AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2017-03-17, 14:17   Link #16741
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
Even extraordinary mages like Gildarts and Jellal, and one of the most powerful offensive magics in existence, Fairy Glitter, couldn't defeat him. Rightfully so, since August is the son of two demigod-like beings. He lived up to his reputation.

Still, he had to pass away. That's how the story goes. He questions the meaning and value of love like a frigid creature that's never experienced it but in the end he's still subject to his underlying humanity. He can't kill his mother.

It's not like there was no way to kill Irene and August. Mashima could've just had Acnologia take out both of them. That would've been clean, simple, plausible, and it would have no meaning. Allowing themselves to die because they can't kill their family, their deaths were perfect.
that's besides the point. The problem is just as much as people hate OP heroes (i'm not one of them) OP villians are just as problematic

Im the current vice-general of the DxD Army (aka the translators army.
We support translators efforts and i do not tolerate impatience by people waiting for translations

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6980252/ This is my fanfiction page i have 6 stories to check out if you guys are interested
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-17, 14:24   Link #16742
Casshern

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
that's besides the point. The problem is just as much as people hate OP heroes (i'm not one of them) OP villians are just as problematic
Overpowered is a matter of perspective. For the kind of creatures that they were, Irene and August weren't overpowered. Compared to Acnologia, Zeref and Natsu, they weren't overpowered. For a narrative that wanted to present two obstacles that were insurmountable by anything other than love, they were adequately powerful.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-17, 15:24   Link #16743
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
It was August who was Zeref's son.....
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-17, 16:01   Link #16744
immblueversion

Quote:
It was a fair way to wrap things up imo. The two strongest spriggan couldn't be defeated in combat, validating the spriggan's reputation. They ended up dying because they couldn't bring themselves to kill their own family, reinforcing the theme of love. It ties up very nicely. August's ending was sad though. I wish there had been slightly more interaction with Mavis towards August's end, a word between them or something.
That's one way to look at it. I understand, and even appreciate, that Mashima made opponents that even Fairy Tail's strongest wizards couldn't out-muscle like they almost always do, necessitating a different approach that would adhere to Fairy Tail's themes, in this case the power of love and family... But August's defeat just raises too many questions.

Isn't Mavis immortal? Or is she free of the curse now? If she's not immortal anymore, why wasn't that established sooner? Otherwise, if she's still immortal, what would August care? We've seen Zeref recover from deadly injuries, so clearly Mavis could do the same. And what about Fairy Heart? Did August forget about that when he decided to blow up the world, or is that really not relevant? If he's that okay with blowing up the world, why didn't he do it in the first place? Would Zeref and Acnologia survive the world blowing up? Or are all of these inquiries moot in the face of human emotion?

...Or maybe August inherited the curse of contradiction from his parents, but on a much lower, less inherently lethal scale that only affected his thoughts like Zeref's going through now? Because that would actually make sense.

EDIT: Well, after reading the chapter again, I suppose he wasn't actually trying to blow up the world; he was only boasting that he had that capacity. It was never clear, especially since Natsu and Zeref didn't even seem to notice the spell, but if August could control the range and never realized Mavis was within it, then that would make sense. Still, it really feels like the "power of love" approach could've been less...anti-climactic.

I just know what you should be doing.

Last edited by immblueversion; 2017-03-17 at 18:02.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-17, 18:40   Link #16745
Casshern

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
That's one way to look at it. I understand, and even appreciate, that Mashima made opponents that even Fairy Tail's strongest wizards couldn't out-muscle like they almost always do, necessitating a different approach that would adhere to Fairy Tail's themes, in this case the power of love and family... But August's defeat just raises too many questions.

Isn't Mavis immortal? Or is she free of the curse now? If she's not immortal anymore, why wasn't that established sooner? Otherwise, if she's still immortal, what would August care? We've seen Zeref recover from deadly injuries, so clearly Mavis could do the same. And what about Fairy Heart? Did August forget about that when he decided to blow up the world, or is that really not relevant? If he's that okay with blowing up the world, why didn't he do it in the first place? Would Zeref and Acnologia survive the world blowing up? Or are all of these inquiries moot in the face of human emotion?

...Or maybe August inherited the curse of contradiction from his parents, but on a much lower, less inherently lethal scale that only affected his thoughts like Zeref's going through now? Because that would actually make sense.

EDIT: Well, after reading the chapter again, I suppose he wasn't actually trying to blow up the world; he was only boasting that he had that capacity. It was never clear, especially since Natsu and Zeref didn't even seem to notice the spell, but if August could control the range and never realized Mavis was within it, then that would make sense. Still, it really feels like the "power of love" approach could've been less...anti-climactic.
Yes, that's a good point. She probably wouldn't have died. Possibly just seeing her caused the sudden change of heart.
Old 2017-03-17, 18:51   Link #16746
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
Overpowered is a matter of perspective. For the kind of creatures that they were, Irene and August weren't overpowered. Compared to Acnologia, Zeref and Natsu, they weren't overpowered. For a narrative that wanted to present two obstacles that were insurmountable by anything other than love, they were adequately powerful.
they were supposedly the strongest of his warriors and considering that God Serena was as low on the totem pole as he was it doesn't help. Still it ended poorly

Im the current vice-general of the DxD Army (aka the translators army.
We support translators efforts and i do not tolerate impatience by people waiting for translations

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6980252/ This is my fanfiction page i have 6 stories to check out if you guys are interested
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-17, 19:48   Link #16747
immblueversion

Quote:
Yes, that's a good point. She probably wouldn't have died. Possibly just seeing her caused the sudden change of heart.
No, it wasn't just seeing her. Seeing Gildarts embrace Cana during what seemed sure was their demise is what first sparked his feelings of humanity. Seeing Mavis after that is what set his feelings ablaze. I understand that, but when August figured Mavis would be the one to defeat him, having her unknowingly psyche him out of a suicide attack that ended up killing him anyway wasn't what I had in mind for his demise.

Furthermore, it just feels like the decision to make August the son of Zeref and Mavis could've been more important beyond explaining how he could be defeated. It's like the payoff of that epic twist last week was all so we could see the strongest wizard in existence kick the bucket just because he didn't want to hurt his mommy. And maybe that wouldn't have been so bad, except August was still an underling, an obstacle to defeating the final villain, not the villain himself. He was practically invented to be beaten, and yet

Forgive me for sounding like a hypocrite given my distaste for hitting Ctrl+Z on character death scenes, but for all we know, August's role in the story didn't just end right when he became interesting; it was ended by the very thing that made him interesting. And I can't accept that so easily.

Old 2017-03-18, 04:17   Link #16748
Casshern

For sure there was more that could've been done with him and there were a few things that annoyed me about his story, such as how Precht abandoned him and how Zeref didn't even learn about him in his last moments. but at this point imo it would just be fanservice. I think his backstory was handled a bit clumsily but I'm ok with the conclusion.

On the one hand I wanted a bit more backstory, on the other hand I'm anxious to see what happens next so I'm glad we're moving at the usual Mashima pace.
Old 2017-03-18, 11:44   Link #16749
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I think the whole point of his backstory was the fact that he was not recognized by Precht, Zeref and Mavis. He spent his life following a father that didn't look at him as family...but then again, even if Zeref knew, it would have been fatal for August anyway. How much did he know about Mavis? I guess we'll never find out.

Although I was hyped for August being the final lieutenant under Zeref and being defeated in a battle of wits against Mavis and FT, the way it turned out wasn't bad at all.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-18, 18:02   Link #16750
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
I think the whole point of his backstory was the fact that he was not recognized by Precht, Zeref and Mavis. He spent his life following a father that didn't look at him as family...but then again, even if Zeref knew, it would have been fatal for August anyway. How much did he know about Mavis? I guess we'll never find out.

Although I was hyped for August being the final lieutenant under Zeref and being defeated in a battle of wits against Mavis and FT, the way it turned out wasn't bad at all.
I'm starting to feel the same way. Again, as controversial the execution was, having August destroy himself still preserves his status as one of the strongest wizards in the world. But really, making August the son of Zeref and Mavis is too juicy of an opportunity to use merely as a means of defeat. I'm hoping that, just like Precht, he'll continue to make a posthumous contribution to the story. Or maybe Mashima will pull something else out of his butt like he always does. But at the same time, I wouldn't really change this outcome, either.

Old 2017-03-24, 14:36   Link #16751
immblueversion

Spoiler for Chapter 528:

Old 2017-03-24, 22:04   Link #16752
B214

Spoiler for 528:
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-24, 23:33   Link #16753
n0m@n
C-Z

That mysterious woman at the end. Perhaps it's Lucy's mom who we all thought was dead.
Old 2017-03-25, 00:04   Link #16754
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Or future Lucy again
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-25, 00:08   Link #16755
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
Or future Lucy again
Please no more time travel shenanigans. I'd rather it be Anna or Layla.
Old 2017-03-25, 00:19   Link #16756
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
Please no more time travel shenanigans. I'd rather it be Anna or Layla.
As if neither of them would be involved via time travel shenanigans. And as I said before, if this turns out to be Layla before she gained her frail physical condition, it may yet explain why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B214 View Post
Spoiler for 528:
I found Acnologia's non-elemental power to be the next logical step above multi-element Dragon Slayers. Plus, being immune to all magic and able to devour any spell completely explains how he's so damn invincible. So it stands to reason Zeref thinks Fairy Heart will work by overstuffing him with magic.

Old 2017-03-25, 07:33   Link #16757
ChuckE
Provoker

So nobody was one-shotted by Acnologia. Well...
Old 2017-03-25, 09:07   Link #16758
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckE View Post
So nobody was one-shotted by Acnologia. Well...
That may be, but I do admire Jellal for not falling into the trap that got God Serena one-shotted: he went right on the offensive, with zero pre-fight banter. Clearly Acnologia has a weakness for toying with people he recognizes as strong foes; if this was Sirius Island or Tartaros, they'd probably be dead and he wouldn't even remember their faces.

Old 2017-03-25, 11:45   Link #16759
Ultragunner

I bet the "mysterious" lady at the end is Lamia Scale's guild master aka grandma Ooba Babasaama

Why? Because f'ng Ichiya is with here
Old 2017-03-26, 00:43   Link #16760
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

oh they introduced new character...

anyway, glad to see Jellal reunited with his waifu... and showcased some Sieghart's magic there

it is clear that Dragon Slayers are those who can beat Acnologia since they're not really using magic
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen