AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-15, 11:31   Link #81
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Wait, when did this happened?
Jail and the Huckebein are two examples.

There doesn't appear to be any sort of democratic system in place, so what gives the Bureau it's legitimacy? Because they say so and have enough power so no one can argue?

And they're surprised that crime is high?
Old 2011-12-15, 11:51   Link #82
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
But they've shown to not only categorize under developed planets, but also interferes with them without the consent of the ruling party.
Like every other government and powerful corporation out there if we look on Earth modern (and not so modern) history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
There doesn't appear to be any sort of democratic system in place, so what gives the Bureau it's legitimacy? Because they say so and have enough power so no one can argue?
Bureau is not government. Local planetary governments are governments. And Bureau have only that power that local governments concede to them. Pretty clear when administered planet tell to stay out of they civil war and Burau stay out.

PS. Bureau is more like UN (peacekeepers) with teeth.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
Old 2011-12-15, 12:09   Link #83
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by al103 View Post
Like every other government and powerful corporation out there if we look on Earth modern (and not so modern) history?
Yeah, but that doesn't mean it's right.
Old 2011-12-15, 12:16   Link #84
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Not sure that was the question addressed.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2011-12-16, 02:11   Link #85
LostSome

Since Hayate told the Hucks that she would hunt them down anywhere even outside TSAB`s jurisdiction, I say that TSAB is pretty self-righteous.
Or at least, Hayate is.

Is there any form of independant media on Mid ?
The lack of journalists, paparazzis and how easily TSAB can cover almost anything has always troubled me...
Old 2011-12-16, 02:19   Link #86
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
No room in story for the format, but yeah makes me think of black magic m-66 and how this isn't that.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2011-12-18, 16:35   Link #87
Nagumo
Random Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSome View Post
Since Hayate told the Hucks that she would hunt them down anywhere even outside TSAB`s jurisdiction, I say that TSAB is pretty self-righteous.
Or at least, Hayate is.

Is there any form of independant media on Mid ?
The lack of journalists, paparazzis and how easily TSAB can cover almost anything has always troubled me...
Well, we do know they have something like a television network of some sort.
From SSX 1

Newswoman: This is Midchilda MBC News. We are at the scene of the crime at a large department store Firize by coastline. From the 27th floor, we can see smoke rising/escaping from the windows. We’re still not sure of the extent of the damage but there has been an explosion in the 27th floor event hall. One male victim has been confirmed dead.
The hall had been convening an antique art exhibition and the man had been involved with the art exhibition… Ah, that’s an Armed Forces helicopter flying up there! It looks like that this is no accident.
A similar string of terrorist incidents has happened/occurred on Faurus and Weizen (Vaizen), whether there is a connection or not, hasn’t been confirmed. We are waiting for a TSAB announcement/statement. The recent string of terrorist incidents have…

Alto: Jeez, it’s great that TV stations/crews are so quick with their job but I sure hope that they’re following/cooperating with the information/news control/restrictions?…
Ginga: Well, they’re only doing their jobs the best they can…

It seems that the media of Midchilda is rather similar to Japanese media. I believe there is a high level of collusion between major media and government/TSAB to hush up certain stuff.
Old 2011-12-18, 18:22   Link #88
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Unsurprisingly, given the author's experience with media it was to be expected that Mid media resembles Japanese media.
Old 2011-12-18, 18:37   Link #89
Justin_Brett

Well every major news channel in an American production is Fox News, so that's nothing new.
Old 2011-12-23, 02:12   Link #90
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Something that i've been thinking about....

Waay back when StrikerS first came out I recall there being a shitstorm of sorts over how the Bureau was employing child soldiers in the form of Erio, Caro, and some of the support staff.

However, consider Nanoha and A's. Chrono is barely 11 and is a serving officer; Nanoha and Fate are accepted as private contractors, Amy is a bridge operator... where was the shitstorm then?

...yes, I am asking this about 4 years too late, perhaps, but this only just occurred to me.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2011-12-23, 02:29   Link #91
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Chrono was 14, not 11.
Old 2011-12-23, 02:40   Link #92
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

IIRC, for Caro it was less about her age and more about using her as a weapon due to her then-uncontrollable summons.
Old 2011-12-23, 11:20   Link #93
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
IIRC, for Caro it was less about her age and more about using her as a weapon due to her then-uncontrollable summons.
Of course, no one among the viewers had any evidence that this adorable, frightened girl was actually all that dangerous.

It was at least twelve episodes before Voltaire was revealed in all of his flying-Godzilla-esque glory. And by then, Caro had actually learned how to control her summons.

Back when she COULDN'T control them, she STILL had the power to summon Voltaire.

Of course, even knowing all of this, it's still not enough concrete evidence that she was actually all that dangerous. For one thing, we don't know if Voltaire CAN be controlled, or if he politely acceeds to his summoner's requests.

For another, we don't know if she could accidentally summon a dragon.

As "revealed" in one fanfic, it wasn't that Caro was dangerous in and of herself that her tribe exiled her. It was because they were adamantly opposed to being drawn back into the outside world, especially for conflict. They were tired of being used as war assets.

Someone with Caro's power would have drawn notice and brought people looking to recruit by hook or crook. Her tribe decided to sacrifice her to those wolves in order to keep their own peace.

The TSAB agents who first got a hold of her might have misunderstood the tribe's gesture. They might have thought it meant that Caro inherently could not be trusted or controlled with her power, and so none of them thought it was feasible to even TRY training her.

And if you suddenly found yourself with a child who would inevitably destroy everything around her, you would be faced with the decision to mercy-kill her or to put her somewhere where her death might count for something.

Or you could take a gamble, like Fate did.
Old 2011-12-29, 23:55   Link #94
Sunder the Gold

I seem to recall a scene set between The Original Season and A's where Yuuno and Chrono are talking about how well Yuuno's mana reserved have recovered since the beginning, and how he's finally back up to full strength.

Only, I can't seem to find such a thing in the manga or Sound Stage transcripts.

What I did find was a similar conversation set AFTER A's, at the sakura-viewing party.

Can anyone find the first, pre-A's conversation, or did I wildly misremember the post-A's conversation?
Old 2011-12-30, 12:42   Link #95
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

^ Whit this we can assume that Yuuno fights the enterity of Season One handicapped?

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-12-30, 14:56   Link #96
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
^ Whit this we can assume that Yuuno fights the enterity of Season One handicapped?
Yes. At no point in Season One did he really take the time to fully recover his strength.

The question is whether or not he did before A's, or if he spent all of the SECOND season still handicapped.
Old 2011-12-30, 15:20   Link #97
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Not entirely, I think. I know that Yuuno does mention in the anime that he's recovered enough strength to continue after the Jewel Seeds on his own, if Nanoha would return Raising Heart.
Old 2011-12-30, 15:34   Link #98
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Not entirely, I think. I know that Yuuno does mention in the anime that he's recovered enough strength to continue after the Jewel Seeds on his own, if Nanoha would return Raising Heart.
Nope.

After their first encounter with Fate, and after Arf shows up out of nowhere to threaten them at the out-of-town hot springs, Yuuno has started to seriously fear for Nanoha's safety.

He doesn't ask for Raising Heart back (if such a thought would even occur to him, he'd probably pass it off as the "reward" he promised her), and he doesn't claim that he's recovered at all (since he'd keep on going even if he wasn't recovered).

All he said was that he thought it would be better for Nanoha if he broke ties with her, with the implication of "before this gets more dangerous."

As for Fate, Arf and Chrono, I'll point out that none of them were injured or exhausted as badly as Yuuno was. The incompatibility might not be a problem for someone who's in better health or who has enough mana left in their Linker Core.

Whenever Fate suffered the worst damage and exhaustion in the original series, she recovered in the Garden of Time or the Arthra.

Arf is a familiar who naturally transforms, rather than using a learned spell. That and her inhuman nature might have contributed to a better recovery than Yuuno's after escaping from Precia. Also, Arf might have merely being suffering from physical injuries rather than total Linker Core exhaustion.

And yeah, Yuuno totally spent himself out, since he used the last of his energy to heal his wounds. His Linker Core emptied out and had nothing left to draw on but the energy of an unfamiliar planet.

Then again, Nanoha LOST most of her Core itself, and recovered both the Core and her energy far more quickly than a whole year. But, Earth is her home planet.

When it happened to Fate, by that time, she'd already spent time on Earth, which would allow acclimation.

Also, both of them recieved Midchildan medical treatment that Yuuno did not, in the original season.
Old 2011-12-31, 04:36   Link #99
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
I call BS on the whole "earth's mana is different and makes it hard to use magic".

Magic is Magic.

Otherwise the Wolkenritter would not have been able to absorb magic from those monsters, yet they did.

So, it's total BS and should be ignored as non-canon.

Besides, Fate recovered in her penthouse apartment.

Also, no mention of it in StrikerS by ANYONE when they went to Earth during the Sound Stages.
Well, you could say that food is food, but some people do get allergies.
Old 2011-12-31, 09:44   Link #100
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
I can see both sides of it.

Neither the series nor the movie mention anything about how mana can be different from place to place, or that people would might have issues with it. Every magic-using character is shown using their magic the same as always, no matter where they are. It's ONLY mentioned in the movie manga, and seems to be something of a ret-con to try and explain any problems Yuuno had, and perhaps diminish his role (and thus, enable the series to focus more on Nanoha and Fate).

I can also understand the logic that it might be a bit different. Everyone is different, and we all adapt to things differently. Even the very air we breathe. Human beings live at various elevations in the world, and if you were to move from a low elevation to a high elevation, you would have a bit of trouble breathing. Everyone else there is fine, because they've adapted after living there so long.

This could partially explain why Nanoha was able to beat Fate (Fate wasn't quite used to the different mana on earth yet). But no mention is made of it. So it is simultaneously a logical explanation, and a poor explanation. And I can very much imagine the reason why it is solely imposed on Yuuno.
Closed Thread