AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2007-07-18, 21:55   Link #21
retardation
phantom loser

basically i'm glad i don't understand most lyrics. generally lyrics do more harm than good in most cases. not that there aren't songs with good lyrics or that these j songs don't have good lyrics (i wouldn't know) but playing the averages based on american/english songs, it's safer to not know the lyrics.
retardation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-21, 07:30   Link #22
clynia

some music from secret garden or bandari are beautiful
but I sometimes find them boring
As fo anime songs ,sometimes they don't sound good but I'd like to listen to them

I think it's because you like the anime and you listen to the opening or the ending for many times (I think most of the songs sound good if you listen to them for enough times)when you listen to the opening alone ,you will think about the scenes in the anime ,that's what makes you feel high
And when you hear the same singer you will think about the anime again,then you find the advantages unconsciously and you focus on the song .Maybe that's why we like Japanese songs
clynia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-21, 10:13   Link #23
CandyVanMan
Part Time Hikikomori

For me, it's all conditional. Some songs need the lyric to hold them together but the words themselves don't have to be understandable. Sometimes the words can be merely a 'glue' to the rhythmic and melodic qualities of the song. Yet, carefully chosen words in the lyrics can make or break a song by defying the feel of the tune, with or without being understandable or in context.

The White Stripes come to mind as an example where good song writing and lyrics can make enjoyable hit tunes with a very simple 2 piece arrangement. Using their song "My Doorbell" for an example, consider replacing the words "Thinking about my doorbell" with "Listening to my doorbell". While the words have the same overall syllable count and potentially the same meaning; The impact or "beat" would be lost to the sonically dragging "s" and long "o" in "to".

On the other hand; Music history is filled with "illiterate" singing such as Scat in Jazz and Beat Boxing in Hip-Hop. Don't forget "Louie Louie". Does anybody know the words to that song?

Also, listening to foreign music and watching foreign TV/films are a few of my ways to appreciate how little I actually know and explore how small my 'real' world is compared to the world as a whole. It also helps as a learning tool for a language because, in singing, the pronunciation is often guided by the song giving a feel on how the words can best be used, intoned, and said.
CandyVanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 14:20   Link #24
DarkHonour

Actually most of the time the music is more important than what is sung.

To me the music must be catchy that I'd like it.
DarkHonour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 19:41   Link #25
Shadow Raven 91
She's a Genius I swear it

To me it depends on the music genre. For example, i listen to both j-pop and hip-hop. i dont understand japanese except the common phrases i hear in anime, but I love artist like Utada and Ayumi for their vocal talent even though it sounds like there singing gibberish to me, no offense. At the same time i have a hard time getting into japanese hip-hop. I cant appreciate rapper's skill because i have no idea if they're spittin mindless chatter or poetic lyrics. It will all sound the same to me.
When it comes to rap I think its a must. Otherwise good vocal talent and a catchy melody can make up for not understanding the lyrics.
Old 2008-05-29, 21:43   Link #26
Samurai Panda
Vaizard

Send a message via MSN to Samurai Panda
Not at all. Lets face it, half of our own songs sung in English are a pain in the ass to understand what's being said, but as long as it SOUNDS good it doesn't really matter what's said (if the Lyrcis mattered, I'd have stopped listening to Dir En Grey Months ago...). As said in the Dir En Grey album VULGAR, "The language barrier means nothing with great music."
Samurai Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-30, 06:21   Link #27
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

I'm properly the minority here, but I usually value lyric on the same level as the actual music itself, if not a bit more. Sure there are songs I absolutely don't care for the lyric (read: 99.9% of the so-called current Chinese pop songs), but most stuffs I listen both for the music and the story behind the melody. This is coming from someone who's a fan of Sound Horizon though, where the song is an actual story and half the meaning of the song is lost if the lyric can't be understood by the listener. (RADWIMPS's Order Made is a good example. It have a nice music, but one of the reasons why it was the top selling single on Oricon the week after its released was the lyric.)

It's very rare that I'll like a song without really paying attention to its lyric. (I can count all those out with two hands... ._. )

Last edited by Asamidori; 2008-05-30 at 06:39. Reason: typo yay
Asamidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-03, 19:35   Link #28
yjs

Understanding the language does not matter, although sometimes lyrics do enhance the experience. I mean, I mostly listen to metal (where vocalists can sound anything between a toad and the cookie monster) and J-pop/rock... but kinds of music where I can't understand the lyrics unless I go check the lyrics.
yjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-03, 19:46   Link #29
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
No, but yes. If it's catchy enough, then no. For some, I briefly looked up the lyrics and liked the song more after I understand it.

Examples of songs I just like for no reason:
-Skip! (Moetan ED)
-Tatta Hitotsu no Omoi (Gunslinger 2 OP)

Examples of songs I like because of their lyrics:
-Yakusoku (Love Hina IS)
-Life is Like a Boat (Bleach ED1)

Examples of songs that I know the lyrics but I would probably like them anyways because they're catchy:
-Ichigo Mashimaro (Ichigo Mashimaro OP)
-Keikenchi Jōshōchū☆ (Minami-ke OP)
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 02:51   Link #30
SolidState
Scary Shiny Glasses

Personally, I don't really listen to the lyrics. I listen to the music behind it since most of my favorite songs are fast (180+ bpm) so very few of them have lyrics.
SolidState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 05:34   Link #31
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
It's not a 'must' - music is universal and transcends words, however it depends on the genre.
Music is a aural medium of expression for humans, so seeing how diverse we are around the world of what... 6billion or so, its use, purpose, styles, words and rhythms would pertain or be influenced by the culture, social or political issues for each society.

Something like reggae which mainly spawned as a political protest to the Jamaican government would have more focus on its lyrics and meanings than let's say j-bubblegum pop of 'i rabu yuu, let's dance and make happy!'

But then, seeing as it's a creation of human expression, how various people interpret and receive different music genres (even if they don't relate to what it was originally created for) would differ too, so answer still remains the same.

I remember going clubbing earlier this year and seeing like half the club in one room belting out the steps to 'soldja boy' (i'd never seen the vid) and I was like 'the hell?!' xD
But the vibe and energy of the place was so awesome, i couldn't help but laugh and smile regardless.

At the same time, I could place a safe bet that if I went around Brooklyn in NY and started going down the streets with my beatbox playing UK garage and Grime, people there may not understand for crap the words coming from the tunes as I do; the same with brits not knowing the meaning of the words if we're singing some rap and RnB tunes from America (despite all of it being 'English'.)

But on both sides of the Atlantic, we'd start bopping or getting down either way on the beats and rhythm alone regardless.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 05:38   Link #32
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Hell no, most of the time the lyrics are a joke anyhow. Lyrics only adds to it, but isn't crucial.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 09:03   Link #33
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Ok, new question: (if any1 care to answer along with the question of the topic ;P)

Have you ever heard a song which 's so good that it capture your emotion even when you do not understand the lyrics. Then everytime you hear it again, your brain made up some sort of "lyrics" (it's not necessary to be in words, but sometime it draws the image in your brain). This lyrics combining of thought, feelings and emotions end up so good that you can't bother to looking for the real one?

Seriously, it happens with me all the time, even with English songs, and i am satisfy with my "beautiful mind" sometime
Old 2008-06-04, 10:50   Link #34
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Ok, new question: (if any1 care to answer along with the question of the topic ;P)

Have you ever heard a song which 's so good that it capture your emotion even when you do not understand the lyrics. Then everytime you hear it again, your brain made up some sort of "lyrics" (it's not necessary to be in words, but sometime it draws the image in your brain). This lyrics combining of thought, feelings and emotions end up so good that you can't bother to looking for the real one?

Seriously, it happens with me all the time, even with English songs, and i am satisfy with my "beautiful mind" sometime
Omg, that sounds like exactly the same thing I would have posted in here.. but you managed to put it into words

I agree with you on this.
Old 2008-06-04, 14:13   Link #35
crystalalien87
Louise Fanatic

thats exactly what i tell my friends lol....its even funnier because im black and i listen to everything...they dont understand that most rap songs beats come from other types of music and when its put into rap the beat is suddenly cool. but before its shitty... but i love the jap music more then anything at the moment along with techno....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritoch View Post
Go listen to Rap or Black 'club' music. Most of the time the lyrics doesn't make sense. But that doesnt stop people from listening to it. Blacks also have their 'version' of English is is quite difficult to listen to.
i love bumping my music when it techno and it hit harder then most rap songs...lol...i always get weird looks but i dont care...
crystalalien87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 19:35   Link #36
gold_orb
disrespectful heckler

i like songs based on the musical climax and melody. songs that have words i don't understand are great becuse i can just add my own.

this is why there are alot of songs i like that i don't understand the language.
gold_orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-05, 00:23   Link #37
Flame-X
Anti-fan

I always ditch the lyrics and listen the melody. Who cares what language its in as long as it sounds good.
Old 2008-06-07, 21:06   Link #38
phishn37
Time to fly ~ !

I don't think you have to know the lyrics to like a song. It might help, but you don't need it ~ !
phishn37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 22:46   Link #39
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Half the songs that are in English these days I either hate the lyrics or can barely understand them so...no the language doesn't really matter to me.

I think I'm almost getting to the point that I prefer music that has lyrics to be in a different language...It generally lets me just relax to the melody without my brain unconsciously trying to understand what there saying and make sense of it...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 07:18   Link #40
gass_06

As long as it sounds good its ok. But I really appreciate it if the song's lyrics only contains lines in their language. What I'm saying is I don't like it when Japanese songs suddenly insert English lines in their song. If it's a Japanese song, I want it to be pure Japanese. If it's English, then English.
gass_06 is offline   Reply With Quote