AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-10-04, 17:15   Link #161
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

That humans are rational creatures is a double-edged sword. Intelligence makes us good at detecting lies, but also at deceiving people.
However, I strongly believe that Freedom of Expression is vital. Because sometimes, someone happens to be right in what they are saying even though the masses don't like it, and because I like to know how people with questionable opinions reason so that I can learn how to best argue against them.
Sadly, epistemic duty is not valued as highly as it should be by people, and so I don't quite dare say I believe in an absolute Freedom of Expression. I don't trust those who make the rules, but neither do I trust those who are supposed to follow them.
It's a bit of a dilemma. But I still prefer too much freedom over to little, and once I have more time at my hands again, I will probably come back to this thread.
Old 2009-10-08, 07:14   Link #162
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
That humans are rational creatures is a double-edged sword. Intelligence makes us good at detecting lies, but also at deceiving people.
However, I strongly believe that Freedom of Expression is vital. Because sometimes, someone happens to be right in what they are saying even though the masses don't like it, and because I like to know how people with questionable opinions reason so that I can learn how to best argue against them.
Sadly, epistemic duty is not valued as highly as it should be by people, and so I don't quite dare say I believe in an absolute Freedom of Expression. I don't trust those who make the rules, but neither do I trust those who are supposed to follow them.
It's a bit of a dilemma. But I still prefer too much freedom over to little, and once I have more time at my hands again, I will probably come back to this thread.
It really depends on the country and the situations. Like in many countries in Africa, most actually need Order and Security. And that shows that the world is more prone to seal mouths.

I agree that Freedom of Expression is a "double-edged sword". But I disagree with the world needing more of it than less of it. With the present situation of ethnic conflicts arising due to ethnic differences and creating chaos and obstructing progress, which is present in many countries specifically Africa, it is clear that the world needs less "provocations".

Too much of it= Violence and Wars
Too less of it= Tyranny and Slavery
Moderate:depending on situation would be the best choice.

The moderate here is not necessarily right in the middle: it goes with the situation.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote