AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-21, 04:36   Link #101
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreno View Post
Spoiler for Hideauze:

Do you see what I see?
Very good find, but do you watch it frame by frame?
The average viewer would totally miss this.
Old 2013-05-21, 07:23   Link #102
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

It could be just a coincidence but.... well I guess I just can't exclude now that we will have a twist like: "hideauze is people!"

What frightens me the most is the fact that the mouth is exactly where it's supposed to be if that's a mutated human...

EDIT:

Hmmm guys... this could seriously end up to be true

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

This isn't the kind of mouth you would expect from a Cephalopod or any fish really. This is the mouth of a mammalian...

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2013-05-21 at 08:37.
Old 2013-05-21, 09:01   Link #103
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
This isn't the kind of mouth you would expect from a Cephalopod or any fish really. This is the mouth of a mammalian...
Well, whales are mammals.
Old 2013-05-21, 09:04   Link #104
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Well, whales are mammals.
Well, sure... but... how does that affect my observation?

Old 2013-05-21, 09:23   Link #105
LKK

Wow. Those are impressive carnivore teeth. The images go by so quickly, I never noticed them in broadcast. But they don't really look like the teeth Ledo has been carving. Too pointy. I think if the ones he carved looked like those, we would have thought of carnivore teeth earlier. Something doesn't fit.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2013-05-21, 09:29   Link #106
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Well, sure... but... how does that affect my observation?
The people in Gargantia call them Whalesquids. Not Giant Squids. So they're clearly aware of the fact that they're not just Cephalopods. There seems to be documentation with regards to their nature and existence. It's not like everyone thinks they're just normal squids, and then get a huge surprise when they discover later that they have mammal properties. They've known all along. In fact, the "teeth" which Ledo collects and makes flutes out of, are definitely modeled after whale teeth.

Images
Old 2013-05-21, 09:46   Link #107
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
The people in Gargantia call them Whalesquids. Not Giant Squids. So they're clearly aware of the fact that they're not just Cephalopods.
Ah, I understand now what you were getting at, however that's not something you should automatically conclude just by the name.

Example: whale sharks

They are decidedly sharks (fish), and they have nothing mammal like.
The main reasons they are associated to whales is because they are very big and they feed on plankton.

And don't let me even get started on "seahorses" and "guinea pigs".

Quote:
There seems to be documentation with regards to their nature and existence. It's not like everyone thinks they're just normal squids, and then get a huge surprise when they discover later that they have mammal properties. They've known all along. In fact, the "teeth" which Ledo collects and makes flutes out of, are definitely modeled after whale teeth.

Images
Well they definitely know that they aren't just like your average sea creatures, but there's the fact that when Ledo reacted to the octopus Bellows (or was it pinion?) commented "what would you do if you saw a whalesquid?" Suggesting that they think octopuses and whalesquids are closely related.
I don't think that they have a depth biological knowledge of what the whalesquids are, especially considering that they most likely never captured one of them to examine it. They most likely think it's just some kind of strange and dangerous squid.

The teeth that Ledo collects are not something that the Gargantians are familiar with judging from Bevel and Amy reactions.

Old 2013-05-21, 14:21   Link #108
Irenesharda

Quote:
The people in Gargantia call them Whalesquids. Not Giant Squids. So they're clearly aware of the fact that they're not just Cephalopods. There seems to be documentation with regards to their nature and existence. It's not like everyone thinks they're just normal squids, and then get a huge surprise when they discover later that they have mammal properties. They've known all along. In fact, the "teeth" which Ledo collects and makes flutes out of, are definitely modeled after whale teeth.

Images
I don't know if its really correct to assume they really know the difference. So much of earth's history and science has been lost at this point. Up until the point Red arrived, they thought that people being able to go into space and that most of humanity had done so, was just a myth. I think we can probably assume that their knowledge of the science classification might have regressed as well.

They might just call them "whalesquid" since they identify them with being as big as a whale, not because they don't think of them as cephlopods. It's the same reason we call a sea star a "starfish" despite the fact that it's neither a star nor a fish. And someone already talked about the "whale shark" thing. These names usually came about before we really classified the animals, and I think this probably applies to Gargantia's referring to the rather mutated version of giant squid as "whalesquid".

The "whale squid" are definitely not your regular giant squid, as it's been stated and shown that they now have predatory teeth rather than a beak, they now have multiple eyes rather than the standard two, and their fins have become elongated appendages. However, this points like I said, to a completely mutated (or genetically engineered?) form of squid.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-05-21, 15:04   Link #109
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I suppose that's true, but from a design perspective in the production, I think the fact that they decided to have the characters call them "Whalesquids" and also modeled their teeth after Whale teeth, it would indicate that the intention is for the audience to associate them as some sort of whale/squid hybrid. I totally agree that they're a mutation, but I just don't think that there's any implication that they're related to humans in any way.
Old 2013-05-21, 15:10   Link #110
Toreno
すごい!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
Very good find, but do you watch it frame by frame?
The average viewer would totally miss this.

Actually you can see it almost all the time, it's just more obvious in this frame.

I just can't see this being a coincidence. Definitely started some interesting theories in my head...
Old 2013-05-21, 15:27   Link #111
Irenesharda

Quote:
I suppose that's true, but from a design perspective in the production, I think the fact that they decided to have the characters call them "Whalesquids" and also modeled their teeth after Whale teeth, it would indicate that the intention is for the audience to associate them as some sort of whale/squid hybrid. I totally agree that they're a mutation, but I just don't think that there's any implication that they're related to humans in any way.
I can't see them as related to humans either. And remember that the squid variation is not the only type of Hideauze, we also have seen flower type, snail type, nautilus type, and several other sea related things, and none of those look even remotely human.

I don't know if I would call the teeth specifically "whale type" since there are other sea creatures with those type of teeth. Also, strangely Red doesn't call them "teeth" but "nail" or "claws", so they might use them not for eating, but for holding on to things.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-05-21, 15:37   Link #112
Gravitas Free Zone

The things ("nails") that Ledo is pulling out of the Machine Caliber and making flutes out of appear to be hooks from the squid/Hideauze's arms. (Actual colossal squid information here, see "Morphology," and "sheathed hooks" in this picture.)

The whalesquid's actual mouth area is somewhat more mammalian than cephalopod, but the actual cephalopod version would have looked like that from a bird or, well, human naughty bits.
Old 2013-05-26, 22:25   Link #113
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
The things ("nails") that Ledo is pulling out of the Machine Caliber and making flutes out of appear to be hooks from the squid/Hideauze's arms. (Actual colossal squid information here, see "Morphology," and "sheathed hooks" in this picture.)

The whalesquid's actual mouth area is somewhat more mammalian than cephalopod, but the actual cephalopod version would have looked like that from a bird or, well, human naughty bits.
Yes, that un-squidlike mouth suggests to me that there's a lot more to the Hideauze than Ledo's been told.

Everyone seems resigned now to how Chamber estimates the message
Spoiler for episode 8:
, but...what if they tracked him to Earth, deduced that it's inhabitable, and starting making their way there
Spoiler for episode 8:
, and they're just about to arrive?
Old 2013-05-26, 22:34   Link #114
Gravitas Free Zone

I don't really see Chamber pranking Ledo by telling him "Oh, I forgot to mention that we jumped 6000 years into the past," though...
Old 2013-05-26, 22:35   Link #115
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

How can you "track" something that's 6 thousand light years away?

Moreover they don't need 6 thousands years to travel to Earth, since they can use wormholes to get there. Supposedly as soon as they get Ledo's message they should be able to get to earth in a few days or months.

However unless Chamber lied, Ledo has been on Earth for only about 6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
I don't really see Chamber pranking Ledo by telling him "Oh, I forgot to mention that we jumped 6000 years into the past," though...
They would still need to wait 6000 years regardless.

Old 2013-05-26, 22:46   Link #116
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
Yes, that un-squidlike mouth suggests to me that there's a lot more to the Hideauze than Ledo's been told.

Everyone seems resigned now to how Chamber estimates the message
Spoiler for episode 8:
, but...what if they tracked him to Earth, deduced that it's inhabitable, and starting making their way there
Spoiler for episode 8:
, and they're just about to arrive?
Well it wouldn't take the Alliance that long to travel to Earth since they are capable of interstellar travel as well as manufacturing their own wormholes.

And Red is aware of the un-squidlike mouths since the snail and nautilus-like Hideauze in space have attacked him, also bearing mouths that would not be natural of their specific original species. It's obvious that even as this things originated from Earth, they have been quite mutated and are now much more predatory and powerful. I mean, since when does a snail need incisors like that?

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-05-26, 23:00   Link #117
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
And Red is aware of the un-squidlike mouths since the snail and nautilus-like Hideauze in space have attacked him, also bearing mouths that would not be natural of their specific original species.
Ledo never saw an octopus before, he doesn't know that squids aren't supposed to have those teeth. Even then he never thought that Hideauze are squids to begin with nor that they originated from Earth.

Old 2013-05-26, 23:11   Link #118
Irenesharda

Quote:
Ledo never saw an octopus before, he doesn't know that squids aren't supposed to have those teeth. Even then he never thought that Hideauze are squids to begin with nor that they originated from Earth.
In actuality I don't think he really cares regarding their origin, as of this point they are really neither squid nor snails nor flowers, to him they are all Hideauze.

Which is also interesting, that somehow all of these previous earth species now have a single shared genome and have become one species. I would really like them to explain the science on that!

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-05-27, 07:00   Link #119
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well I think everyone is expecting some kind of explanation about the Hideauze's origin and agenda, we've been teased a lot by them and we know almost nothing apart from some theories which may or may not be true.

I'd be really disappointed if they didn't give us answers by the end of the anime.

Speculating a bit I think it's interesting to note that the Hideauze followed the "milky way" on their path, I guess here's probably a connection between them and those nanomachines that Chamber talked about.

Old 2013-05-27, 10:11   Link #120
larethian

Quote:
It could be just a coincidence but.... well I guess I just can't exclude now that we will have a twist like: "hideauze is people!"
Perhaps, Hideauze = Mobile Suits piloted by people

Could be a coincidence or a joke. But that looks too much like a butt and even the scapula lines are where they are supposed to be.

Currently, I'm thinking along the lines that the people who left will get into some kind of trouble and it will Gargantia who will save them at the end.
Closed Thread