2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.48%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.95%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-01-20, 20:14   Link #61
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
It doesn't have to be all sugar and sweetness and puffy clouds and fields of flowers and what-not, but I do insist that all the girls be alive for the ending.
Then, I'm afraid you should move on to other shows. Having Urobuchi Gen go for a full reset would be a miracle of such proportions that it would take more than 1 Magical Girl for it.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 20:15   Link #62
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
This is absolutely 100% a grief seed. I rechecked from ep2 and 3.
No, no, I meant that it's a different icon from Mami's.

I figured previously that if a Soul Gem becomes a Grief Seed, since they both have a motif of "small icon on top of large round thing", the icon would remain the same. There isn't really a precedent for it, but it makes sense intuitively.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 20:19   Link #63
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Also, how in the world did Homura know this witch was stronger than what Mami was expecting?

And in knowing so, and yet being confident she, rather than Mami, could defeat it, has Homura been pretending to be far weaker than she actually is?

Mami has...woops....had ;p seemed pretty confident that she could defeat Homura, but now I'm left wondering.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 20:22   Link #64
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Then, I'm afraid you should move on to other shows.
Already on that. But I'll keep listening for spoilers in the hope the show will pull a HiME ending to save the girls. And to everyone who didn't like that.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 20:32   Link #65
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Also, how in the world did Homura know this witch was stronger than what Mami was expecting?

And in knowing so, and yet being confident she, rather than Mami, could defeat it, has Homura been pretending to be far weaker than she actually is?

Mami has...woops....had ;p seemed pretty confident that she could defeat Homura, but now I'm left wondering.
When has Homura pretended to be weak? She chooses not to fight several times, but that doesn't mean she's weak or scared of Mami.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 20:39   Link #66
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
When has Homura pretended to be weak? She chooses not to fight several times, but that doesn't mean she's weak or scared of Mami.
It just seems weird that she'd warn Mami, but then pretend to be helpless and let herself be chained up, while watching Mami walk to her doom (and one could speculate she could easily have unchained herself after watching her fight the witch).

The two actions seem to contradict each other. Of course, I could be totally overthinking things and Homura really was helpless when wrapped in Mami's ribbons, and that we shouldn't take Homura's actions against the witch as meaning she could have easily evaded/removed those ribbons of Mami's.
Old 2011-01-20, 20:43   Link #67
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

I bet you could beat up someone really muscular in a fight if they were tied up, right? She's clearly stronger, but it probably didn't do any good in that situation.
Old 2011-01-20, 20:49   Link #68
Clarste
Human

Homura has never shown any intention of attacking another human. Mami's ribbons probably caught her off guard because she wasn't expecting to actually fight. And they only disappeared after Mami died, presumably because she was powering them.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 20:59   Link #69
Marisa Kirisame
Previously cicido

This episode was just amazing. Not just for the ending but also the way it was set up. To be honest I have no idea what's going to happen from now on but I'm sure it's going to be a great ride.

Even the girls want her...
Marisa Kirisame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 21:07   Link #70
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
The cake this ep was to DIE for
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 21:08   Link #71
ChronoReverse

Considering Homura went "Masaka" when the binds disappeared with more emotion that she's shown in her other lines, I'm 100% certain that she wasn't faking it to get Mami offed.

Incidentally, the Grief Seed from the end is also the witch's. It fell from the sky and even landed on an entirely different table from... Mami's remains.

Also, Homura's teleportation ability isn't unlimited. Even in the very first 5 minutes of episode 1 we see her get hit. Clearly if she were to be taken by surprise, she'd get caught.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 21:10   Link #72
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
The cake this ep was to DIE for
To think that you can have your cake and get eaten too! Wait...
Old 2011-01-20, 21:11   Link #73
Qikz

Spoiler for Ending:
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 21:13   Link #74
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
Considering Homura went "Masaka" when the binds disappeared with more emotion that she's shown in her other lines, I'm 100% certain that she wasn't faking it to get Mami offed.

Incidentally, the Grief Seed from the end is also the witch's. It fell from the sky and even landed on an entirely different table from... Mami's remains.
Yeah she was definitely not happy with how things worked out. Though it's certainly not like she didn't do everything that she could. Gave a clear warning that Mami completely ignored. Maybe if she had showed off her strength earlier then she might have been believed, but wasn't something she had to do.

But damn, I had a bad feeling when Mami started talking like that near the end. Plus how she was knocking around the witch made it clear her finishing move wouldn't work, but didn't think she'd just get killed there. Wonder if either of the girls can use a wish to revive her from the dead.
Old 2011-01-20, 21:19   Link #75
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Pretty sure that's how Madoka is going to get drawn in, and Sayaka will probably follow with a wish for her guy.

While it's possible that the OP scenes featuring the trio are symbolic, I kind of doubt it at this point.
Old 2011-01-20, 21:25   Link #76
Stefkov

I was wondering why the grief seed had what looks like a cage around it but I checked episode 2 and it's just the design.
I like that they've got different designs that match the environment/witch. The one from ep 2 had a butterfly at the top of it, the one in ep 3 looks like a cake.

I'm kind of sad how it ended. I was expecting Kyuube to take the opportunity alone with Sayaka to chat with her and make her decide on a wish.
I was going to ask why Madoka has such strong powers but then I remembered it's a mahou shoujo show. Nanoha taught me that you don't need a reason.
Stefkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 21:39   Link #77
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Btw, was this episode confirmation that Homura can, in fact, hear Kyubei?

She sure seemed to be able to when she interjected there when Kyubei (who's mouth was most definitely not moving) was telling the girls to make their wish.

Now I'm just loling if she was able to hear all the comments at school concerning her from Sayako etc.
Old 2011-01-20, 21:43   Link #78
Asterisk
Irregularity

Dang.

Scary show.
Old 2011-01-20, 21:58   Link #79
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

A real pity about Mami. Just when she thought her life was getting better, then that... To be expected of Urobuchi. I wouldn't have thought that she would die, considering the OP shows the three of them hanging out.

I'm interested in Homura's reactions. She knew about the witch and that it was too strong for Mami. Yet, she was honestly surprised when Mami died, as if it couldn't have happened. More proof that she's a time traveler. Mami really shouldn't have tied her up, she probably wouldn't have died if she and Homura tag teamed her.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 22:06   Link #80
ChronoReverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefkov View Post
I'm kind of sad how it ended. I was expecting Kyuube to take the opportunity alone with Sayaka to chat with her and make her decide on a wish.
I was going to ask why Madoka has such strong powers but then I remembered it's a mahou shoujo show. Nanoha taught me that you don't need a reason.
Ironically, there's a reason for Nanoha to be strong. It was mentioned that magic capable people from her Earth wasn't common but when the manifest, they're extremely powerful.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote