AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-11, 15:44   Link #2441
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
I was always under the impression that the purpose of creating Artifical Mages was to crank their magical powers up to eleven. I also remember reading somewhere that Fate's massive magical talent (and her right-handedness) was the difference that made Precia reject the idea of her being Alicia. Don't know how canon that is, though.
Old 2010-09-11, 16:07   Link #2442
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
I was always under the impression that the purpose of creating Artifical Mages was to crank their magical powers up to eleven. I also remember reading somewhere that Fate's massive magical talent (and her right-handedness) was the difference that made Precia reject the idea of her being Alicia. Don't know how canon that is, though.
It was Fate's magic being similar to the incident that killed alicia- Precia thought she was contaminated.

Also, Artificial mages wouldn't need to have their magic cranked up, they only need to be clones of powerful mages.
Old 2010-09-11, 16:28   Link #2443
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
I was always under the impression that the purpose of creating Artifical Mages was to crank their magical powers up to eleven.
Right, but the artificial mage concept was introduced to us (the audience) two seasons after the idea of Fate being a clone. Also, the dialogue in season 1 made it sound like Precia was initially attempting to truly recreate Alicia by cloning her, which would imply that she wouldn't be doing things like tweaking the clone's magic, since it could result in differences from the person she wanted Fate to turn out to be.

Quote:
By the time Strikers came around, the technology to "tweak" clones existed (for example, Nove). Did it exist when Fate was born, and was it used on her, though? (I judge it unlikely, but I guess it's possible.)
I have also considered it unlikely, but again I don't know. That's why I asked. Some posts I've seen here have seemed to take it as written that Alicia had very little magic power at all, which I don't recall ever having heard anywhere.
Old 2010-09-11, 16:32   Link #2444
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Is there any official indication of Gil Graham and the Lieze twins' legal status after the Book of Darkness incident? Is Graham's exile to Earth an actual criminal punishment status, or was he allowed to retire and everything shoved under the rug?
Was allowed to retire.

[theory]I think he was ready for consequences, but it was mutual cover up because independent act of 'ritters was death sentence to them, so Leti and co made it as "poor foolish girl just wanted to walk again ordered them" with full agreemed from Hayate, and if any real investigation would be made (and in case of court martial against Graham it would) that cover up wouldn't hold water.[/theory]

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
Old 2010-09-11, 17:04   Link #2445
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by al103 View Post
Was allowed to retire.

[theory]I think he was ready for consequences, but it was mutual cover up because independent act of 'ritters was death sentence to them, so Leti and co made it as "poor foolish girl just wanted to walk again ordered them" with full agreemed from Hayate, and if any real investigation would be made (and in case of court martial against Graham it would) that cover up wouldn't hold water.[/theory]
While there are people who whisper your theory (according to Auris), it is not the official explanation. Such whispers of Hayate are few and far in between, after all.
Old 2010-09-11, 18:56   Link #2446
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
While there are people who whisper your theory (according to Auris), it is not the official explanation. Such whispers of Hayate are few and far in between, after all.
Al was saying Hayate herself made it look like she ordered the Wolrenkitters to attack people, as if she did not, it would mean the Wolrenkitters *are* responsible for the countless deaths they commited in other incarnations (if they can refuse orders now, why didn't they do so before?).

Or if they can only refuse orders if it is to complete the book... it may mean there are hidden directives.

In both cases, the wolrenkitter's punishment would have been far more severe.
Old 2010-09-11, 19:19   Link #2447
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

That's piling speculation on top of speculation, I can think of various reasons why that wouldn't be the case, though none of them are any less speculation.
Old 2010-09-11, 22:46   Link #2448
Gaunt88

Did Subaru install a cartdridge system into Revolver Knuckle, or was it that way when Quint had it?

If the latter is true, then Quint was into belkan-style magic before nanoha and Fate made it "cool" so to speak.
Old 2010-09-11, 22:51   Link #2449
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
I don't believe it's ever explicitly said, but Revolver Knuckle is classified as a Modern Belkan-style weapon, and considering the Bureau did have the parts to install a Cartridge system on-hand during A's we can safely assume that wasn't the first time a Bureau agent had installed one on their device.
Old 2010-09-11, 22:51   Link #2450
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Not stated anywhere.

But Quint was a Belkan style user, so...

*Shrugs*

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Old 2010-09-11, 23:34   Link #2451
Random Wanderer

Belka-style magic was rare, and the cartridge system was not often installed, but they did still exist. Quint could have been one of a small number of people who used them, like Zest. On the other hand, how long ago did Quint create Revolver Knuckle? There's a two-year period between the time when Fate, Nanoha, Hayate, and the Wolkenritter presumably started a resurgence of interest in Belka and Belkan devices, and the time of Quint's death.
Old 2010-09-12, 02:56   Link #2452
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

It could have been before that even, but again, unknown.
Old 2010-09-12, 04:54   Link #2453
Gaunt88

Thanks for the answers. I didn't think there was much on the subject, but I haven't seen all the supplementary material yet, so...

I'd like to think she had it specially installed, before it became popular again. Quint seems like enough of a badass for that to work.
Old 2010-09-12, 05:35   Link #2454
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaunt88 View Post
Did Subaru install a cartdridge system into Revolver Knuckle, or was it that way when Quint had it?
The cartridge system was known to Mid-Childa for a long time, but it was too unstable to strap onto Intelligent Devices (Mariel mentions that, I think, when RH and Bardiche request upgrades), the all-time favorite of Mid mages, so it wasn't very popular. Armed Devices (not used in the Mid-Childa magic system as far as we know), on the other hand, were built with cartridge system in mind since the Belkan times, so there is no reason why a Belkan magic practitioner wouldn't install it on her Armed Device.

Quote:
If the latter is true, then Quint was into belkan-style magic before nanoha and Fate made it "cool" so to speak.
Yes, indeed. I encountered the assumption that it was the Wolkenritter who "brought back" the Belkan system, but I think that the Saint Church must have been using it continuously since its establishment.
Old 2010-09-12, 06:06   Link #2455
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

There's apparently an old-style Belkan (which the wolkies and, I think, Zest, use) and a neo-Belkan. They both use cartridges, and the neo isn't that uncommon.
Old 2010-09-12, 13:33   Link #2456
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
There's apparently an old-style Belkan (which the wolkies and, I think, Zest, use) and a neo-Belkan. They both use cartridges, and the neo isn't that uncommon.
Yes. The Ancient Belka system (古代ベルカ式) and the Modern Belka system (近代ベルカ式). Though Modern Belka is a mixture of Ancient Belka and Mid-Childa systems, since in the first chapter of ViVid, Sacred Heart refers to Modern Belka (which Vivio practices) as "the rite of Belka, mixed Mid hybrid" (or something along the lines).
Old 2010-09-13, 16:41   Link #2457
DKN117

...Whatever happened to Erio's parents, anyway? I know he was forcefully taken from them by corrupt TSAB folk and then used as a lab animal until Fate rescued him, but what happened to his (or, better said, his template's) actual parents? Were they arrested? Exiled? Mind-wiped? Executed?
Old 2010-09-13, 16:46   Link #2458
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKN117 View Post
...Whatever happened to Erio's parents, anyway? I know he was forcefully taken from them by corrupt TSAB folk and then used as a lab animal until Fate rescued him, but what happened to his (or, better said, his template's) actual parents? Were they arrested? Exiled? Mind-wiped? Executed?
never stated as far as I know.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Old 2010-09-13, 16:47   Link #2459
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaunt88 View Post

The 16th chapter of Nanoha Vivid has a brief shot of Quint in full armor during a flashback. The detail is a little low, but you can see the armored shielding over the chamber where the cartridges load in on the left gauntlet, it would stand to reason the other would be a mirror.

Stands to reason that if the gauntlets had been modified, Subaru would not marvel at how strong her mother must have been to wear both of them in combat.
Old 2010-09-13, 21:01   Link #2460
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKN117 View Post
...Whatever happened to Erio's parents, anyway? I know he was forcefully taken from them by corrupt TSAB folk and then used as a lab animal until Fate rescued him,
They were NOT a TSAB folk. It was quite clear. They actually threated his parent to disclosure info about Erio to TSAB if they wouldn't comply.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
Closed Thread