AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga > To Aru... Railgun [M/LN]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-29, 02:47   Link #21
mako1138
tsun tsun dere dere

The character designs look a bit different. SS = side story? Or "short story"?

That was me with the ch2 release, btw. Unfortunately I need to prepare for GREs etc. so I won't be releasing anything for the next few months. Someone take the project, please!
Old 2008-09-25, 00:23   Link #22
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
HURRAY TO HIDOI!!! Its translated up to chap 4 . Been wanting to read this since the first chapter was released. Can't read it until tomorrow though, even though I can't wait .
Old 2008-09-25, 01:56   Link #23
excelence

ugh yeah ... and some un taged spoiler on 1st page ... whatever Mikoto is much more adorable than Index (~^ ^)~
Old 2008-09-25, 03:51   Link #24
Mentar
Banned

I've been starting to look into the Index universe a bit, and the Mikoto sidestory is BY FAR the most enjoyable part of it ...

I think s_b said it perfectly - Mikoto is the right kind of tsundere. She's no Mary Sue, and she's got alot of flaws, but she's fun to watch. And seeing her go all-tilt over Touma is somehow too amusing to put in words. Add in some yuri vibes for color, good supporting characters and funny art, and you have lightweight, but thoroughly enjoyable entertainment.

Sign me on.
Old 2008-09-25, 14:23   Link #25
frubam
simp for Lyria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I've been starting to look into the Index universe a bit, and the Mikoto sidestory is BY FAR the most enjoyable part of it ...

I think s_b said it perfectly - Mikoto is the right kind of tsundere. She's no Mary Sue, and she's got alot of flaws, but she's fun to watch. And seeing her go all-tilt over Touma is somehow too amusing to put in words. Add in some yuri vibes for color, good supporting characters and funny art, and you have lightweight, but thoroughly enjoyable entertainment.

Sign me on.
Can't say it any better than this, though the first "villian" seems quite lacking compared to Magnius and Kanzaki. Also, though Touma seems more amusing in the Railgun manga, he's cooler in the Index manga, probably because in TAMni, he actually does some serious fighting.
Old 2008-09-25, 21:36   Link #26
Nemesis

great, now, there's another manga i have to read.
Old 2008-09-25, 21:43   Link #27
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
It is quite a good read for ... ... ... and Mikoto is awesome ... yea. Not sarcasm what so ever, it just that I find it hard to identify why I like it, or what I am... /pedobear.jpg. I actually got to volume 2 a while ago, but since I don't want to preform Necromancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelence View Post
ugh yeah ... and some un taged spoiler on 1st page ... whatever Mikoto is much more adorable than Index (~^ ^)~
I find all lolis with exception of Flan-chama equally moe. But lol, does that tsundere-ness really tap into it?
Old 2008-09-26, 00:48   Link #28
mako1138
tsun tsun dere dere

Yes, it bears repeating: Mikoto is the right kind of tsundere. :3

I'm also finding the Railgun manga more interesting than the Index manga so far. I expect that the Index novels are good (since they've continued on for so long) but my Japanese needs to level up before I can read novels at a decent pace.

In chapter 4 they go into more detail about the "Graviton" stuff. Since I like to compare sci-fi physics to real-world physics...

Spoiler for science-y rant:

Last edited by mako1138; 2008-09-26 at 06:24. Reason: shiroi -> shirai
Old 2008-09-26, 05:13   Link #29
excelence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izayoi View Post
It is quite a good read for ... ... ... and Mikoto is awesome ... yea. Not sarcasm what so ever, it just that I find it hard to identify why I like it, or what I am... /pedobear.jpg. I actually got to volume 2 a while ago, but since I don't want to preform Necromancy.

I find all lolis with exception of Flan-chama equally moe. But lol, does that tsundere-ness really tap into it?
yep... and fan boy opinion was banned XD

@mako : heh... the Psychic energy is science after all and Magic is a religion on that world setup lol
Old 2008-10-19, 15:17   Link #30
frubam
simp for Lyria

No matter what, ToumaXMikoto is always the best XD!
Spoiler for chap 5:
Honestly, I think I'm enjoying this better than TAMnI(did I say this before?), it feels like it's going more at my pace and it's funnier. Well, Mikoto and Touma/Uihara/Kuro is just more enjoyable(i.e. funnier) to watch/read than Touma's serious escapades.
Old 2008-10-19, 15:23   Link #31
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Honestly, I think I'm enjoying this better than TAMnI(did I say this before?), it feels like it's going more at my pace and it's funnier. Well, Mikoto and Touma/Uihara/Kuro is just more enjoyable(i.e. funnier) to watch/read than Touma's serious escapades.
I have to agree. Index is funny (surprisingly for the "magical girlfriend" archetype that I dislike) but the main story is just too shounen-serious *ahem* for me to fully enjoy.

This one with Mikoto and the gang running around is a lot more fun. Although, I hear the novels (and the main manga?) do switch around the main heroines...
Old 2008-10-19, 17:20   Link #32
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Good thing they didn't drag out the villian in this arc, cause he wasn't that good.
Truth. But on the other hand, he was absolutely hysterical in the last page of chapter 4.

Beware the SPOON MAN!
Old 2008-10-20, 21:53   Link #33
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well after hearing about this and seeing how much fun Mikoto has been in the anime so far decided to look into this. Looking forward to interactions with Touma in this. Now to start reading .
Spoiler for Chapter5:

Last edited by FlareKnight; 2008-10-20 at 22:42.
Old 2008-10-21, 02:15   Link #34
Mentar
Banned

The mangaka is a genius in displaying emotions. Seriously, his art is not "good" in any objective sense, but I absolutely adore his technique in displaying certain facets of character moods in hilarious ways. Seeing Mikoto with her angry-embarrassed blush after Touma "found" her was too cute for words ^_^

Spoiler for chapter 5 and Mikoto:
Old 2008-10-21, 09:57   Link #35
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

What I don't get is why she doesn't just use her railgun? Sure, he can cancel powers, but he can't cancel velocity, can he?
Old 2008-10-21, 10:07   Link #36
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
What I don't get is why she doesn't just use her railgun?
Because then he would die, and then Mikoto wouldn't have a rival anymore. ;_;
Old 2008-10-21, 10:15   Link #37
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

She doesn't have to use full power, does she?
Old 2008-10-21, 10:18   Link #38
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
She doesn't have to use full power, does she?
What's she going to do, throw the coin at him? It's a railgun--many times the speed of sound, etc... Not fun. And considering she just recently tried to slice him apart with an iron chainsaw whip, she doesn't strike me as one to hold back that much against her greatest rival.
Old 2008-10-21, 10:33   Link #39
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Put in less electricity, and it'll go slower. So just put in enough to hurt without killing him, and you're gold.

There's nothing special about railguns. I've seen the rail experiment performed and the accelerated object going at maybe 10cm/s.
Old 2008-10-21, 10:38   Link #40
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
What's she going to do, throw the coin at him? It's a railgun--many times the speed of sound, etc... Not fun. And considering she just recently tried to slice him apart with an iron chainsaw whip, she doesn't strike me as one to hold back that much against her greatest rival.
Guess the whole thing is a battle of inches. Too much power he's dead, too little and he could just dodge the thing. Not sure how much control she has regarding the power she's firing that thing off with. Can only recall her sending it out with a large amount of power behind it. Besides if she kills him then she can't really brag to him about it . I have to say the iron sand sword was a pretty impressive one. At least it could be handled since the electricity was the thing keeping the sand together.

Can't wait for the next time he riles her up since its pretty fun to watch .

Tags
fantasy, shounen