AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 67 38.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 49 28.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 18.02%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 10.47%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 2.91%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.58%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.58%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-05, 20:02   Link #21
Child_of_Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
ummm did anyone else notice alto dressed up as a geisha in the op? o.O
Not sure if that was really him, though considering the order of scenes it appeared on...it's probably Alto

Well he was being teased as a princess before...
Old 2008-04-05, 22:16   Link #22
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
So the enemy is possibly a sentient crustacean species? This is different.
not sure.

but interesting on the Wikipedia for MF this came up:

Quote:
During a mission to an unexplored asteroid belt, a reconnaissance New U.N. Spacy (N.U.N.S.) VF-171 is destroyed by extremely powerful & fast insectoid biomechanical alien mecha (called "Vajra", バジュラ in the official site),
The VAJRA

so, its insectoid, is it just me or is the insectoid alien archetype getting a bit tired?

thinking about it, i would prefer crustacean, but then again, crustacean could be viewed as ocean dwelling giant insect, so i guess the definition is moot.

*sigh*
Old 2008-04-06, 00:25   Link #23
Ardi220288
Rooaaarrrr

just watch the episode and just wow the animation is definitely over the top - I have great expectation for this series
Old 2008-04-06, 04:27   Link #24
Forceflow
Kyonko is not amused~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Forceflow
Just watched this episode while rewatching the De-Culture Edition.

While I absolutely adore Triangler, the first episode could have done without the OP.

Plus points:
*Extended concert scene which helps set up the love triangle.
*The actual NyanNyan CM. This made me LOL.

Minus points:
*The well-mixed concert/battle scene. This elimination I mourn deeply.
*Cut out of character moments. The team practising at the very start of the De-Culture edition for example.
*Music placement seemed abit off compared to the De-Culture edition. The orchestra piece that plays during the blitz on the fleet line is changed to the appearance of the Skull Squadron and extended to the actual time in actually plays. Have to give credit for the good remix but it lacked the impact of the De-Culture edition. The other point of contention in the music placement being the final scene in which Alto rescues Lanka. The piece seems alittle too drawn out in this version.

Final thoughs:
Would still prefer the De-Culture edition over this 1st episode but that would hindsight speaking. For the first broadcast episode, it is still a wonderful watch.
Old 2008-04-06, 08:06   Link #25
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
ummm did anyone else notice alto dressed up as a geisha in the op? o.O

Yep. We noticed but that's a spoiler if we go into it. It has a totally logical explanation that's not bad and was done in another title this year. See Alto's character thread for details.
Old 2008-04-06, 10:41   Link #26
Tabris

Like what seems to be a majority, I did prefer the deculture edition.

That all being said, it seems like the first episode is setting up things for the future. Despite the lack of the well synched battle scene, it seemed to play Alto off as a bit more of a hot-shot maverick, Luca(the team leader guy?) as someone who is quick on his feet with adjusting their routine after Alto caught Sheryl, and a bit of a flirt.

Just small things like that will probably add to their character, I think.

Looks good though.
Old 2008-04-06, 11:13   Link #27
Westlo
Lets be reality

Michael is the team leader.
Old 2008-04-06, 12:13   Link #28
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I posted some thoughts on the deculture edition of the first episode.

I was having some comp trouble the night I wrote it (Friday) so I couldn't watch any media then and played it from memory.
Old 2008-04-06, 13:50   Link #29
zalem

The animation is gorgeous. So high points for that. But I'm a bit concerned about the main characters. Not liking them much, especially Alto and Lanca. Sheryl I'm not too sure about. I think I need to see more of her. She could be a character I like though. Looks like there will be a large cast of characters, looks like fun.
Old 2008-04-06, 17:14   Link #30
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
not sure.
The VAJRA
Indira's ignorance destroying thunderbolt. Hmm. I've seen worse names for mecha.
Old 2008-04-06, 18:40   Link #31
Tabris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Michael is the team leader.
Ah, okay. I was going to rewatch the deculture edition just to make sure, but I didn't get round to it. At least I know for next time :3
Old 2008-04-07, 00:17   Link #32
Ottocycle

While it was quite a loss that much of the godly interposing between the concert and the dogfighting was gone, I actually liked what they added in in it's stead. Things like Sheryl being more of a bitch, Alto's reasons for being hostile towards any mention of his crossdressing past, things like that.

Not to mention the glider(or whatever you want to call that human jet backpack) formations after the error were pretty awesome, and the producers have got to save some up in store for the more impactful future episodes.

And oh yeah, the OP's not an insta-win song, but it's growing on me. ED has quite a bit to catch up on though.
Old 2008-04-07, 04:55   Link #33
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Hopefully there'll be some kind of director's cut combining the 2 together on the dvd, that way we get an ULTIMATE version of episode 1
Old 2008-04-07, 05:10   Link #34
Westlo
Lets be reality

Yes I'm very interested in seeing what they give us in the dvd version.

Last edited by Westlo; 2008-04-07 at 09:37. Reason: grammar
Old 2008-04-07, 11:07   Link #35
Icehawk

Anyone know if this was broadcast in HD? I really hope so. Would suck if we were stuck with SD for a show like this.
Old 2008-04-07, 13:05   Link #36
4Tran

Macross Frontier is broadcast in 1280x720, so that makes it 720p.
Old 2008-04-07, 13:11   Link #37
Westlo
Lets be reality

^ That's good to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I was having some comp trouble the night I wrote it (Friday) so I couldn't watch any media then and played it from memory.
I understand why you dislike the opening song but what's with the opening animation hate? It's not the best of the season or near the best Satelight can do (hello Noein) but its nowhere near as bad as your making it out to be. The sequence from 1:03-1:10 rocks... have you watched it in better than youtube quality? I also wouldn't be surprised if that op gets a few new scenes in some places very soon.
Old 2008-04-07, 17:39   Link #38
Icehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Macross Frontier is broadcast in 1280x720, so that makes it 720p.
Awsome, I was a little worried because the "Deculture Edition" of the first episode never was broadcast in HD (1280x720p or 1920x1080i/p) and I had to settle for an upscaled version of the SD. It looked alright though, definitly better than the 704x400 SD version because somebody was smart enough to run some cleanup filters on it, but it still was obvious that it was not from a native 720p source.

Last edited by Icehawk; 2008-04-07 at 20:47.
Old 2008-04-07, 21:52   Link #39
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
so I guess since eps deculture edition has already broadcasted in 2007 fansub group will skip this one and will start chunking sub+karaoke in the next eps ?
Old 2008-04-07, 23:44   Link #40
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

the first sub is out. and it sucks. i dled it on an apple and it says cannot play because of some public atom. never seen that in my life... i have perian, vlc, etc. movie cuts off at 6 minutes. bad bad group.

well, i got it to work, but this ep wasn't as enjoyable as the deculture version. sure, you got to see the interaction between alto and sheryl, but the rest of it was butchered up pretty badly.

7/10

Last edited by germanturkey; 2008-04-08 at 00:01.
Closed Thread