AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-05-06, 09:58   Link #61
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
The question implies "how much credibility does this synopsis hold?"
Of course, 2ch is known for its qurks...
I'm too tired to check right now but......it may be official?
Old 2011-05-06, 19:43   Link #62
Used Can

Quote:
The question implies "how much credibility does this synopsis hold?"
Of course, 2ch is known for its qurks...
Actually, that synopsis is not from 2ch, but from a site selling the manga.

As for making a sequel. To be honest, I don't think it's that easy. Madoka Magica had a clear end. While the ending made it clear that the story keeps moving for the remaining magical girls, the main plot on Madoka Magica along with its them are fully finished and wrapped up. Moreover, most of the fandom found the ending to be satisfying.

So, whilst I'm sure many fans would like more, trying to add more (for the staff's point of view) would be rather dangerous. Madoka Magica didn't have a happy end. Of course, compared to how people expected this anime to end, the actual ending wasn't as dark. In fact, due to over-the-top scenes like Madoka going god-mode and all the times it was said hope is good and shouldn't be given up, it felt rather happy. However, the fact remains nothing much really changed and that MGs still go through a lot of hardship. Trying to make a sequel and trying to make it as interesting as the first season, would definitely require more dark elements and twists here and there. So, it'd probably be hard to keep the compromise that was met during Madoka Magica's ending.

I'm not saying a sequel is improbable, but it'd require much more and really careful planning, in my opinion. A prequel, on the other hand, would require less planning, and it would allow us to see an interesting story (within the previous one) while allowing is to see more development for characters that really could have used more of it like Mami and Kyouko. In addition, we can see more of Homura being awesome.
Old 2011-05-07, 04:26   Link #63
mols

If it is a prequel I don't know how much Homura we'll be able to see. I was under the impression that from the moment she wakes up in the hospital until she has to go to school not much time passes (a week or two maybe?).

I agree that sequel requires a lot of planning. And that is what I expect from a sequel. Otherwise we get horrible results that are best forgotten.
But it is the same for prequels, if they are not careful there can be contradictions with the "main" plot. And that is not good either. In either case the writers & co. must already have had a clear idea by the time the main plot was shown.

I can't see why a sequel to Madoka must be equally dark. It must be equally interesting and well thought, that's all. Now, about the fans, if they did plan on making this manga more or less at the same time as the series, then they did not have any fans at the beginning.
mols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 04:42   Link #64
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
There are two things speaking in favour of Oriko as a possible prequel - first, it's written by Urobuchi, too, and second, it was planned simultaneously with the anime. So whether it's a prequel or sequel, it's gotta be something logically connected with PMMM and contributing to its plot and themes.

Quote:
Actually, that synopsis is not from 2ch, but from a site selling the manga.
Spoiling the second volume before the first one is released? Odd.
Then again, it IS Magica Quartet. What do you think are the chances that they're trolling us again, and the talks of a past timeline are as credible as Urobuchi's previous claims that Kyuubey's name derives from "cute"?
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 18:37   Link #65
night_sentinel

Hello guys, great news the first eight pages of Oriko is out. /a/ seems to have scanlated it
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 19:41   Link #66
Akashin

Not much to say so far (except that it seems possible that it was Oriko who led Kyubey to Madoka (depending on the timeline, of course)), but the art of Oriko does a much better job of capturing Kyubey's facial expression than the series manga did.

Last edited by Akashin; 2011-05-07 at 20:51.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 23:05   Link #67
Xacual

So did Oriko become Walpurgis? It seems to imply that but I don't want to say that for sure. Also it looks like her magic power was seeing the future so Oracle = Oriko.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 23:18   Link #68
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
So did Oriko become Walpurgis? It seems to imply that but I don't want to say that for sure. Also it looks like her magic power was seeing the future so Oracle = Oriko.

I was confused as to what you meant, and so I reread it; you're right, I read that excerpt completely the wrong way. Upon rereading it certainly seems like Oriko is PM!Walpurgis.
Old 2011-05-08, 01:32   Link #69
Used Can

Okay, so...

It seems Oriko isn't the loli with green-hair, but the one who suggested she should become a MS.
It'd also seem Oriko has the ability to see the future, and she saw Walpurgisnacht. Now, it'd seems she suggested Walpurgisnacht is her witch form, but that'd seem weird, since she wants to stop it, meaning that she could off herself, but instead, she's looking for a potential MS that may be able to pull it off (or, at least, do something important) and that's the green-haired child we see with Mami and Kyouko in the cover for vol.1.
Old 2011-05-08, 02:04   Link #70
Akashin

It could go either way. It could either be that Walpurgisnacht is her future, and it didn't seem that she cares too much about becoming a Witch too much anyway (even if her line about that being her future doesn't imply her being Walpurgisnacht, it does imply a more resolved stance toward becoming a Witch), or she could just have seen it. And while I couldn't fully tell what, it seemed her powers did more than just seeing the future (such as seeing the loli the moment she wondered how Walpurgisnacht could be stopped). But really, nothing much is told by these eight pages, but it definitely caught my interest.
Old 2011-05-08, 02:16   Link #71
Kazu-kun

At any rate, if the green-haired loli is not Oriko, who is she? And what could she possibly do against Walpurgis?
Old 2011-05-08, 02:39   Link #72
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
At any rate, if the green-haired loli is not Oriko, who is she? And what could she possibly do against Walpurgis?
We don't know if it's Walpurgis or not.

I think we pretty much know now:
That it's not in the Madoka altered timeline but beforehand somewhere.
Oriko foresaw herself turning into a ridiculously powerful witch that would be "impossible to defeat." (Assuming translations are right)
Oriko foresaw a glimpse of the green haired girl which may or may not be able to kill or stop her witch.
Also Oriko recognized the city so it can't be far into the past.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 02:57   Link #73
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
We don't know if it's Walpurgis or not.
True, but we saw Mitakihara in ruin, with what appeared to be floating buildings. Until we know of another Witch besides Walpurgisnacht that is capable of such feats, that is something we can safely assume.
Old 2011-05-08, 03:45   Link #74
Snork
Twilight lander

But why would it be a given that Oriko should foresee the deeds of her own witch form?
Then again, if she wished to see her own future...
The sequel is sunk, but the whole thing looks intriguing nonetheless. At least it seems we'll get Walpurgis Night explained. Looking forward for more.
Oh, and I like the graphics much more than Kazumi's.

EDIT: speaking of designs... I had some tingling of parallel-drawing for a while after seeing the pages... Now, am I the only one to have "Touhou" popping up to mind?
Old 2011-05-08, 16:47   Link #75
mols

Quote:
But why would it be a given that Oriko should foresee the deeds of her own witch form?
Then again, if she wished to see her own future...
The sequel is sunk, but the whole thing looks intriguing nonetheless. At least it seems we'll get Walpurgis Night explained. Looking forward for more.
Oh, and I like the graphics much more than Kazumi's.

EDIT: speaking of designs... I had some tingling of parallel-drawing for a while after seeing the pages... Now, am I the only one to have "Touhou" popping up to mind?
I also prefer these drawings... and damn it, even though I spent a few posts saying how i did not like prequels this few pages completely changed my mind. Sooooo curious now.

I think she saw the future somehow. And saw an unstoppable witch... so I assume WN. And also a girl that would be useful to QB...
I think it is safe to assume this occurred before any time loop happened so it is a common past to all timelines (pre-madoka's wish of course).

...But I find it quite simple if her wish was to be able to see the future. Besides the fact that it is almost impossible with all the random events that are impossible to predict with 100 per cent accuracy. After all, few things follow deterministic rules.

Anyways, she sees the future, WN probably, and a girl with a lot of power that looked to me like the green haired girl...so, what next???
Old 2011-05-08, 17:04   Link #76
Snork
Twilight lander

Quote:
I think she saw the future somehow.
I think that was her wish in the first place. Probably her magic will be also based on it. Also, speculating forward, her wish mechanics transcend time like Homura's... what are the chances she'll keep the memories in the final timeline?

Quote:
I think it is safe to assume this occurred before any time loop happened so it is a common past to all timelines (pre-madoka's wish of course).
At least what we saw must definitely fit this. Of of course, not a distant past, since Oriko survives till the events before WN (although if she can see the future, surviving becomes a tad bit easier ).

Quote:
...But I find it quite simple if her wish was to be able to see the future. Besides the fact that it is almost impossible with all the random events that are impossible to predict with 100 per cent accuracy. After all, few things follow deterministic rules.
Maybe she sees these very probabilities. Besides, Homura's bitter experience (and Sayaka's bitter fate) show that some events maintain a high level of probability...

To throw in a random speculah, who thinks that Oriko will not be WN in the end, but either the green-haired girl or the MG hunter will?

Still, something bugs me about WN. Namely, Kyouko's words in episode 8. All the subs seem to agree that she says "Walpurgis Night has never come to this town before". That's a crucial point, actually - to suggest that WN has appeared more than once. Of course, since WN seems more like an event than a witch, one might think it's only the name for the appearance of super strong witches. Nonetheless, Kyouko is aware of previous appearances... Done her homework, or encountered one already?
Old 2011-05-08, 17:13   Link #77
Akashin

Quote:
Still, something bugs me about WN. Namely, Kyouko's words in episode 8. All the subs seem to agree that she says "Walpurgis Night has never come to this town before". That's a crucial point, actually - to suggest that WN has appeared more than once. Of course, since WN seems more like an event than a witch, one might think it's only the name for the appearance of super strong witches. Nonetheless, Kyouko is aware of previous appearances... Done her homework, or encountered one already?
I've always been curious about this too, and its Witch Card strongly supports this idea. Of course it doesn't seem likely that Walpurgisnacht refers to the event rather than the Witch; Walpurgisnacht (real name unknown, to boot) is just the name of the freakishly powerful Witch that appears here and there wrecking everything. Its highly unlikely that Kyoko directly encountered it (seeing as, you know, she's still alive), but if you combine this with TL1!Mami having some knowledge of its coming, it's not unlikely that Walpurgisnacht is a well known thing in the right Puella Magi circles.

Given that, Walpurgisnacht being its codename makes perfect sense.
Old 2011-05-08, 17:22   Link #78
mols

Quote:
At least what we saw must definitely fit this. Of of course, not a distant past, since Oriko survives till the events before WN (although if she can see the future, surviving becomes a tad bit easier ).
Really? I did not know it was a certainty...

Quote:
Maybe she sees these very probabilities. Besides, Homura's bitter experience (and Sayaka's bitter fate) show that some events maintain a high level of probability...
Sure, but in that we saw the repetition of a short loop. relatively short at least. It is like repeating the same day, you will probably get the same weather each time with slight variations. And so on. But I don't think that is important for this series, maybe it is like you say, she sees probabilities and almost certitudes. That is certainly enough to make decision and write a story hahahaha

Quote:
To throw in a random speculah, who thinks that Oriko will not be WN in the end, but either the green-haired girl or the MG hunter will?

I don't think she will be WN.
Maybe the green haired girl? maybe she misinterpreted her vision and her solution (girl) was actually the cause (WN).

I think WN is a unique entity that has visited other places but has never been destroyed by MG so keeps popping up here and there.
So maybe Kyouko has heard of that somehow. It didn't seem like she had actually met WN before, or she would have reacted differently and not agreed to help Homura fight it.

Anyway, this story seems to be about the origins of WN, right? what kind of lige must a girl have had to become such a thing?
Old 2011-05-09, 03:45   Link #79
Snork
Twilight lander

Quote:
Its highly unlikely that Kyoko directly encountered it (seeing as, you know, she's still alive)
The knowledge of WN also seems to include the necessity for Puellae Magi to team up against her. Presumably, someone did it before and lived to tell the tale. So even if WN can't be defeated, maybe it can be driven away.

Quote:
Really? I did not know it was a certainty...
Well, to an extent, I guess. She said to Kyuubey: "Even my magic will be of use to you". Meaning she can probably foresee some events at will. We have yet to see if it's helpful in battle, of course... As well as her actual weapon and fighting style.

Quote:
maybe she misinterpreted her vision and her solution (girl) was actually the cause (WN).
my biggest suspicion for now. Although we don't know yet how exaclty she interpreted the girl she saw. A gambit may be pending...

Quote:
what kind of lige must a girl have had to become such a thing?
It once occurred to me that based on speculahs about WN's compilative nature, she might be not even a witch but indeed something that is born from the collective grief of witches. Maybe there was a witch whose nature is accumulating all this grief and manifesting it, or maybe it just inevitably happens on its own. Although the latter leaves us with a disturbing point in mind: if WN is a natural process of merging witches... can the same be pulled off with... demons?
Old 2011-05-09, 04:25   Link #80
mols

Quote:
Well, to an extent, I guess. She said to Kyuubey: "Even my magic will be of use to you". Meaning she can probably foresee some events at will. We have yet to see if it's helpful in battle, of course... As well as her actual weapon and fighting style.
I assumed she referred to the finding of the girl... whoever she is.

Quote:
It once occurred to me that based on speculahs about WN's compilative nature, she might be not even a witch but indeed something that is born from the collective grief of witches. Maybe there was a witch whose nature is accumulating all this grief and manifesting it, or maybe it just inevitably happens on its own. Although the latter leaves us with a disturbing point in mind: if WN is a natural process of merging witches... can the same be pulled off with... demons?
Super demons require super Homura with different wing combos. hahahaha.
I wonder how many things will be explained here. Also, how come guys can't receive wishes? I know that this is meant to be a "magical girl" show, but if we forget what genre this is supposed to be, why are only girls targeted?

In Claymore guys were too unstable, can this be the case too? I don't think so since I doubt we are more unstable in such a situation. Maybe some guys would actually like to become "demons"? then again, become witches for guys is impossible, gender wise.
It is rather funny that only 8 pages can make people talk so much in a forum. hahahaha