AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-07-31, 12:05   Link #1
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

US Congress jeopardizing Net Neutrality?

Source. Google Net

Broadband carriers petitioning to Congress for permission to handle online activities and applications of which would be for the best interest to Internet users.

http://www.google.com/help/netneutrality.html
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-31, 13:45   Link #2
DaFool
Resident devil

I sure hope broadband carriers don't adopt the strategies of local cellphone companies. In the early days, surfing with your cellphone only meant accessing your service provider's homepage and downloads, and nothing else. Though they since laxed, I have disliked using cellphones to this day.

Internet 2 may be a threat to Net Neutrality. Especially concerning the ability of corporations to have better control at content delivery. Having to download a special app to view something laden with spyware and advertisements which then hog the bandwidth you pay for sounds earily similar to the unsolicited text advertisements and automatic downloads I get on my phone often. I sure hope that it will be the cellular companies that adopt the broadband strategy, not the other way around, and just allocate us bandwidth we can use as we please rather than having to pay piecemeal per content.

Content providers and service providers should and must remain separate. Combine them, and we'd have television all over again. Congratulations, you now have an idiot box in your pocket, and another idiot box in your office.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-31, 14:02   Link #3
Hunter Nin.

I absolutely despise the idea of having some broadband company telling me what's in my best interest.
Hunter Nin. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-31, 16:25   Link #4
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Unfortunately, the law makers in congress only know what the companies have been feeding them. Look at Ted Stevens' (aka the "bridge to nowhere" guy) comments on the internet a few weeks ago. Very few, if any have a background in IT or computers in general. Thus they're willing to believe those people when they say nothing will change, and they just want to add a second, higher tier to give some traffic, like VoIP a higher priority.

However, there's good reason to believe, based on public comments telco execs have made, that they really intend to create a second, lower tier, and direct all competing traffic on that. In essance, creating many high speed intranets, and greatly slowing the internet down to the point of uselessness. If content providers want to avoid that fate, they'll be forced to pay a premium in addition to what they already pay for their bandwidth.

Now lawmakers really don't like regulation. They buy into the idea that the market will take care of itself. However, that has been proven time and time again to be wrong. Look at enron, shutting down power plants to raise the cost of electricity. Do we have any reason to belive this will lead to a different result?

Some Daily Show segements on net neutrality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DClkE64nFDY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YedWtX9tKE
Old 2006-07-31, 17:16   Link #5
Ending

That's US only. Although, if others follow the example, there might be some serious trouble in less developed countries (Internet-wise). Around here, we are moving towards 10 meg connections, so the impact wouldn't be that great.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-03, 12:08   Link #6
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
"best interest" is really nothing but a general statement, meaning overall, as in an average. The broadband companies can go **** themselves. Don't mess with our connections. Is what i would say.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 23:33   Link #7
no common sense
Resident Asshole

It would be foolish to readily believe the scare mongering of any group that has their own personal, separate vested interests regarding any given issue.

A more neutral viewpoint
A different viewpoint

It's easy to look only on the surface and focus on the rhetoric. Usually it's better to do a little research and to be skeptical until you have heard several different viewpoints.
no common sense is offline   Reply With Quote