AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-02-14, 11:18   Link #261
Sagitta Luminis
Yousoro~

Finally watched the episode. As before, the anime keeps becoming even better with each episode. Finally learned more about Sumika (am I the only one who likes her?) and Kureha finally seem to warm up to Lulu and Ginko.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2015-02-14 at 11:22. Reason: Please don't mention a sub group name for a licensed series.
Sagitta Luminis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-14, 12:23   Link #262
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitta Luminis View Post
Finally learned more about Sumika (am I the only one who likes her?)
I actually think she's the only truly likable character in the series.
Old 2015-02-14, 12:40   Link #263
Sagitta Luminis
Yousoro~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I actually think she's the only truly likable character in the series.
... I actually like the main three.
Old 2015-02-14, 12:43   Link #264
Kazu-kun

I think they're interesting, but I don't really like them.
Old 2015-02-14, 13:26   Link #265
The Green One

Still I can understand Kureha being emotionally messed up right now. Her mother was killed when she was a young girl and she's been by herself ever since. Her lover got killed and eaten, the kind Student Council President turned out to be a bear and tried to kill her. Kureha had gone on about how she wanted revenge on bears for all the things they took from her but when it came time to pull the trigger she didn't have the mindset to kill and actually succeeding at killing her attacker in self defense, no less the one that killed Sumika, clearly traumatized her. Her classmates are still preying on her, it was even revealed that she was shunned before Sumika rather than vice versa, and two total strangers are forcing their way into her life. She's hasn't even had enough time to properly mourn Sumika. It's like the story is trying to see how many more ways they can make Kureha's life suck. I'd say she's still sympathetic.

Lulu had some messed up family circumstances and realized too late what her brother meant to her when he accidentally died though it was indirectly her fault. She's trying to alleviate her guilt by fulfilling Ginko's love even if it's only to make herself feel better. I get the impression she's genuinally fond of Kureha in a more platonic fashion and she's still pretty sympathetic.

Ginko is still unknown with potentially one or more serious crimes so the jury is still out on her. (Yes I went there ) We'll likely see more on Monday and hopefully get a better picture.

Two out of our three heroines are pretty sympathetic and while all three of them have their flaws, I feel it makes them deeper as characters and more relatable.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-14, 15:51   Link #266
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Despite the yuri theme, i don't like Yuri Kuma anywhere near as much as Penguin Drum honestly. I think to keep the character motive secret, they have focus too much on the plot and too little on the character. And too many time a character thought to be bad, turned out to be good, then turned out to be bad again (or dark grey and white grey if you want to put it).

I means i can't feel the character the same way as i do toward the Takakura siblings or Ringo. Where you sort of having a good idea about where they stand consistently from start to finish. Chracter development is there also to add in character indepth rather than just to drive the plot
Old 2015-02-14, 16:13   Link #267
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Despite the yuri theme, i don't like Yuri Kuma anywhere near as much as Penguin Drum honestly. I think to keep the character motive secret, they have focus too much on the plot and too little on the character. And too many time a character thought to be bad, turned out to be good, then turned out to be bad again (or dark grey and white grey if you want to put it).

I means i can't feel the character the same way as i do toward the Takakura siblings or Ringo. Where you sort of having a good idea about where they stand consistently from start to finish. Chracter development is there also to add in character indepth rather than just to drive the plot
And this is the aspect of the show that I like, that the characters always keep you guessing. Knowing where a character stands is all well and good, but it can also make a character predictable, which could in some respects can make them boring if you know exactly what they're going to do in any given situation.
Old 2015-02-14, 16:19   Link #268
Kazu-kun

^ Knowing what makes the characters tick doesn't necessarily make them predictable. But it does make them easier to relate to, which is always a plus.
Old 2015-02-14, 16:40   Link #269
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
^ Knowing what makes the characters tick doesn't necessarily make them predictable. But it does make them easier to relate to, which is always a plus.
Yeah this.

Without really understand a character or at least know where their stereotype fall into, it's also very hard to react to their actions. Like when Ginko jumped in to save the letter this episode. I means my brain saying that it's a noble action. But i don't know whether Ginko was born to be such selfless girl, or did she do that (caculately) to gain points on Kureha , or is it supposedly a OOC moment to shock the audience (which later then reveal that she did it out of guilt for letting Sumika to die for example).

This remind me how much i love Penguin Drum, if only there is more yuri/ the yuri ending was confirmed more
Old 2015-02-14, 16:44   Link #270
IceHism

I like that it is focusing on plot and on what is important and skipping everything that isn't needed. Its a different narrative structure and I am intrigued by it. Its most likely needed too since its only 11 episodes.

For me, relation isn't a necessity.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-14, 16:49   Link #271
Kazu-kun

^ It's not true that you can't do characterization and plot at the same time. Good writers can do it.
Old 2015-02-14, 16:51   Link #272
IceHism

Quote:
^ It's not true that you can't do characterization and plot at the same time. Good writers can do it.
This isn't a matter about not being able to do both, but about actually having time to do it to a satisfactory degree.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-14, 17:04   Link #273
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

My main problem is that starting from the beginning, I still don't have a clue of what Kureha is trying or she is supposed to accomplish. Whereas Utena's objective and Kanba+Shoma's objectives were very well defined in the first episode.

We have seen Kureha going through several symbolic trials to prove that "her love is true" and she have been constantly repeating that she "won't give up on her love". However ostensibly the one she loves, Sumika, is dead.
Is this story trying to tell us that replacing Sumika with Ginko is the way that she's supposed to achieve the above?
While I had no problems relating to Utena's, Kanba's and Shouma's will to protect the one they loved, I have difficulties relating to whatever Kureha is trying to do.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-14, 17:06   Link #274
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
This isn't a matter about not being able to do both, but about actually having time to do it to a satisfactory degree.
When I said both at the same time, I really meant at the same time, so it doesn't take as much as time as when things are done separately.

It basically comes down to making it so that the actions that move the plot also give you critical insight on the characters.
Old 2015-02-14, 17:11   Link #275
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
My main problem is that starting from the beginning, I still don't have a clue of what Kureha is trying or she is supposed to accomplish. Whereas Utena's objective and Kanba+Shoma's objectives were very well defined in the first episode.

We have seen Kureha going through several symbolic trials to prove that "her love is true" and she have been constantly repeating that she "won't give up on her love". However ostensibly the one she loves, Sumika, is dead.
Is this story trying to tell us that replacing Sumika with Ginko is the way that she's supposed to achieve the above?
While I had no problems relating to Utena's, Kanba's and Shouma's will to protect the one they loved, I have difficulties relating to whatever Kureha is trying to do.
This as well.

I means the level of meta is just so in your face (rather than let it sinking in in Utena or Penguin Drum). I guess it will be the equivalent of Kanba+Shouma started episode 1 with their quest to look for Penguin Drum to save their sister, despite we have no idea what's the Penguin Drum is, who are they, what happened to their sister, and why they have to do it rather than anyone else.
Old 2015-02-14, 22:56   Link #276
MarkS00N

Quote:
When I said both at the same time, I really meant at the same time, so it doesn't take as much as time as when things are done separately.

It basically comes down to making it so that the actions that move the plot also give you critical insight on the characters.
And which part of this show that doesn't gives insight on character while moving the plot?

All episodes so far has been used to developed the four main character (Kureha, Ginko, Lulu, and Sumika) and I don't understand how each of them is unlikable beside due to 'there will always someone hate something' rule...
MarkS00N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-14, 23:06   Link #277
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS00N View Post
And which part of this show that doesn't gives insight on character while moving the plot?
Episode 4 had to stop the plot completely in order to develop Lulu with a flashback. The same development could have been integrated to the plot.

Quote:
I don't understand how each of them is unlikable beside due to 'there will always someone hate something' rule.
Not everyone likes what you like.
Old 2015-02-15, 00:07   Link #278
MarkS00N

Quote:
Episode 4 had to stop the plot completely in order to develop Lulu with a flashback. The same development could have been integrated to the plot.
It also gives us glimpse on the bear world which is important to the plot, mostly to show that bear isn't as monstrous as people claim...

Quote:
Not everyone likes what you like.
So stop stating things like 'character is horrible' like it is a fact then...
Quote:
Every character is horrible in the series.
MarkS00N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-15, 07:44   Link #279
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS00N View Post
It also gives us glimpse on the bear world which is important to the plot, mostly to show that bear isn't as monstrous as people claim...
All of that could have been integrated into the actual plot. Instead, they stopped the plot to deliver everything through flashback. I'm not saying that approach is necessarily wrong, but if you only have 12 episodes to work with, there are better and more efficient ways to make this work.

Quote:
So stop stating things like 'character is horrible' like it is a fact then...
Even without an "I think" beforehand, I think it was pretty obvious that was an opinion.
Old 2015-02-15, 12:43   Link #280
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Even taking into account what I said, personally I don't think it's that hard to understand where our three mains stand when it comes to their general motivations. We don't exactly know everything they're going to do or where exactly the show is going for the time being, but I do think they've given us plenty of information on what's motivating the three main girls.

Lulu lost out on her own love and is now helping Ginko try and achieve what she lost. Ginko is in love with Kureha and will do just about anything to protect her and achieve her own love. Kureha is having to deal with a lost love and the guilt of moving on now that Sumika is gone. Her and Sumika made a promise about not giving up their love for each other. Kureha most likely feels that by finding a new "friend" she's betraying Sumika and their promise. Then she gets the letter that Sumika wrote before her death, although it's intended purpose may have been different, I don't believe that Sumika would begrudge Kureha finding a new friend now that she's gone, and this is something that Kureha herself may just now be realizing. It's ok to move on, that doesn't mean you loved the person any less.

Tags
surrealism, yuri