AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Full Metal Panic

Notices

Old 2015-10-24, 09:41   Link #41
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Wait what? WAIT WHAAAAT?!!!

Yeah, I'm hyped. Was just thinking the other day I should rewatch the first 3 series. Time for a marathon. Also need to find the novels; been meaning to read those for ages.
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-24, 10:38   Link #42
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I personally think Fumoffu is probably the greatest comedy anime of all time (though Daily Lives of High School Boys gives it a run for its money), so I'm a bit partial to KyoAni doing the series. Gatoh for the most part has been working with them almost exclusively, which makes it perplexing that the chara designs don't look anywhere near KyoAni recent designs nor Fumoffu/TSR.

I would find it incredibly funny if he decided to go back to Gonzo this time around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark998 View Post
I watched all FMP and Fumoffu because someone lent me CDs with the entire series, that was many years ago before torrents were a thing.
Just minor nitpick, but torrents were already a thing in 2003, the year Fumoffu was released. I should know, since I started torrenting (more IRC back then though) and by that extension, visiting this site around that time. Now whether or not Fumoffu was subbed during that time is another story, as fansubbers were slow as molasses back then.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-24, 15:52   Link #43
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
What strange times we live in that anime from 10 years ago will get a continuation. Fans crying for this to get a continuation has been a bigger meme longer than the whole Index III debacle.

What exciting news.
Index III will take the post left by FMP .

Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-24, 16:13   Link #44
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Can't wait for it. Hope it's not a reboot and instead a sequel to The Second Raid
Old 2015-10-24, 16:27   Link #45
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

oh boy... I remembered this anime when I was in middle school
probably one of anime that teach me about ecchi genre

I'm glad to see Tessa-chan again...
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-24, 16:29   Link #46
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

AH! This is amazing news!
Now if only we got Spice and Wolf III and Index III. I'd be a happy man.
Old 2015-10-24, 16:38   Link #47
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

I think Magdala no Nemure or World End Economica anime is more possible than Spice and Wolf 3 unfortunately.
Nachtwandler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-24, 20:43   Link #48
Izumo
Banned

Yessss yesss!!! Oh god i can't manage this hype!
Izumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-24, 22:33   Link #49
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Man, I don't even know how to react. It hasn't sunk in yet .
Old 2015-10-24, 23:22   Link #50
The One Above God
Kamijou

Welp, time to rewatch the previous seasons.

"I'll destroy that illusion!"
The One Above God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-25, 04:15   Link #51
Malicre

Not sure whats better news, Tenchi Muyo Continuation or FMP Continuation. would be pretty fantastic for both these shows to air in the same anime season.
Malicre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-25, 04:33   Link #52
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Never had any attachment to Tenchi Muyo. I am more hyped for FMP and Jojo. OTOH, a Lodoss and a Fist of the North Star (with no filler) revival would be too dangerous for my heart. After the new Arslan, everything can be possible.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-25, 07:01   Link #53
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredus View Post
They didn't created any watchable TV series since Clannad AS, because they focused on Full Moe Anime. Also I think director of 2nd and Fummofu (don't remember his name) said he don't want work on mecha anime anymore.
Except you can't call Hyouka and Euphonium as "full moe anime", and even Amagi Brilliant Park is closer to a real comedy anime than merely moe with few lulz. If you don't like these series, well it is your loss I guess, but claiming they weren't watchable is a very bold and dubious claim.

In the end, even if it isn't kyoani at works, the procuder stays the same, so it is fair to expect sound decisions regarding the selected staff if the said guy didn't lose his touch.
Regarding fumoffu and TSR director, his decision is known but one can change their mind about that.

In my case, I just hope the direction will remain consistent with what was done for TSR with more work on the pacing.
If anything, original FMP direction would be absolutely bland.
Old 2015-10-25, 07:02   Link #54
MisterBaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
As an FMP-fan, I actually like Gonzo's FMP a bit better than the Kyoani one.
*pulls a Liquid Snake*
Brooother!
I always found it very hard to admit that I have more love for the Gonzo anime despite its shortcomings.
MisterBaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-25, 07:06   Link #55
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

My biggest issue with Gonzo's version isn't even the lack of comedy that was redirected to Fumoffu.
Instead, the characters felt absolutely stiff and bland, even Sousuke and Kaname. The only character who had seemly some characterization was Tessa.

Sousuke characterization was absolutely flat, and even prior watching TSR, it was difficult to relate with him, even after that original arc (Sousuke stuck in Afghanistan with other mithril personnel being wrecked by Gauron & co) which was probably the most useless addition to the series, right after that ludicrous AS sport tournament episode.

That is to say, TSR isn't except of flaws as the pacing was too tight, but it definitely gave way more substance to the characters as a whole. They feel way more complete, although I wish Mao and Kurz could have a better spotlight.
Old 2015-10-25, 07:08   Link #56
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBaka View Post
*pulls a Liquid Snake*
Brooother!
I always found it very hard to admit that I have more love for the Gonzo anime despite its shortcomings.
You're not alone, bro. I know other local "brothers" who share the same view as ours .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
My biggest issue with Gonzo's version isn't even the lack of comedy that was redirected to Fumoffu.
Instead, the characters felt absolutely stiff and bland, even Sousuke and Kaname. The only character who had seemly some characterization was Tessa.

Sousuke characterization was absolutely flat, and even prior watching TSR, it was difficult to relate with him, even after that original arc (Sousuke stuck in Afghanistan with other mithril personnel being wrecked by Gauron & co) which was probably the most useless addition to the series, right after that ludicrous AS sport tournament episode.
Wasn’t Sousuke (and Kaname, to some extend) still early in his character development during Gonzo’s reign? That’s probably one (among some) reason why he feel blander than himself during Kyoani’s reign where the story reached the point where he developes more.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2015-10-25 at 07:30.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-25, 07:15   Link #57
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Actually no, Sousuke was supposed to have developments already with the plane hijack, and particularly when the Tuatha de Danaan was assaulted by Amalgam. The whole struggle with AL and the Lambda Driver should have been present back during the Behemoth arc, which is why Sousuke in TSR was really displeased by the Arbalest and the lambda driver designs because his frustration was built up quite earlier.

It has been ages I'vent read the LN prior Owaru day by day, but he was definitely more than a "goofy man on a mission".
Old 2015-10-25, 07:29   Link #58
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Actually no, Sousuke was supposed to have developments already with the plane hijack, and particularly when the Tuatha de Danaan was assaulted by Amalgam. The whole struggle with AL and the Lambda Driver should have been present back during the Behemoth arc, which is why Sousuke in TSR was really displeased by the Arbalest and the lambda driver designs because his frustration was built up quite earlier.

It has been ages I'vent read the LN prior Owaru day by day, but he was definitely more than a "goofy man on a mission".
Well, speaking from an anime-only perspective (beside that, I only read all the mangas), I already saw and understand how he felt and developed during the plane Hijack arc. Not much during the Behemoth arc, but I certainly feel that development again during Gauron’s infiltration arc. I even got a kick outta Sousuke’s loss during the Afghanistan arc. If you don’t feel it then....I don’t know.
Old 2015-10-25, 08:01   Link #59
MisterBaka

It's simple: TSR covered the novel "The End of Day By Day" where Sosuke got a lot more development than in the previous books that were more like James Bond stories. That's why both in the source material and in the anime he looks a lot more fleshed out later.
MisterBaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-25, 08:05   Link #60
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

And I never implied otherwise.

What I stated is that the developments he should have got from earlier arcs are almost inexistent, especially for the Behemoth arc.
Back during the days I've watched the original FMP series prior reading the LN, that impression was present already, as it was more plot oriented than character centred in general. Sousuke felt almost like a one trick poney, which didn't sit well with me after the behemoth arc, as he was pretty much the same guy without much response to what changed around him (except when he went postal against Gauron's "Kashim!" shenanigans in the Tuatha Danaan arc).
Upon reading the LN after TSR, the absence of the characterization for most characters is quite apparent, which could have been done if it wasn't for that random afghanistan arc.

In fact, as silly as it might be at the first glance, Fumoffu beach episode has put a huge emphasis in the relationship between Sousuke and Kaname by a long shot.

That's why his outburst during TSR felt sudden for some people because his pent up frustration from earlier arcs was barely present, especially his resentment towards the Lambda Driver system.