AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-06-15, 13:34   Link #1161
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun
It's just fan-made! If it was from a magazine or such we would know for sure since there are a lot of people on this forum who can read japanese and are searching all the time for Haruhi-related articles in magazine and others publications.
I believe it's actually written by the magazine people as an in-joke to all the popular relationship pairings.

BTW, those are my translations in that pic, though I don't know who it was that photoshopped them for this English "scanlation".
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-15, 13:45   Link #1162
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
BTW, those are my translations in that pic, though I don't know who it was that photoshopped them for this English "scanlation".
http://www.sos-dan.com/img/res/909.html

Scroll to near the bottom. :x
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-15, 13:56   Link #1163
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker
http://www.sos-dan.com/img/res/909.html

Scroll to near the bottom. :x
Damn, plagiarism can? Even when I take material from AS forums I fully quote them and point out the original posters. Haruhiism will not tolerate plagiarism, Haruhi-sama will punish those who perform such dishonorable acts.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/

Last edited by C.A.; 2006-06-16 at 05:33.
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-15, 14:00   Link #1164
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Damn, extreme plagiarism can? Even when I take material from AS forums I fully quote them and point out the original posters. Haruhiism will not tolerate plagiarism, Haruhi-sama will punish those who perform such dishonorable acts.
Erm, before we jump into conclusion, he didn't actually said he's the one who translated.
Although he didn't put his source either.
Old 2006-06-16, 05:32   Link #1165
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Erm, before we jump into conclusion, he didn't actually said he's the one who translated.
Although he didn't put his source either.
Alright lol, I'll edit the 'extreme', but I still think its plagiarism, especially when it was placed into the pic and credits giving to that person.

Something else:

Right now you guys should have noticed that every single scene throughout the entire show must have one person thats present, yep, thats Kyon. Kyon is present in every single scene and every single to us is Kyon's perspective. This is especially true for the novels, the entire story is written in a 1st person perspective of Kyon. The anime followed this as well, until Episode 14, Someday in the Rain.

Someday in the Rain is special, its written specially by the author, Tanigawa Nagaru to be used only in the anime, not in the novels. And in this episode, for the first time we had scenes where Kyon is not present. Kyon went to get the heater but we get to see everything thats happening back at the club room, we get to see Haruhi carry out the photo taking session throughout the entire school.

Anyway this method of story telling, by 1st person perspective throughout the entire story was one of the reasons why novel 1 won its award. We won't ever get to know what the other characters are thinking except when they tell Kyon. But we still get to understand all other characters through Kyon's perspective and observations. Also when he observes something he may not understand what he saw at first, but we readers/audiences get what's happening.

This is what makes the show so interesting and Kyon such a special character, he's someone we know and understand inside out. And yet I've heard from people who thinks Kyon is a normal, bland main character.

Old 2006-06-16, 05:47   Link #1166
Truth-kun
Do the Penguin Dance!

Send a message via Yahoo to Truth-kun
His side comments in the novels are so funny. Some are included in the anime I think ("If you have heard it then feel free to..." comments).
Truth-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-16, 06:45   Link #1167
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Here's a reply to my post on another forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco888 from HF forums
Totally agree with the poster before me.

But the first perspective thing is kinda confusing at times though, Or maybe its only because the translators of the novels forget to put up brackets at times lol, So you dont know if Kyon is saying a line or only thinking it and you have to figure it out by the next persons reply.
Then again..it slightly confuses you,..so that also might add to the atmosphere.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.(me) on HF Forums
lol! They didn't forget anything at all!

Thats exactly how its written in the novels lol, but because its in english, the japanese accents, methods of speech etc are lost.

Yes Kyon sometimes actually 'spoke' without brackets and yet people respond to him. You can never ever be sure whether Kyon is actually speaking or thinking or even blurting out something. That's the beauty of the author's method of story telling.

For next person's reply, you can tell by Kyon = ore/omae(me/you), Haruhi = atashi/anta, Yuki = watashi/anata, Mikuru = watashi/anata and Itsuki = boku/kimi. Yuki and Mikuru may have the same addressing, but you can tell from Yuki's monologue and Mikuru's politeness. This is what I love about japanese and why I hate it when the writing/speech is translated, all the essence of the conversations are lost.

Old 2006-06-16, 07:25   Link #1168
Truth-kun
Do the Penguin Dance!

That explains it. For a while there (I just finished reading Volume 1, Translated) I thought the translator missed a " or people around him can read minds. LOL!

It surely helps when you can read japanese though, but alas, all I know is english XD
Old 2006-06-16, 09:15   Link #1169
RiXeD
excuse me wtf r u desu?

Demo!

In ep11, he thinks about his need of courage and Haruhi actually replies to him :\
Old 2006-06-19, 09:25   Link #1170
Anime Online

I'm just thinking, how does Kyon fit in SoS-dan?

Now, we know Haruhi has an interest in aliens, time travelers, espers, etc. And we know she got just what she wanted : Yuki (alien), Mikuru (time traveler) and Itsuki (ESPer). Haruhi is not aware of their true identity, of course, and believes that her club needs the following:

(a) Moe/cute, lolita-looking character (Episode 02 at 19:44) which happens to be Mikuru
(b) Mysterious transfer student (Episode 05 at 06:28) which happens to be Itsuki
(c) Silent character (Episode 11 at 21:03) which happens to be Yuki

So how does Kyon fit in, exactly? The anime hasn't given any hints so far as to why Haruhi wanted Kyon in her club. It's quite a puzzle, since Haruhi professes she finds ordinary people uninteresting. Besides, though Kyon secretly believes in extraordinary creatures/events (Episode 02 at 00:56), he keeps trying to persuade Haruhi to be a normal high school student.

Thoughts?
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-19, 09:32   Link #1171
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online

Now, we know Haruhi has an interest in aliens, time travelers, espers, etc. And we know she got just what she wanted : Yuki (alien), Mikuru (time traveler) and Itsuki (ESPer). Haruhi is not aware of their true identity, of course, and believes that her club needs the following:

(a) Moe/cute, lolita-looking character (Episode 02 at 19:44) which happens to be Mikuru
(b) Mysterious transfer student (Episode 05 at 06:28) which happens to be Itsuki

So how does Kyon fit in, exactly? The anime hasn't given any hints so far as to why Haruhi wanted Kyon in her club. It's quite a puzzle, since Haruhi professes she finds ordinary people uninteresting. Besides, though Kyon secretly believes in extraordinary creatures/events (Episode 02 at 00:56), he keeps trying to persuade Haruhi to be a normal high school student.

Thoughts?
Officialy?

Just look at the credits for the Mikuru-rin movie.

Kyon is credited as "The one who does random tasks".

In effect, Kyon is the person who serves under Haruhi's direct command. That's how she could stay close to him.
Old 2006-06-19, 09:33   Link #1172
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:

Thoughts?
I'm not sure why the speculation thread is so quiet, the last post there is from me, which is about Kyon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My post in the speculation thread
Alright here's a new theory from me:

It's safer to read if you've already read novel 1, since my theory comes from it. Actually it just came to my mind while I was reading through it the 2nd time.

Spoiler for Kyon's role towards Haruhi:

Old 2006-06-19, 10:04   Link #1173
Anime Online

Yes, I see what you mean. It's entirely possible, since Kunikida did mention Kyon always liked weird girls at Episode 02, 12:10. And Kyon seemed to be quite taken by Haruhi's weirdness (Episode 02, 07:07), the way he noted her hair pattern, how she'll temporarily join clubs, etc.

Perhaps Haruhi was subconsciously looking for a guy who likes weird girls to join her club.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-19, 12:31   Link #1174
PastPrime

Quote:
Yes, I see what you mean. It's entirely possible, since Kunikida did mention Kyon always liked weird girls at Episode 02, 12:10. And Kyon seemed to be quite taken by Haruhi's weirdness (Episode 02, 07:07), the way he noted her hair pattern, how she'll temporarily join clubs, etc.

Perhaps Haruhi was subconsciously looking for a guy who likes weird girls to join her club.
Actually, if I have read correctly
Spoiler:
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-19, 13:17   Link #1175
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime
Actually, if I have read correctly
Spoiler:
It could have been a love at first sight and she wished to meet him again. But I've heard of something else thats between Haruhi and Kyon, I haven't read so far into the novels yet so I won't evaluate further.

Old 2006-06-19, 14:06   Link #1176
Truth-kun
Do the Penguin Dance!

From the anime standpoint, it might be clear that the reason why Kyon is selected to be the co-founder of SOS-dan is because the idea of it came from him. The only unclear part about it is why Haruhi chose Kyon. That question may be answered deep into the novel, but alas I don't know much beyond Volume 1.
Old 2006-06-21, 00:34   Link #1177
Devin

After watching up to episode 12, i gotta say Kyon is one of the most non-chalant anime characters, next to spike spiegal.
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 07:20   Link #1178
fungTS

Quote:
Hiya, my fellow brethren!
We welcome you with open arms! (provided you're an alien, time traveller, planeswalker or an esper)

LoL. Just kidding.

Singapore eh? If you can read Chinese than you're in luck.
The novels are translated into Chinese by 台灣角川書店
http://www.walkersnet.com.tw/fiction...-D48A5F082AA6}
Just print out that page and go to the nearest Comics Connection to order from them.

If you're not a member, they can be quite expensive.
Member price is about SG$13 per novel, which is still quite costly.

I ordered the first 5 volumes, hopefully they arrive this week. :x
Hi, first time posting here. Dunno if this had been asked before but does anyone know whether this translator is doing vol 6-8 too? The URl link only showed vol 1-5. By the way, good to see some fellow Singapore Haruhi fans.
fungTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 07:53   Link #1179
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungTS
Hi, first time posting here. Dunno if this had been asked before but does anyone know whether this translator is doing vol 6-8 too? The URl link only showed vol 1-5. By the way, good to see some fellow Singapore Haruhi fans.
Volume 5 (chinese) was just released in May 2006, so yes, translation work is still continuing.. just at a slower pace. Don't expect V6 anytime soon; I'm guessing it'll be a couple of months.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 08:50   Link #1180
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Actually, I think volume 6 (chinese) is out in Taiwan. Some guy posted the stuffs he bought at the 台灣角川 light novels festival, and in the picture were volumes 1-6 and some Shana merchandise.

http://www.walkersnet.com.tw/fiction/news.asp

However, I don't know when Comics Connection will import the novels over.

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen