Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-11-08, 00:14   Link #61
onehp
Banned

Pardon for my noobishness

I don't understand softsubs.

I need MKV right? It's in the CCP and I got that but nothing happens. I got AceMegaCodecs pack PRO too. Does those 2 contradict each other? I use MPC. How do I fix softsub so I can see the subtitles?

Thanks in advance.
Old 2006-11-08, 03:12   Link #62
onehp
Banned

Fixed my problem of substitles showing but they are in norwegian. How do I fix it to make it to english sub? The description of the torrent says "english/norwegian" subtitles. The norwegian sub is the only language that came up.

Thanks in advance
Old 2006-11-08, 03:47   Link #63
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

There should be an icon in the system tray for your media splitter. (Probably either a green arrow or a white box with markings.) Right click on that icon and choose your subtitles.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-11-10, 05:08   Link #64
Laughing Man

Would anybody have any clue what might be the problem? I've gotten Media Splitter, CCCP, and all that other jazz, even the 10 buck AVC Core thing, and my MKV files are still being laggy as can be, they're h264 super large resolution to boot (which I hear is usually half the problem for non-tricked out computers). I uninstalled Direct and Splitter and a handful of other things, including CCCP, then I just went from scratch and installed CCCP. Unfortunately, after all of this, now, instead of just lag and freezing video, I have all that and desyncing audio.

I tried rebooting my computer, and I ended up with Zoomplayer and MPC both lagging up on me still, however Divx pulled through for me surprisingly enough, and all that was lagging for me was the opening, probably due to the fancy scroll effects and such they had on the intro, however... I'm just curious as to what might solve my problem? Is there a way to tell my video player of choice, like... tell it to go "Hey, I'm gonna play MKV with this special AVC Core codec" or does it all automatically take care of this stuff? I'm pretty much a complete noob when it comes to the super technical aspects of codecs for video & audio.

Edit: AHA! I fiddled around and I guess the issue was I didn't turn off the CCCP 264 settings, and I assume they were conflicting with my super 10 dollar version or something. Now even my intro works! I have no clue how Divx snuck by the errors my other players were having though. Even though MKV seems cool, it seems completely pointless and problematic in other ways.

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2006-11-10 at 05:30. Reason: Updated Info
Old 2006-11-10, 10:35   Link #65
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Even though MKV seems cool, it seems completely pointless and problematic in other ways.
Proper B-Frames, advanced AVC features, VFR, chapters... read the flame threads on this forum if you're interested.
Old 2006-11-10, 16:16   Link #66
Nicholi
King of Hosers

What file are you attempting to play and what are the specs on your computer? If you are watching 720p H.264 videos (or dear gods even 1080p) and your computer is too slow it won't matter at all. You just will not be able to watch the high resolution videos. Also whether the file is in MKV/MP4 will have no bearings on whether your computer will be able to play the file, it is just too slow. Be smart and just download the low res versions.
Old 2006-11-11, 00:08   Link #67
Laughing Man

I think it was a 1080p, yeah... crazy stuff, but that's all I could find torrents available in unfortunately. Anyhow, it's all fixed and good for now thanks to 10 bucks spent.

PS. Why would you delete anime you've watched and downloaded? That's what DVD-R's were invented for.
Old 2006-11-11, 03:29   Link #68
ImClueless
Rawr

Which anime series is being broadcasted in 1080p 0_0;? Or is this not anime you guys are talking about?
Old 2006-11-11, 06:06   Link #69
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImClueless View Post
Which anime series is being broadcasted in 1080p 0_0;? Or is this not anime you guys are talking about?
None. A few like Chevalier are allegedly broadcast in 1080i and then deinterlaced to 1080p.
Old 2006-12-11, 19:45   Link #70
sperry

Send a message via AIM to sperry
Hey, I really have no idea what I'm doing here, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've downloaded the cccp, I've tried vlc, zoom, bs player, wmp, divx, and tcmp, but still I can't get .mkvs, specifically the gg Code Geass subs, to work right.

On most of the players I'm just having skipping/lagging issues. On BS it plays fairly well, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to put the subtitles on.

Let me know if I need to give more info...
Old 2006-12-11, 22:08   Link #71
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Hey, I really have no idea what I'm doing here, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've downloaded the cccp, I've tried vlc, zoom, bs player, wmp, divx, and tcmp, but still I can't get .mkvs, specifically the gg Code Geass subs, to work right.

On most of the players I'm just having skipping/lagging issues. On BS it plays fairly well, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to put the subtitles on.

Let me know if I need to give more info...
Do you have the VSFilter icon in your system tray (it's a green arrow)? If so, try clicking on it. However, I cannot give any CCCP-specific help because I don't use it. I install all the components individually.

Also, what kind of system are you running, hard- and software-wise?

--Ian.
Old 2006-12-12, 18:37   Link #72
sperry

No, I don't have the VSFilter. That something I can download?

I'm using Windows XP, don't really know any specifics, sorry...
Old 2006-12-12, 20:55   Link #73
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
No, I don't have the VSFilter. That something I can download?
If you're using the CCCP, it should already be installed.

Quote:
I'm using Windows XP, don't really know any specifics, sorry...
OK, that's a start. Was also curious which processor and how fast it is, how much RAM, etc. is in your machine.

--Ian.
Old 2006-12-12, 21:11   Link #74
Harukalover
In exile

sperry: Download the insurgent here: http://www.cccp-project.net/download.php?type=cccpi

Once you have it, open it and go to Tools --> Test Render. Pick an mkv file that is giving you trouble. (Any mkv if it's all of them)

Then click OK after it's done.

Then go to File --> Save log.

Save the log and open it, then paste the entire contents of it on the forum in spoiler tags.
Old 2006-12-12, 21:28   Link #75
sperry

Alright, here's the test render log... thing. Really wish I had any idea what it meant.

Spoiler:

Edit: Wait, now I do have the green arrow thing which I assume is the VSFilter. It says it's "DirectVobSub"... it just appeared out of nowehere. Wierd. Anyway, I'm not quite sure what to do with it...

Last edited by sperry; 2006-12-12 at 21:41.
Old 2006-12-12, 22:05   Link #76
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Alright, here's the test render log... thing. Really wish I had any idea what it meant.

Spoiler:
Whoa, yeah, big dump.

However, I see one, maybe two, issues that jump right out at me.

Trust me, a Pentium III is too slow to seriously play H.264 with any release of ffdshow. I run a Pentium III 933 with an NVidia GeForce MX4000 for screening XviD and DVD material and I periodically try running it with H.264 material and various builds of ffdshow along with CoreAVC just for grins and giggles. In fact, I wouldn't even consider running much more than Windows 2000 on such a machine.

Also, your video card is very old, though it's a classic. I don't know how well the R128Pros will stand up to what these newer decoders want in terms of rendering (especially for subtitles). Jury's out on the card, but since I have an R128Pro-based card myself, I can at least test this theory. It does work with a Matrox Millennium G450 I have, also an oldie but goodie, so I don't see why softsubs shouldn't work.

Quote:
Edit: Wait, now I do have the green arrow thing which I assume is the VSFilter. It says it's "DirectVobSub"... it just appeared out of nowehere. Wierd. Anyway, I'm not quite sure what to do with it...
Yeah, that's VSFilter all right. Click on it to see what's available subtitle-wise. If it can't render the subtitles, try updating the drivers for your video card. Try getting actual ATI drivers (though I make no guarantee that they'll be available for XP). Otherwise, your best bet would be to upgrade your video card to something a bit more modern, like a Radeon or an NVidia GeForce MX4000. Of course, I only assume that not much more than video playback is what this machine is being used for.

--Ian.
Old 2006-12-12, 22:32   Link #77
sperry

Ok, so, I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for in VS Filter... I tried the "open" button, but the .mkv files didn't show up... are they even what I should be looking for to open?

do I need to play the file first and then do something with VSfilter?

--

Yeah... figured that it might just be too old and fucked up... piece of crap...

but, so if for whatever reason this VSfilter thing doesnt work, are you saying that really my only option is to upgrade the video card? eh, not worth it then, I'm only gonna have this computer for a couple more months anyway, so I don't really see the point then... I'll just have to wait it out.
Old 2006-12-12, 22:54   Link #78
Harukalover
In exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRJustman View Post
Also, your video card is very old, though it's a classic. I don't know how well the R128Pros will stand up to what these newer decoders want in terms of rendering (especially for subtitles). Jury's out on the card, but since I have an R128Pro-based card myself, I can at least test this theory. It does work with a Matrox Millennium G450 I have, also an oldie but goodie, so I don't see why softsubs shouldn't work.
Last I checked, these are just images. The age of the video card shouldn't mean much at all... it's all dependant on the CPU's ability to decode.

Anyway, Sperry go into your Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs

Look for something called Ogg Directshow Filters. Remove that.

If you can't find it in the Add/Remove Programs, go into CCCP Insurgent and unregister Ogg Splitter. That should remove all the OggDS filters.

After that try playing the video in MPC or Zoomplayer that came with your CCCP installation.

For subtitles look for the Haali Media Splitter icon at the bottom. (white box)

Right click that and look for any subtitle streams in there. They will start with an S: before them. Set the subtitle stream you want and it should render.

Lastly as IJ mentioned your CPU is rather old. There's a very high chance that you won't be able to play it without any lag. CoreAVC might be able to render it without trouble but that costs 10 bucks... >_>
Old 2006-12-12, 23:44   Link #79
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

I don't think it's as simple as its being "just images" as you make it out to be. Go read the Wikipedia article on DirectShow for some details, notably the Video Renderer vs. VMR7 vs. VMR9 section.

--Ian.

EDIT: I just tried it on my old Rage Fury Pro (VIVO card using the Rage 128 Pro with 32MB of RAM) on my newest screening rig, a Pentium 4, which is what I've been using for H.264. It works. Though I will stand by what I said that putting subtitles on-screen is not entirely a simple task, at least in terms of the API. There's no real standardized way cross-platform. If the article above is to be believed, VMR7, which appears to be the "orthodox" way of doing it, is only available on XP (I use Windows 2000). VMR9 does work on just about any DirectX9-capable version of Windows, but it uses Direct3D in order to achieve this, which, to me, is a sub-optimal way of doing things.

Last edited by IRJustman; 2006-12-13 at 00:17. Reason: Clarification on subtitle subpicture drawing using the various video playback surface APIs
Old 2006-12-13, 00:22   Link #80
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harukalover View Post
Lastly as IJ mentioned your CPU is rather old. There's a very high chance that you won't be able to play it without any lag. CoreAVC might be able to render it without trouble but that costs 10 bucks... >_>
Though now, even though it costs less money ($7.95 v. $9.95), it costs a bit more in privacy. It now requires activation. You need to be connected to the Internet to complete the installation since it contacts a registration server (which it does NOT tell you about, by the way!). I first see it when Kerio starts going nuts about the installer wanting to connect somewhere on the Internet, in this case, an authorization server.

Needless to say, CoreCodec has lost me as a paying customer.

--Ian.

Tags
matroska, mkv, wiki candidate