Notices

Old 2011-01-05, 23:31   Link #21
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

No I know most of these movie suck and not even worth watching
Old 2011-01-05, 23:46   Link #22
Amutox89
~ the odd one ~

never did take them seriously. For one, that's their opinion, and for two, I can decide for myself wether or not a movie sucks or is going to suck
Old 2011-01-06, 01:15   Link #23
GreatTeacherKen

My opinion of them is the same as video game critics: I respect their opinion unless they get many facts wrong which calls their credibility into question, but I don't let them decide what I watch.

As for Nostalgia Critic and Spoony, their reviews are primarily intended to be funny so their commentary and criticism is exaggerated. Douglas Walker (Nostalgia Critic) is very different from the character he plays. For example, he actually enjoys The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog whereas his character is bewildered by it and hates it. In general, he's more generous when he's reviewing as himself, though he does hate The Garbage Pail Kids Movie.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-06, 01:19   Link #24
Ballad
robots & skateboards

I take them seriously when they deserve to be taken seriously. I don't take people like Armond White seriously, but other than him most critics seem to make sense in their own way.
Ballad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 18:18   Link #25
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

I love Tron Legacy and disagreed with a lot of the critics. Normally I wait for a couple of my more outspoken film buff friends to see it first. I know their tastes so it gives me a good idea of the film. Problem is then I need to find other friends to go see it later on
Old 2011-01-09, 23:31   Link #26
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

My opinion is that ultimately, the best critic for something in the entire world, is one's self.
Old 2011-01-10, 09:28   Link #27
Sing4ever9

I honestly don't care what critics think. If I think it's good, it's good. I'm not going to have some two-bit fiddlehead tell me I have no taste if I go see a movie they didn't personally like. (I'm mainly talking about the people who write for EW-- some of their reviews make me angry)

However, I take a look at the reviews anyway just because I want some slight spoilers before I go to see the movie. I don't care if I waste money, I want to see the movie for myself so I can actually form my own opinion. Like with the "Last Airbender", I went to see it and I analyzed what could have been done and what could have been changed. Was it good? No. Am I glad I went to see it? Yeah because I relied on my own opinion rather than some critic who is paid to feed me their own opinion.

I remember going to see the Incredible Hulk a few years ago. Personally, I adored it. The critic for the Kansas City Star, however, thought it was less than adequit. Did I my opinion change just because some guy told what he thought? If I did, I would be a sheep. I still love that movie and it's earlier adaptation despite what critics thoughts.

Like I said, I'm not going to base my opinion on the opinions of some paid, two-bit fiddlehead (as you can tell, I really am not fond of critics). Sorry.

Last edited by Sing4ever9; 2011-01-10 at 09:46. Reason: Contradiction and adding something
Sing4ever9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 09:59   Link #28
Black0raz0r
Red vs Blue

Send a message via MSN to Black0raz0r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
My opinion is that ultimately, the best critic for something in the entire world, is one's self.
thats true
Old 2011-01-10, 10:32   Link #29
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
if it's a movie I really want to see, it probably doesn't matter what people say...I'm going to find some way to watch it. If it's a movie I'm not sure about, generally I won't look up critics, I'll just check the user rating on IMBD.
Critics, IMO are used to thinking way too deeply about every aspect of the movie. My only concern is if I'm going to enjoy it for the hour or two I have to sit through it. If it's enjoyable over all, I like it. That's all there is to it. No need to analyze it

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
mindovermatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 18:51   Link #30
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Simple Answer NO

Classic battle of Masses VS Classes

But at the end of Day you watch Movies to get Entertained

When you pay 15-20 Bucks you want a satisfied smile . Unfortunately Critics dont get this

If I wanted to feel Intelligent I would read a Book / watch a Documentary

And the Kind of Movies Critics favor are hardly Entertaining

Take the Oscar only few, make that very Few Movies were Entraining/Enjoyable

Last Decade : Hurt Locker , Crash
Old 2011-01-19, 07:37   Link #31
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Why Do You Care if Critics Hate the Movies You Like?

http://screenrant.com/movie-critic-r...n-pauly-71457/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post
Simple Answer NO

Classic battle of Masses VS Classes

But at the end of Day you watch Movies to get Entertained

When you pay 15-20 Bucks you want a satisfied smile . Unfortunately Critics dont get this

If I wanted to feel Intelligent I would read a Book / watch a Documentary

And the Kind of Movies Critics favor are hardly Entertaining

Take the Oscar only few, make that very Few Movies were Entraining/Enjoyable

Last Decade : Hurt Locker , Crash
You're absolutely right. I mean why should we take it way too personally until it ruins your movie experiences whatsoever?
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 21:11   Link #32
David Watts
Stay Free

Send a message via MSN to David Watts
not really I mean if a bunch of critics all shit on a movie then i probably wont see it
but I dont always go by what they say
Old 2011-01-19, 21:12   Link #33
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Hmmm.... not really. I always like to read the paper and see what they say about it though, but I'll always use my own opinions on movies.

Nostalgia Critic is a different story~
Old 2011-01-19, 22:03   Link #34
Jjo

I don't take any random, complete strangers opinion on anything seriously, lol. Movie critics are just people, and oddly tend to have the same thing to say over and over again about specific movies. Makes you wonder if these people are actually paid to say this crap, I wonder if producers take their movies that seriously to pay critics? XD lol
Jjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 22:50   Link #35
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
I read their opinions for entertainment, but I rarely ever take them seriously. Just because they have one opinion of it doesn't mean I'll have the same opinion.
Old 2011-06-25, 07:02   Link #36
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009

A MUST watch video especially who takes it way too seriously.
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 11:49   Link #37
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Not at all. There's not a single critic out there that can really give me a frame of reference, 'cause like most of modern pop-culture, the critic game has sunk to very low levels. More often than not, I see some average bloke with a blogspot URL being allowed to post their review when I never even heard of em'. And when you look up their credentials, they're usually nothing more than an internet personality, like Harry Knowles from AICN (one of the worst movie review sites on the net). It's as if both RT and Metacritic have become swamped with amateur-hour and MTV critics, it's ridiculous. This is why I never put stock into films that are considered very "fresh" or very "rotten", because it's hard to take anything they say at face value. I beat to the tune of my own drum and I have enough faith in my intelligence that I can tell the difference between a good or bad movie on my own.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 14:29   Link #38
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Yes. As long as they support their opinions well , I'll consider them; don't have to agree or disagree solely because they are a critic though.

It's a good idea to form your own opinion first though , otherwise it can be swayed too easily.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 15:17   Link #39
james0246

Do I take film critics seriously? Sure. Why not? Disregarding the fact that they are paid for their work (which generally indicates that they are doing a job, and if they do not do it well, they will be fired), many Critics (or at least "official" critics) generally know their field of expertise, so what they say should be treated as a form of expert testimonial (they can still be wrong (since their field of expertise is a medium that is highly subjective), but that doesn't mean you should dismiss them out of hand).

Additionally, while I will always trust my own opinion and critique over other critics, that doesn't mean their opinion isn't equally valid (and ultimately necessary for any potential discussion to occur) and potentially interesting/enlightening. (Honestly, all the nay saying seems a little silly; of course you should trust yourself above others, but to completely disregard other's opinions simply because they are not your own is downright childish and insecure (you should only ignore another’s opinion if their basis for analysis is invalid, otherwise their opinion, especially if it comes from an “expert” is just as valid and interesting (if not potentially more interesting) than your own); challenge what others say (unless you agree with them), do not blindly and arrogantly ignore.)

Last edited by james0246; 2011-06-25 at 16:48. Reason: since Tetra responded...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 15:38   Link #40
Tetra Vaal
Banned

James, why did you delete your post? I thought it was a nicely constructed post to counter-argue what I stated. I haven't always been against critics and even now, that seems a bit strong. My problem is, like I mentioned before, is that pop-culture as a collective whole has sunken to such low depths, that it's hard to take anything that most critics say seriously. I mean, what makes a critic a "top critic"? And it's hard for me to buy that because these individuals are getting paid and it's their profession, so they have some validity to what they say or else they'd be fired, then how do people explain Armond White? And how do you validate a profession where everything is looked at subjectively? I don't know... I respect your thoughts, but I still stick to my sentiments that I trust no other person's opinion more than my own.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote