Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-06-20, 19:30   Link #1
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Do ANY fansub groups still use honorifics?

I'm desperate. When groups just flat-out ignore them or use the character's name instead of "big sister"/"big brother" it is SO distracting that I can't watch that version. I like seeing what I'm hearing. Same goes for substituting first name for surname...........WHY WHY WHY DON'T DO THAT, FOR THE LOVE OF......

If this thread is in the wrong forum, I apologize. I just didn't know where to go since the fansub sub-forum is retired.

But please don't post something like "It's no big deal; get over it". For me, it IS a big deal, okay?
Old 2015-06-20, 19:48   Link #2
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
I like seeing what I'm hearing.
I suppose you're hearing what a person might say in Japanese and seeing what that same person might say in English.
Old 2015-06-20, 20:12   Link #3
Chiibi

Yes, I'm semi-fluent....so I'm nit-picky about translations. lol
Old 2015-06-20, 20:26   Link #4
IceHism

Quote:
I'm desperate. When groups just flat-out ignore them or use the character's name instead of "big sister"/"big brother" it is SO distracting that I can't watch that version. I like seeing what I'm hearing. Same goes for substituting first name for surname...........WHY WHY WHY DON'T DO THAT, FOR THE LOVE OF......

If this thread is in the wrong forum, I apologize. I just didn't know where to go since the fansub sub-forum is retired.

But please don't post something like "It's no big deal; get over it". For me, it IS a big deal, okay?
This isn't really a group thing except commie which says no honorifics. It usually depends on who(individually) is translating and whether the show needs honorifics based on its setting. Anyways, it seems like you want a literal translation? Most groups have moved on to liberal translations because they are translating largely for a crowd that don't care about the Japanese language as much as you do.

You would probably have more luck just watching the whole thing raw if you are semi-fluent and just turning it on for things that you don't understand.
Old 2015-06-20, 20:32   Link #5
Chiibi

No, it doesn't have to be that literal; just honorifics are good enough.

Well it's good to know only [a certain fansubbing group] does that then. Thank you. I'm really not THAT advanced Going by ear is very hard. I'm better at reading raws than hearing them.

Last edited by Flower; 2015-06-21 at 11:25. Reason: Please do not directly name fansubbing groups by name....
Old 2015-06-21, 03:19   Link #6
Honoakari
Lurking Member

I know the feeling. Sometimes I am forced to check out several versions of the same episode before I start watching a series...

I deeply abhor localized subs. Reasons include:

- translating terms that don't have a clear equivalent in English instead of letting them as they are (e.g. honorifics);
- reversing the name order (why are you writing a Japanese name in English order when it's clearly pronounced in Japanese order in the audio?);
- a method of transliteration which removes "o"s and "u"s... IMO, the roman letters should 100% correspond to the kana used. For example, when a name like ゲンドウ (from Evangelion) is clearly written using a "ge", "n", "do", and "u", then it's only logical to romanize it as "Gendou" instead of "Gendo" (or, god forbid, "Gendoh");
- using English terms/expressions that are overly colloquial;
- and more.

On several occasions, I've seriously considered switching to the RAWs. In my case, it would only take a little more concentration, plus the discomfort of having to pause the video and check the dictionary when some unknown term appears.

I guess Japanese subs would make a good transition from English subs to RAWs...

Anyway, returning to the problem at hand... There are still fansubber groups that use honorifics, I think, although I'm not sure naming them here would be a good idea.
Old 2015-06-21, 04:06   Link #7
monster

Quote:
Yes, I'm semi-fluent....so I'm nit-picky about translations. lol
The thing is, you probably wouldn't see a person saying it in English like that.
Old 2015-06-21, 11:28   Link #8
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoakari View Post
...Anyway, returning to the problem at hand... There are still fansubber groups that use honorifics, I think, although I'm not sure naming them here would be a good idea.
Agreed.

Long and the short of it is that they do exist.

However, we kinda discourage mentioning fansubbing groups by name in here, so for now - thread closed.