AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2023-11-16, 16:16   Link #101
Random14

So much for the gun, although Yo does help out by the end. Its funny how Hyoga (who was previously the meanest character in the series) is back, but now we've got Ibara and he's way worse.

Too bad Kirisame didn't bother to question anything sooner about the Master (and not like Moz cares). Its always odd hearing Engrish suddenly (even with all the science in this series). I'd worry about Yo with the device, but its Yo and keeping it away from Ibara is the main thing. And with that English voice command, at least don't have to worry about Magma getting his hands on this weapon.

Last edited by Random14; 2023-11-16 at 16:46.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-16, 21:39   Link #102
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I feel like this show does it's best to underestimate the threat of firearms. I guess since it would completely change the sense of conflict in the show. But it's just downright silly that Moz could close the distance faster than someone could pull a trigger. And not even a little bit faster. So much faster that the gun didn't even go off as the hit was landing. But I suppose on the positive side they didn't waste any more ammo...than was already wasted.

Certainly playing up the absurd power of Moz. Even having Hyoga end up losing to him. At this point there is only one conceivable person that could beat him in an actual fight and sadly they don't have him remotely available for this sort of thing .

Rough break for Kirisame. In the end she may have been incredibly naive to let herself be tricked by Ibara for so long. But still, at least she wasn't a bad person at heart. I guess if nothing else they forced Ibara to whittle away his own forces in order to protect himself. And a really bad break since it's possible no one might notice her down there...Well I mean in a show like this I'm sure someone will since that'd be too cruel a fate for her. But it's still possible.

At least the gun got to shoot someone! And wow. The crooked cop came through for them! Managed to score a good hit and the petrification weapon! If they have that then they at least have something that can take down Moz. Well...I mean the gun should still do it. But they don't have much ammo remaining.

And congrats to Ibara. Got to be the first person in a very long time to get shot .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
No, as he said, he destroyed it to keep it out of Senku's hands.

Seems like the next step is to dress up Soyuz as his father so the "Master" can make an appearance.
Yeah. But why did that do anything? Breaking statues hasn't been a huge hindrance in this show. Just glue it together. Isn't the point a few missing pieces will at most lead to a scar? Why is this guy impossible to revive?
Old 2023-11-16, 21:59   Link #103
grecefar

so, nobody remembers homura?, I do remember homura.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-17, 16:09   Link #104
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I feel like this show does it's best to underestimate the threat of firearms. I guess since it would completely change the sense of conflict in the show. But it's just downright silly that Moz could close the distance faster than someone could pull a trigger. And not even a little bit faster. So much faster that the gun didn't even go off as the hit was landing. But I suppose on the positive side they didn't waste any more ammo...than was already wasted.
Let's remind ourselves that even the great Himura Kenshin was also faster than a speeding bullet.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-19, 16:10   Link #105
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Dr. Stone: New World. Joker

I do recall the crew brought both Homura and Hyoga with them onboard the Perseus for fear that the duo might cause trouble to Ishigami village while our heroes were gone to Soyuz's birth island.

It played to their advantage that when Ibara and his forces boarded the Perseus the first time either they did not bother or did not get greedy to make a thorough inspection of the ship down to the lower decks, or else they would have found Homura and Hyogas' statues and have them disposed with the other members that got petrified the first time.

Still, that Hyoga got owned flawlessly by Moz I still needed time to process that which maybe I theorized that Hyoga was downplaying his own strength to lure Moz into a false sense of security. Nonetheless, Hyoga had been renowned at being a keen analyst when judging people's value and the strength they can provide.

Who knows? Maybe we'll see next episode if Hyoga is down for the rest of the road or bidding his time to catch Moz off guard.

Now, moving to Kirisame and Ibara, her past with the Master shed light that she was a gullible child, nevertheless, kind-hearted to worry and help the people of the island. Cracks finally appeared once she start to seriously question Ibara's motive to have the whole island petrified since doing so would mean Ibara abusing his power at the expense of sullying the Master's kindness.

Sure enough the truth slapped her hard when she saw the Master's statue and deduced Ibara's scam, but it became too late since the senile coot beat her first with the Medusa turning her into a statue and pushing her to fall into the depths of the sea.

And, just as the old rat was gloating over his decisive victory, the crooked cop Yoh triumphantly snatched the Medusa from the oji-san clutches landing a direct shot at the bastard's hand to let drop off the device.

Furthermore, it would have made for a nostalgic joke had they written Yoh to shout, "Medusa getto daze!"
Guido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-23, 19:22   Link #106
grecefar

I love when chrome becomes the hero at the last moment when he comes up with an idea.

ibara needs to suffer a lot.
Old 2023-11-23, 23:07   Link #107
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

I take back everything I said about Yoh. That idiot! Instead of observing other fights and chilling in the water he should have made a break back for shore to at least get that weapon into Senku's hands. If the opponent knows how to use a weapon and you don't...keep it away from them!

Ibara is certainly gutsy. For a guy with a hole in his hand. Could have ended up giving up his weapon. He didn't know for sure what kind of crazy tricks Senku's side might have had. If they were able to stop Oarashi earlier then people could have evacuated to the other side of the island and possibly gotten back to Medusa before Ibara. But I suppose no plan is without any risk.

I'm curious about Senku's survival. But there are definitely options. My best guess is that he still had some revival fluid on him. If he could measure the rate of the petrification then he could do something like throwing the container into the air, get petrified, and then get himself restored once the flask landed. Not sure if that was his strategy since that's a tricky move to pull off. But maybe.

Too bad that thing couldn't react to Senku's voice. Either it doesn't respond to synthetic voices or it does have to be much closer to activate. Either way it did allow him to give Ibara a scare . He certainly wasn't confident that thing wouldn't activate.

An interesting showdown ahead. Ibara is frankly dangerous as a combatant so if he gets close he won't even need to petrify Senku. But he's got a gun shot wound in his hand and has no idea (unless Senku tells him) how he survived. He might keep his distance out of caution.

And hey. Props to Hyoga. Still managed a win there. I guess the power of talent, hard work, and history trumped pure talent. If Moz was trained he could turn into an unstoppable monster. Already close enough as it is. Managed to beat this guy with what they had. Probably true that neither are getting restored anytime soon. Too dangerous until there's a much more substantial security in place to handle them.

Either way...this is going to take a long time to resolve. Not the fight, but the amount of people that need to be revived. This will be a very small scale version of what will be needed to revive humanity.
Old 2023-11-24, 03:01   Link #108
Random14

Figures Yo messed up. At least by now we have a better idea of how that device works. First half of the episode felt a bit dragged out but then that last scene was an obvious place to end the episode on.

If anyone in this series needs to be punched, its definitely Ibara, no one else in the series comes close to being as evil as him. Unfortunately he's also pretty clever.

With everyone else out, time for Senku to finish things up.
Old 2023-11-26, 15:49   Link #109
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Dr. Stone: New World. Flicker of Doom

Yoh is a stupid clown. That small-scale doom event could have been averted had he listened to his conscience and swam back to the island to deliver the medusa safely to Dekus' hands, but instead he got his ego and grandeur delusions & ignorance got the better of him which Ibara took advantage off to command the Medusa to petrify the former off guard.

Absolutely, I validate everyones' opinions on Ibara that he's wickedly evil, but also displaying keen observation skills, an ability to anticipate his enemies next move once he's learned a fair amount of information on the issue at hand or situation, and cautious enough. Nonetheless, he freaks out hilariously when his advantage is taken away or stolen from him, and when his plans do not go the way he intended them to be.

Before the flicker of doom leading to the climax and the last man standoff for next week, Hyoga vs. Moz match culminated with the former triumphing over the latter due that refinement through hard work and effort eventually pays off over a diamond in the rough borned with talent.
This is the motto for many eastern cultures and not just the Japanese.

Japanese craftsmen and swordsmith take years if not decades refining their art and techniques, and they do not feel satisfied until reaching that threshold of perfection.
This applied the same to Hyoga, which I do not doubt he still feels miles away from perfecting and let alone mastering his kuyadari style with the spear improved by Senku's knowledge. Nevertheless, this was enough for Moz to express admiration for Hyoga's determination, effort, and style; enough to humble himself and asked the former if possible to train him under the kudayari style, nearing their last moments as the flicker of doom engulfed the entire island.

Now, the moment of truth: Senku vs. Ibara.

How did Senku managed to escape unpetrified? My wild guess would be that it had to do with all his friends lining up before being petrified and gesturing a countdown of numbers with their fingers.

From his last petrification Chrome deduced and told Senku that the speed of the medusa does not change.

From moments before being petrified Ukyō learned and screamed out loud for Senku to hear that the medusa is triggered through voice activation.

My conjecture is that the petrification speed is lineal not exponential and depends on the radius of the target that the user wishes to petrify, hence, once the distance and time are input through voice command the parameters cannot be changed midway into the petrification process.

Also, Senku frightening Ibara was a test run proving that the medusa cannot be triggered with recorded voices and from a relatively, far distance. The voice command must be issued clear and close to the medusa so that it can start. Science is not risk-less, because it also involves trial and error in the testing phase, therefore, Senku tried a risky gambled that, fortunately, yielded to him more favorable results based on medusa not activating through the recording he issued from at distance.

So, next week is the climax waiting for the last 3700 years with the destiny of mankind at stake.

Last edited by Guido; 2023-11-26 at 16:00.
Old 2023-11-28, 04:27   Link #110
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

Watching this late, a few days after its initial airing but this latest episode was glorious! The big mystery is how did Senku avoid getting petrified? Everyone contributed their knowledge, bit by bit to further increase the chance at refining the plan. What that plan was, I'm dying to know this coming week, as it was pulled off successfully by Senku.

Ibara has gotten cocky now. He's still wily but he's dug himself a hole because he now has no one to serve him.

Moz vs Hyoga ended well. Mutual respect and admiration. Recognizing their respective positions, I could see them either joining Senku or breaking off to do their own thing, or even join Tsukasa later on, which would be super scary as a triple threat.
Old 2023-11-30, 16:13   Link #111
grecefar

ibara statue needs to be detroyed to dust. I seriously hate that guy, one of the most annoying villians I've seen.
Old 2023-11-30, 20:00   Link #112
Random14

That was a lot of reversals but its finally over. Nice that the drone didn't go to waste and that most everyone contributed.

And yeah, if anyone should be left petrified, its him. Bad enough he's so paranoid (and cruel) but figures he's that strong too (though even if he wasn't, not like Senku had much chance in a physical fight).
Old 2023-11-30, 20:10   Link #113
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Whew. That was a ride! I think Senku deserved that cry of victory for sure!

That was a close one. I figured the device was a bit too precise and that artificially created voices wouldn't register. But it really was that Ibara just wasn't close enough last week for it to pick up on the sound. Didn't mess up anything this time!

Full props to Ryuusui. That guy has been petrified 3 times on this island! He just can't get away from it! But he did great work there. Good job getting the listening device right up on Medusa. If he didn't then Senku was screwed. I presume his charge forward was also to push the device back slightly to keep Senku out of range. I'd say revive him first but he'll need to be put back together...again. Good thing this guy is strong mentally since I'm not sure what that would do to a person having that happen all the time!

That was close. Timely message for Senku to reassure him that he's not alone. Obviously it's an uncomfortable situation. He's hurt, was just in a life or death situation, and everyone is petrified. It'll probably take him a bit to settle down and start producing enough revival fluid. Good to have a momentary emotional comfort like that before getting to work.

Also kind of happy that I was pretty much right on Senku's survival. Didn't quite piece together that everyone was helping him math out distance and timing but I'm good with this .
Old 2023-12-01, 03:32   Link #114
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

What a roller coaster ride! It's a lot more action and shonen compared to the cat and mouse game that we saw Light and L in Death Note all those years ago.

Ibara was one of the toughest villains ever. He's not just some cautious witty and overly cocky villain, he actually has some good strength in him.

So the calculation of tossing the liquid into the air and and dousing himself worked, otherwise Ibara would have already won.

I was a bit skeptical the petrification device did not pick up Senku's voice when the speaker was still in the lab vehicle, but it did when the earpiece was attached to it.

Good to see the two bottles were in fact a decoy to revive Ryuusui. He was MVP number 2.

The only thing I imagined when Senku reached the cliff was his calculation of the wind. I would have thought the sea breeze would blow the device back to Ibara thus ending the battle, but they wrote it so the drone was put to use. The tug of war was a good idea, but man Ibara was able to just counter the device hurling towards him.

The question for me is how did Ibara learn the commands of the device, in English, no less? Surely the language was passed on through generations, so there have to be others who also know English, right?

What a flashback to the first day Senku was revived. He truly was alone back then. I thought he would go up to the village to see Kohaku. The phone call was a great reminder that this time, he's not all by himself.
Old 2023-12-01, 04:46   Link #115
Uselessraid

Honestly the episode was the most Ive every reacted too in awhile. The cold calculated Ibara felt like an actual villain; Not like Tsukasa or Hyoga but someone who doesnt have a good reason besides not losing his positon of "his" village
Uselessraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-03, 20:46   Link #116
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Dr. Stone: New World. Last Man Standing

I do agree with all your comments. This episode is not only the best in Dr. Stone but also the best in the history of shounen, IMHO.

Battle and intellectual shounen should learn from the tropes executed in the Ibara vs. Senku match, because it was battle involving everything from wits to brute force to anticipation to creativity.

I'm just glad the writers (or rather the mangaka) went with that route using both power of science and power of cooperation in order for Senku to finally outwit Ibara unexpectedly at the last second. The quintessential power of friendship came and took effect after the battle was won with Senku becoming literally the last man standing in the island.

This power of friendship came when Senku drowned in depression recalling all the time he spent alone from when he was petrified until before Taijuu became unpetrified, sulking in hopelessness. But, that despair was flushed away when Senku received the call from Ruri which snapped him out of his stupor after answering her call.
That was the power of friendship in display to remind Senku that he's no longer alone but made important connections with others that helped support him, and just those same connections contributed to the hard earned victory.

Ibara my respects even though he is the villain. He has the needed attributes to be a man that sows fear and horror into the hearts of those that cross his path, and Senku was not an exception.
Keen observation skills coupled with overt cautiousness, and the skills at anticipating his enemies' next move. But, I never expected for a shounen villain to actually continue to keep on and pulling out his punches refusing to quit even when the tide was turned against him three times, and yet those three times he quickly reacted to counter them all.
Nonetheless, Ryusui attaching the transmitter onto the Medusa before being petrified again so that Ibara will retrieve the Medusa back without him knowing was an unexpected course that the old man could not see coming until it was too late once Senku issued the voice command.

That's how villains in shounen should and must act at every match against the protagonists, Always finding a way out when the heroes turn the tides against them in order to deliver their own counters unexpectedly, because it makes the standoff and fight more intense and interesting to watch.

Honestly, I'm tired of traditional shounen fights where the villains are overpowered in one go by the protagonists powering themselves up with the power of friendship. Thankfully, Dr. Stone subverted that cliché with the power of science, the power of cooperation, and the power of creativity without involving power of friendship in the last man standoff.
Old 2023-12-07, 12:51   Link #117
grecefar

happy ending, almost. They figure out were why-man is and it's not going to be easy.

so happy to see kohaku again.
Old 2023-12-07, 19:45   Link #118
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

So now they're going to take the battle to space?! Sounds preposterous. How on earth are they going to build a spaceship, let alone spacesuits and acquire the fuel to get there while they are still in the stone world?

The other big question is where are all the other petrification devices? Since many rained upon that island, there should be more. Why wouldn't someone like Ibara know about their existence, unless other people have them and are currently elsewhere, or Why-Man collected them afterwards?

There's gotta be more to Ginro's past as his relative was that revived person's master.

Interesting that Why-Man has been able to use Senku's voice and engineer a vocaloid version to transmit over the entire globe. They really should build some auditory encasement for the petrification device just in case.
Old 2023-12-07, 22:26   Link #119
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Ok, this one is definitely going to be pushing it. Building a boat within their lifetime? Sure. We can stretch this a bit. But that old dude isn't building a space shuttle! We can't even comfortably get to the darn moon these days! They could take this boat all the way to the States, travel across it to whatever is left of NASA and they wouldn't be able to pull that off.

Honestly being on the moon is the safest place after petrifying the globe. Can petrify all of humanity at any time and are completely safe from the effects. And there's no realistic way after collapsing society for humanity to build itself back up to being a civilization that can travel into space in a short amount of time. By that point should be more than easy to petrify humanity again before they can build their tech back up to that level.

Of course there's nothing but questions of "Why" along with this. Why petrify humanity and then do nothing with the planet? Was humanity taken out by a hyper aggressive PETA? Just wipe the planet and then let nature have it? Why scatter petrification devices at all? Only reason to do that was because they knew some humans were still down there. In that case why not simply petrify them again?

And what's with the transmission? It can't just be a purely automatic thing since they aren't using a generic voice here. They are using Senku's voice so there has to be someone alive on the moon. Why even live up there just to monitor an abandoned planet? Why use Senku's voice instead of any generic recording? I guess part of the repeated messages (if it wasn't Senku's voice) could conceivably be to catch any growing advanced civilization. They get enough tech to access radio waves then it's only a matter of time until one person who happens to be carrying a petrification device is standing too close...and that's the planet. Though that's a pretty inconsistent method. No telling when that sort of thing will work. And despite raining down devices...they've only found one this whole time.

But in a sense that does put Team Science in check. They can't just revive humanity without thinking. If those things were spread out across the globe then any random person could stand in the wrong place at the wrong time and doom everyone in an instant. But (normally) it'd be impossible to get to space without reviving a massive amount of specialists.

Lot of questions and few answers.

Also...I liked Ginro better when I thought he was dying.
Old 2023-12-08, 02:28   Link #120
Random14

They got everyone (well, all the main characters) back fast but then Senku's finally not held back by lack of nitric acid (and most of the islanders weren't bad) so now time to party and enjoy their victory. Though that then leads into their next big challenge and boy is it a doozy.

At least for now things are peaceful, though completely fixing up the island will take longer still after that long reign of terror.

Tags
adventure, sci-fi