AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Extra Episode (Tomoyo Chapter) Rating
Perfect 10 161 54.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 83 27.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 9.06%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 4.36%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 1.68%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.01%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.34%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.34%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 1.34%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-17, 21:49   Link #41
todkapuz
Seiza + Katana = Ai-daiyo

I am pretty sure I didnt give any of the other 23 of this series a perfect 10... I know even 9s were really rare... 8s seldom used.. just how I am ... but I couldnt help doing it here.. I had some preconceived notions of what this episode would be from worknig with the game scripts... but .. I dont know.... ... thats all i can say...
Old 2008-07-17, 21:53   Link #42
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

That was beautiful *inner fanboy fufilled*

Anyways, quite surprising ending because it wasn't at all what i was expecting
Spoiler for About the ep:

Now im off to gif like crazy!
Old 2008-07-17, 23:23   Link #43
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Oh dear, for an entire path crammed into a single episode, that was far better than I thought.

KyoAni had a bigger budget for the OVA than it usually has, and it really shows. Apart from the fact that I never saw any pinheads throughout, Tomoyo's story was actually pretty good, even crammed into a single episode like that. I had no idea why I was almost tearing at the end, but I do have the feeling that I'd be BAWing if this was given a fuller treatment than simply an OVA.

8/10
Old 2008-07-17, 23:58   Link #44
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

This episode was so epic....Sunohara in Black hair looks just like Tomoya , Tomoyo and Tomoya look some much better then NagisaxTomoya ...
10/10 IMO
Old 2008-07-18, 00:19   Link #45
S0ulz
T_T 5cm more to kiss

After it subbed then I can shed a tears and understand the story but too bad only 1 episode
Old 2008-07-18, 00:21   Link #46
Ransom

*tomoyogasm*

10'd because I find the love story so much more satisfying than the main storyline.

I'd def be up for a Kyou retelling as well, though.
Old 2008-07-18, 00:40   Link #47
Ascaloth

@Kaioshin,

If a debut showing by P.A. Works can do so much better than that from a similar angle, then Sunrise really doesn't have any excuse.

But whatever, this is about CLANNAD and not anything else, and I have no intention of arguing with someone who is completely blind. Back to Ignore List you go.

Last edited by Ascaloth; 2008-07-18 at 01:34. Reason: Oops, links replaced
Old 2008-07-18, 01:30   Link #48
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
@Kaioshin,

If a debut showing by P.A. Works can do so much better than that from a similar angle, then Sunrise really doesn't have any excuse.

But whatever, this is about CLANNAD and not anything else, and I have no intention of arguing with someone who is completely blind. Back to Ignore List you go.
That's weird, I eventually ended up able to see your Clannad 24 article pictures in queue for the eventual publishing. Don't know if you want to check that out as it could be a privacy issue in the future.

Anyway, I forgive the rudeness I mentioned earlier, but I want to stress again that context is important as I frequently mention in just about everything, and you are missing the very important difference between a casual day at the baseball diamond (The likes of which we might see in this very anime) with people being depicted in motion and people standing motionless arms at their sides gawking at a terrorist attack (the likes of which we probably wouldn't). This is the second time you have used that picture in a situation where you are taking it well out of context. Let's not make a third.

You're trying to hard to force a comparison between two different types of scenarios (the likes of which Iceblock warned against in his reply to me) and I'm not sure I want to argue it further either so we'll go back to Clannad and pretend it never happened. Why you wouldn't just use True Tears as a touch off point for talking about Clannad's animation instead of working around to it through a totally out of place Gundam scene reference I do not know. Could have saved us both a lot of trouble and a whole lot words.

Don't think I don't see what you're doing here though. It's admittedly clever, working in your subtle jabs and arguments and then scrambling to get back to the core topic in an attempt to make me look like the sole person who has strayed from the topic and to try and shut down the argument so you have the last word in the process. I just want you to know that I know and am not going to play that game any longer. The ball is back in your court now and we can continue at your leisure. I personally don't think we've strayed to far from Clannad 24. The mods haven't said as such anyway.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2008-07-18 at 02:00. Reason: The Picture links were fixed
Old 2008-07-18, 02:29   Link #49
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Well, I'm pretty pleased with what I saw. In spite of the sweetness with how things ended, I did sort of miss the other characters just to watch their personalities bounce off of each other. With that kind of an episode constraint, it's completely understandable though.

But yeah, given the way things moved, it was pretty clear that they stuffed a lot into a short amount of time and while you sort of felt the separation anxiety from Tomoya, it doesn't really strike a major chord until the very end. With the way things ended though, it was fantastic. You couldn't ask for much more than that.
Old 2008-07-18, 03:33   Link #50
Westlo
Lets be reality

W00t subs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Well, first of all, how you got to that topic I'm not entirely sure because I wasn't making a genre comparsion, I was citing some examples to make an entirely seperate counterpoint to something another user said. I'm sure Westlo (maybe?) would attest to the fact that there are more than enough "talking, walking, eating, making some jokes and cool poses" scenes to warrant a cross comparison between the shows I brought up in my examples and Clannad. Speaking of which, you brought that topic up as well as the mecha genre and are putting quite a few words in my mouth. And really there wasn't much point to it because I'm not going to change my mind about anything since I've already stated my point. This isn't something that can be influenced.
Yes Frontier has more than enough of those scenes to warrant a cross comparison, it's just that Frontier like most other Satelight works seems to prefer fluid animation over consistent character design whereas KyoAni is a stickler for having consistent character designs.
Old 2008-07-18, 05:42   Link #51
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

omg...this ep was one of the best if not the best one of the clannad episodes, the whole episode was so damn touching...the ending almost made me shed a manly tear.
Old 2008-07-18, 06:52   Link #52
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Wow, i don't know if that's just because it's DVD quality, but that was on a whole different level of beautiful compared to the series. I'm not that surprised that it looks a lot better in terms of background designs and all, i was just blown away by most of it. Especially the snow scene.

It was a lovely watch, a lot better then i expected. Not sure if it's just me, though i didn't feel rushed. Sure it could have lasted around 2/3 episodes, though they did the best job possible at pushing it all into one episode, and i love the final outcome.

Very sweet and lovely. I'd rewatch this a few times.
Old 2008-07-18, 07:00   Link #53
Ascaloth

Blog article is up:

[RIUVA] CLANNAD (TV), Another World (Tomoyo Chapter)

Caution: Sociological infonuke ahead.
Old 2008-07-18, 07:20   Link #54
Kushi

Ok Clannad... pretty good as usual, I probably don't understand it well because of the cultural difference. It really pissed me off how they were implying that your personal life had anything to do with your school life. Same with the teacher telling you to break up with your girlfriend, that was just awkward... Aslo the whole "she's going into a better place and your not". Seriously... where do people get off throwing verbal diarrhea at someone? Those moments were really wtf moments for me, but I'm assuming that's because of cultural differences, other than bs, it was quite a beautiful story.

Spoiler for a bit of a spoiler:

Last edited by Kushi; 2008-07-18 at 07:32.
Old 2008-07-18, 07:27   Link #55
Farplaner

I think it has more to do with the lack of time they have with one episode trying to pack everything in. They weren't able to show how Tomoyo was affected by Tomoya, and it's not simply "because he's a delinquint" that they want them to break up.

In the game, Tomoyo was not only using the broadcast system, she was ditching her responsibilities to spend time with Tomoya, and everybody sees that. Especially during the School Festival (this is in the episode, but maybe the effect is gone), she ditched her responsibilities to hide in a bear suit to spend the day with Tomoya, only to be found after she rescued a child.

Being with Tomoya was really dragging down Tomoyo in this regard, and people were starting to label Tomoyo as irresponsible, so she wouldn't have been able to save the Sakura trees, or be as successful in life if they didn't break up.
Old 2008-07-18, 07:31   Link #56
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Blog article is up:

[RIUVA] CLANNAD (TV), Another World (Tomoyo Chapter)

Caution: Sociological infonuke ahead.
Oh, how I've missed your blog articles.

You're going to continue for After Story, right?
Old 2008-07-18, 07:43   Link #57
Stargaze
Lost in the starry sky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushi View Post
Ok Clannad... pretty good as usual, I probably don't understand it well because of the cultural difference. It really pissed me off how they were implying that your personal life had anything to do with your school life. Same with the teacher telling you to break up with your girlfriend, that was just awkward... Aslo the whole "she's going into a better place and your not". Seriously... where do people get off throwing verbal diarrhea at someone? Those moments were really wtf moments for me, but I'm assuming that's because of cultural differences, other than bs, it was quite a beautiful story.
Yeah, I suppose it is the culture difference as I find it quite normal really. In Asia, (well, in my culture) high acedemic achievement will earn you high expectations. Acedemic achievements are seen as the most important thing in one's school life. Heck, I still remember that my school forbids people dating, because it interferes with one acedemic work and people are sent to counselling if they are found out. (its better now, but it is still strongly disapproved by many such as teachers)
Old 2008-07-18, 07:59   Link #58
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
Oh, how I've missed your blog articles.

You're going to continue for After Story, right?
You know it.
Old 2008-07-18, 08:06   Link #59
Bankai29
Evenkurga wanna-be

This ep > Clannad 23 episodes...

OMG Tomoyo is sooo cute!!! Glasses FTW!!! TOMOYO FTW!!!

I wanna have a Clannad remake...Tomoyo's route...I also wish for Tomoyo After!!!

Now where's Kyou chapter?!?
Old 2008-07-18, 08:26   Link #60
Taiyakikung

Send a message via ICQ to Taiyakikung
Very good episode!I can't believe how they can shorten it to 1 episode and it's still this touching.Anyway,I have a strange thought(maybe)that this episode is better than original game.In the game,I got a bit irritated because Tomoya hadn't show that he wanted to improve himself a bit but kept blaming himself that he's not suited for Tomoyo instead.
(Maybe I missed something )
In this episode,he showed the great attempt to improve himself by attending the class on time,waking up by himself etc.when Tomoyo wasn't around but failed at the end.I find it very impressive.