it's really a fantasy adventure. While it's licensed, a thinpak boxset was just released and is quite reasonably priced at Rightstuf.

Dennou Coil is also a sci-fi show with a strong fantasy component and a lot of adventure. One of the best anime from 2007.

Seirei has a stronger fantasy component than SaiMono. While there's a bit of supernatural stuff here and there in Saiunkoku Monogatari, I enjoy it more for its strong humanism. Both of them, along with Twelve Kingdoms, are among my favorites. (They're both licensed but stuck in the limbo created by Geneon's retreat from the American market.)

You also might enjoy Baccano! as well. Mixes demons and immortality with gangsters in 1930's America. I found the large cast of characters a bit daunting at the outset, but they sort themselves out quickly.
Old 2008-01-19, 11:43   Link #5
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhead View Post
Night Wizard the Animation fits in well.
Mmm. I will try get that one. I heard of it before. But i didn't thought it was somewhat similair to scrapped princess. But i will check it out. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chaos View Post
Seirei no Moribito
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Rosario to Vampire

I Didn't See This In Your List..So Enjoy
Already watching Rosario. Though i didn't thought that one is similar to Scrapped princess or so. But i do like it so far
And i got Serei no Moribito already. Haven't saw it yet though. Saiunkoku Monogatari seems interesting. I knew about the anime. But the synopsis actually turned me down. But i will give it a chance since the ratings are good and both you and SeijiSensei are recommending it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I didn't see Noein in your list either. It's putatively sci-fi, with some long riffs on quantum physics, but it's really a fantasy adventure. While it's licensed, a thinpak boxset was just released and is quite reasonably priced at Rightstuf.

Dennou Coil is also a sci-fi show with a strong fantasy component and a lot of adventure. One of the best anime from 2007.

Seirei has a stronger fantasy component than SaiMono. While there's a bit of supernatural stuff here and there in Saiunkoku Monogatari, I enjoy it more for its strong humanism. Both of them, along with Twelve Kingdoms, are among my favorites. (They're both licensed but stuck in the limbo created by Geneon's retreat from the American market.)

You also might enjoy Baccano! as well. Mixes demons and immortality with gangsters in 1930's America. I found the large cast of characters a bit daunting at the outset, but they sort themselves out quickly.
Lucky for me i already got Noein. I will make a start with that one when i finish the 2 anime in my sig.

I will try get my hands on Baccano! to. Description seems interesting.

So anime i will be trying to get after the recommendations
Baccano
Night Wizard
Saiunkoku Monogatari

Thanks for the recommendations so far.

Old 2008-01-19, 18:11   Link #6
kjk8288
Caffein > Sleep

Full metal Alchemist: Fits right under Adventure, action, from the last decade and I'll just assume Alchemy will fall under magic.

Speed Grapher: Story about an oppressed and abused girl with no freedom who's being used by the anti-protagonist for his own goals. The protagonist (Saiga) rescues her (Kagura) and runs away together to show Kagura the meaning of freedom.

Even though Speed Grapher doesn't have the middle age settings it's probably closer to what you'd like. This falls under every criteria your looking for.
Old 2008-01-20, 18:07   Link #7
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

After you mentioned this into that other thread I took a look over the series I've seen, I think you'd definitely like Fantastic Children. It has an ever present fantasy and mystery theme, like in Scrapped Princess. Not to mention that it is my favorite series when it refers to having a separate, yet related set of protagonists and having their stories interweave beautifully.

Although it is not magical, of similar Action and Adventure themes (and a little bit of angst) is Now and then, here and there. This one has the same feeling of a little group of helpless children fighting against a decaying world that seeks to oppress, use and eliminate them. This series is quite darker than the cheery Scrapped Princess, but it is definitely a must see. This series has the most despicable villain I've ever seen. To the point that at points I felt like tossing aside the protagonist and killing him myself
Old 2008-01-20, 18:35   Link #8
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
No one's going to suggest Cardcaptor Sakura (the subbed version)? Unlike a lot of people think it's not childish and stupid at all. In fact, it has the story that sucks you in like you said.
Old 2008-01-20, 18:53   Link #9
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
Well offhand quite a few things come to mind. My top suggestion would have been FMA, but you've already that on your list. I would have thought you might have liked Murder Princess or Zero no Tsukaima, but apparently they didn't fit your tastes precisely enough.

Claymore is similar in some ways, though it's a bit darker than Scrapped Princess. There's not as much tech and even barely any magic, but it has great amounts of swordplay. It's animation is new and takes a bit of getting used to, much like Tsubasa.

Escaflowne is similar in some ways, but it may be too old for your tastes. It is even a mecha anime blended in with swords and magic.

Inuyasha has some of the same group dynamics but tends to get very monster of the weakish rather than flowing a tight plot. That said, the beginning of it is alright with some magic and sword play.

Magic Knights Rayearth fits your theme very well, plenty of swords and magic, and even a fair amount of tech. Since you've seen Tsubasa, this older Clamp work might have some fun twists and turns for you...and you can see Monoka in his/her work of origin.

Ragnarok: The Animation has a mix of magic and sword play, however it's certainly not the best of the example out there.

Record of the Lodoss War is old and pretty much one of the oldest and often loved sword and sorcery shows.

Ruin Explorers while only an OVA and somewhat cheesy at points, definitely has this mix.

Star Ocean Ex is based on the old playstation game, it has a mix of magic, swords, and tech, but some of the animation is somewhat lacking, especially in fight scenes, and while many of the supporting characters are great, the main character is a void.

Tales of Eternia falls into the same type of show as Raganork, its swords and sorcery but not exactly the best example.

Tales of Symphonia is another middle of the road story. It's a short ova, so it might be worth checking out.

And my out of left field suggestions would be Cardcaptor Sakura. Well, it's aimed at a younger audience, it has an abundance of magic in it, though not much swordplay. You'd be somewhat familiar with both Sakura and Syaoran. It has very impressive character development and plenty of difficult to expect twists. And while I came in not expecting much it delivered really well.

And that being said I'd awesome suggest Princess Tutu. The title really made me think it would be awful, but a friend really highly suggested it so I eventually gave in and gave it a chance. It started off slow enough, but midway through the first season it suddenly got really good. Impressed, I tried the second season out and was simply amazed by how well it was done and how interesting it was. Magic runs rampant and even a fair amount of sword play in a really surreal setting.
Old 2008-01-20, 19:46   Link #10
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I would like to second Princess Tutu. Despite the silly title, this series has so many meaning layers, quite interesting characters dynamics and a nice plot to couple it with. The setting is quite interesting, and while it may not seem entirely similar to Scrapped Princess on a first view (since the action and adventure themes are not so dominant) it is nonetheless one of the best series I've seen lately (lately meaning 2000 and more recent )
Old 2008-01-21, 06:35   Link #11
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk8288 View Post
Full metal Alchemist: Fits right under Adventure, action, from the last decade and I'll just assume Alchemy will fall under magic.

Speed Grapher: Story about an oppressed and abused girl with no freedom who's being used by the anti-protagonist for his own goals. The protagonist (Saiga) rescues her (Kagura) and runs away together to show Kagura the meaning of freedom.

Even though Speed Grapher doesn't have the middle age settings it's probably closer to what you'd like. This falls under every criteria your looking for.
I already saw Full Metal Alchemist. But speed Grapher looks interesting. I will add that to my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoMan View Post
After you mentioned this into that other thread I took a look over the series I've seen, I think you'd definitely like Fantastic Children. It has an ever present fantasy and mystery theme, like in Scrapped Princess. Not to mention that it is my favorite series when it refers to having a separate, yet related set of protagonists and having their stories interweave beautifully.

Although it is not magical, of similar Action and Adventure themes (and a little bit of angst) is Now and then, here and there. This one has the same feeling of a little group of helpless children fighting against a decaying world that seeks to oppress, use and eliminate them. This series is quite darker than the cheery Scrapped Princess, but it is definitely a must see. This series has the most despicable villain I've ever seen. To the point that at points I felt like tossing aside the protagonist and killing him myself
Fantastic Children looks interesting. As well as Now and Then, Here and There. I will try to get them both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
No one's going to suggest Cardcaptor Sakura (the subbed version)? Unlike a lot of people think it's not childish and stupid at all. In fact, it has the story that sucks you in like you said.
I actually saw half of Card Captor Sakura on TV as a child. I just can't remember how much i saw of it. Might be worth to pick it up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telmah View Post
Well offhand quite a few things come to mind. My top suggestion would have been FMA, but you've already that on your list. I would have thought you might have liked Murder Princess or Zero no Tsukaima, but apparently they didn't fit your tastes precisely enough.

Claymore is similar in some ways, though it's a bit darker than Scrapped Princess. There's not as much tech and even barely any magic, but it has great amounts of swordplay. It's animation is new and takes a bit of getting used to, much like Tsubasa.

Escaflowne is similar in some ways, but it may be too old for your tastes. It is even a mecha anime blended in with swords and magic.

Inuyasha has some of the same group dynamics but tends to get very monster of the weakish rather than flowing a tight plot. That said, the beginning of it is alright with some magic and sword play.

Magic Knights Rayearth fits your theme very well, plenty of swords and magic, and even a fair amount of tech. Since you've seen Tsubasa, this older Clamp work might have some fun twists and turns for you...and you can see Monoka in his/her work of origin.

Ragnarok: The Animation has a mix of magic and sword play, however it's certainly not the best of the example out there.

Record of the Lodoss War is old and pretty much one of the oldest and often loved sword and sorcery shows.

Ruin Explorers while only an OVA and somewhat cheesy at points, definitely has this mix.

Star Ocean Ex is based on the old playstation game, it has a mix of magic, swords, and tech, but some of the animation is somewhat lacking, especially in fight scenes, and while many of the supporting characters are great, the main character is a void.

Tales of Eternia falls into the same type of show as Raganork, its swords and sorcery but not exactly the best example.

Tales of Symphonia is another middle of the road story. It's a short ova, so it might be worth checking out.

And my out of left field suggestions would be Cardcaptor Sakura. Well, it's aimed at a younger audience, it has an abundance of magic in it, though not much swordplay. You'd be somewhat familiar with both Sakura and Syaoran. It has very impressive character development and plenty of difficult to expect twists. And while I came in not expecting much it delivered really well.

And that being said I'd awesome suggest Princess Tutu. The title really made me think it would be awful, but a friend really highly suggested it so I eventually gave in and gave it a chance. It started off slow enough, but midway through the first season it suddenly got really good. Impressed, I tried the second season out and was simply amazed by how well it was done and how interesting it was. Magic runs rampant and even a fair amount of sword play in a really surreal setting.
I did like the first season of ZnT. Though the second season was below my expectations. And i think that counts for a lot of people. As for Murder Princess. It was just so-so. Not bad, but not outstanding either.

Out of all. I think Magic Knights Rayearth, Record of Lodoss War and Claymore are the most appealing to me. I will check them out. I already have Claymore so that won't be a problem

I tend to avoid anime that are based on games like Ragnarok or Star Ocean. I have heard little positive about anime like that. They tend to be confusing for the people who haven't played the game. Though that is just what i hear from reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoMan View Post
I would like to second Princess Tutu. Despite the silly title, this series has so many meaning layers, quite interesting characters dynamics and a nice plot to couple it with. The setting is quite interesting, and while it may not seem entirely similar to Scrapped Princess on a first view (since the action and adventure themes are not so dominant) it is nonetheless one of the best series I've seen lately (lately meaning 2000 and more recent )
Mm i heard of Princess Tutu before. But uhu, the first pic i saw of it scared me away . But i will try get it and see what it's about. The ratings are pretty good on it.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone

Old 2008-01-21, 13:31   Link #12
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

I think Spice and Wolf is shaping up to be somewhat similar to Scrapped Princess, though after only two episodes, it's hard to tell just yet.

For older anime, I think Soukou No Strain and/or Soukyuu No Fafner may fit the bill.

Last edited by Goofus Maximus; 2008-01-21 at 13:42.
Closed Thread