AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-06-13, 10:41   Link #1
alexandro98

Question The Pocky discussion thread

Hi ya!
I dont know exactly where to post this but I thought my fellow Anime fans will know and help!
Local store called Hastins sells pocky for 1.79 a box, but at the rate I eat it ( more like consume, dang addictive stuff... hehe ) I figured I better see if I can buy it cheaper somewhere else. Ive looked around and around on the web and havent found a place yet that sells pocky cheaper than a 1.79 a box. That store has to be making profit off of it, so there has to be somewhere out there cheaper. So where do you order your Pocky from? Thanks in advance!
alexandro98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 11:36   Link #2
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

May I ask a simple question?

What is so special about Pockys? To me it's just a stick covered in sugar paste with artificial colors and flavors.

For the past several months, I came to the conclusion that Westerners love Pocky because they see it in anime, and that they will pay an outrageous price for one box. Frankly, I'm more surprised that you guys didn't have Pocky for all these years - there are tons of Pocky look-a-likes around the world which, I assume, are much more cheaper.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 11:49   Link #3
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980

What is so special about Pockys? To me it's just a stick covered in sugar paste with artificial colors and flavors.

For the past several months, I came to the conclusion that Westerners love Pocky because they see it in anime, and that they will pay an outrageous price for one box. Frankly, I'm more surprised that you guys didn't have Pocky for all these years - there are tons of Pocky look-a-likes around the world which, I assume, are much more cheaper.
To be honest with you kj1980, I thought domestically produced chocolate in Japan wasn't that bad, I spent a year travelling round the world and would rate it much higher than the crap they have to eat in America (hell the chocolate in India was better than Hersheys!!!) just compare and contrast Cadbury's or Belgian/Swiss chocolate and you'll see what I mean.
I guess the main problem is that ordinary chocolate melts at a temperture very close to that of the human body therefore if you have a country which has very hot seasons around 28 degrees celsius or above then this becomes a problem and you get those "waxy" preservatives added to the chocolate that ensures it doesn't melt in the shop yet sadly really ruins the texture. (Flavour is another thing all together).

Of course this also comes down to a question of taste so its a matter of opinion for individuals...I do feel sorry for anyone who hasn't had the chance to sample anything other than Hershey's though....
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 12:43   Link #4
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
Quote:

the 'regular' pocky i dont like
the stuff like decor and mousse are goood though
but pocky isnt the only good japanese snack out there
horn, koala's, pandas, etc are also quite good
here, i dont buy pocky unless i can find it cheap at a small store, or can order it at cost from the place i work
anything else is just stupid
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 13:03   Link #5
Secca
nya`
*Artist

awww Pocky. ^^

Pocky is a favorite for me since I was in grade school, I would go after school to my local convenience store to buy pocky almost everyday if I have money. The soft chocolate taste is like heaven in my mouth. ~_~

After I moved to US, it's kinda hard to find the original Pocky anymore, I saw alot imitations sold in supermarkets, and only in china town. They also have alot of different flavors now.

In my travels, I went to Vancouver, Canada and I found a specialty shop that sell only Pocky. I cannot remember the name, if anyone know that shop, please let me know the name or address. But that shop sell all the different kinds of Pocky including the giant Pocky. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 13:17   Link #6
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
I googled this 'cuz I didnt know what they were. I used to eat these all the time when I was little, but I never knew the name. These things are pretty damn good ^^:

tsurumaru youre right about the chocolate. We americans are missing out >_>. I like some Belgium chocolate and others, but some of those are so rich they make my stomach upset. I like the ones leaning more on the bitter side.
SiL Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 13:20   Link #7
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandro98
Hi ya!
I dont know exactly where to post this but I thought my fellow Anime fans will know and help!
Local store called Hastins sells pocky for 1.79 a box, but at the rate I eat it ( more like consume, dang addictive stuff... hehe ) I figured I better see if I can buy it cheaper somewhere else. Ive looked around and around on the web and havent found a place yet that sells pocky cheaper than a 1.79 a box. That store has to be making profit off of it, so there has to be somewhere out there cheaper. So where do you order your Pocky from? Thanks in advance!
pocky's been a childhood comfort food too- i remember eating them with my sibling all the time. so to answer your question, i did a quick search on google, and ended up with this site. http://freewebs.com/batsugal/ostatus.html
i'm not quite sure how it really works out, but it looks like it's $0.89 per box. they also have the strawberry flavored ones, as well as yan yan, hello panda, and hello bee bee. mmm! : ) have fun!
Ambience Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 13:22   Link #8
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Strawberry pocky is the best!

My Japanese friend brought a couple boxes of Pocky back for me last summer. Anyone ever try tropical coconut pocky?
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 13:56   Link #9
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Compared to Japan, we in the US face a dearth of snacks, a few different flavors of potato and corn chips, and about 15 candy bars and a couple other lackluster things thrown in, while in Japan there seems to be a wider selection of types of snacks.

I like the "Men’s" dark chocolate Pocky, along with Meji black chocolate and bitter chocolate covered almonds. I have always like dark chocolate, but unfortunately 99.9% of chocolate in the US is milk chocolate, which has always been to sweet for my taste.

Just before leaving Japan I usually buy a large amount of chocolate to bring home. One time I was buying essentially a case of the Meji Black chocolate that was sitting behind the ones out for sale, the clerk asked me a couple of times if I realized how much chocolate I was buying, to which I replied affirmatively.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 14:21   Link #10
anime_luver

Send a message via MSN to anime_luver
aahhhhh pocky. i've eaten all my life and i live in canada. honestly, it is really easy to find for me. i walk to my local chinese/vietnamese supermarket and there's a dozens of kinds. there are also all the other japanese sweets and candy, no chocolate though . i like pocky g....mmmm...

errrr, back on topic. what kind of pocky are you trying to buy? i bet if you can make a deal with the owner of the store to sell you bulk pocky, he'd do it. my friend bought a couple of cases of pocky somewhere in toronto. i don't know where though, i can ask him for you.

EDIT: at my local store, strawberry small boxes are $0.99 each. i live in toronto btw. thats $0.99 CND. but i think me living in toronto gives that away.

Last edited by anime_luver; 2004-06-13 at 15:17.
anime_luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 14:37   Link #11
LIQUIDCELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
In my travels, I went to Vancouver, Canada and I found a specialty shop that sell only Pocky. I cannot remember the name, if anyone know that shop, please let me know the name or address. But that shop sell all the different kinds of Pocky including the giant Pocky. ^^

Are you refering to the Japanese store in Robson St? Yeah, all kinds of pockey flavors---they also have the super size ones. Unfortunately, the prices are super uber high as well.
LIQUIDCELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 14:57   Link #12
cdpinoyx01

Hmm... just go to an oriental market or something... they are pretty cheap around there. The prices are usually like 75 cents to a dollar over there for a box. I think there are also packages you can get for pretty cheap. ^^ I don't know how many oriental supermarkets there are over there, but theres plenty around here near SF.
cdpinoyx01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 15:15   Link #13
MwyC

to avoid confusion
i think we shoul dadd in the currency that we are using when quoting prices
as $0.75USD is quite different from $0.75 CDN
robson generally is not good to buy stuff from
rent there is high, ergo, stuff there is expensive
Old 2004-06-13, 17:39   Link #14
Tritium
doaho...

we have a big oriental store here you can compare it too eeh what's a big store in america wallmart? they have all the stuff you guys said there 4 different pocky's if i can remember it correctly.. they are around $0.80 ^^ i'm so lucky. And they also have a million different cup ramen there
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 17:51   Link #15
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

alexandro98, have you tried E-bay?
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 18:10   Link #16
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUIDCELL

Are you refering to the Japanese store in Robson St? Yeah, all kinds of pockey flavors---they also have the super size ones. Unfortunately, the prices are super uber high as well.
I don't think I'm gona eat the giant one, the size kinda intimidating. >_<

A link to Pocky gallery. ^^

http://www.alde.com/anime/pocky1.html
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 19:45   Link #17
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

Lol, a discussion on Pocky.
I grew up on this stuff. It was one of my favorite childhoot snakcs [along w/ Choco Pies, which I'm eating right now, and those ice bars in the plastic... tubing stuff, with a bottleneck in the middle]. I grew up in Orange County, CA, so that might be why.
It's sort of weird, comparing American sweets to Oriental ones.
I do agree with kj1980, though. Many people like Pocky [or think they do] because they see it in anime. Although it is fun to eat [for me, really fast, w/ as many nibbles as possible], I soon grew out of it. It is nice to have it occasionally now and then [here and there. Lol, pun].
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 22:11   Link #18
Shift_

pocky here is cheap...but that's probally due to the larger asian population in my area...

anyways...those who have just tried pocky...wtf? where do you guys live so I can avoid these wierd places

I've been eating pocky since I was like 3...

go asian culture...we're slowly taking over the world...without using force too...pretty impressive...muhahahahaahahhaah

Acctually if you can find a place online to order it out of china it might be the cheapest...

When I went there to visit a few years ago, pocky and other related snacks were like 10-20% of the price I would pay for them here + shipping it would probally still be much cheaper than buying it here

The best stuff I love eating are the red bean ice bar things So perfect for a hot summer day.

But there are too many snacks...now I'm hungry...
Shift_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 22:33   Link #19
MwyC

but with shipping, wont the pocky be in little bits?
Old 2004-06-13, 23:41   Link #20
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Quote:

Well, I initially bought them because of anime, but later on I started really liking Pocky so I now buy them because I like them. I like Strawberry flavor and I haven't tried any other flavor to this day. The pocky at my local oriental store cost only $1.